closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How many times has a supermarket ripped you off?

How many times has a supermarket ripped you off?

last week, sainsbury's tried to rip me off on a supposedly on offer item,and charged me £2.40 more than they should .
    This week asda tried it with cereals. "Oh the offer has finished and the price has gone back up, we just havent altered it back yet" yeah right, barstewards.

They must make millions on ripping people off who dont check their receipts. How convenient its impossible to regulate this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sainsburys seem to be very good at leaving offers up on the shelves and not applying them at the till.

Master
    Yeah - loads of times.
    My wife and I were just on about this tonight, last week Sainsbury's had a clear BOGOF deal on salad cream......went home and charged £2.35 twice :-(
    It's not really the money - it's the bloody principle.
    Local CO-OP is always doing similar with my wife and it bugs her no end.

Master
    yep sainsburys have done me a few times as well. BOGOF offers, charge for both items or charge you higher price than advertised on offers. sometimes i'm in too much of a hurry to wait at the customer services desk so don't bother with the refund. sods

Yes, I've begun to watch the till read-out a little more these days - it's quite common for it to differ from the shelf price IME.

Mind you, the supermarket practice that really gets my goat is where they put a yellow 'discount' ticket beneath something that is actually more expensive per 100g than the corresponding smaller-sized product right next to it.

I think it's misleading and it targets those more likely to be trusting (such as the elderly).

I shop at Waitrose, so every shop is a nice smug rip-off.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    You should keep an eye on the offers...

Tesco,for instance,refund you double the incorrectly charged amount. My local one is rubbish at removing offer labels from the toy section that have expired. So,a three for two offer that has expired the day before spotted..you take the three toys through the tills and pay. Then go to customer services..they refund you twice what you have overpaid so you basically get 3 for 1. My kids/nephews/nieces have benefited from this a lot!
    Sainsburys do something similar.

Liz & I have dumped Sainsbury and now use Aldi - saving a load of money and very surprised with the quality of everything so far.

I read a survey last weekend comparing the cost of a basket of similar groceries from the main supermarkets. Morrisons were cheapest when selecting their own "Value" range but were £10 dearer than ASDA when selecting similar products from the big brands.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

When I do a big shop, I pay and then pull forward a bit, stand near the wall and have a quick check of my receipt to see the BOGOF items have been applied correctly. Also just a quick scan of other items to see the price looks correct.

Thankfully, I don't do big shops that often.

Yes, I always pull over and have a read or if i'm with the other half, she'll check as I carry the bags... quite a few times we've had to stop off at the customer services desk... always get a refund though and often more than was overcharged to compensate.

Master
    Up until about a year ago Tesco's had a flaw in their system.

I'd look out for items in their reduced section that were also on bogoff's, so if you found 2 bits of cheddar reduced from £3 to say £1.25 - the till would register 2 items @ £1.25, and then also credit back the full £3 value of the bogoff offer.............. so you'd be getting 2 free lumps of cheddar, and they were paying you 50p to take it away. But they appear to have wised up now, so it doesn't happen any longer.

Tesco will give you the item free if they did such a cock up. Or they did about a year ago. The number of times I've resisted going back and buying all the stock based on this policy...

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    I shop at Waitrose, so every shop is a nice smug rip-off.
    Ah, but Waitrose has very good bread. (My local Safeway transmogrified into a Waitrose a few years back.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    One thing that's annoying me about supermarkets is out of date stock, or nearly out of date stuff, in the last 3 visits to sainsbury's we've picked up something out of date, it always grates me that you see dozens of staff members, but they have no time for stock rotation, or providing more than 2 checkouts, what the hell do they do all day long?

After the last time, and with the total disaster, we've pretty much stopped going to Sainsbury's.

Asda - Twin packet of HobKnobs, special price of £2 or 2 single packs for 75p each.
    They ran out of single packs, so I broke open the twin pack and took the (now) single packs to the till and they scanned at 75p. Thieves.
    And yes they were the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Yes, I've begun to watch the till read-out a little more these days - it's quite common for it to differ from the shelf price IME.

Mind you, the supermarket practice that really gets my goat is where they put a yellow 'discount' ticket beneath something that is actually more expensive per 100g than the corresponding smaller-sized product right next to it.

I think it's misleading and it targets those more likely to be trusting (such as the elderly).

Don't for one minute believe that the special offers, price-downs and BOGOFF deals are coming from the supermarkets' bottom line.

Any supplier will have some extremely onerous clauses in their contract which oblige them to participate in a certain number of these offers at specified rates and at certain times of the year. The supermarket buys the goods in at the standard rate, then deducts the reductions in price when they next pay the supplier, on 60 days or longer* as agreed.

It's not just the preserve of the supermarkets, as the sheds (B&Q, Homebase etc) are the same. All buyers for these multiple retailers must go on courses (basic areseholedom, advanced areseholedom and so on). This is the underlying reason behind the recent milk price scandal - the retailers don't give a stuff whether the supplier is making a loss. In their minds, the suppliers should be grateful that they've got a contract.

The supply contract will also specify shelf space, shelf location (middle shelf means that the goods move faster, top shelf doesn't sell as well, bottom shelf goods really hang around).

Put this treatment of suppliers alongside the fact that the retailers are a cash business (as in they're not offering credit terms to their customers - you pay before you walk out with the goods), but pay their suppliers on anything up to 105 days, and it's not surprising they're awash with cash, and have their own banks which means that they can lend a proportion of this surplus cash to their customers - does anybody have a Tesco or Sainsburys Bank credit card?

*Around three years ago Halfords wrote to all of their suppliers to advise them that they would henceforth be paid on 90 days (terms were previously 60 days). Take it or leave it. Imagine the effect on a supplier, suddenly having to fund an additional 30 days? Word spread, and 90 days pretty much became the standard terms for supplying most of the supermarkets, sheds and other multiples.

The notable exception is the John Lewis Partnership, who treat their suppliers with a degree of respect and fairness largely unknown in the wider sector.

And Waitrose have a lot of "3 for 2" offers on at the moment. So I'm completely sorted for granola and organic tofu for a good few months!

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Ah, but Waitrose has very good bread. (My local Safeway transmogrified into a Waitrose a few years back.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

My local Waitrose gets bread from a local bakery (Gails' in Exmouth Market). My primary reasons for choosing Waitrose are their pastries and strawberries though.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Don't for one minute believe that the special offers, price-downs and BOGOFF deals are coming from the supermarkets' bottom line.
    Correct- petty much all FMCG BOGOFs will be paid for by the supplier. Its an oligopoly the supplier will always get screwed.

*Around three years ago Halfords wrote to all of their suppliers to advise them that they would henceforth be paid on 90 days (terms were previously 60 days). Take it or leave it. Imagine the effect on a supplier, suddenly having to fund an additional 30 days? Word spread, and 90 days pretty much became the standard terms for supplying most of the supermarkets, sheds and other multiples.
    Years ago I worked for a national retailer who already had a 180 day sale-or-return policy on all goods and a 90 day payment policy. They then got into a bit of financial bother and forced suppliers to move to 60 day return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Asda - Twin packet of HobKnobs, special price of £2 or 2 single packs for 75p each.
    They ran out of single packs, so I broke open the twin pack and took the (now) single packs to the till and they scanned at 75p. Thieves.
    And yes they were the same size.
    Yes, exactly. I'm all for marketing freedom so long as there's a bit of transparency. I don't like the changes in font size that mask the difference in price per 100g (a standard measure) either.

Any supplier will have some extremely onerous clauses in their contract which oblige them to participate in a certain number of these offers at specified rates and at certain times of the year. The supermarket buys the goods in at the standard rate, then deducts the reductions in price when they next pay the supplier, on 60 days or longer* as agreed.
    Yes - although I believe that's all changing, Ian.

There's an EU payments directive coming our way that will govern the amount of time buyers can pay sellers to 60 days max (with some exceptions).

Howevever, the effect will also be to reduce liquidity (i.e. access to working capital) at the buyer's end.

Invoices will have to be settled within 30 days if no period is set.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Yes, exactly. I'm all for marketing freedom so long as there's a bit of transparency. I don't like the changes in font size that mask the difference in price per 100g (a standard measure) either.

Yes - although I believe that's all changing, Ian.

There's an EU payments directive coming our way that will govern the amount of time buyers can pay sellers to 60 days max (with some exceptions).

Howevever, the effect will also be to reduce liquidity (i.e. access to working capital) at the buyer's end.

Invoices will have to be settled within 30 days if no period is set.

It's difficult to see this happening, to be honest. The influence of the major retailers will ensure that it doesn't, as their entire business models are geared around screwing their suppliers in any way that they can. I suspect that it will go the same way as suppliers being able to charge interest for late payment.

The retailers have the resources to ensure that the market continues to operate to their benefit.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

It's difficult to see this happening, to be honest. The influence of the major retailers will ensure that it doesn't, as their entire business models are geared around screwing their suppliers in any way that they can. I suspect that it will go the same way as suppliers being able to charge interest for late payment.

The retailers have the resources to ensure that the market continues to operate to their benefit.

Regards

Ian
    I know what you mean about the power of the supermarkets.

This seems like it's in the bag though - it's already agreed so the question is when it will be implemented. Was supposed to be this year but now plans are for 2013. It's going to shake up the average corporate a little.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...uestioned.html#

Journeyman
    To be honest, I like it when Tesco mess up. Their policy is to refund double the value of the mistake.

I bought 6 bottles of very nice wine that was £10 per bottle, reduced to £5.

So, expected bill £30.

Got to the till, bill was £60. The shelf edge offer was out of date.

Complained to customer services.

The error was a £30 over charge, so, I was given £60 back as compensation.

I had to pay the £30 that I had expected to pay, so, I walked out with 6 bottles of nice wine, and and extra £30 in my pocket.

Ohhhhh yea, and the club card points :0)

Just know your rights, and check your receipts.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post

Tesco stopped the 'we will refund your money and give you the product' as they were getting hammered
    Yep, but they did replace it with a policy to give you double the over charge back in cash.

You can make his work in your favour.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
    Tesco will give you the item free if they did such a cock up. Or they did about a year ago. The number of times I've resisted going back and buying all the stock based on this policy...
    Yes, but they happily put the wrong price labels in front of products, so you think you are buying the one on offer etc. This is in every supermarket and can not be by chance!!!
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm fairly positive that any errors are simply that - I can't imagine anyone in the big four realising they could increase their margin through errant pricing.

Having said that, senior management must see the MI so...

Don't shop at Sainsburys - mostly full of people who think they are treating themselves to a bit of a 'posh shop'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Been trying out the delivery service with Sainsbury's and discovered that if they can't fulfil your order then they charge you the price of the replacement item which tends to be much more expensive! Other's match the price. Moral is check your bill!

Online shopping is the way to go. I just simply cannot fathom why anyone would physically want to go into a supermarket packed full of people instead of having their weekly shop delivered. Ocado is the way to go, I have tried all the supermarkets and Ocado (Waitrose) has been by far the best in terms of quality. Don't know if it necessarily costs more but surely someone would be happier to pay a bit more for a chicken if they know it has led a good life and as such tastes better? Anyway I doubt these days there is much of a price differential between Waitrose and the others, I would guess perhaps 15% at most.

I know going shopping is a pain, but at least you can see exactly what your getting. Being a veggie, I really have to see the fruit and veg myself thankyou. This means I also like to go to the farmers market on wednesday, and get soem really tasty and different stuff you cannot get in the s/markt. You wouldnt believe the taste difference.

Anyone want to borrow my wife? You won't get ripped off with her on your case. They have Wanted posters of her at all the Customer Service desks in north Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    I know going shopping is a pain, but at least you can see exactly what your getting. Being a veggie, I really have to see the fruit and veg myself thankyou. This means I also like to go to the farmers market on wednesday, and get soem really tasty and different stuff you cannot get in the s/markt. You wouldnt believe the taste difference.
    Yeah, I quite like walking around, seeing what I'm buying, trying new things...it's not quite the same at a computer screen.

That said, I do a big shop no more than once every couple of months, mostly non-perishables and the foods that will last weeks/months. (My wife pops in for fresh stuff and groceries to Waitrose which is close to her workplace).

I like the idea of online shopping but , in reality, have not done it more than twice ever. It's ideal when you are just so ridiculously busy (happens a lot, living in London) you don't have time to take a trip to the supermarket.

Loose new potatoes £3 a kilo at Morrisons yesterday.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Loose new potatoes £3 a kilo at Morrisons yesterday.

Eddie
    Is that good?......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Is that good?......
    Well considering that it's not unusual to buy a 5kg bag of spuds, I'd say that spending £15 on spuds I'd expect at least a 25kg bag.

Eddie

5p carrier bags at M&S but that doesn't affect me much cos I mainly go in for sandwiches which are bagged in their smaller (free) bags.

I have a plan though. If they try charging me for a bag, I'll ask them to put through separate transactions so that I can get as many free bags as needed. I know I'm very sad. But they're taking the mick with their 5p bags!

You could always, oh I dont know, take a bag with you. radical but hey....

You could always, oh I dont know, take a bag with you. radical but hey....
    :smile: ........
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I don't take bags unless I need them

I'm not really one to carry used bags around with me, but, if I can fit my sandwich, drink and crisps into my backpack or shoulder bag, I won't take a carrier.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Well considering that it's not unusual to buy a 5kg bag of spuds, I'd say that spending £15 on spuds I'd expect at least a 25kg bag.

Eddie
    Jeez Eddie - I am so not shop-wise......

The idea of charging for bags has been in Wales for a long time, it is to cut down on the huuuuge number of the things littering the planet and clogging up the seas. I 'd like to hope it does something towards this.

The idea of charging for bags has been in Wales for a long time, it is to cut down on the huuuuge number of the things littering the planet and clogging up the seas. I 'd like to hope it does something towards this.
    They did it in Ireland several years ago, with a noticable drop in street litter. We now take carrier bags with us when we go over. It's about time we did it in the UK IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    They did it in Ireland several years ago, with a noticable drop in street litter. We now take carrier bags with us when we go over. It's about time we did it in the UK IMO.
    Benn tried loads of time - pretty much zero success.

Given the till price at most supermarkets a few bags at 5p are naff all in proportion to the circa £100 plus bill.

Better answer is provide no bags.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Benn tried loads of time - pretty much zero success.

Given the till price at most supermarkets a few bags at 5p are naff all in proportion to the circa £100 plus bill.

Better answer is provide no bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    5p carrier bags at M&S but that doesn't affect me much cos I mainly go in for sandwiches which are bagged in their smaller (free) bags.

I have a plan though. If they try charging me for a bag, I'll ask them to put through separate transactions so that I can get as many free bags as needed. I know I'm very sad. But they're taking the mick with their 5p bags!
    Ever thought why they do charge for bags? To stop those idiotic people who put one bottle of Coke in one and then start a new bag?
    Consider how many of these almost non-degradable bags linger on landfills, in rivers and generally strewn about?

Is 5 pence really going to affect you? If so, perhaps M&S isn't the place for you to shop. Or is proving some silly point, wasting your time and theirs, your prime motivation?

Master
    In response to the original question, several times. I try to shop at supermarkets as little as possible, but with one of the small Tescos over the road from my office, I inevitably end up having to buy lunch there at least once a week. They have some sort of "meal deal" by which one can buy a sandwich, a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate for (I think) £3. The proper tills register this; the useless self-service things don't and charge the full price for the individual items which is usually around 80p more. As Tesco appear to have deleted most of their staff and usually have 1 proper till open and 8 self-service ones, this either means waiting for the normal till, or paying a 20% surcharge to go through slightly quicker.

I can't describe the contempt I have for the sort of company that would get rid of its staff, make me serve myself and then charge me a premium for the privilege. The sandwiches are lousy too.
    Last edited by Seabadger; 30th September 2012 at 00:54.

Well, as we know, these mega companies are purely profit motivated. staff are expensive, nasty self service tills dont need paying.. I regret using the awful bdsadt things every time, as I know they will screw up and go wrong/overcharge me. Any excuse to 'accidentally' overcharge customers. How convenient for them.

Master
    Whenever practicable I avoid the self service tills both because they generally annoy me and also because I'm not keen on helping companies lay people off - although I do try my best to avoid the places as far as possible and use proper butchers, bakers, cheese shops, greengrocers, markets, farm shops and so on.

Edit: If I absolutely need to get a supermarket sandwich for lunch, time permitting I'd also rather walk further to Sainsbury which at least employs humans at the tills, and friendlier ones at that.

In agreement there; its a struggle to find a local street with local shops for local people. (Unless its Royston Vasey)

Morrisons have recently started doing offers where only 1 item in a range is on offer and the signs says except ..... but except is in small letters. Got caught out last week when I got a bottle of Listerine.

Master
    "Ever thought why they do charge for bags? To stop those idiotic people who put one bottle of Coke in one and then start a new bag?
    Consider how many of these almost non-degradable bags linger on landfills, in rivers and generally strewn about?

Is 5 pence really going to affect you? If so, perhaps M&S isn't the place for you to shop. Or is proving some silly point, wasting your time and theirs, your prime motivation?"

Not the brightest reply, but maybe the saddest !

(This isn't just Coke, its M&S Coke,,)
    Last edited by genesos; 30th September 2012 at 23:03.