closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Got "the" call... Tudor content...

Cool Got "the" call... Tudor content...

Hi all

Must say I have been smitten over the Pelagos since it first surfaced earlier this year. I checked out my local Rolex dealer and they were not a seller... however I asked them to order me one anyway.

Got the call earlier this week and hit the shop today. They are "now" Tudor sellers and have the whole range

After close inspection the deal was done and I returned home with what I can only say is a SUPERB watch, a real beauty.

Less chat deano, get on with the pictures...

If anyone does want the full 20 picture slow reveal I can send them to you... but I know this crowd has moved on from the slow reveals to "rip it open and show us" type... so here it is in 5 shots (Q&D)

...well there she is, beautiful dial and hands, crisp bezel, lovely screwed bracelet with a clasp to only dream of.!

Last note, if anyone (must be of good standing on the forum) wants to to get them a Pelagos, or any of the other Tudor watches I can get it for you. I'm over in the UK every month, so will hand carry and RMSD. I'll do this at cost, so no mark up added from what it costs me.

Thanks
    deano

Wonderful watch, congrats!

Congrats indeed, lovely

Master
    As previously said, that is a fine watch. Such a shame we can't see these here in the UK.
    Any chance of an explanation of how the clasp works?
    Cheers,
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    As previously said, that is a fine watch. Such a shame we can't see these here in the UK.
    Any chance of an explanation of how the clasp works?
    Cheers,
    Si.
    Si

I'll do a photo of the operation tomorrow. It's simplicity itself :-)

Thanks
    deano

The more I see of that, the more I like it.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    What size wrist do you have if you don't mind me asking? I was concerned about the size of The Pelagos but looks great here.
    Maybe I'll contact you when I become "of good standing on the forum"
    Great gesture btw.

Journeyman
    That looks great, shame they are not available in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmg View Post
    That looks great, shame they are not available in the UK!
    I agree. That's a great watch.

Master
    I agree that looks v classy.
    +1 please for the clasp design/operation explanation, and wrist size.

To be perfectly honest, the only uncertainty I have with the whole ensemble is with what I assume is a sizing scale on the clasp: it does remind me a bit of some markings on the ancient bacon-slicer in our local gourmet butcher's shop!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deano42 View Post
    Last note, if anyone (must be of good standing on the forum) wants to to get them a Pelagos, or any of the other Tudor watches I can get it for you. I'm over in the UK every month, so will hand carry and RMSD. I'll do this at cost, so no mark up added from what it costs me.
    Super looking watch and have to say this is what enthusiast forums are all about - really nice gesture!

The Pelagos looks great, I was distracted by the Black Bay when all the images came out but the pictures of it I've seen since have left me unimpressed. The Pelagos on the other hand has comparatively slipped under my radar and looks really good in your pictures.

That's a real beauty congratulations on you new watch.

Craftsman
    Well, that's a Nice one! Congratulations.

Like that - congrats
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Great looking watch!

Craftsman
    Love it-very jealous

The more I look at pics of the Pelagos, I have to admit to thinking that the design is actually much more coherent than the current Sub, especially in the way the bracelet integrates with the case - in fact the case looks very much like a subtle evolution of the old Sub.

Craftsman
    Absolutely love the Pelagos..I'm seriously considering selling one of my PO's (who really needs two of the same model) and getting the Pelagos. Your photos have really pushed me towards the decision 'tipping point'. It looks amazing, nothing that doesnt look just right. The clasp adjustment system is a real bonus as I always struggle to get a 'just right' fit on a bracelet......The only thing holding me back is the price for a watch with an ETA 2824.

Anyone for a PO?

Enjoy your fabulous watch in the best of health!

cheers
    Jimmer

Craftsman
    Congratulations Deano! That's an amazing watch.

I had a chance to try one on here in Singapore over the weekend and it is a stunning watch. I was very tempted but decided to hold off as I am looking to spend the funds on non-watch matters...

It's a lovely looking watch but why did they have to make it so big? It's pretty much the same size as a Deepsea (although granted - it is not as thick and much lighter). Being oversized means that probably 60-70% (or more) of potential buyers like myself will not consider it - we are not all fans of the oversized watch look (which is getting slightly passé now anyway) and simply will not spend that kind of money on an "overstated" fashion watch. Richemont have whored out IWC to fashion in the same way and I now have no respect for them. There are no practical reasons for being that large it is purely a fashion thing. 40mm and no more than 12mm thick is wearable/practical for daily wear during all activities and was the standard for a large sports watch from 1950's through to the early 2000's. Being this big means that if worn by anyone who is actually active (or diving), the watch is going to get bashed around a lot more. Being Titanium and therefore softer it's going to look tired quite quickly.

Also take the case back off and you will find a small movement inside a large spacer ring. It's horologically very unsatisfying.

Sorry OP to detract from your purchase. Other than size both the Pelagos and Black Bay are the nicest looking designs to have come out of the Rolex design departments in decades. They have also achieved something quite difficult these days by being both original/distinctive and good looking. So many other brands are original and distinctive but at the cost of looking horrible (including many models from Rolex).
    Last edited by petespendthrift; 10th September 2012 at 06:54.

Journeyman
    Great looking Pelagos but too huge! It would be great if divers were to go back to the decent size of 40mm.

I love it. Good choice. How are you getting on with the weight?

john
    Every watch a story.

Journeyman
    Sydney, Australia; London, United Kingdom

Tudor

Congrats

Love the bezel. That is a very unusual clasp. It looks like Rolex are trying out there more unusual designs via Tudor.

Banned
    I love that! :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
    It's a lovely looking watch but why did they have to make it so big? It's pretty much the same size as a Deepsea (although granted - it is not as thick and much lighter).
    It's 42mm - average for a diver these days, I'd have thought.
    Also take the case back off and you will find a small movement inside a large spacer ring. It's horologically very unsatisfying.
    This winds people up no end, but then they still go out and buy a 45mm+ Omega with a widdly movement ;). The smallest dial size you can have with a 11.5'" movement is about 28mm; an inner bezel 1mm thick and a rotating bezel 4mm thick gives you a bare minimum of 38mm across the bezel before you think about the case. This explains the 40mm traditional diver case size that seems to have been the benchmark up until recently. Another 2mm is probably unnecessary, but look at it this way - compared to almost every other brand out there now, this is pretty restrained!

The date window, always a giveaway, is positioned quite close to the outer edge of the dial, leaving just enough room for a truncated marker.

What I don't quite like about the design is the 22mm lug width. 20mm or 21mm would be better. But that's a small point and subjective anyway.
    Last edited by andrew; 12th September 2012 at 12:38.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Nice looking watch, although I'm not sure about the hour hand. I probably learn to live with it if I had one though.

Lovely take on a diver

Quote Originally Posted by wycni8 View Post
    Nice looking watch, although I'm not sure about the hour hand. I probably learn to live with it if I had one though.

Surely that's THE Tudor signature and the whole point of this watch ? Without a snowflake it could be any other dive watch, from any other company. What makes this exciting for me is that Tudor have brought back the snowflake in a modern interpretation of their classic 94110.

If it came in blue I'd be even more excited