closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sensible purchase advice for a newbie?

Sensible purchase advice for a newbie?

Better start off with saying hello here, so hello! I've only just joined here as it seems to be a top forum for uk knowledge and my passion for watches seems to have increased dramatically recently. I've been looking for something nice to add to my current watch which is a victorinox bought second hand. For the money I paid its a lovely manual watch and I'm really pleased with it. I recently purchased a Christopher ward but it's been sent back as t just didn't excite me as I thought it would and it's made me look at higher end pieces.

Anyway my current likes are a couple of breitlings, super avenger being top of the list but I also like the Tudor heritage very much. I suppose what I'm asking is the best way to value items like this and also how to look out for fakes? I'd rather buy second hand as it seems to make more sense. So any buying tips for me?

Banned

Re: Sensible purchase advice for a newbie?

welcome!

best avice is to take your time, hang out on here and learn more and in due course when you can access sales corner (which is onee of the best places to buuy from) you will soon get a good idea of values.

it will cost you more than you anticipated so use the time to bump up the war chest!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    welcome!

best avice is to take your time, hang out on here and learn more and in due course when you can access sales corner
    Or access using Tapatalk on a mobile and you can access the sales forum etc without having to have done lots of posts, some of them not entirely necessary.

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono

Sorry, that should have read made lots of posts not done lots of posts.

Silly me

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono

I would definitely go down the 2nd hand route, new prices are getting stratospheric and perversely it seems to be a bit of a buyers market at the moment meaning there are sometimes some used bargains to be had on SC. Buying from here should give you peace of mind regarding fakes, I think ebay is more of a minefield but, as is often said - buy the seller!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    welcome!

best avice is to take your time, hang out on here and learn more and in due course when you can access sales corner
    Or access using Tapatalk on a mobile and you can access the sales forum etc without having to have done lots of posts, some of them not entirely necessary.

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono

DON'T do it!

You will have your account terminated and will have to start from scratch with no posts.
    Once you've reached 50 posts you can view SC and pm anyone who's watch you're interested in. You can't post until you've got a post count of 250 or more. This is really to stop people coming on just to access SC. (traders etc). You're only 12 posts short of looking at SC anyway so it's not worth risking it.

Tapatalk is a good way of accessing the forum from your mobile, you just have to be careful with the post counts!

Cheers

Dave

Master

Hi, I've only been on here a few months myself and have enjoyed learning more about watches, particularly some of the lesser known brands that offer fantastic value for money. I also think I'm better now at spotting fakes than I was, they just seem to scream fake now whereas before I wasn't sure, obviously there are more convincing ones around. That's where sc comes in though, you can buy from trusted enthusiasts at fair prices and learn more about values just by browsing. I hope you enjoy TZ as much as me :)

I'll endorse the Tapa talk comment. Just post some sensible comments in the forums you can access and learn the ropes. Your "50" will come round soon enough.

As to which watch, well Breitling and Tudor models mentioned would suggest a sporty leaning rather that a dress watch leaning at the moment. Try looking at some of the other brands like Longines, Hamilton, Tissot etc on the high street. Don't overlook the site owners offering, he has some top quality watches on offer. Price is not everything in this world and Eddie offers you the chance to own something quite seperate and wonderfully made.

I'd echo what's been said. Take your time. What was the Christopher Ward watch that you returned?

By the way, I had a Corrado Storm once. Fantastic car. 8)

Master

hi and welcome,if you want a super avenger go try one on at an ad as there huge!! not for chocolate wrists!!!! in fact look round first at what you fancy go see it and try it in the flesh, then search the for sale section(when you have enough posts) as the savings are massive but obv no warranty.

Master

Are you still a Corrado owner? :)

Thanks for the warm welcome people! im keen to stick around here and just have a browse, im in no real rush to buy just keen to learn at the moment. One of my other main interests is home cinema and i have learnt from buying kit over the years that sometimes its just best to buy what you really want rather than keep upgrading all the time. these kind of hobbies seem to run hand in hand and its also taught me that some fantastic deals can be had by buying secondhand from good sellers and also minimises depreciation so will most likely be going down that route if i can.

In answer to a couple of the replies here ( im no good at multiple quotes! ) no i no longer have the corrado :cry: i owned it over a decade and loved it to bits but in the end it had to go. The name has just stuck and honda accord kid doesnt have the same ring to it!
    The christopher ward that i returned was a c70 monte carlo, id seen it before and when it came up in the sale i jumped at it but was really disapointed when it turned up. not really big enough for me and things like the strap and deployant looked really flimsy in my eyes, shame as i had previously bought my other half a diamond watch from them and its lovely. i suppose its the kind of gamble you take buying like that.

I will try on the super avenger before hand for sure, its just one that has grabbed my eye along with the slightly smaller skyland? My taste is definately for the more sporty style i think but who knows :mrgreen:

You can learn a huge amount here and SC is fantastic if a little expensive! just dropped 2.5k on an explorer - hurrah!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911
    I would definitely go down the 2nd hand route, new prices are getting stratospheric and perversely it seems to be a bit of a buyers market at the moment meaning there are sometimes some used bargains to be had on SC. Buying from here should give you peace of mind regarding fakes, I think ebay is more of a minefield but, as is often said - buy the seller!
    +1...exactly what he said :)

Don`t rush into buying a lot at once, take your time and consider purchases carefully. Buying second hand has many advantages. Sales Corner is a better bet than ebay if you lack experience, but insist on seing good detailed photos to assess cosmetic condition. Far too many poor pictures taken with phones these days.

Don`t be afraid to ask advice on here, there's a lot of expertise on most brands.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911
    +1...exactly what he said :)

Don`t rush into buying a lot at once, take your time and consider purchases carefully. Buying second hand has many advantages. Sales Corner is a better bet than ebay if you lack experience, but insist on seing good detailed photos to assess cosmetic condition. Far too many poor pictures taken with phones these days.

Don`t be afraid to ask advice on here, there's a lot of expertise on most brands.

Paul
    Thanks for the responses, I don't intend to buy a fleet but hopefully when it comes a bit closer to the time I'll be able to pick some brains and hopefully bag a good deal! Thanks all.

Also have a look at the older Chrono Avenger model. Same size (I believe) but much lighter due to the titanium case and bracelet and the duller Ti look makes it less bling.

I used to own one and it was superb value second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24
    Also have a look at the older Chrono Avenger model. Same size (I believe) but much lighter due to the titanium case and bracelet and the duller Ti look makes it less bling.

Thanks another one to add to the list, they look pretty good? One thing I couldn't find a quick answer to do they come in quartz and auto versions?

Master

Spend lots of time looking at watches. That is the only way you will really get up to speed.

Are you ever in London? If you are then spend a few hours on Bond Street and in Harrods, plenty that you won't be able to afford but it will give you a great idea of what is out there, where style ideas originate from, what brands you lust after etc.

Also good to browse posts here and get an awareness for used prices. For example you will find that Breitlings are nearly always discounted in the sales, often by 30 or 40%. You will also find out what the popular and unpopular models in a brands line up are, for example the JLC Squadra is a slow seller compare dto the Reverso and therefore commands discounts.

The most important thing is that you buy watches you like. I've been around the houses and keep coming back to Rolex, no matter what the detractors say!!

Going used is not bad advice, especially if it was a watch like a Bremont which is very difficult to scratch.

Don't be afriad to look at the bottom and top ends of the market. There are some cool watches for under £500.

Be careful with vintage watches, lots of unknowns in a very difficult area.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar
    Spend lots of time looking at watches. That is the only way you will really get up to speed.

Are you ever in London? If you are then spend a few hours on Bond Street and in Harrods, plenty that you won't be able to afford but it will give you a great idea of what is out there, where style ideas originate from, what brands you lust after etc.

Also good to browse posts here and get an awareness for used prices. For example you will find that Breitlings are nearly always discounted in the sales, often by 30 or 40%. You will also find out what the popular and unpopular models in a brands line up are, for example the JLC Squadra is a slow seller compare dto the Reverso and therefore commands discounts.

The most important thing is that you buy watches you like. I've been around the houses and keep coming back to Rolex, no matter what the detractors say!!

Going used is not bad advice, especially if it was a watch like a Bremont which is very difficult to scratch.

Don't be afriad to look at the bottom and top ends of the market. There are some cool watches for under £500.

Be careful with vintage watches, lots of unknowns in a very difficult area.
    Thanks for that, very near London but my Missus gets bored easily shopping so I'll have to find myself a day to sneak up there.

I've had a look at the whole vintage watch thing but gladly I don't get it so will not be going down that road, probably for the best as you say as it appears a minefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp

DON'T do it!

You will have your account terminated and will have to start from scratch with no posts.
    Once you've reached 50 posts you can view SC and pm anyone who's watch you're interested in. You can't post until you've got a post count of 250 or more. This is really to stop people coming on just to access SC. (traders etc). You're only 12 posts short of looking at SC anyway so it's not worth risking it.

Tapatalk is a good way of accessing the forum from your mobile, you just have to be careful with the post counts!
    Though of course of you only use tapa then you don't know what your post counts are so can't tell if you're flaunting the rules (that said, I kind of suspected that I didn't have sufficient for the Bedlinen club, so the trip to the naughty step last night wasn't entirely unexpected).

Anyway, as it is, there's nothing to stop newbies using tapa from reading the sales to get an idea of prices, and - while it may be a flagrant breach of the rules - its a useful resource. The rules as they are, however well intentioned, do nothing to stop dealers buying stock that way.

Indeed, if I'd been able to access the forums from my PC, I might have discovered that the watch I was looking at elsewhere had actually changed hands here for less money than I'd been assured that it had, and - informed - I might have been able to negotiate a better price.

I could of course name and shame, but out appears that I'm not allowed to post to that part of the forum...

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by proby24

Oddly, I ended up buying a nearly new Seawolf Chrono as there was very little difference in price between that and the M1 Chronos that I could find.

That said, I'd probably prefer a nice M1 over the Seawolf, so that might explain why!

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono

That's odd. Are my posts appearing multiple times? Or am I just seeing them multiple times?

I did only send each once (this genuinely isn't me trying to bump up my post count).

--
    Gyp
    Avenger Seawolf Chrono