closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best of British - Brands made in Britain

Re: Best of British - Brands made in Britain

A couple of manufacturers turning out a good product I remember from my days living in the midlands, but perhaps no longer exist or now import finished or semi-finished goods:

Probus Kitchen Utensils - were in Sutton Coldfield and then, I think, moved to the old Reliant factory

C&C Bedding, Dudley - making Cumfilux beds

Beldray, Wolverhampton - making ironing boards and step-ladders.

Brierley Hill Crystal - making crystal glasses, bowls etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by number2
    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Got it in one, in terms of profits/tax it's difficult to tell with many companies using tax havens though. The key thing is to find out where we can pay for goods made by UK citizens, after all they may not always be cheaper but they will be supporting our own economy.
    2012 Olympics, The UK provides the venue, infrastructure, and picks up the tab, China, Korea, Taiwan and others, make the tat (merchandise) probably including the UK team uniforms, and trousers the wedge, yes its cheaper in the short term, but does fuck all for UK PLC. further more rather than showcasing British style and initiative, it just shows the UK up as market traders.
    Bugger im on my soap box again!
    Wholly agree, but part of the reason for this is that we as consumers look for the cheaper option rather than realising that there is a fair price to be paid to produce goods within the UK. I'd rather have a company like Loake that provides both, is up front about it and allows the correct price to be paid rather than have no UK manufacture at all.

In terms of the Olympics, the IOC gains the revenue AFAIK, the BOC doesn't get that much; that's global consumerism.

Here's a few smaller ones local to me. Lifeblood of Britain's economy this sort of thing...

Aspall cider and vinegars

RPC rigid plastic packaging

Harrod: manufacturers of football, hockey and netball nets/goals - Wembley, Twickenham, Bernabéu etc.

Muntons: malt and malt products - sells globally

Orion manufacturing: steel catering equipment

I would have included Avent - bottles stuck in baby's mouths around the globe, but it's been bought out and is part of the Philips Group.

Craftsman

Cycling componets, specifically wheel hubs:

Royce - for road and track, made in New Milton, Hampshire
    Hope - for MTB and road, made in Lancashire

Both are things of beauty and will last a lifetime.

Edwin Jagger, the makers of my Barley Chrome d/e safety razor.

Great thread, bydandie!

Journeyman

Triumph Speed Triple 2011/2012, what a fantastic bike! I want one!!!

Everyone is thankfully aware of the shameful state of affairs at the Hunter Rubber Company (now the Hunter Boot Ltd.)- chinese made and sold to the unsuspecting masses who think they're buying british-made boots from Dumfries.

Wellies as fashion :roll: I feel another thread coming on.. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GregR
    Everyone is thankfully aware of the shameful state of affairs at the Hunter Rubber Company (now the Hunter Boot Ltd.)- chinese made and sold to the unsuspecting masses who think they're buying british-made boots from Dumfries.

Wellies as fashion :roll: I feel another thread coming on.. :lol:
    Just the same as Dyson, made cheaply in the Far East then marketed and sold as a UK premium product, = greater profit margin, once again UK PLC sold down the river GRRRRRR
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

One great wholly British brand is Numatic who make the "Henry" vacuum cleaner amongst others.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Just the same as Dyson, made cheaply in the Far East then marketed and sold as a UK premium product, = greater profit margin, once again UK PLC sold down the river GRRRRRR
    Made relatively cheaply in the Far East, but their R&D department is in the UK. And they do an awful lot of R&D.

So yes, they're expensive, but there's a reason why they're expensive. That doesn't mean they're the best, though.

Do Dyson market themselves as British?
    No argument about Hunter or, even worse, Burberry.

Some fine lead crystal pieces being made in Cirencester :wink:

Wolsley do a "Made in Britain" range

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Molton brown

Banned

Best of British - Brands made in Britain

Pantherella socks are apparently still made in UK

Master

Henry vacuum cleaners are all made in Somerset: - http://www.numatic.co.uk/

Pod Caravans, also made in Somerset: - http://podcaravans.co.uk/

Master

Wouldn't be without my Billingham.

http://www.billingham.co.uk/pages/index.php

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Me.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    You bet they do over here. Striking gentleman, you assume is Dyson himself, speaks throughout the commercial of innovative approaches to old problems. I am surprised by what I've learned in this thread.

My Austin Healey and MG were made in Britain, as was I. But all a long time ago :D
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by demer03
    You bet they do over here. Striking gentleman, you assume is Dyson himself, speaks throughout the commercial of innovative approaches to old problems. I am surprised by what I've learned in this thread.
    Yes thats Jimmy Dyson, makes vacuum cleaners, washing machines and wheel barrows look like 21st century uber cool British products, and charges accordingly premium prices.

As The Man With No Name once said...
    Dont piss on my back and tell me its raining.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Alberg boots....A Yorkshire company who make fantastic quality walking, motorcycling and army boots.
    +1 (some production now outside UK :-( )

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    My Austin Healey and MG were made in Britain, as was I. But all a long time ago :D

All of which, to be fair, leak and break down. :lol:
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by GregR
    Checked mine, deeply disappointed as I remember visiting the factory years ago. Sigh.

There's a common theme developing here. Many brands which are perceived to offer British made goods are, in fact, British based (I was tempted to say British owned, but that's not always the case either) but which are, often for reasons of necessity, manufacturing abroad. As I stated earlier, British industry largely consists of box-shifting.

But the underlying concern is - what would have happened to those companies if they hadn't outsourced their manufacture to Asia (for example)? Manufacturing in Britain would be prohibitively expensive, so the products would be priced out of the market. Which means that the Companies concerned would simply cease to exist and in many cases the Companies themselves would have been sold to foreign investors if they have some intrinsic value, such as patents or IP. So there appears to be a stark choice between calling in the Receivers or having your product made abroad, the same as your competitors, and at least keeping some of the value in Britain.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    There's a common theme developing here. Many brands which are perceived to offer British made goods are, in fact, British based (I was tempted to say British owned, but that's not always the case either) but which are, often for reasons of necessity, manufacturing abroad. As I stated earlier, British industry largely consists of box-shifting.

But the underlying concern is - what would have happened to those companies if they hadn't outsourced their manufacture to Asia (for example)? Manufacturing in Britain would be prohibitively expensive, so the products would be priced out of the market. Which means that the Companies concerned would simply cease to exist and in many cases the Companies themselves would have been sold to foreign investors if they have some intrinsic value, such as patents or IP. So there appears to be a stark choice between calling in the Receivers or having your product made abroad, the same as your competitors, and at least keeping some of the value in Britain.
    I dont think this would be a problem if it wasnt for the fact that whilst shipping the manufacturing to Aisia to remain competetive, they lowered their RRP accordingly, a pair of Chinese wellingtons for example can be bought for less than £10.00, but stick a Hunter label on them, well you know the rest, the same applies to Dyson, with all costs taken into account, including R&D, manufacture, shipping, taxes and advertising one of his cleaners probably has a cost per unit of around £25.00GBP

Depends on what you value. There's often the dichotomy between economic value to a company of staying in business and the value of keeping things made in Britain (by which people usually mean keeping Britons employed).
    A few years ago I visited one of the well known mass-market whisky distilleries. Thirty years ago, it employed hundreds. Today, the vast plant had perhaps 10 people on site and virtually every process had been automated. The machinery was French and German, the software American. Made in Britain?

Banned

Depends on what you value. There's often the dichotomy between economic value to a company of staying in business and the value of keeping things made in Britain (by which people usually mean keeping Britons employed).
    A few years ago I visited one of the well known mass-market whisky distilleries. Thirty years ago, it employed hundreds. Today, the vast plant had perhaps 10 people on site and virtually every process had been automated. The machinery was French and German, the software American. Made in Britain?
    The issue is that we aren't valuing british-made goods in the same manner as many of our european cousins; choice is great, and we should be allowed to choose between paying more for british-made goods or less for non-british made goods. We should also realise that a lot of what we buy cheaply results in sub-standard working conditions elsewhere, which is a reason I don't shop at Primark etc (apart from the fact that there stuff won't fit me anyway!). But then I buy an iPhone, which like most electronic goods is made in that way. There's a point though, is Linn still made in scotland?

In terms of the whisky trade, that is still made in the UK; does it really matter that Pernod-Ricard etc own the brands if they still employ people in the region? Yes there is automation, but that's progress.

Master

With regards to manufacturing in the UK, I thought that all the high-volume, low-cost, boring stuff like toys, mass-market clothes, and perhaps even wellies, has gone to Asia. But we still have loads of incredibly successful high-tech engineering manufacturing. For automotive and the aeronautic industries, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100

All of which, to be fair, leak and break down. :lol:
    Outrageous :D

I forgot: Tunworth, Blacksticks Blue, Old Winchester and Cheddar cheeses.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned

Best of British - Brands made in Britain

Tunnocks wafers and many fine real ales

Indeed. We are the ale centre of the planet. Nowhere else makes a beer comparable.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Tunnocks wafers and many fine real ales
    Good call 8)

Master

Should we discount foreign owned but manufactured in UK?
    Yes profits might be repatriated but surely employing British Workers and paying UK taxes is a good thing.
    My Toyota is "Japanese" but was manufactured in the UK, I'm happy with that.
    Better than a British Brand manufactured overseas, profits going to a British owner who hides them in tax havens abroad.
    British made, British owned by British resident exported overseas, is of course the best, economically!

Well if we're talking Tunnocks then we better also include the very British Irn Bru :)

Magazines:
    Mayfair,
    Men Only,
    Club,
    Knave,
    Escort,
    Razzle...

Books:

Iain M Banks,
    Conan Doyle,
    Agatha Christie,
    Tolkien,
    Dickens...

Cars:
    TVR,
    MG,
    Jaguar,
    Rolls Royce,
    Land Rover...

Master

I am biased, but manufacturers to the two best sports in the world

Quote Originally Posted by baz osti
    Also Belstaff but some of it is made in Italy I believe.
    Nearly right. All of it has been made in Italy for quite sometime time now since it was saved from extinction by an Italian who has now sold out to the Swiss :lol:, so we'll see if they keep up the MII side of things.

Pantherella, HJ Hall(dropped by the MOD 2years ago),Scott Nichol,Corg, Jarbon for socks.
    Sunspel pretty much the UK's only mens underwear manufacturer.
    T&A, Emma Willis, Barrinton Ayre(only found these guys a few weeks back),Hilditch & Key,Ede and Ravenscroft and Rayner and Sturges to name the best and better ones for shirts.
    DS Dundee,S.E.H Kelly, Private VC White,Merrow,Terrace Production,Heritage Research,Perigrine and House Of Billingham for a nice selection of clothing.
    Hype,StLeonards,Henry Tomkins,Chapman,Ettinger, H J Highett and Sebastien Tarek for a selection of leather goods.
    Molton Brown,Arran Aromatics,Lush,Crabtree-Evelyn etc for bodycare products.
    North Sea Clothing, Highland 2000, Hawick Knitwear,Johnsons of Elgin,E-tauz, Savile Rogue amongst loads of others for knitwear.
    Darlington Crystal,Abbyhorn,Linley,Duvetstore,Lancashire Textiles,William Turner, GP & J Baker for a load household goods.....

And i think that should do for now apart from....

R W SMITH for watches :wink:

Hardy fishing gear
    Davida helmets
    Rab outdoor clothing

Quote Originally Posted by daggartuk
    Rab outdoor clothing
    Not for sometime now so as a replacement i suggest Peter Hutchinson.

As mentioned previously, Britian has some fine Consulting Engineers:- (Ove) Arup, (Sir William)Halcrow, Gifford & Partners, Sir Owen Williams, Scott Wilson to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura
    Magazines:
    Mayfair,
    Men Only,
    Club,
    Knave,
    Escort,
    Razzle...

Books:

Iain M Banks,
    Conan Doyle,
    Agatha Christie,
    Tolkien,
    Dickens...

Cars:
    TVR,
    MG,
    Jaguar,
    Rolls Royce,
    Land Rover...

Oh yes - leading the world of high brow mags ;)

TVR - Gone :(
    MG - Chinese
    Jaguar - Indian
    Rolls Royce - German
    Land Rover - Indian

:cry:
    It's just a matter of time...

Morgan Motors of Malvern?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Morgan Motors of Malvern?
    Pretty sure they still are, as are Bristol.

According to the website Bristol Cars is "...the only luxury car manufacturer that remains in private British hands".

Judging by the quality of English on the website, the advertising copy is outsourced to China.

"We pursue a mindset that designs and builds our cars with a useful life of many decades in mind" ?????

"The Series 6 range are not strictly new cars as they are based on an older classic donor car but combine a concours restoration with extensive modifications that incorporate modern electrics and powertrain". Ah yes, those plurals can be tricky when English is not your mother tongue.

Master

I work in manufacturing and always have. The last 10 years has seen a flood of "off-shoring" driven by a wild sense of "it must be the right thing to do" rather than detailed economics or a any real long-term vision of what would happen once we lost our ability to compete.

We are now seeing prices of goods made in China rising steadily with labour rates tripling, shipping costs fluctuating but generally rising and issues with quality and reliability of supply brought on by the sheer distance, power shortages, and many other things which would not apply to domestic production.

The good news is that the trend is definitely reversing and many companies have either started to bring production back or are looking to do so. The bad news is that we've let our skills base wither to the point where it is becoming really difficult to hire the right craftsmen and techinicians. This situation will take a generation to fix, or at least it would if those in higher education had realised this and galvanised themselves to react rather than spend their time chasing funding whilst continuing to pedal the same subjects aimed at a few old market segments.

Another thing that most folk don't realise is this statistic - around 95% of UK manufacturing businesses are small or medium enterprises that you will never of heard of as they are either buried under multiple tiers of supply chains or they make small niche products you wouldn't notice.

UK manufacturing is alive and on the rebound and given the right support it can significantly contribute to the economic recovery. Let's keep buying British.

(Steps off soapbox)

Daystate air rifles .The very best you can get.
    http://daystate.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    I work in manufacturing and always have. The last 10 years has seen a flood of "off-shoring" driven by a wild sense of "it must be the right thing to do" rather than detailed economics or a any real long-term vision of what would happen once we lost our ability to compete.

We are now seeing prices of goods made in China rising steadily with labour rates tripling, shipping costs fluctuating but generally rising and issues with quality and reliability of supply brought on by the sheer distance, power shortages, and many other things which would not apply to domestic production.

The good news is that the trend is definitely reversing and many companies have either started to bring production back or are looking to do so. The bad news is that we've let our skills base wither to the point where it is becoming really difficult to hire the right craftsmen and techinicians. This situation will take a generation to fix, or at least it would if those in higher education had realised this and galvanised themselves to react rather than spend their time chasing funding whilst continuing to pedal the same subjects aimed at a few old market segments.

Another thing that most folk don't realise is this statistic - around 95% of UK manufacturing businesses are small or medium enterprises that you will never of heard of as they are either buried under multiple tiers of supply chains or they make small niche products you wouldn't notice.

UK manufacturing is alive and on the rebound and given the right support it can significantly contribute to the economic recovery. Let's keep buying British.

(Steps off soapbox)
    Well put.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot

(Steps off soapbox)
    Well put.
    +1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    TVR - Gone :(
    MG - Chinese
    Jaguar - Indian
    Rolls Royce - German
    Land Rover - Indian

:cry:
    Give me foreign-owned companies using british manufacture over a british company using foreign manufacture and passing off as british any day.