closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harrods watch room

Re: Harrods watch room

Quote Originally Posted by t72
    I always felt the Harrods watch room was designed for overpaid footballers!!! :lol:

Last time I was there (2010/) I was looking at the Hublot section and turned around only to bump into Didier Drogba. Strangely he didn't collapse clutching his face and screaming in pain!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The most aggressive, intimidating, snooty, haughty, considerably-richer-than-yow, unpleasant, unlikeable store I've ever visited, comfortably beating Prada in Sydney for sheer arrogance, and it managed to turn me off that brand even more. Not known amongst forum trolls for being the wanker's watch au choix, but sure as hell qualifies if you're selling 'em.

I speak as I find.
    I take it you're referring to the Omega Boutique? It's amusing to think that they clearly aren't "considerably-richer-than-yow" as you say, and perhaps would do well to remind themselves that the ONLY difference between them and the considerably less snooty staff at H. Samuel is a short walk, and that they put their Omega back in the display case when they shut up shop for the day.
    I was, and you're quite right, there is nothing except shoppers' margin and a little too much eau de cologne between them and any other mall stall selling upscale watch product. When I went in there, I was very aware that I wasn't wearing a £2,000 suit, tails and a monocle, or an extreme carefully tailored and presented yet self-consciously casual and totally spontaneous off-the-cuff Tom Ford number a la RAV. Wearing sunglasses indoors during poor weather would also have helped my product-acquisition experience, no doubt, as would have being able to speak Mandarin.

Wastefield (Theftfield... LOL :lol:) London destroys one's soul, but people really seem to like it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

The best watch shop I have ever been into in the UK is Wempe's in New Bond Street. Smoothly professional, extremely knowledgeable staff in a smart yet relaxing environment. No reasonable request is too much trouble, the coffee is pretty good and the resident tottie very polished and delightfully easy on the eye, tottie very knowledgeable horologically as well, not just eye candy! :D( :twisted: ) :D
    This shop has got it RIGHT!

The French girl who sometimes works in the Audemars Piguet booth at Harrods is worth the trip alone.....she's very beautiful-
    I've purchased 26 Royal Oaks in 4 months just to see her on a regular basis....I've lost my house, everything, but it's worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by t72
    I always felt the Harrods watch room was designed for overpaid footballers!!! :lol:
    that, and oil barons / saudi sheiks / sports stars etc etc.

A close relative of mine worked there in the 90's. She said a saudi type tycoon came in with his family, chose three mega dream watches in the space that you would usually buy chewing gum and a drink in a corner shop and insisted they did the trade quickly, wasnt interested in boxes / receipts / guarantees / paperwork. Just hurry and go. apparently the whole lots came to something like £200,000

She also sold watched to some famous people who she said weren't really that bothered about the watch itself.

Always pop into Harrods whenever i'm in London and have found the staff to be pleasant and willing to help, as for what's on offer? Well you'd expect to see hyper expensive watches in such a place and that's what you get.

In complete agreeance with Kavkav, Wempe's service has always been outstanding!

Master

Was there yesterday and found it pretty good. The IWC booth had the new spitfire chronos which I'm pretty tempted by.

I can't see what's not to like about the place...it's great for window shopping, but as educated buyers we're obviously not going to buy from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by puffy
    only reason i go to harrods nowadays is the food court. that's unreal...
    Yeah its true. I had a fish and chips at harrods and it was very good LOL
    The sushi bar is a good one too

Not harrods but self ridges Rolex, I was there near closing and the salesman was still very friendly and spent quite a bit of time.

Master

I like the Harrods watch room, has all the watches you could desire in one place. They are friendly and helpful and yes there is a lot of bling but they cater for there clients well. Omega boutique in west field what a waste of time, useless and unhelpful.. However I had the complete opposite experience at the Oxford street boutique. Who were amazing and so helpful that my wife has ordered a new omega from them.a

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    The ceramic BP has the usual Top Gun decal on the case back which would just irk me, especially at £13.5K and me not being a pilot. Just more wannabe silliness as i see it :roll:

Harrods Panerai 'rep' was pleasant enough but delivered information i hadn't fully appreciated which is, from this year’s SIHH, all SE models will now be sold via Boutiques only! This is pure and simple greed by Richemont imo, some would say good economics which for them it is, but it cuts a swathe through the established AD network and even that accepted if charitable, the UK is still bereft of a bloody Panerai Boutique anyway.
    :|
    And trust me, as an RAF pilot I have zero interest in having an IWC (or any other watch) that is associated in this way - you just cannot escape the fact that aside from Miramar it will always be associated with the film. Associations like that are fine for 16 year olds but not many of them have £10k plus to hand.

Interesting comments re Panerai; I'm not a big fan of most of them, however, I saw one recently that I liked and made enquiries about buying one. I made enquiries at several ADs and not one had it in stock and none seemed that interested in getting one for me without a 3 month wait. I gave up on the idea.

Regards

Master
    Blog Entries

I don't like Harrods as a shopping experience. I think their stock throughout is very good however it is hard to navigate, full of tourists who stop-start every two minutes and the staff in the most part think that no one can afford what they are selling. Liberty and Selfridges for clothing and homewear, WoS Bond Street for watches.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skier
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    The ceramic BP has the usual Top Gun decal on the case back which would just irk me, especially at £13.5K and me not being a pilot. Just more wannabe silliness as i see it :roll:

Harrods Panerai 'rep' was pleasant enough but delivered information i hadn't fully appreciated which is, from this year’s SIHH, all SE models will now be sold via Boutiques only! This is pure and simple greed by Richemont imo, some would say good economics which for them it is, but it cuts a swathe through the established AD network and even that accepted if charitable, the UK is still bereft of a bloody Panerai Boutique anyway.
    :|
    And trust me, as an RAF pilot I have zero interest in having an IWC (or any other watch) that is associated in this way - you just cannot escape the fact that aside from Miramar it will always be associated with the film. Associations like that are fine for 16 year olds but not many of them have £10k plus to hand.

Interesting comments re Panerai; I'm not a big fan of most of them, however, I saw one recently that I liked and made enquiries about buying one. I made enquiries at several ADs and not one had it in stock and none seemed that interested in getting one for me without a 3 month wait. I gave up on the idea.
    About 8-9 years ago I was smitten by one, sitting in the case at Selfridges. £1,790 it was, a standard Luminor. When out of the case I could see how big it was so I quickly had them put it back. Oh well. Totally different to every other techno-dive watch out there from all the usual big brands, but subprime was ramping up, so was the money pouring into the pockets of 23-year-olds in the City, and it was never the same.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!