closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport Security

Craftsman

Airport Security

Am I the only person that's sweats a little when you put your watch in the plastic tray and waves it goodbye? It's often such a scrum at the other end and I get paranoid that it will get lifted!

I've now taken to putting my watch in my hand luggage prior to airport security!

Barney

Re: Airport Security

you mean you haven't bought a service box/pouch of SCto put your watch into as you put it in your hand luggage just before going through !!!?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman
    you mean you haven't bought a service box/pouch of SCto put your watch into as you put it in your hand luggage just before going through !!!?
    Just don an F91-W :mrgreen:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

just take it off stick it in your bag and put it through the machine, simple and no need for sweating :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12
    I've now taken to putting my watch in my hand luggage prior to airport security!
    Have you not referred to your WIS Rule Book (p228, para12) lately.

"When travelling via air ensure your watch is safely stowed (travel pouch essential) in onboard luggage before entering security area. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT PLACE YOUR WATCH IN PLASTIC TRAY PROVIDED".

:mrgreen:
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master

I was in a rush last week and left my Everest in the tray.

Luckily they chased after me which I thought was remarkably helpful bearing in mind the normally unhelpful to a tee attitude, and random 'shoes off' one day and "shoes stay on, belt off today' randomness.

Master

I never put it in the tray, it always goes in my bag first; along with every other item in my pocket, so that only my hand baggage, belt, jacket and shoes go through the machine.

Master

I've never been asked to take my watch off when passing through airport security.

Craftsman

Airport Security

I've just done a Rolex Sub. It's was swimming around loose at the bottom of my work bag. Think I better get a service pouch, nice idea! :)

Craftsman

I always leave it on my wrist and the scanner never beeps... Cause my travelling watch is Quartz and made of carbon fiber :albino:

Regards,
    Al

Craftsman

Airport Security

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon

Luckily they chased after me which I thought was remarkably helpful bearing in mind the normally unhelpful to a tee attitude, and random 'shoes off' one day and "shoes stay on, belt off today' randomness.
    Ah, don't start me on this! Why o why o why is it shoes on one day and off the next.
    If it helps T1 at Heathrow appears to be an "on" day today!!

Craftsman

Airport Security

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    Have you not referred to your WIS Rule Book (p228, para12) lately.

"When travelling via air ensure your watch is safely stowed (travel pouch essential) in onboard luggage before entering security area. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT PLACE YOUR WATCH IN PLASTIC TRAY PROVIDED".

:mrgreen:
    LOL, I always was cr*p at rules. :)

Master

Reminds me of this thread over at WUS.

I've been trying to get my hands on a couple of Oakley Watch Vaults as featured in one of the replies but they're not as easy to come by as they once were, my only option would be to order online but ideally I'd like to try them for size.

That said a couple of Omega service pouches would do the trick I suppose, though I feel the Watch Vault would be more secure.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon

Ah, don't start me on this! Why o why o why is it shoes on one day and off the next.
    If it helps T1 at Heathrow appears to be an "on" day today!!
    I've got a fine appreciation of the absurd but if we were to go on to this subject, the thread wouldn't be suitable for Watch Talk. :evil:

The steel used in watches is not ferrous enough to attract a magnet ( try one on the bracelet, not the watch case itself). So it should not set off the detectors at the airport. Leave it on when walking thru.

Craftsman

Strangely enough, I was thinking about this the other day. I always put my watch in the plastic tray but I never walk through the scanner until I have seen the plastic tray enter the X-ray machine in case the security guy steals it! This sometimes causes a few problems during busy periods as the security people are beckoning me to go through the screener and the people behind me are getting more and more impatient as I refuse to move on!

and I thought that I was just paranoid!

Craftsman

Of course the other serious security risk at Heathrow is the Watches of Switzerland and Omega shops :mrgreen:

Barney

Depending on what I carry, I slide it into a my carry on travel bag... Until now, I actually did so, so that it wouldn't get scratches :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Strangely enough, I was thinking about this the other day. I always put my watch in the plastic tray but I never walk through the scanner until I have seen the plastic tray enter the X-ray machine in case the security guy steals it! This sometimes causes a few problems during busy periods as the security people are beckoning me to go through the screener and the people behind me are getting more and more impatient as I refuse to move on!

Ah that makes me feel better. I'm not alone! :)

I always put my keys, wallet, etc in my hand luggage bag so they are less easy to steal, but always leave my watch on.

This has never been a problem, except once (I think it was when flying Vegas to Hawaii) the security lady pulled me aside after I walked though the scanner and bizarrely wanted to see if I had anything concealed between the back of my watch and the top of my wrist.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget

Ah that makes me feel better. I'm not alone! :)
    If I am paranoid about getting my watch stolen, I am even more paranoid about being frisked by male security guards! They have started this practice, once they have patted your trouser legs, of flicking their hand across the front of your trousers. That sends me spare and I now subconsciously start stepping backwards once they start patting their way up the trousers. It almost ends up like a mini-tango across the floor as they chase me down!

To avoid this indignity, the watch etc will always come off!

Craftsman

My SB3 has never set the detectors off :lol:

All of my jackets (sports jacket/blazer type) have a small ticket pocket on the inside left and my watch always goes there for security. I always take my watch off.

Blog Entries

Working at an Airport, like a few others on here, I get the joy of going through Security quite a lot, sometimes three or four times a day. Watch always comes off and into jacket pocket to go the tray. I have been known to forget and most of mine don't set off the AMD, but the Ingenieur can get it in a bit of a frenzy!

More likely to get pinged by a 'random' activation than an actual detection, the machines are set to quite a high percentage for random searches...

Shoes and belt stay on for us at the mo, unless you get pinged, then both off and through the X-ray. Some guys take them off every time to save messing around, I take my chances! Although the requirement can change seemingly randomly. :wink:

I once followed through the CEO of a large multi national supplier that we had just entered into a significant contract with, he took off his Hubolt, tossed it into the tray, walked through the AMD, put his coat back on and walked off leaving the Hubolt in the tray. :shock: Luckily the X-ray operator noticed it and called him back, but I'm not sure if it was a display of extreme carelessness, arrogance, or as I really suspect, it was hooky! :lol:

Rob

Last year my mum whos in her seventies put her watch (a Dreyfuss which she loved) in the black tray on a return flight from Ibiza. They then searched her and when she went back to the tray... no watch!!! When she asked for it all the assistants suddenly couldn't speak a word of English and just shrugged their shoulders. I just wish I'd been there :evil:

Master
    Blog Entries

Never taken my watch off to walk through a scanner. I have been through with a royal oak offshore on a bracelet which is my heaviest steel watch and no issues with the scanner.

Banned

I've never taken my TAG off, except when asked to once, then put it back on and walked through :D Never sets the detector off.

I put all my valuables such as my watch, wallet and keys in my bag. I would not want to risk the openness of the tray, especially after reading various horror stories!

I used to always take my watch off but never again. The other week I set the alarm off, god knows why, but while I was being frisked someone picked up my iPad and stuck it in their bag!

Luckily my mrs spotted it before they could disappear with it. Rrrrrrrr

Craftsman

I fly every week an this a pain. Panerai never passed the scaner. Couple of time in AMS security guy asked me to take out watch and hold it when I was passing gate.
    I think there is unexplored market for shoes, belts and branded watches which can be marked "security safe"

I had my brass zippo given to me for my 16th nicked in Dubai, the security guard picked it up and pocketed it after it went through the scanner, he put his hand on his AK and stared at me so I wasn't going to argue. :blackeye:

Craftsman

You cann't take ZIPPO on the board. I saw several times when they took it away - It has liquid gas which is explosive

This was 2002 and I had already travelled Birmingham, Dubai, Hong Kong, Manila on that trip with it and no issues until till the return visit through Dubai.

I've never taken my watch off when going through security, its bad enough with shoes and belts. My watches have never tripped an alarm and when I've been pulled over for a random search I've never been told I shouldn't have had my watch on. So I'm assuming its not a problem and will carry on doing so until I'm told different.

I recently worked in aviation and we were issued with passes on a yo-yo (a sort of retractable lanyard). I had this taken off me as it posed a threat as it could be used as a garrotte. I obviously have the air of a thug about me.

What really gets on my nerves is after passing my MacBook through some security machines I get an electric shock when I pick it up. I can't think that this does it any good at all and I'm getting really fed up with it.

Master

I don't take it off - I've even been through with one on each wrist (both steel) and not had a problem.

Been though Malaga fairly frequently over the last few years, they always ask you to remove your watch, I always put it in my jacket pocket then put that on the tray.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    I've never been asked to take my watch off when passing through airport security.
    Are you wearing a G-schock?

Never taken mine off either. I think I'd panic if I was asked to - must remember to wear the G-Shock next time I fly! (probably best to steer clear of my F91W - they haven't got a great rep in airports!!)

I leave mine on.

I feel for you Akron. I used to own a tiny pair of pliers, 8.5 cm long, which I had since I was 16 also. I used to carry them everywhere in my clarinet case as essential equipment for removing rods, holding springs etc. I also carry a double sided tiny screwdriver/springhook.

Well I had been travelling with both of these in my clarinet case for 8 years after 9/11 and no-one, I repeat no-one gave a shit. One day I'm stopped and told to hand over the pliers. When I asked why and explained what they were for I was told "well we don't know what they're for" I said, "I just told you". I said, what can I possible do with a pair of pliers when the jaws are 2cm long? ......."Move along sir".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    Are you wearing a G-schock?

I usually wear my SMP on holiday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A sad collection of stories relating how ordinairy citizens are being unacceptably bullied under the pretence of their own security.
    Yet, like good sheeple, all accept it.

Master

I always leave mine on unless asked.

If I do get asked to remove it though, I put it on top of my coat in the plastic tray and never take my eyes off it!

I'll generally chance my arm and keep my watch on for UK airports and can't remember ever being asked to take it off. Actually, that's not true - Exeter airport seems to employ a particularly jobsworthy shower of b*stards in security, but they seem more interested in whether your plastic bag of liquids is an inch too big. I'm more wary in foreign airports. Stowed safely in the luggage unless it's been a holiday beater I'm not that fussed about losing. When you're a veteran of several European rugby trips you get used to removing boots, sporrans, watches and many things besides and being careful about where they go - members of our party have had their kilt pins knicked in Rome more than once.

When we went to Spain last year we flew out via Manchester and I forgot I had my Leatherman Charge Ti in my carry on (the bag is usually my bike bag with tools etc.). I only realised when we were unpacking at the hotel, I was terrified of losing it on the way home so I hid it in the check in luggage.

The only airport where I've ever been asked to take off my watch is Paphos in Cyprus. I fly from there 4 or 5 times a year and each time the watch has to come off. :roll:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    A sad collection of stories relating how ordinairy citizens are being unacceptably bullied under the pretence of their own security.
    Yet, like good sheeple, all accept it.
    Not much option, at Heathrow at least. You can accept it, or argue and spend a few hours in the Special Security Room before being told you aren't allowed to fly (or, indeed, being charged with some obscure terror-related "offence"). :(

I haven't ever taken a watch off at security, and never seem to have a problem. The belt/shoe thing reliably brings the contents of my bladder to boiling point, though. And don't even start me on those morons who have apparently never flown before, and have also lost the ability to read while waiting in the queue, so they arrive at the x-ray machine all surprised and helpless, and faff about aimlessly for five minutes while delaying everyone else. :evil:

And. Breeeeathe. ;)

Banned

If they want you to take your shoes off, why don't the ****s provide chairs :twisted:

Craftsman

Airport Security

I thought I would try the "keep your watch on" advise at Frankfurt airport today. The nice German lady told me very sternly to take it off and put it in the tray!!

Craftsman

Airport Security

Oh and today was a shoes off, beep beep and full pat down day!! Oh how I love flying! NOT!

I always just put it in my jacket pocket which goes in the tray