closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega X-33 service

Craftsman

Omega X-33 service

Evening all.

My X-33 has finally decided that it needs a new battery. How do I know this, all you non X-33 owners ask? Well it's a clever watch you see as the second hand starts to sweep every five seconds instead of every second. Good huh?

So I take it down to my local Watches of Switzerland and ask them to send it off for a new battery.

6 weeks later! I get a letter stating that in fact it's not the battery but a movement screw is loose and it will cost me £415 to get it fixed!

Now I'm no expert nor was I born yesterday but this seems a little strange to me?

Anyone have any information? i.e Does the X-33 have a movement screw that can come loose and cause this? (The Omega service manual suggests not).

Anyone had a similar experience with WoS trying to fleece more money for non essential work?

Cheers

D

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Omega X-33 service

I smell AD Bull S?

:evil:

Master

I'm sure you can get a whole new module for one of these for about that kind of money! :shock:

I would have thought if it was something loose in the movement, then the the 'fault' wouldn't be a regular 5 second sweep, but would be much more sporadic.

Other than that, I'm afraid no idea

Hope it works out?

Tim

It might be Omega trying it on, recently i've seen a spat of chases where manufactures and factories (like omega and tag) atre coming up with faults which in my opinion just aren't there, if i where you I'd get it back take it to a decent independent watchmaker and get them to sort the battery and seals..

Just sent mine in for a service/repair ,i think the module was suspect.The quote is 350 full service ,new module hands etc,etc.i would send it direct to omega/swatch in southampton,it sounds like the AD is sticking his bit on??

Battery really is a DIY job.

Here is my pictorial from when I did mine :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129323
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    Just sent mine in for a service/repair ,i think the module was suspect.The quote is 350 full service ,new module hands etc,etc.i would send it direct to omega/swatch in southampton,it sounds like the AD is sticking his bit on??
    Just posted mine there today. I hope that's about the extent of it :?

Smells like porkies to me. Ship it to a trusted independent for a heath check :wink:

Perhaps Omega is quoting for a full quartz service.

X-33 is calibre 1666; here's the service manual from the Chronomaddox site:
    http://chronomaddox.com/omega/manuals/s ... anual.html

1666 is Category 3 on the list of Omega service prices - £320 for a quartz chrono plus postage (£340 if on bracelet), there's clearly a bit of mark-up from Watches of Switzerland, see here for the price lists:

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-se ... ice-prices
    http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/c ... e_list.pdf

By comparison my SM120 multifunciton is calibre 1665, Category 1 and £240 for a full service, I can confirm that this was what I recently paid with postage on top. For this price they changed a lot of parts the only one that was extra, and at my request, was a new bezel. See the thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142434&start=30

Unfortunately I have no experience of the X-33 and cannot comment when the movement screw explanation is plausible. The SM120 that I bought had a lot of faults that were not immediately obvious and Omega did do a very thorough repair. Ultimately you have had to decide whether to just drop a battery in and see how you go or get it properly looked at. If you chose to use Omega it seems a bit cheaper to go to them direct, you just email their customer services and they will confirm the address to post it to.

why not get a second opinion from an independent shop?

Craftsman

Thanks to all for the info and advice.

I was aware that as a relatively old watch things could go wrong, but I am pretty damn positive there is no such mechanism screw which would cause the five second sweep. It was due a new battery anyway so when I was told that the battery is 100% I became a little suspicious. Plus the fact that I could have purchased a new module for £350 anyway really got my blood boiling!

I have requested from Omega prices for a new module and a service cost so I can confront WoS when they finally get my watch back and try and keep my deposit no doubt :x

When I finally do get it back I think I'll just replace the battery myself now I know just how easy it is.

Watch this space (pun intended :wink: )

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    Just posted mine there today. I hope that's about the extent of it :?
    Update - just received the service / repair estimate from Swatch Southampton. £350 inc VAT.

I'm happy with this as it includes a new crown, a couple pushers, etc. 8 week turnaround quoted so all in all I'm quite happy.

Looking forward to getting it back :bounce:

thats good,let hope both ours return in fine fettle

Quote Originally Posted by Alphafloor
    Thanks to all for the info and advice.

I was aware that as a relatively old watch things could go wrong, but I am pretty damn positive there is no such mechanism screw which would cause the five second sweep. It was due a new battery anyway so when I was told that the battery is 100% I became a little suspicious. Plus the fact that I could have purchased a new module for £350 anyway really got my blood boiling!

I have requested from Omega prices for a new module and a service cost so I can confront WoS when they finally get my watch back and try and keep my deposit no doubt :x

When I finally do get it back I think I'll just replace the battery myself now I know just how easy it is.

Watch this space (pun intended :wink: )
    The 5 second sweep is simply a low battery indicator, get the watch back and do it yourself!
    It's just a matter of time...