closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to sell, where to sell..?

Craftsman

How to sell, where to sell..?

I have several Timefactors watches and a lot of debt. And so, with a heavy heart, I've decided to sell them. In the opinion of the people here what I'd like to know is... would it be best to sell them here or take them to eBay? My only concern about the latter option is that the wider public might not appreciate Eddie Platts' fine work.

Thanks for reading.

Re: How to sell, where to sell..?

Sorry to hear about the debt. I'd say that here would be best as you have highest concentration of people interested in Eddies watches. Also you have been a member for quite some time and have enough posts to sell.

I have seen a few PRS-18's go for very good money on the bay, at way over the normal SC prices.
    Or it could go the other way, and sell below the market value (although I doubt it)

It depends if you want a trouble free quick sale, or you want to take the Ebay gamble.
    SC is the moral way to move the watches on to their new owners.

Craftsman

Thanks, Carl.

Despite multiple sales on eBay, I've also no idea what I'm doing with PayPal. Is there a special way to be be paid by PaylPal to reduce the cut that they take out of it, or am I pretty much stuck with it?

Cheers.

Journeyman

I would agree to post it here, with maybe a cross post on WUS due to the traffic on that SC.

I think the only way to get out of PayPal fees is to have it sent as a "gift", but doing so eliminates some of the buyer's protection.

I have heard some Paypal horror stories which keep me away from flipping watches. At least on this SC there are some protections.

Well I'm sure you'll do fine on SC here... I'd be interested in a few as I'm sure many others would be!

Really sorry to hear your situation though, always horrible to give up things you love.

Cheers, Oli.

Grand Master

i'd say post on sc, and ask for payment via bank transfer. that cuts out any paypal fees
    sorry to hear of your troubles.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Thanks for all your replies. It's really kind of you.

Looks like I'll be selling them on Sales Corner. I need to go and get hold of some tags I can loop around each watch for the photo and I'll put them up some time tomorrow. The only exception will be a Stowa KS which I think might do better on eBay than on here. There are six in total, including a PRS-5, a PRS-53 and a few other bits and bobs I've collected over the past five years. Oh, and one of them is a Sturmanskie, which is a really nice item.

Thanks again.

Master

Check out WTB ,i'm sure theres one for a Prs 53 at present.

Depends which models they are , alot of the discontinued ones would fetch better prices on the bay with the right listing , however once you've factored in fees and potential hassle I would rather sell on here 9 times out of 10 8)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

The Timefactors ones are a PRS-5 and a PRS-53. Mint condition, original packaging. They're a testament to the fact that I tended to buy them and then never wore them.

is the 5 a broadarrow one or a precista? the BA's should fetch a slight premium. for some reason prices for the 5 arent as strong as for some of the other models. i would just sell them on here first. you can always ask high and then drop accordingly.

When i put my PRS53 up for sale late last year at Eddies original selling price it was gone in 5 minutes, even though i'ld lost the packaging. The PRS5 is still available from Timefactors site so you if yours is the Seagull powered one may have to eat some WIS-tax to sell it.

Although I don't know your debt situation do think about whether its worth selling all of them and if you'll regret it in a years time.

Whatever route you chose i think you'll find that the first Saturday after payday is the best time to make your sales post or end your auction.

My instinct would be to take a punt in e-bay for the PRS-5. Thats based on a suspicion that everyone on here's head says that a chinese movement is OK and their heart says it isn't . That's why prices are so soft.

WTB is certainly the way to go for a good price on the PRS-53. indeed that holds true just about any watch thats out of production.

the 53 is always popular. ive never seen one hang around for long on sc.

A 5 and a 53 ought to sell well here, and better than on eBay. Stowa KS I'd have a look at WUS as well due to the Stowa forum there.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

This is going to sound hopelessly retarded, but when would be the first Saturday after payday? We're paid on the weekday closest to the 28th of each month. I assume that's the case for everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    This is going to sound hopelessly retarded, but when would be the first Saturday after payday? We're paid on the weekday closest to the 28th of each month. I assume that's the case for everyone else?

Well for me it would be this Saturday, we are closest week day to the 20th... I think for others it would be next. I've always found that paydays vary!

I feel your pain. Hope things turn for the better.

Craftsman

It's a combination of depression and my own stupid fault.

I kept on buying watches even though I couldn't afford them and then got depressed. Work have been understanding but, when I went back and tried to re-start my job, I ended up getting myself sent home for being 'unfocussed.' I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I'll need to go into it without an overdraft or a tax bill still to pay. So, my watches are up for sale.

Irrationally, I've decided to hang on to the PRS-53, but the chrono is definitely going up for sale and the others will go up on eBay tomorrow, when I've got my camera back. I trade on there as Pendleton25 if anyone is interested in a massive military watch clearout.

Sorry for the slightly bleak post.

^^^ understandable and although i've never suffered from depression I think many of us have been in similar positions before. Hang on to the PRS53 and a decent quartz, and other watches will be there when you're back in the game again.

Good luck dude.

Craftsman

Fleabay is always a gamble, you could do really well or end up getting less than a forum sale. It's all down to how many people bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    It's a combination of depression and my own stupid fault.

I kept on buying watches even though I couldn't afford them and then got depressed. Work have been understanding but, when I went back and tried to re-start my job, I ended up getting myself sent home for being 'unfocussed.' I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I'll need to go into it without an overdraft or a tax bill still to pay. So, my watches are up for sale.

Irrationally, I've decided to hang on to the PRS-53, but the chrono is definitely going up for sale and the others will go up on eBay tomorrow, when I've got my camera back. I trade on there as Pendleton25 if anyone is interested in a massive military watch clearout.

Sorry for the slightly bleak post.
    good luck mate. sorry to hear of your current situation :)