closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tablets

tablets

Hi every one. I want an ipad but i dont have the money. So i have been looking around for a cheap android and i was woundering if anyone has a good but cheap android tablet.
    Cheers ruben :D .

Re: tablets

Quote Originally Posted by rubeneski
    Hi every one. I want an ipad but i dont have the money. So i have been looking around for a cheap android and i was woundering if anyone has a good but cheap android tablet.
    these two don't go together into one sentence. Either its good or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds
    LOL.. :D

tablets

Why not pick up an iPad 1? There was one on here for £190 t'other day.

Nice used Galaxy tablet - or Ipad used.

or consider one of these for a cut price Android tablet that should update next week I guess on 4.0 ICS.

http://www.ibood.com/uk/en/product_spec ... _you_want/
    It's just a matter of time...

I agree on getting a secondhand ipad 1. The build quality is actually more robust than the later models. I'd have thought you'd pick a 16gb wifi model for about £170 ish.

What is your budget?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds

Agreed to a point, although IMO you can do better than an iPad for less than it costs. But still not cheap.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Nice used Galaxy tablet - or Ipad used.

or consider one of these for a cut price Android tablet that should update next week I guess on 4.0 ICS.

http://www.ibood.com/uk/en/product_spec ... _you_want/
    I got one similar to that last week, smaller but was cheaper. It's not an Ipad by any stretch, but it's not bad. In theory, it should have one minor advantage in that the memory is removable, so for going abroad I can take as many 16GB cards loaded with films as I want, rather than being limited to 32/64GB

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

It's not an Ipad by any stretch, but it's not bad. In theory, it should have one minor advantage in that the memory is removable, so for going abroad I can take as many 16GB cards loaded with films as I want, rather than being limited to 32/64GB

In fairness to the Ipad, I can do the same with my Ipad using the cameras connection kit. You can pre-load your films to an SD card (make sure that you name them a certain way to fool the ipad -google it) and then you can import the films onto the ipad using the camera connection kit when memory becomes available.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and have done just this. Ipad loaded with a TV series and another 10 movies on an SD card.

Master

Ok - didn't know that :thumbup:

Master

Ok - didn't know that :thumbup:

Most people who own Ipads don't either :lol:

Craftsman

There's a glut of good, secondhand iPads around. Get one of those. Even the best of the rest are also-rans.

I've decided to keep my iPad I - it was replaced under warranty by Apple about six weeks ago, but I do fancy a really pocketable 7" tablet - I'm thinking of the Galaxy Tab.

I think Apple are selling Ipad 2's for £300 to clear their stock - Still alot of wad but what a m/c

Cheers guys for all of your help. I am going to save up for an ipad as some of you said that they are better than and android cheap thing.

Quote Originally Posted by a900ss

It's not an Ipad by any stretch, but it's not bad. In theory, it should have one minor advantage in that the memory is removable, so for going abroad I can take as many 16GB cards loaded with films as I want, rather than being limited to 32/64GB

In fairness to the Ipad, I can do the same with my Ipad using the cameras connection kit. You can pre-load your films to an SD card (make sure that you name them a certain way to fool the ipad -google it) and then you can import the films onto the ipad using the camera connection kit when memory becomes available.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and have done just this. Ipad loaded with a TV series and another 10 movies on an SD card.
    Cool. I didnt know about that. Do you name them like "Family trip film"?

I am also looking for a tablet.
    I have nothing against Apple products however the iPad is not my first choice for two reasons.

1. Price. My budget is about £120 and I would prefer to buy new.
    2. Size. I want a 7" screen.

While browsing t'internet this:-http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB012.php crossed my path.
    Seems reasonably spec'd for the price.
    Has anyone any experience of this one or whatever else this brand may be marketed under?
    Is the latest version of Android (ICS (4)) the best one to buy or would the previous version be best (just thinking about MS Vista)?

Thanks for your time.
    John

Thomas Reid

So far, I've been pleased with the phone/tablet combination I get with my Dell Streak. It does take juice however. Yesterday I went for a four hour walk. I had 3G and (real) GPS on the whole time, using the OpenStreet map quite a lot. In those four hours it used 30% of the battery's capacity.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    I've decided to keep my iPad I - it was replaced under warranty by Apple about six weeks ago, but I do fancy a really pocketable 7" tablet - I'm thinking of the Galaxy Tab.
    Same here, I want something portable...was think about the Note myself....

Grand Master

The iPad is kind of a toy and can't do much without being slaved to the very device its proponents claim it replaces. Oh, you can spend even more money and fiddle about with camera connection kits and Googling cheats to fool the iPad into doing something the owner wants (how very dare you! :)), but frankly life's about 50 years too short. Does the Kindle Fire have swappable memory? If not, a used Galaxy Tab 7 perhaps.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

Much as I love the idea of a tablet I have (so far) backed away, due to the price. I could try to argue they are not worth the money (based on the sum of the parts), but while millions upon millions queue to buy at current prices, I'd fail. They are of course worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them.

I'm going to see what discounts are offered on the outgoing galaxy - think I heard/read that their new ones are due around April. Hopefully bigger discounts that the ipad 2.

And looking slightly further ahead it will be interesting to see what Windows 8 versions of tablets bring to the tabler later in the year.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Redd
    Much as I love the idea of a tablet I have (so far) backed away, due to the price. I could try to argue they are not worth the money (based on the sum of the parts), but while millions upon millions queue to buy at current prices, I'd fail. They are of course worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them.
    If they are that easy to produce after 2 years how come there isn't a rash of them on the market undercutting Apple by a good margin?

And looking slightly further ahead it will be interesting to see what Windows 8 versions of tablets bring to the tabler later in the year.
    But windows 8 tablet will not be as good as the ipad unless windows have some BIG miricle.

Master

For anyone looking for an inexpensive and solid solution, I'd suggest the B&N Nook Color, with which I am very happy.
    Extremely easy to root and install various flavours of Android on it, light and sturdy, and can be had for relatively cheap. It's not an iPad-killer (ha, nothing is!) but it is not meant to be

Alex

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by deryckb
    If they are that easy to produce after 2 years how come there isn't a rash of them on the market undercutting Apple by a good margin?
    Sit back and watch the Amazon Kindle Fire fly off the shelves. If Samsung and Co are stupid enough to think they can get Apple's prices, they will continue to sell in limited volumes as they can't match the branding and army and fanboys and girls who will pay anything for an Apple badge. Don't get me wrong, great products but better still is their marketing department who get free advertsiing from the likes of the BBC on new products.

But windows 8 tablet will not be as good as the ipad unless windows have some BIG miricle.
    W8 and Apple OS for tablet are not going to be a like for like tbh and maybe, just maybe it won't be as restrictive as Apple? Not that has helped android tablets tbh.

Hard to go wrong with the Kindle Fire for $199 / £125...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    There's a glut of good, secondhand iPads around. Get one of those. Even the best of the rest are also-rans.
    The better Android tablets are nicer than Apple's offerings so far, so given that they're also less expensive, a better bet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The iPad is kind of a toy and can't do much without being slaved to the very device its proponents claim it replaces. Oh, you can spend even more money and fiddle about with camera connection kits and Googling cheats to fool the iPad into doing something the owner wants (how very dare you! :)), but frankly life's about 50 years too short. Does the Kindle Fire have swappable memory? If not, a used Galaxy Tab 7 perhaps.
    This.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono
    Hard to go wrong with the Kindle Fire for $199 / £125...

It does look promising at that price, but not available in the UK yet.

Craftsman

BlackBerry PlayBook, £169 for the 16gb version.

Bought one at Christmas and have been very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy

Stole my thunder there, got one on boxing day, I rate it very highly, great screen just had OS update that adds built in e-mail, calender and address book.

Craftsman

I also think a playbook, but if you can wait til august I'd expect some killer windows 8 tablets to open up the market

I treat computing devices as tools to run software. That comes from working for a software company. At home my household is all Apple, although I do run Windows 7 in Boot Camp for iRacing. At work I use Windows XP and 7.

No matter what your feeling on a particular manufacturer it is hard to argue against the iPad having by far the best selection of software and the most sophisticated too. I have used Android 4 and WebOS on a Touchpad and can say without any doubt that the software available was nowhere near as good as that available on my iPad. In my using both alternative OS's there was only one app I found that I would like to have on the iPad, Google Chrome, and that is because of the links to the desktop browser which I use a work.

I also disagree with the premise that the iPad has to be tethered to a computer. I could have gone through the whole activation process and got all my software on my new iPad as well as music and TV programmes without connecting to a computer. At the moment the only reason to connec to a computer is to transfer movies (a licensing issue) and transfer photos from a computer library. The photos part is optional. If you have a camera connector kit you could use the iPad as the sole manager of your photo library using the new iPhoto app.

I picked up an iPad 1 32GB/3g this week from one of my customers who has just upgraded to the iPad 3. I managed to get it for a ridiculously low cost granted, however the quality of this thing is amazing, and a lot closer than the hundreds of pounds difference would suggest. It's running the latest IOS (5.1) without any issues and isn't any slower than my iPhone 4.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    I also disagree with the premise that the iPad has to be tethered to a computer. I could have gone through the whole activation process and got all my software on my new iPad as well as music and TV programmes without connecting to a computer. At the moment the only reason to connec to a computer is to transfer movies (a licensing issue) and transfer photos from a computer library. The photos part is optional. If you have a camera connector kit you could use the iPad as the sole manager of your photo library using the new iPhoto app.

Isn't this new with IOS 5? Apple suggests so.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
    http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

Before you needed access to some other Apple device to set up the account, didn't you?. You still need an Apple account, I think. Now you can set this up directly via the device, rather than via iTunes on some other device. You don't need a Google account for Android.

Best wishes,
    Bob

iPad having by far the best selection of software and the most sophisticated too. I have used Android 4 and WebOS on a Touchpad and can say without any doubt that the software available was nowhere near as good as that available on my iPad.
    This is why i would prefere and ipad because of the range of software. Like pages/numbers/keynote/imovie i would use all of these for my home-work and i dont know what other device supports a good/better version of the apps above. And plus apple has a better market for games as on my android phone there are not as good apps as on apple devices.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Isn't this new with IOS 5? Apple suggests so.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
    http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

Before you needed access to some other Apple device to set up the account, didn't you?. You still need an Apple account, I think. Now you can set this up directly via the device, rather than via iTunes on some other device. You don't need a Google account for Android.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    This was introduced in October last year when iOS 5.0 was released.

I have the ipad 2 and a new ipad (3rd gen). As nice as they are, apart from expensive I think they are a little restrictive even when jailbroken. An alternative I would recommend is an HP Touchpad, I bought a few for £90 for my kids when HP decided to drop out of the tablet market. Very high spec for the money and still a few around new, even second hand around £160 it's worth looking at. The warranty is also very good and transferable. Mine are currently dual booting webOS and the latest Android Ice-Cream-Sandwich OS. Imo it gives the ipad 2 a run for it's money and is incredibly customisable. Plenty of apps and no lack of community support.

But apple did intend to controll the user when they started up which i dont find a problem. Also with the ipad you have much more choice with apps. When you jailbrake you get app for free where as with rooting you dont (or do you, please tell me if you can because i have rooted my android pohone and it dosent let me).

A jailbreak is a root. Both gain admin rights to sideload apps as you please. Android app files are *.apk, Apples iOS apps are *.ipa

Journeyman

Ainol (sic) tablet with android ics are supposed to be good. Shame about the name!!

Grand Master

What if you have a load of content on an old device that you want to ship over? I have several thousand music tracks on a 16GB SD card which I have moved from one mobile device to another - Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC, you name it - over the years, adding as I go. I couldn't add any of it to this new device without a the help of a PC. Can't move (let alone play) movies or home videos either, or easily copy files I need to read. I even tried to email myself an mp3 the other day; can't save an attachment without spending more money on an app to do something everything else seems to manage quietly. How much more do I have to spend to buy the card reader? Also I tried Bluetooth to send some Word docs across so I could read and edit. Been Bluetoothing files for ten years now, but not with this. Apple has implemented a super duper new BT version, apparently, but one that misses out major chunks of functionality, like object transfer.

Hey, i tried, and it cost me a load of money in the process. The snappy interface, long battery life and good looks don't make up for deficiencies elsewhere. If you are fully in the Apple ecosphere, with a home Apple file server accessible over wifi, other Apple devices, Apple computers etc, I can see the appeal. This is going back in its box and off to eBay as soon as the Kindle Fire is available; maybe that has a card reader. I'm too used to "open" to go back to this. :(
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

As an Apple fan, having most of Apple's gear including the iPad, I would highly recommend the Blackberry playbook at it's current price level.
    It might not have as many apps as the IOS, but it's got a great screen, nice form factor, "drag n drop" for content, flash, great build quality and at the fire sale prices, I don't see anything that comes close.

Although it's the same price as the iPad (a lot) the Asus Transformer Prime has an SD slot in it's docking base/keyboard and and mSD slot in the tablet itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer
    As an Apple fan, having most of Apple's gear including the iPad, I would highly recommend the Blackberry playbook at it's current price level.
    It might not have as many apps as the IOS, but it's got a great screen, nice form factor, "drag n drop" for content, flash, great build quality and at the fire sale prices, I don't see anything that comes close.

I'm drifting from the Galaxy Tab :) - all I need on is pocketable browsing and some basic functions. My ipad one will remain my first choice device for home use.

Journeyman

I´m still happy with my Transformer TF 101! :drunken:

Quote Originally Posted by lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy

Stole my thunder there, got one on boxing day, I rate it very highly, great screen just had OS update that adds built in e-mail, calender and address book.
    Got myself a Playbook today and for the price (£169.00) I'm very pleased - does what I wanted from it, and the screen looks excellent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Although it's the same price as the iPad (a lot) the Asus Transformer Prime has an SD slot in it's docking base/keyboard and and mSD slot in the tablet itself.
    What is the asus like?