closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OMEGA - BASELWORLD 2012

Craftsman

OMEGA - BASELWORLD 2012

Thought you might all be interested in the link below to Omega's Press Kit for all their 2012 Basel releases. By the way, the Z-33 Spacemaster is apparently 19.85mm thick, that should please all those who like presence on their wrist!!

http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-kit-detail/1907

Master

Re: OMEGA - BASELWORLD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    By the way, the Z-33 Spacemaster is apparently 19.85mm thick, that should please all those who like presence on their wrist!!
    And will we talk about that 10% as much as the DSSD's 17.7mm thickness gets discussed? Will we f.... :lol:

Master

Loving that Z-33. I've been looking at a couple of old pilot-line style watches recently, nice to see them re-vamp the style!

I shudder to think what goodies it comes loaded with (or how much it will cost!) :)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    By the way, the Z-33 Spacemaster is apparently 19.85mm thick, that should please all those who like presence on their wrist!!
    And will we talk about that 10% as much as the DSSD's 17.7mm thickness gets discussed? Will we f.... :lol:
    Fair play, the Omega's got 30m water resistance.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

19.85mm and 30m WR.

What is in there? Styrofoam chips?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Fair play, the Omega's got 30m water resistance.
    +1

:lol:

Craftsman

Is that an accurate pic or photoshopped? :shock:

Balls - I liked that - but 30m - why bother?!
    It's just a matter of time...

Darn, that's thick! Probably to allow the alarm to be very, very loud (X-33's alarm was 80dB I think).

An interesting feature : "Possibility to disengage the hands to facilitate digital reading"

When was the last time we saw that sundial brushing on a new watch?

Blog Entries

Interesting. Very interesting, I remember reading about the development of the X-33 and wait with interest to read about this incarnation. Quite retro style. I remember the 70s red LED watches (the black watch I seem to remember) - and LED calculators, especially from Mr Sinclair with his 'Oxford' and 'cambridge' calculators. One was RPN and took ages to calculate the addition of two logarithms and I think I rememeber it took so long you had to replace the batteries each time. Those were the days?!

Quick search in google showed these two references: worth a read for you youngsters!

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/other/blackwatch.htm

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/ ... nific.html
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

To be honest... it is not really breathtaking piece. And too fat.
    I prefer the look of X-33.

Must have taken all of 5 mins to dream up :roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

More info on the Z-33... http://www.ablogtoread.com/omega-z-33-s ... ter-watch/

That be a crazzzzzy watch!

Master

30m ?? wtf is that.... joke of a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    30m ?? wtf is that.... joke of a watch.
    Well... it's the Spacemaster. Wanna go diving in space? :mrgreen:

Craftsman

It had better be louder than the X-33, because of new resonance chamber design or a louder speaker, as otherwise the extra thickness would be totally unnecessary.

There's a load more pics of the Z-33 and other Baselworld Omegas on a Russian forum here:

http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php?t=106531&page=3

The thickness of the case looks even more massive :shock:

I like 70s style watches but this one's starting to look like a traffic cone.

Craftsman

Possibly the most ridiculous watch I've ever seen!

Blog Entries

What's the bloody obsession with all that WR??????
    A load of deskdivers complaining about a SPACEMASTER watch with 30m WR :roll:
    Wear a sub when swimming in your 1 meter deep pool, and wear this daring piece of retro design with your first booking to outer space with Richard Branson................ :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

I've always fancied the X-33 even with all the limitations that come with it (severely limited water resistance, no atomic, no solar, very expensive) but the new model looks like something designed by Fossil. Looking closely at the pictures of this new model makes me realise that I generally prefer something a little more understated. For example, I would definitely rather wear the Rolex Explorer than say their new SeaDweller. I would also prefer a standard Omega Seamaster to their chrono versions and am quite smitten by their original Aqua Terra over their newer pinstriped models.

Strangely enough though, I find myself wearing my Casio G-Shock with all the bells and whistles that go with it over my other watches at the moment. Strange eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Wear a sub when swimming in your 1 meter deep pool, and wear this daring piece of retro design with your first booking to outer space with Richard Branson................ :)

Daddel.
    I am just concerned that 30m is not for purpose - I like a watch that I can put on and not have to think about what I am doing - maybe I might wash the car - help doing washing up at a friends house, or it might simply be raining outside :lol:
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Daddel.
    I am just concerned that 30m is not for purpose - I like a watch that I can put on and not have to think about what I am doing - maybe I might wash the car - help doing washing up at a friends house, or it might simply be raining outside :lol:
    Fair enough, but 30m WR should be able to deal with that I gues........?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I'm in the process of 'reinventing' the wheel. It's still round, but it is water resistant to 30.000ft.

....and they're £5K each :drunken:

The dial's a bit too 'G-Shockie' for me, they could have incorporated the 910 riot of colour for a bit more bang?

Fair play for them having a go, and it'll hopefully push up the price of proper Flighty's & Speedys :D :evil:

Why so thick, urgh and i was excited about the look from the dial.

Anyway the new speedmaster raceing looks nice to me, 40mm wide, and not too thick, with a nice selection of colours, as long as the price is right i reckon i could see one on my wrist :mrgreen:

Some of those pictures should be in Boys Room.

Just off to check the Lottery numbers..

Very nice

Those Speedmasters are lush...

The Z-33 looks odd to me, but that might change when I see it in the flesh. I do like a daring design, so I'm kind of interested. The best looking watch here in my opinion is the 'Speedmaster “First Omega in Space” Numbered Edition'.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by webvan
    Darn, that's thick! Probably to allow the alarm to be very, very loud (X-33's alarm was 80dB I think).

An interesting feature : "Possibility to disengage the hands to facilitate digital reading"

When was the last time we saw that sundial brushing on a new watch?
    Oris Chronoris from a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Oris Chronoris from a few years ago?

nice! What do these go for?

I was in deep smit with theis watch until I found out it's 2 cm tall. The style is incredible, one of the hottest watches in recent years, but most people can't comfortably wear such a tall watch.

I don't get all the concern about the 30 m WR though. How many of you have ever dived beyond 30 m? Of those, how many would choose this watch to go diving? If you can afford this, you can afford a Monster to take in the ocean.

One more thing. That strap is truly epic. The second coolest strap ever (after the 6105 waffle).

Master

It's all very well saying 30m is more than enough for most people but that's a perfectly still 30m in test conditions. Is the reality of it not that you shouldn't even wear a 30m WR watch in the shower?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

mmm!

Master

Well, I reckon that a 2cm knob of titanium like that should make an X-33 even more appealing - at least that was designed by pilots for pilots. If I wore the Z-33 to fly the Pitts, I'd probably get my wrist snagged on something and end up with a control jam; at best, it'd get jammed down the side of the seat when I'm fishing for the harness straps before start-up...

Master

Oh - and why, oh why, can't Omega fit the SZ-01 movement that Sinn (or the Damasko equivalent) have adapted from the 7750, into a Speedy Pro case, to deliver the most usable chrono layout (centre sweep minute chrono hand) in one of the nicest cases around? A modern Speedy Grail, if you like....

Blog Entries

It's all very well saying 30m is more than enough for most people but that's a perfectly still 30m in test conditions. Is the reality of it not that you shouldn't even wear a 30m WR watch in the shower?
    I think dynamic vz static pressure has been done to death elsewhere, but in any case I see Omega state all of their watches can be worn showering / swimming - even their 30mm ones, check the link via the omega official website there's a link.

Other sites say wrt is typically marketing spin.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Banned
    Blog Entries

30m Is not enough. I think
    It's a poor show to make a watch that's only 30m resistant when even the cheapest nastiest jap crap can be 100m. If a Rolex air king can be 100m, and a prs22 can be 100'm what excuse is there?

However, the x33 alarm being loud is one of the watches biggest features. By sealing it up like a role you loose the alarm volume. In space it's going to e more important to be able to hear it than to swimming.

Omega make crystal backs for some models, it would make sense to haw an option of a solid outer back that increases the resistance for those of us that do more showering that space walking.

I really like the look of this watch. Is there any news on the price?

Quote Originally Posted by SShaw
    I really like the look of this watch. Is there any news on the price?
    $5900/£3800

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    I was in deep smit with theis watch until I found out it's 2 cm tall. The style is incredible, one of the hottest watches in recent years, but most people can't comfortably wear such a tall watch.

I don't get all the concern about the 30 m WR though. How many of you have ever dived beyond 30 m?
    I think the point is that for all this thickness, you expect a certain degree of WR. You just do. WR and thickness are closely correlated. In this case, it's fat for fatness's sake, or "wrist presence" - which is OK if you're not talking about a Rolex. Sure, some of the size is to do with the alarm chamber, but the B1 and X-33 have loud alarms - yet the Z-33 is 33% thicker than either. It's not Omega's inability to engineer a watch with good WR and keep it thin - the Seamaster has 300m WR and an 11mm-thin case - so I wonder what drove them to specify a 20mm thick case, aside from getting the wearer noticed.

Here's the Z-33 on a 19cm wrist (not mine), it does look a bit better !

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by webvan
    Here's the Z-33 on a 19cm wrist (not mine), it does look a bit better !
    Does it? It looks like a hockey puck that connects to the internet. Even if you had a big enough wrist to handle its very long case, it's the massive scuff-inducing girth that's the problem. That beeyooshiful linished finish on the case "cone" will be trashed before you know it, then it's off to the Swiss spa for a sumptuous 500 € valet every year. I have cars that are cheaper to look after than that!