closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternative to Bose Wave

Alternative to Bose Wave

My parents hi-fi has died and gone to the great tangle of wires in the sky :)

They are looking at replacing it with a Bose Wave, looking at the reviews on the net they are very mixed with some pretty poor ones indeed. Now the replacement must be compact have dab and play cd's.

Any suggestions as an alternative to the Bose?

Regards,

Tom

Banned

Re: Alternative to Bose Wave

Denon dm38

Master

How about the Meridian M80

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    Denon dm38
    seconded, especially if it's for your parents, as it's not complicated to use.

And I'll doubt they'll be listening to drum and base or garage, so the outputs on the denon are ok.

My parents still struggle with the Climate Control in their merc.

Craftsman

Try a Vita Audio R4, a fantastic piece of kit that is superior to the Bose in terms of audio quality and build.

arcam solo mini worth a shout.

Blog Entries

i don't know why you'd want an alternative,mine is fantastic and sounds amazing with my ipod plugged in

cheers,mick

i love my wave the sound is fantastic, Wouldn't swap it

I think the Wave sounds pretty good for what it is. You pay big money for them though. If I was in the market for something like that I'd be looking at their speakers I think, although I'd only ever use an iPod or computer to play anything through them.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554
    arcam solo mini worth a shout.
    Can't go wrong with Arcam.

Alternative to Bose Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    Denon dm38
    Another vote for the Denon. I've got a DM31 which I've had for years and can't fault it. My parents have a Bose Wave and to my ears the Denon sound quality is far superior. The Bose is undoubtedly a nice piece of kit but you cant beat a separates system for the best sound.

Quote Originally Posted by joebromley
    The Bose is undoubtedly a nice piece of kit but you cant beat a separates system for the best sound.
    This is also true.

Aktimate Maxi, brilliant bit of kit, bought my son one for Christmas, Ipod dock, Internet radio, three other inputs and 60 watts per channel.

http://www.aktimate.com.au/

Can't go wrong with the Vita Audio R4. The build quality is in a different class to Bose as is the sound. Also has a built in subwoofer.

http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r4i

Rod

Master

For compact systems, I have been impressed by Tivoli Audio. The Platinum Series Music System is compact and produces very nice sound for such a small unit.

Good luck with the purchase.

Jay

Big fan of denon kit here - sounds good and nice and simple

Master

I still think the Meridian will comfortably outperform any of the others mentioned (although the Vita may come close).
    This was originally £1500 and at £799 it's a steal.
    You simply can't compare it to a £170 Denon.
    It's a serious bit of kit from a top end audiophile manufacturer with outstanding customer service second to none (in my experience).

Thanks for everyones input all opinions are valued.

I will carry out some research and let you know they decide on.

Regards,

Tom

I still love my Linn Classik, that I've had for years (cd/radio in one box) usually a few on the bay for good prices now.
    Linn service dept is truly excellent as well.
    see if you can listen to one with 1/2 decent speakers :)

Are these compact systems like the Vita Audio, Arcam rCube, Linn, Meridian etc anywhere as good sound quality wise as a good separates system?

I've had my Arcam separates in my bedroom for years now but am thinking of going compact to save space (speakers etc).

I've been looking for a compact radio/music system and started looking at Bose, the separate DAB module was putting me off and in looking at alternatives has so far led me to Roberts MP43/53 and the Pure Avanti (from reviews) while these are down in cost rather than upwards like the meridian etc they, from reveiws, seem to be not far off the Bose Wave. I now have to consider internet radio and do I need a cd player but ant advice on the Roberts and the Pure would be appreciated.

Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanman
    I've been looking for a compact radio/music system and started looking at Bose, the separate DAB module was putting me off and in looking at alternatives has so far led me to Roberts MP43/53 and the Pure Avanti (from reviews) while these are down in cost rather than upwards like the meridian etc they, from reveiws, seem to be not far off the Bose Wave. I now have to consider internet radio and do I need a cd player but ant advice on the Roberts and the Pure would be appreciated.

Adrian.
    Is Internet radio a necessity? My suggestion of the Vita Audio R4i is the best contender out there (sub £600). The company is owned by the guys from Ruark Acoustics, thus the speakers are top notch. I have done direct comparisons against Bose, Pure, and it beats them by a mile for hifi sound. Later this year Vita Audio will be called Ruark.
    If its a quality compact with separate speakers the Arcam Solo Mini with some quality compact speakers from KEF, B&W, Monitor Audio would be my choice.

Rod

Internet radio is very useful when DAB reception is poor, also opens up a whole new world :!:

Master

Rod/Cynar - how would you compare the Vita to the Meridian M80? Any experiences?
    Ta :)

Master

Never heard the Vita but it gets excellent reviews.
    The Meridian sounds fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    Rod/Cynar - how would you compare the Vita to the Meridian M80? Any experiences?
    Both are capable of a 'big' sound, but with the Meridian you have some pretty powerful 'digital active' speakers and some sound absorbing cabinet work which is actually used in their F1 cars. Also the Meridian has DVD on board and video outputs (Vita doesn't) and the Ferrari colours to choose from.
    If money isn't tight the Meridian is top notch with the Vita R4i a close second.

Rod

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by davek
    Both are capable of a 'big' sound, but with the Meridian you have some pretty powerful 'digital active' speakers and some sound absorbing cabinet work which is actually used in their F1 cars. Also the Meridian has DVD on board and video outputs (Vita doesn't) and the Ferrari colours to choose from.
    If money isn't tight the Meridian is top notch with the Vita R4i a close second.

Rod
    Thanks v.much for the feedback!!

Indeed, I've just ordered one so will let you know how I get on,