closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub 14060M - questions before I buy one.

Blog Entries

Sub 14060M - questions before I buy one.

Gentlemen, your advise please.

It's about to happen: I'm at the threshold of Rolex ownership. I've bought them for my wife, but never for myself. I'm considering a 14060M (2010 - I don't know what serie). I know the seller and he's a great guy. So no problems on that front. The only 'problem' I have is the 'rolexrolexrolex' on the chapter ring. And my only question is simple: does it stand out when wearing the watch on a daly basis - or is it hardly visible. Now, let me tell you I hate the 'Blancpain' text on modern day BPs. What'a your opinion and experience?

Menno

The seller's watch - it comes with B&P etc and is virtually new!

Blog Entries

Re: Sub 14060M - questions before I buy one.

My opinion: Get a two liner with tritium dial..... that's what I just did (for the second time.... :roll:)

I never noticed it on my SubC

Go for it. The writing on the rehaut is hardly noticeable.

Seriously.

Master

in my experience its no where near as noticeable on the 14060 as it is on the 16610 for some reason I'm guessing it must be the rehaut angle or something? but if you think it will bother you then get an older tritium 2 line one but don't forget it will have no lume so you may have to decide which is more important lume or rolexrolexrolex? which ever you choose they are both nice watches

Master

The crown logo with the name Rolex under it is super visible. Wear a rolex and it get noticed once people look at your watch.

Craftsman

I've had 14060s with and without and defo prefer a 2line version without :)

No, no, it's fine. It's all part of the package, every time you read the dial.

I'm only joking.

ish

Craftsman

Due to the untreated reflective crystal, you won't notice it so much. Stands out a lot more in photos than real life. If the watch is otherwise what you're after, go for it.

Master

I do not notice the Rolex engraved rehaut, as well as the "Blancpain" text on my watches

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    My opinion: Get a two liner with tritium dial..... that's what I just did (for the second time.... :roll:)
    I concur, the two line, non-branded rehault is a much neater option than the COSC Sub ND. Having said that, there is talk that as the 4 line COSC model will have a shorter production run, assuming there is a 14060 C version released, it may attract better resale value further on down the road. Who knows?

All I know is that I'm pleased my 16610 does not have all the extra gubbins around the rehaut.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

It's really not noticeable in everyday use. The 14060M is a brilliant all purpose watch.

Blog Entries

If you like the watch I say go for it and enjoy

I recently compared a 2 liner with a 4 liner virtually side by side and I felt the 4 liner was more balanced.
    The Rolex engraving is not an issue, in fact my watches without it almost look as if something is missing!!
    Pragnells of Stratford had a new 2 liner in the window when I was past 2 weeks ago

Peter

I never notice it on any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Gentlemen, your advise please.

It's about to happen: I'm at the threshold of Rolex ownership. I've bought them for my wife, but never for myself. I'm considering a 14060M (2010 - I don't know what serie). I know the seller and he's a great guy. So no problems on that front. The only 'problem' I have is the 'rolexrolexrolex' on the chapter ring. And my only question is simple: does it stand out when wearing the watch on a daly basis - or is it hardly visible. Now, let me tell you I hate the 'Blancpain' text on modern day BPs. What'a your opinion and experience?

Menno
    You can probably see from your enlarged pic that in order to see the writing you have to turn the watch at an angle and gaze quite intensely at it to see what it says. When you actually have the watch on your wrist you will not notice it. I've never been put off by the chapter writing on my Milgauss.

Craftsman

First couple of hours you may notice it cos you will be looking for it. Thereafter you wont notice it.
    Shouldnt let it stop you.

Got to agree with the above... I think they're a lot nicer. This one is from 1991.

That said, I don't find the engraving particularly noticeable, so if you want a newer one don't let it put you off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Ive had both over the last 2 weeks and still have the Rolex. Rolex ring but in reality you don't notice it in every day use.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Banned

My opinion: Get a two liner
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Got to agree with the above... I think they're a lot nicer
    Just bear in mind, the two line version is not COSC, so you may need to also buy an atomic G Shock to keep it running on time.

Journeyman

You don't notice the rehault in daily wear...it's really a non issue for me and besides I like it. Only warning I would have is this watch can seriously damage any rotation you have going on, I have mine on a NATO and its just so wearable, nothing else gets a look in. Since picking one up the thought of going down to one watch has crossed my mind several times, so far I have managed to stop myself doing anything stupid but it has curtailed other purchases. I've not tried another watch on since I purchased that I felt could displace it from top spot so have let them pass.

For me it really is 'the one'....at the moment anyway

I think that watch you are looking at is the perfect choice. I have the "Rolex Rolex Rolex" on my 16610, and I never see it, unless I look for it; tbh it's quite a nice detail. If I was buying a Sub ND, it would be the one in your picture

David

Master

Get it bought.
    What can a COSC version be bought for, when were they first produced?
    Is the ceramic version just a myth?
    Full set, perfect & you trust the owner what's not to like?

I would go for it, the engraving is a lot worse in pictures than in person, seems you have trust in the seller, the watch is nearly new so won't have the service issues and wear and tear of an older one - go for it and if worse comes to worse you will be able to sell it easily

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Just bear in mind, the two line version is not COSC, so you may need to also buy an atomic G Shock to keep it running on time.
    ;-)

@Tony: The one I bought this week is a '91 too - complete package and as far as I can tell from the pics I saw in superb condition. Hope to hold it in my hands Monday/Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    ;-)

@Tony: The one I bought this week is a '91 too - complete package and as far as I can tell from the pics I saw in superb condition. Hope to hold it in my hands Monday/Tuesday.
    Lovely - hopefully you'll have a nice creamy patina on the dial and hands too. I have everything with mine bar the certificate, and I reckon you've done well to find a full set.

(Sorry for the thread H/J)

Craftsman

The engraved rehaut on the 14060 is know to be far more subtle than on the 16610.

You won't be bother that much by this.
    However, if you want to be 100%, buy an older version (2 lines) either superluminova or older.

As most others have said, it's not at all obvious and you really do have to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surface
    You don't notice the rehault in daily wear...it's really a non issue for me and besides I like it. Only warning I would have is this watch can seriously damage any rotation you have going on, I have mine on a NATO and its just so wearable, nothing else gets a look in. Since picking one up the thought of going down to one watch has crossed my mind several times, so far I have managed to stop myself doing anything stupid but it has curtailed other purchases. I've not tried another watch on since I purchased that I felt could displace it from top spot so have let them pass.

+1. hardlly wear my Daytona these days as the Sub never leaves my wrist

You really have to look for it to see it. Go for it, one of my favourite watches.

Craftsman

Liked the watch, but the bracelet and clasp dont feel up to the same standard, so sold mine.

Quite inconspicuous . It has the benefit of your serial number engraved on the ring also (at 6).

The older ones need the bracelet removed and replaced to reveal the serial number.

Blog Entries

Gentlemen! Thank you for your answers. I was a little confused about the 2 lines vs 4 lines matter - I handn't thought about that, but then it dawned me: this probably the only watch I can easily trade for the other version! So, it's no matter. I will proceed! To be continued.

Menno

I sought out a 16610LV without the engraved rehaut as I had a new style turn o graph and sold it partly because I HATED the new engraving! Sorry, but I think it is immediately noticeable and detracts from the whole look. Unless the angle on the 14060M is different I would avoid it like the plague

Master

The rehaut engraving (on a 14060m) is not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Master

i personally don,t like the rehaut and given the choice would buy one without it.
    blancpain engraved on the case of their models is also off putting

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I have just purchased one with the Rolex rehault no problem go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by no.3
    i personally don,t like the rehaut and given the choice would buy one without it.
    blancpain engraved on the case of their models is also off putting
    Agreed - I really don't like that!

Grand Master

I don`t think it matters at all. Personally, I`d go for the newest COSC model available at decent money. Not really into the tritium dial thing, basically the same watch but older IMO.......but that's my take on the whole vintage Sub business, despite being a fan of vintage watches.

Paul

I replaced my Explorer and non date Sub with new versions and at first i was concerned about the Rolex engraved rehaut but honestly i don't notice them in daily use, it seems to stand out in pictures but not so on the wrist.
    I think they actually add something, when you do look for them they show an attention to detail.
    I'm not so sure about the 4 lines of text, the 2 lines are certainly cleaner but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.
    It's a nice choice to be be having to make, enjoy your new watch :)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    I don`t think it matters at all. Personally, I`d go for the newest COSC model available at decent money. Not really into the tritium dial thing, basically the same watch but older IMO.......but that's my take on the whole vintage Sub business, despite being a fan of vintage watches.

Paul
    Isn't appreciating the older (tritium) dials an integral part of being a fan of vintage watches though, Paul?

Hardly visible... and must be the best watch in the world :)

Blog Entries

UPDATE: I'm almost getting nervous like a small kid a few days before his birthday. I can not explain why. I (have) own(ed) lots of great watches. But non of them made gave me that feeling. Is this normal, or should I seek for help.

The seller is a newby fellow forum member. Over the years, I've done several transactions with him overhere in Holland. That adds to the fun: buying from a guy I know. I think we'll turn it into a mini meet!

Menno

Journeyman

Menno,

That may well be the charm of these watches, the magic!

I'm sure it will be a minimeet... :wink:

About the Rolex engraved into the rehaut; I also thougt it might be a bit over the top, but in real I think is a "sweet" subtil detail...

See you soon!

Craftsman

It's totally normal, I'm still extra nervous when tending to buy / buying / about to receive a Rolex, even after a few !
    (I just received a 14060 today :D)

Grand Master

You wont see the writing unless you look for it, I never even see the Original Escape on my DSSD and thats 3 times the font
    RIAC

Master

In my opinion, the rolexrolexrolex does nto stand out, it is quite hard to see and you can only catch it in certain light, or you need to be specifically looking. The casual observer would never notice it.

I prefer the simpler dial - but you can't go wrong with a COSC version either.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

+1 for this . I bought mine as an occasional wearer. I Actually ended up wearing it every day (14060 m ) you dont notice the rehault in use , just thesimplicity and classic lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Surface