closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick GMT question...

Master

Quick GMT question...

Ok I REALLY like the GMT-IIC...but may I kindly ask if you guys honestly find a GMT watch useful :shock: ?

I mean I can easily subtract 3 from 12 and I'm not exactly a genius :lol: ...

Whenever I fly...to say London, I just set my watch an hour forward and remember that at my home it's just an hour difference, so if the time reads 10.30pm I just know that it is 'still' 9.30pm back home. Is that really that difficult :roll: ?

I like Chronos for their ability to time events to the second but GMTs :? ?

I would really like to know your opinion as to why you find a GMT watch useful :mrgreen: ...

Re: Quick GMT question...

If you do a lot of travelling across multiple time zones it's incredibly useful. If you don't, it probably isn't.

Not really a function I use much, but I do like a nice GMT watch nevertheless!

regards,
    Nick

I had a GMT and found the 4th hand totally useless. I never set it to another time zone and like you I just added/subtracted an hour or two. With thet 4th hand and a cyclops date window, I found the watch difficult to read at a glance (which is what you normally do). I loved the watch and the coke bezel - so very Rolex - but it didn't really do it for me.

Cheers

Master

Quick GMT question...

When I'm country hopping on business - typically 3-4 countries in a week - its always Omega SM GMT or the B1 for me.

If I go on a holiday, why bother knowing what time it is back home.. :) so I usually take the Sinn UX or a fun watch.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13
    Whenever I fly...to say London, I just set my watch an hour forward and remember that at my home it's just an hour difference, so if the time reads 10.30pm I just know that it is 'still' 9.30pm back home. Is that really that difficult :roll: ?
    Look at this scrub, with his one hour TZ travels!
    :wink:

I often travel more than one hour difference, and I generally, irrationally, like the complication. I also really like changing the local time without hacking the watch.

Given that the extra hand and markings add very little, visually, to a watch (compared to a chronograph, for example) I feel it's a complication worth having. But it's not essential. Like much of this hobby.

Quick GMT question...

^I think the last two sentences above pretty much sum it up. I work and travel in three timezomes (-7 & +2) and though I can do the maths in my head (and often do even with a GMT watch on), it's nice to have the complication.

GMT's? I love them and I split my time between Harrogate and San Diego so yes, I find it very useful, but as I have the two time zones on my phone I could manage without a GMT watch but it is nice to have a few to choose from......

Master

I use mine a fair amount when I'm travelling as I'm a cheapskate and quite happy to make a couple of connections to get to Vegas where we usually go on holiday and it's handy for setting to the local time to ensure i get the next connection. I prefer a "proper" GMT watch where it's the actual hours of the watch that are quick set and not the GMT hand so usually have my GMT-IIC as my travel watch

Quote Originally Posted by SIB
    .... I prefer a "proper" GMT watch where it's the actual hours of the watch that are quick set and not the GMT hand so usually have my GMT-IIC as my travel watch
    Likewise, although most recently I took my Omega Great White with me (which also has the quick set hour hand)

Yes they are useful. I spend my time between Germany, Spain, Tokyo, Sydney, and sometimes America. When you travel a lot it's very easy to forget what time zone you're in when you wake up, so seeing the time back home at a glance is useful.

I guess if you only ever travel + or - one hour and don't travel anywhere else you'll easily be able to remember, but when you spend half your year flying around the world to many different time zones it's not so easy to remember. Especially after a big night out!

Master

I have a few Rolex GMT's and have never used the second time zone function in anger - mucked about setting the GMT hand of course, but not for any real purpose - too scared to take them on holiday and always dig out my £50 quartz diver. If regularly abroad on business, then more likely I guess.

I bought them because I like the overall look of the watch and the inserts add a bit of colour !

I haven't got a ceramic GMT but do like the look, particulary the green GMT hand - if you like the watch go for it, I wouldn't feel that not using the intended key function is a problem - doesn't seem to be a problem for 99% of sub owners !

I use it, I like it :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Thanks for your replies guys :D ...also I think a good feature for the watch would be if you work in places where you lose track of am/pm (like caves, dive bells etc...) :wink: ...

I have a GMTc. I don't really go any where and if I did I would probably wear a cheaper watch.
    I have a GMT because its a practical watch to have. If I want to know what time it elsewhere I can. And of course it looks and feels good. :)

Grand Master

I have used a GMT watch for tracking a timezone elsewhere in the world, especially if it's a fair way off the timezone I'm in. However a few of these times I've needed to track a timezone that's 30 min off, and practically all analogue watches are useless for that. So now I have a world clock on my desktop.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I had a GMTII as my daily wearer for a number of years and although I used the GMT function infrequently it was a pleasure when I did!

Mark

Master

So you cannot set GMT time in half hour increments on a mechanical GMT watch?

Master

Blancpain does one..

http://www.blancpain.com/en/news/viller ... re-8-jours

But 15 minute increments for the likes of Nepal, which is UTC +5:45 ... don't think so :)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    Blancpain does one..

Suffice it to say that no RRP is specified. If you have to ask, etc...

Actually an old Rolex GMT-Master which has no quick-set anything (24h hand is slaved to the 12h hand) is able to show any other timezone because its bezel rotates freely with no clicksteps. Least, the one I tried, did. Also, there are several mechanical quartz movements that allow a smoothly adjustable 24h hand, allowing you to point it at a completely different time (as opposed to timezone).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    Blancpain does one..

But 15 minute increments for the likes of Nepal, which is UTC +5:45 ... don't think so :)
    Not quite :) Vacheron does one that covers both half hour and 15 minute time zones: http://www.watchtime.com/2011/01/vacher ... orld-time/
    Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNj1C8qxA8

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748
    I split my time between Harrogate and San Diego
    I doubt there's many people can say that! Is there a direct flight? :wink:

GMTs - I can do simple maths, but I always travel with my GMT, always use the function, and always find it useful. In terms of what I actually NEED from a watch, the Rolex is pretty much perfect: time, date, GMT, AR crystal, wearable size and enough WR to use a hotel pool without having to take it off. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10
    I have a GMTc. I don't really go any where and if I did I would probably wear a cheaper watch.
    I have a GMT because its a practical watch to have. If I want to know what time it elsewhere I can. And of course it looks and feels good. :)
    All the reason you need :lol: