closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junghans Max Bill (photo's)

Junghans Max Bill (photo's)

I already shot some photo's of this watch but tonight I made two with the bracelet and want to share them with you. So tell me what you think. I like the the brown strap best and the bracelet is not my favourite combo.

Personally I like the watch but it would be strange if I didn't. I also looked at the chrono but that isn't a "real" design from Max Bill and also I didn't like it on my wrist. It was just too high.

Starting with my favourite photo:

and the two from tonight:

Junghans Max Bill 11 by Bidle, on Flickr

Junghans Max Bill 12 by Bidle, on Flickr

Master

Re: Junghans Max Bill (photo's)

Love the Junghans design, you've got a cracker there.

In my opinion, it's a very versatile watch and works with each of those straps (some slightly better than others); I'd always thought of it on a black strap for some reason though...

Interesting that the chrono didn't work for you. What's the difference in 'thickness' between the two? I'd always thought I'd go for the chrono if I had the option.

Master

It is one of my absolute favourites but the small size keeps putting me off committing to buy one. The clean design is simply beautiful. and the mesh strap looks fantastic on it.

Master

Just googled and looks like both the chrono and non-chrono are 10mm thick...

Edit: take this with a pinch of salt; there seem to be discrepancies in the info I found.

Quote Originally Posted by mab

Edit: take this with a pinch of salt; there seem to be discrepancies in the info I found.
    You are probably right, but the case back isn't flat.... its is (my bad English) conic?? Also it is bigger 40mm instead of 38mm but that's fine!

Master

Looks like the chrono is 40mm excluding crown and 14.5mm thick.

Non-chrono is 38mm excluding crown and 10mm thick.

Ah, so the caseback is 'convex' - I can see why it may sit a little high and be a little uncomfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle

You are probably right, but the case back isn't flat.... its is (my bad English) conic?? Also it is bigger 40mm instead of 38mm but that's fine!

That's the problem with the 7750 ... it's too damn thick. :(

... otherwise I would have really wanted the chrono. Especially with the black dial.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

It works on the straps but my favorite is the mesh.

Great watch. I really like those Max Bills from Junghans. Nice clean designs, and a beautifully domed crystal.

regards,
    Nick

Blog Entries

Nice, clean and simple, and looking great on that mesh.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I love that (and at 38mm it would be a great size for me), and agree that both straps and bracelet look great.

I was working until recently a stone's through from a watchmaker/dealer that had a good stock of Junghans (including Max Bill). They were very tempting, I must say.

PS Nice photography, by the way - something "old school" about it.

Master

Beautiful watch; I definitely like it most on the brown strap.

Lovely watch, I've admired the Max Bill range for a while and those photos really bring out how clean and classy they look.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice

That’s a really classy watch; congratulations and nice photos! I have always liked the Bauhaus design. Nomos and Stowa make similar minimalist watches, but Max Bill is the original.

Craftsman

The more I see these the more and more I like them. Lovely photographs.

Matt.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

... otherwise I would have really wanted the chrono. Especially with the black dial.

john
    Have you been to check them out in real time? There is a tiny independent AD in Fleet Street and it's worth having a look as they are very different in the flesh, to me at least.

Very tasty pictures, especially the mesh.

I think the design is very nice. I like the white face with minimalist markings. Looks great on tan & mesh.

Rod

john
    I also like the black dial but the date is black on white!??? Should have been white on black. Now the date is too much in sight.

Thx, for all the kind/nice words! I bought it mainly because I like Max Bill a lot and thought I wouldn't wear it much. Now I have it is on my wrist more then I could have imagined! :)

I was watching a BBC prog the other day … “The Genius of Design - Ghosts in the Machine” which was mainly about industrial design. Clockwise they showed a few Braun. What did impress me was when one the designers said that … “A good design is as little design as possible!”

I feel the statement goes beyond minimalism and down to, form “scrupulously” following function. The Max Bill designs also fall under that category.

Quote Originally Posted by stix

john
    Have you been to check them out in real time? There is a tiny independent AD in Fleet Street and it's worth having a look as they are very different in the flesh, to me at least.

No I haven't. When you are there, check if they have the chronos and get the address for me please. PM me as I don't have the time to check all nooks and crannies of the forum these days.

john

I had the chrono version & really liked it, just didn't get worn very often so got sold on here -

Dan

Banned

maybe some wrist shots would be good :) i have one at home and will shoot some pictures later today. they are very well made watches with a nice vintage feeling.

Great pictures of a very classic watch. Looks also good with the mesh-bracelet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle
    I also like the black dial but the date is black on white!??? Should have been white on black. Now the date is too much in sight.
    That's my only visual criticism of the black face chrono... completely agree.

Max Bill created some beautiful things for Junghams.

A few quick and dirty photos. The light here is pathetic today so had to have lots of spots on.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Max Bill created some beautiful things for Junghams.
    Well, Max Bill didn't created the chrono! It's from a design of one of Junghans own designers and based on the Max Bill design. The other designs were just magnified to the current diameter. :)

The clock that you have in your last picture hangs in the standard collection of the MOA in New-York!

Love the profile of those with the domed acrylic, just lovely.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

This is probably the nicest picture in my collection. I love the way the dial and hands curve.

And this my favourite pic of the black.

john

Journeyman

Awesome :!: What is diameter size and thickness?

Master

“A good design is as little design as possible!”
    That is so true. It seems to me that modern watch designers are trying to add value and difference to their product by unnecessary over design. The beauty of these watches is an ideal example of how form can follow function

regards

tim

Quote Originally Posted by erasuretim

“A good design is as little design as possible!”
    That is so true. It seems to me that modern watch designers are trying to add value and difference to their product by unnecessary over design. The beauty of these watches is an ideal example of how form can follow function

regards

tim
    You'll be referring to Dieter Rams' ten principles, of which that is one. Less, but better.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell.pl
    Awesome :!: What is diameter size and thickness?
    Just read the thread. ;-)

Master

thanks for the link - I enjoyed reading it.

regards

tim

Sorry for resurrecting this dead thread, but I saw a Max Bill in the steel for the first time yesterday and I've got the itch. Is there anything else out there that's comparable? Stowa, Nomos come to mind, and I think Sinn have something similar now, but I'm thinking more of the profile than the dial, as it were.

Kamraj

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kamraj
    Sorry for resurrecting this dead thread, but I saw a Max Bill in the steel for the first time yesterday and I've got the itch. Is there anything else out there that's comparable? Stowa, Nomos come to mind, and I think Sinn have something similar now, but I'm thinking more of the profile than the dial, as it were.

Kamraj
    Have you looked at the original vintage pieces from the 1940's? Sometimes on eBay or our own sales corner a really Bauhaus looking contemporary watch comes up and can be picked up relatively cheaply. Especially if it was made by a non sexy brand. And it is nice to wear something that is original rather than a reissue. Here are a couple that I have managed to get...

Or if you want really minimal Bauhaus I like the Doxa Grafic....here is my battered example but I would love a smarter one...

regards

tim

Nice photos there Tim. I particularly like that Nivrel.

regards,
    Nick

That Junghans is one of the most achingly beautiful watches ever designed, IMO.

I think that the watch and mesh strap were made for each other. The watch on black strap very nice. For me brown straps should be on gold watches. Talking on op's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    I thought so too, until I saw what Nomos did with the lugs on the Orion. Then it became a missed opportunity.

Lazy case design lets down most German makers. Its counter intuitive, but straight lines in metal don't make for "aching" simplicity.

PS Of course it is still a fantastic watch, just not quite heaven.

Craftsman

very clean 'design' and very 'wantable' especially with the brown strap. Great acquisition

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I thought so too, until I saw what Nomos did with the lugs on the Orion. Then it became a missed opportunity. Lazy case design lets down most German makers. Its counter intuitive, but straight lines in metal don't make for "aching" simplicity.
    I also prefer the design of the lugs on the Nomos, but they always look slightly too long to me (my guess is they'd certainly be too long for my wrist — a problem I have with many watches, unfortunately).

I thought so too, until I saw what Nomos did with the lugs on the Orion. Then it became a missed opportunity. Lazy case design lets down most German makers. Its counter intuitive, but straight lines in metal don't make for "aching" simplicity.
    I also prefer the design of the lugs on the Nomos, but they always look slightly too long to me (my guess is they'd certainly be too long for my wrist — a problem I have with many watches, unfortunately).
    It's a 35mm case and the lugs curve down so if you can get along with the Smiths 29a you will be fine. The one issue with the Orion is that the dial looks it best outdoors with the sun on it. For a dress/suit watch that can be a little frustrating.

It's a 35mm case and the lugs curve down so if you can get along with the Smiths 29a you will be fine.
    The curve would make all the difference for me. Good advice.

I think the Max Bill Chronoscope is now number 1 on my want list. The only thing that's stopped me to date is the curved back - you read lots of posts about how it 'sits high'. But the pics on this thread look damn fine to me.

Without getting into a heated dress watch definition debate, I reckon this is as good as it gets for me as a dress watch (achinlgy beautiful, not too big, understated), even if it is a chrono.

Lovely pics on this thread - thanks all. But expensive :)

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo
    I think the Max Bill Chronoscope is now number 1 on my want list. The only thing that's stopped me to date is the curved back - you read lots of posts about how it 'sits high'. But the pics on this thread look damn fine to me.
    I have Max Bill Chronoscope on my wrist and yes it has the curved back but no it doesn' t sit (so) high. Shape of the case is unusual and that together with domed chrystal makes it feel more flat as it actually is. Especially if and very often when you turn your wrist up.

I have some other 7750-based chronos what "officially" are as high but inpractise feels much higher.

JP

Erasuretim,

thanks for the tip on the vintage pieces - if ever I saw something like that Nivrel I'd be all over it like ... a thing that was very all over something else. It's a truly lovely piece. I picked up a Citizen Deluxe on the bay recently which is in some ways quite Bauhaus - all dial, thin case, domed acrylic, albeit with baton markers and dauphin hands. However, the itch seems to be for something with a black dial, 36mm+ size, slim case, auto, with a date, so I fear that I'm talking myself into the Max Bill!

Raysablade,

I'm not sure I agree about the lugs. For me the whole Bauhaus thing is about drawing attention to the dial, so that the case, especially the lugs, are about being inconspicuous. It's almost the reverse of the classic Grand/King Seiko design motif! I'd go for hidden lugs except that they seem to be more trouble than they're worth, and just from pictures I prefer the older, kinked, style of Nomos lugs. BTW, didn't I get a Favre Leuba from you years ago? It's something of a favourite.

Seamaster 73,

I have possibly the thinnest wrists in the universe. My Smiths W10 is too long in the lugs for me! I sympathise. But as Raysablade said, the drop makes all the difference (quoth I, wearing an Orange Monster as I type).

Kamraj

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Beautiful watch; I definitely like it most on the brown strap.
    Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

:D Brilliant watch, classic minimalist design that looks pure class.

Classy and Elegant..........