TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UX v. U1

UX v. U1

which do you prefer and why?
    particularly interested to hear from those that have had both watches
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Re: UX v. U1

Had a UX.
    Fantastic heft and quality, best of all, a reference to set my automatics by- scary accuracy
    I had it assayed at work with a positive material identification test..(called a pmi in the oil business,-used to double check metal composition before welding repairs are done...)......genuine hi-grade stainless alloy
    solid piece

Master

You have a new avatar. 8)

yeah ..do you know who it is i wonder//?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    which do you prefer and why?
    particularly interested to hear from those that have had both watches
    Sorry don't have either but would definitely prefer the U1 as I just don't like the thought of having to send the UX back to Sinn for a battery replacement. Also IMHO the U1 looks better. One caveat though, for those that don't know, even though you can buy the U1 new for just over £1000 and pick it up second hand for around £700 it has been 'repped' and fakes are out there. Quite incredible really, but be warned!

UX all the way for me - had the GSG9 version and will have a standard version at some point. One of the coolest watches out there imo 8). Not a huge fan of U1 dial & hands though, unlike most.

I too prefer the look of the UX. I think the U1 has silly looking hands. To me they look like a miniature train station clock.

Andy Tims got himself a UX not too long ago and I'm pretty sure he's owned a U1 in the past, I dare say he'll be along at some point :)

U1 of course! First of all, I prefer mechanical watches. In addition, even though the oil filled case idea is interesting, I don't need the extra water resistance that it provides and I couldn't stand the fact that the watch has to go away for a couple of months for the battery to be replaced.

I love the look, the feel and the quality. At the moment it's my go-to watch. I don't think I'll ever part with it.

Love the slimline look.

I don't and haven't owned either, but would take the UX over the U1. All this chatter about battery replacement is misplaced and displays rather alarming double-standards in my humble opinion. We regularly send mechanical watches for service and have to wait a while to get them back - what's different with the UX battery? Most members here appear to be in the business of buying, and rather swifly selling their watches. If they were to e slightly longer term collectors, they might find that having a watch 'in the shop' is a relatively common occurrence. Luckily, most of us have a second watch! One more point - the UX battery lasts at least seven years. That's pretty good compared to the number if times I'd have to get a mechanical watch serviced during the same period. One thing that has been overlooked is the testing of seals etc for WR. I regularly have my dive watch tested. If the UX fails, I assume it has to go back to Sinn, rather than have your local chap add a few drops more and tighten the caseback? Finally, has there been any negative feedback from the German units that use these? Surely that's a pretty good benchmark?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I don't and haven't owned either, but would take the UX over the U1. All this chatter about battery replacement is misplaced and displays rather alarming double-standards in my humble opinion. We regularly send mechanical watches for service and have to wait a while to get them back - what's different with the UX battery? Most members here appear to be in the business of buying, and rather swifly selling their watches. If they were to e slightly longer term collectors, they might find that having a watch 'in the shop' is a relatively common occurrence. Luckily, most of us have a second watch! One more point - the UX battery lasts at least seven years. That's pretty good compared to the number if times I'd have to get a mechanical watch serviced during the same period. One thing that has been overlooked is the testing of seals etc for WR. I regularly have my dive watch tested. If the UX fails, I assume it has to go back to Sinn, rather than have your local chap add a few drops more and tighten the caseback? Finally, has there been any negative feedback from the German units that use these? Surely that's a pretty good benchmark?
    Another thread appears to indicate that there was a batch of UXs with faulty batteries:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153630

U1 and U2 first for me out of the Sinn line up every time - although I do like the GSG version of the UX and certainly wouldn't mind wearing any of the aforementioned watches.

I like the individual looks of the U1 - very distinctive.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark
    Andy Tims got himself a UX not too long ago and I'm pretty sure he's owned a U1 in the past, I dare say he'll be along at some point :)
    I've had a U2 as well.

As Broussard said the battery change is a non issue for me - Once every 7 to 10 years for a battery change vs every 4 to 5 years for a service :?:

The U1 wears a bit chunkier and whilst I love the lego hands, the sword hands on the UX are more "mature" if you catch my drift. I have seen a U1 with UX hands - looked great.

Sorry to sit on the fence, but choosing between the U1 & UX is impossible for me - I love them both.

The SDR versions are the business - pity they don't do a GSG9 UX SDR
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I've had both. I bought a U1 a while back, but the Lego hands lost their appeal after a while and it was sold. I owned and sold a UX too, but missed it (one of the few watches I have missed after selling), and I bought another. I currently have both the standard version and the GSG9 version.

For those people who complain that the watch has to be sent back to Sinn for a battery change, it's worth noting that it is not "just" a battery change. The watch will also be serviced / seals replaced / dial and hands replaced at the same time. This is expected to happen every 7 years, and the cost for everything last time? £90 including shipping. This is probably less frequently than a mechanical watch has to be serviced, so if this is inconvenient for you there's little point in you buying anything mechanical with an in-house movement either (as that would have to go back to the manufacturer for service and would probably take longer / cost more) ;)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    I've had a U2 as well.

As Broussard said the battery change is a non issue for me - Once every 7 to 10 years for a battery change vs every 4 to 5 years for a service :?:
    Fair comment (although I don't service my mechanical watches that frequently personally) - but compared (eg) to an hour for a battery change, which is what my Aerospace took last time I had it changed - not so good.

Master

Ive had both, just sold the UX to 'RLE' and the U1 to 'raydin'
    I bought the U1 first and it became my favorite watch, the one that I never thought I would sell.
    The UX, I bought simply because it is oil filled and a marvel, also 7 year battery life was good, as not needed to go back to Sinn for battery/oil change in my ownership.
    The UX just didnt get enough wrist time to justify keeping and was the watch that I put on if my autos were not wound up.
    The U1 would win every time, If you havnt handled one its a little hard to explain but it just feels right and what a design, I love the massive hands :lol: .
    I only sold mine along with a few others as im saving for a Grand Seiko spring drive or MM600, if this wasnt the case I would not have sold the U1 but probably would have sold the UX.
    Hope this helps.

Master

yeah ..do you know who it is i wonder//?
    Is it Ian from Tibet?

Close.but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    it's worth noting that it is not "just" a battery change. The watch will also be serviced / seals replaced / dial and hands replaced at the same time. This is expected to happen every 7 years, and the cost for everything last time? £90 including shipping. )
    ive heard of hands and dials being replaced on earlier watches as the oil initially used subjected them to discolouring, but are you sure that every watch sent back for a battery change gets new dial and hands as a matter of course?

Right from the start I have to say I am biased because I own a U1 and I have never handled a UX.
    I DO love the clean, uncluttered U1 dial, but for me one of the most attractive feature of any automatic watch is the mesmerising smoothly sweeping second hand - I could watch it all day.
    Time keeping is also pretty exceptional - clearly not quartz but not far off.

Cheers,
    Ian.

Only had a U1, but it was a fabulous thing. When I can afford to, it will be replaced immediately. For me, I thought the hands were ugly for ages and then one day it just clicked and suddenly I really liked them.

I doubt you can go wrong with either, the form factor and comfort on the wrist is excellent (certainly was for the U1 and I can't see it being any different for the UX). While I normally prefer sword hands over anything, there is something so distinctive about the U1 look that it makes it something special, I think. Other than that, would you rather have quartz or mechanical, that's probably the biggest question?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I have a U1 amongst my Sinns. It's the one I wear the most. The design is fantastic and it is incredibly comfortable to wear. The hands in particluar make it a very distinctive watch. Never owned a UX as I'm not bothered about quartz at the moment, but I'd certainly consider it in the future maybe (personally I wouldn't consider the battery change as an issue).

regards,
    Nick

You'll need a UX to set your U1 by :D

I have both and gotta say at the moment I would be hard pressed to sell either at this point.

I sold my U1 this month on a bit of a whim and following its departure I instantly knew I had made a mistake. Rather than sourcing an immediate replacement I decided to give the UX a shot and Nathan (Gee Whiz) thankfully came to my aid.

With the ownership experience of the U1 still very clearly in mind the UX failed to hit the spot for me. Firstly I have very small wrists (6.5") and although the U1 is big it wore really quite well and defied its size. The UX has the same dimensions but wore a lot bigger visually and although very comfortable didn't look right. The UX also seemed lighter (not 100% sure of the figures for both but the U1 certainly had more heft).

The lego block hands are not to everyones taste but very distinctive and as mentioned before the sweeping second hand is almost poetic.

In an ideal world I would loved to have kept it and added the U1 to the collection again. Glad I tried it but in conclusion the U1 wins for me everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE
    Firstly I have very small wrists (6.5") and although the U1 is big it wore really quite well and defied its size. The UX has the same dimensions but wore a lot bigger visually and although very comfortable didn't look right. The UX also seemed lighter (not 100% sure of the figures for both but the U1 certainly had more heft).
    Did you have them both on the same type of strap/bracelet? For some reason I found both the UX and U1 too chunky when on the rubber but perfect on the bracelet. I put it down to the chunky lug ends of the Sinn rubber.

Once every 7 to 10 years for a battery change vs every 4 to 5 years for a service :?:
    For me always wearing watches in rotation that is not actually accurate. Battery needs to be replaced at a more or less standard periods (besides the issues mentioned on another thread) on quartz watches, while mechanical watches need service every 4 to 5 years, usually if they are worn on a daily basis. If not, they could last much more than that. I have a 8 years old vostok amphibian, which is among the cheapest mechanical watches available and still it does not need to be serviced and I'm wearing this watch for about 2-3 months per year.

Quote Originally Posted by heygan
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE
    Firstly I have very small wrists (6.5") and although the U1 is big it wore really quite well and defied its size. The UX has the same dimensions but wore a lot bigger visually and although very comfortable didn't look right. The UX also seemed lighter (not 100% sure of the figures for both but the U1 certainly had more heft).
    Did you have them both on the same type of strap/bracelet? For some reason I found both the UX and U1 too chunky when on the rubber but perfect on the bracelet. I put it down to the chunky lug ends of the Sinn rubber.
    Both on bracelet. Only way to go IMHO :D

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    it's worth noting that it is not "just" a battery change. The watch will also be serviced / seals replaced / dial and hands replaced at the same time. This is expected to happen every 7 years, and the cost for everything last time? £90 including shipping. )
    ive heard of hands and dials being replaced on earlier watches as the oil initially used subjected them to discolouring, but are you sure that every watch sent back for a battery change gets new dial and hands as a matter of course?
    Yes, I spoke to Sinn about it when mine went back in September. My old UX and my EZM2 both had silicon oil attack the lume and both were worked on foc as a result. The latest UX is filled with the newer teflon oil and there was nothing wring with dial or hands when it went back, but Sinn quoted me for the service including replacements and told me when I questioned this that it was standard practice.

I have a U1 on a bracelet and wouldn't want to be without it. The design is unusual - all depends if you like it. I considered the UX but preferred the look of the U1 and I wanted an automatic. I would love a UX as well - the battery change wouldn't bother me. You can't go wrong with either but the U1 edges it for me.

They do! Jura have them, they even have one with a SDR / PVD strap!

I've had the UX GSG9 and a U1. for me, the UX wins every time. The simple OCD reason for me is the dial looks pure black on the UX but greyish on the U1!

I also love the technology involved in the UX. Of all the watches I've owned, it's the one that people have paid the most complements regarding, even non-wis friends and family!

It looks great on the bracelet, the rubber, a NATO or even a Toshi!

(wanders off to SC to see if any are for sale!)

forgive my ignorance but what does the 'sdr' signify?

'schwarzem Drehring' = black bezel

acha. munchen obligado.

Master

acha 1 munchen obligado 0
    You been watching "Match Of The Day" Path? :P

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909

They do! Jura have them, they even have one with a SDR / PVD strap!
    Didn't think that model existed. Cool
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The UX is very close to the top of my list of dream watches.
    Lovely clean and simple design.
    A real case of less is more.