closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Problem with chrono seconds hand...

Craftsman

Problem with chrono seconds hand...

Hi, I have just bought a new Omega Speedmaster and the chrono second hand appears to jump and skip round the dial. Will this settle down or is there a problem with the movement?

Thanks

Joff

Sounds like the well-known 7750 jitter.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I should have said that this is a speedmaster pro manual wind. I think its a Lemania movement.

Sounds like the well-known Lemania jitter. :)

Seriously, it should be a simple adjustment unless components are damaged or worn.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Hi Eddie

what is the 7750 jitter?

Quote Originally Posted by UVox

Eddie
    Hi Eddie

what is the 7750 jitter?
    Where the centre seconds hand appears to stop then skip a couple of seconds as it traverses the dial. The bigger the dial, the more noticeable it can be.

Eddie

Thomas Reid

Eddie
    Hi Eddie

what is the 7750 jitter?
    Where the centre seconds hand appears to stop then skip a couple of seconds as it traverses the dial. The bigger the dial, the more noticeable it can be.

Eddie
    Watches with indirect seconds are prone to that sort of thing, I think. My Omega with a 285 movement does it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Journeyman

Eddie
    Hi Eddie

what is the 7750 jitter?

Eddie
    thank you Eddie

is it a defect or a characteristic of the 7750?

Craftsman
    Thanks Eddie, does that mean I need to send a brand new watch in for repairs or should I ask for a replacement? (which I bet they won't have)

The Lemania shouldn't display this if it's new Joff.

ETA will tell you it's a characteristic of the 7750 Uvox but most owners think it's a defect.

:wink:

Eddie

Master
    ETA will tell you it's a characteristic of the 7750 Uvox but most owners think it's a defect.
    Pfft.

:-P

Regards

JasonG

PS: my DC56 still does it but it no longer bothers me. The timing accuracy seems unaffected. :wave:

Hi guys,

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips, but does anyone get the feeling that mechanical chronos are a bit of a liability?

This isn't supposed to cause offence, but I seem to read a lot about "not quite right" mechanical chrono movements, be it either grating 'orrible noises from autos, jittery hands, or pushers falling off all over the place.

Sorry.....

Jim

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizzo
    Hi guys,

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips, but does anyone get the feeling that mechanical chronos are a bit of a liability?

This isn't supposed to cause offence, but I seem to read a lot about "not quite right" mechanical chrono movements, be it either grating 'orrible noises from autos, jittery hands, or pushers falling off all over the place.

Sorry.....

Jim
    And I had a Speedmaster blow up on me. Tried to stop it after jogging, and things fell off, weird noises came from the insides, etc. Traded it in for a Rolex Date. That was stolen after about 3 years, just after I had to have a spring replaced (main, or hair, I can't remember) . These mechanical watches are a disgrace. :( ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS That's when I gave up on mechanical watches for over 10 years. But, I'm back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizzo
    Hi guys,

Sorry.....

Jim
    Mechanical chronos have a lot more moving parts; that's always an engineering challenge. But there are many movements that make auto winding noices. Especially my Seiko 7S26 movements, which are very loud until they have put some tension on the big spring.

Cheers,
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    PS That's when I gave up on mechanical watches for over 10 years. But, I'm back!
    And in fine style, Bob, I think we'll all agree! 8)

Jim

Master
    [/quote]Mechanical chronos have a lot more moving parts; that's always an engineering challenge.[/quote]

Yeah, I had one of these (kidding) - it was always breaking down

"According to Forbes, In December 1999, one of the most complicated watches ever made became the most expensive watch ever sold when it was hammered down for $11 million at Sotheby's.
    In 1989, Patek Philippe created the world's most complicated timepiece, the Caliber 89, in celebration of the firm's 150th anniversary. A pocket watch like the Graves and the Packard, the Caliber 89 has <u>33 functions</u> and <u>1,728 unique parts</u>. Its complications include the date of Easter, sidereal time and a celestial chart with 2,800 stars. (forbes.com)"

Chrono jitters

Hi all

Eddie is right in that the 7750 and the Lemania often suffer from the jitters. It is simply a case of fine adjustment in order to 'cure' it. Nonetheless, it is annoying but very common with traditionally designed chrono movements.

Seiko's vertical clutch centre seconds engagement all but put paid to this characteristic with a directly driven centre seconds hand... and I think Rolex started using it some 30 years or more after Seiko :-)

Cheers

Ewan

Master
    Mmm... can you describe the jitteriness??
    I've had mechanical chronos with Omega cal 321 + 861, Seiko 6138, Heuer cal 12, Valjoux 72 etc and all have had some degree of, er, how shall I put it...imprecison of the chrono seconds counter.
    Are you sure there is actually anything wrong with yours?
    Si

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si
    Mmm... can you describe the jitteriness??
    I've had mechanical chronos with Omega cal 321 + 861, Seiko 6138, Heuer cal 12, Valjoux 72 etc and all have had some degree of, er, how shall I put it...imprecison of the chrono seconds counter.
    Are you sure there is actually anything wrong with yours?
    Si
    Same experience with my erstwhile 861 Speedy Pro. The second hand was well below par for the jumpiness. The Damasko DC 66 is fine.

All things considered, I prefer non-chrono watches. Robustness is superior, IMO.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    ...but there are also sunshine stories of chronos. My uncle has had a handwound Omega Speedy since heaven-knows-when...30 years? It's his primary watch and together spent 10 of those years in equatorial Africa. Apart from service and crystals, it has only been in the shop twice. Still on his wrist and ticking :D Pretty impressive IMO.

Cheers,
    Gert

Master

Re: Chrono jitters

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w
    Seiko's vertical clutch centre seconds engagement all but put paid to this characteristic with a directly driven centre seconds hand... and I think Rolex started using it some 30 years or more after Seiko :-)
    Rolex started doing their first chrono movement some 30 years or more after Seiko! :wink: :lol:
    Moreover Rolex or Hans Wilsdorf respectively started watch business at all more than 20 years after Seiko or Kintaro Hattori ... . 8)

/ Hal

Hi, I have just bought a new Omega Speedmaster and the chrono second hand appears to jump and skip round the dial. Will this settle down or is there a problem with the movement?
    Now you come to mention it, my Aerowatch chrono. has started doing it too. Before you mention it Eddie:

"Sounds like the well-known 7760 jitter" :wink: :lol:

Journeyman
    :( :( :( Sigh, now, I'm going to have to check all my ***)^*(&*)^ mechanical chronos.

Cheers?

Craftsman
    I took it back to the dealer who could see the problem. They offered to order a replacement or a refund. I took the refund. I then proceeded to my next nearest dealer and bought another one, However, Upon close inspection(in the car) I noticed a ding in one of the lugs along with various scuffs on the clasp and some other light marks, this was clearly not a new watch! (the chrono operated nicely though :) )
    Obviously, I went straight back and told them that I was not happy with the condition of the watch. The salesman seemed quite embarraced and explained that the stock was passed around thier various branches and the damage must have happened during these swaps. Again I got a refund. I am sure that one went straight back on display at full retail.

Seems to me that I was not meant to get a speedy this weekend!
    Must have some bad watch karma :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joff
    You got a second and even a third chance, so don't blow it! :wink:

(My Speedy Pro was one of the worst of my watches quality-wise).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Quote Originally Posted by joff
    You got a second and even a third chance, so don't blow it! :wink:

Mine was the best. :P

But I would take Crusader's advice ... you've had your warnings. :twisted:

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Another unmistakeable indication of the Omega haphazardness ... :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Another unmistakeable indication of the Omega haphazardness ... :wink:
    :D 8)

john
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman

Eddie
    Doesn't seem to affect functionality, but aesthetically disturbing.

One of my chronos suffers from the jitter as well. Is it worthwile to let it repair?

Master
    There's a posting in the Timezone classics about the jerky second hand:

3) My final question is a bit more serious: After using the chrnograph feature, I noticed that sometimes the second hand seems to exhibit jerky motion. It's doesn't happen every time and I have to pay a close attention to it, but it seems more prevalent when the chronograph function hasn't been used for a while. For instance, when I checked the watch this morning, the second hand got stuck around 5 minute mark for two seconds and then jumped ahead two seconds. It appears that the internal movement is running fine but the actual hand gets stuck until somehow it's released again. Once the second hand goes around the minute mark, it seems like the problem doesn't appear again. Is this a normal syndrome for the new watch?

- No, (explanation follows)

Does it go away after the gears break in?

- No, (explanation follows)

Or should I notify the dealer or Omega?

- No, your dealer would probably not understand what you are talking about (jewellers are not watchmakers)

I would really appreciate if someone familiar with the movement can comment on this.

- I'll try. The sub seconds hand is driven directly from the seconds wheel. Via an intermediate wheel and a clutching system, the chronograph is driven by the same part of the gear train. Then there is a second intermediate wheel that drives the minutes chrono hand, while the hour hand is driven directly by the mainspring barrel. (And held back by a friction spring that sometimes gets so loose that the hour chronograph subdial starts "creeping").

When you engage the chronograph, six wheels are interlocking and engaging in each other. When you disengage the chronograph, the same wheels will disengage and release tension.

The air between the teeth of these wheels has to be absorbed somewhere. Pretend you have six loose cog-wheels in a row. When you engage them, there will be a substantial amount of free play that has to be absorbed from the moment when the first one starts moving till the last one is set in motion.

When you disengage the chronograph, the centre seconds chrono wheel will be stopped by a brake lever, and the horizontal clutch disengages. Sometimes the tension in the interlocking of the chrono wheels will be pointing in the oposite direction of the turning of the seconds wheel. That can cause it to pause for the total amount of free play in the gear train before the tension from the mainsporing barrel reaches the anchour wheel.

Why all this lengthy b**[word removed]? Just to tell you that your watch is in perfect order and that a little jerking is quite normal (you should have seen some movements with indirect driven centre seconds hands, the pause for two to three seconds all the time).
    Full article on http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...059#msg_780371, and credit to Kjell the author.

That being said - my Cal 321 Speedy doesn't exhibit any of that.

I have to say that this is all a bit scary....

Having just got a Speedy split seconds chrono for my 40th birthday - I just had to have a check......

Phew - not a jump or jitter in sight - that's a relief!

Cheers,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchesyall
    :( :( :( Sigh, now, I'm going to have to check all my ***)^*(&*)^ mechanical chronos.

Cheers?
    Me too.
    Having not used the chrono functions for several months I gave them a run.
    Happy to say that all four Poljot 3133s showed no sign of jump or jitter. :)

chronos

I have a porsche ptc 6612 titanium chrono and it runs
    like clockwork :!: :)
    only joking , it does run very smooth and the chrono minute hand
    does'nt jump at each min but moves smoothly a bit like the main
    minute hand. Never had one that did this before. I'm not sure what
    movt is in it but it seems quite decent quality.

Craftsman

Out of the dozens of chronos I have owned through the years

quartz, automatic and manual I have never seen that. With four athletic children I use them all the time for their various athletic contest when I managed and coached and now as a fan.

Reckon I'm a lucky man, that would drive me nuts. :D