closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 007 - Wow, I didn't expect this

Seiko 007 - Wow, I didn't expect this

Hi guys.

Despite the praise it has recieved on different forums, I have to admit I was a bit worried that SKX007 wouldn't be that great. Ok, they are very cheap so it wouldn't be a disaster if it was junk.

But, wow, I was pleasantly surprised! I recieved the baby below a week ago and it has been on my wrist 99% of that time. Along with my SB2, this has quickly become my absolute favourite. It is minus 15 seconds in 6 days - not bad. IMHO, the 007 has a strange (but nice) feel of expensive and quality to it that is far beyond my Invicta 8926 and O&W MP, although they are very nice watches for the price too.

Another thing about the Seiko is how good it looks in real life. It's one of those designs that don't come across as a looker in photos, but looks beautiful on the wrist. Old news to many of you I suppose.

Anyway, here it is (nevermind my lack of photo skills):

/twang

Journeyman
    I love mine too!!! :D

The Bullet

Re: Seiko 007 - Wow, I didn't expect this

Quote Originally Posted by twang
    ...words...
    I'll go along with all that - they're fantastic watches, great value, and easy to modify. I don't have a modern SKX diver right now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one's on my wrist again.

Grand Master
    Hehehe :D

And you havent't even tried a beadblast finish and straightforward hands/dial on the 007 yet ... :

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hear Hear !

MAGIRUS.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Congrats. I want a PVD one on carbon :D

Ming

Master

Congrats!

Congrats! You should try it on a NATO/Bond :-)

Journeyman
    Welcome to the club Twang. I had the same thoughts about my 007J when I got it. It definately has a character of its own even though you can't wind it manually or hack it in the usual way.
    Think hard before getting it customized. I have seen pictures of several custom jobs but in my opinion none of them have been an improvement over the original. I would buy a second 007 for customizing if I felt the need.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Regarding the custom jobs: I'm too happy with the 007 as it is to do anything about it at the the moment. I think there is room for improvement though. I would rather have brushed metal instead of the high polish finish on the sides and I think the Seamaster 300 dial + sword hands would look great. These watches are such a great deal that I'd probably buy another one to have it modded. Btw, what's the total price of these modifications? About $100?

/twang

Quote Originally Posted by twang
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Regarding the custom jobs: I'm too happy with the 007 as it is to do anything about it at the the moment. I think there is room for improvement though. I would rather have brushed metal instead of the high polish finish on the sides and I think the Seamaster 300 dial + sword hands would look great. These watches are such a great deal that I'd probably buy another one to have it modded. Btw, what's the total price of these modifications? About $100?

/twang
    Just keep an eye on the various Sales fora. They come up rather often. ;-)

Journeyman

good to hear

Because I just ordered my 007 from Eddie....never seen on in person..despite persuing every Seiko dealer in the Seattle area.....but people seem to stand by the watch...and it comes across great in photos...I'm glad to hear that it's even better in person......mine won't get here quickly enough.

-Jason

Jason,
    you won't be disappointed. The 007 is a beautiful watch in its own utilitarian way. It is very well put together and the price is perfect. It's been the only watch I've been wearing since I got it about two weeks ago and I really can't see how that'll change anytime soon. The 007 is just a very likeable little thing.

/twang

Journeyman
    Bullet, where the hell did you get that watch? It's gorgeous.
    Regards

Craftsman
    Yup, they are exceptional watches for the money. I've often thought they'd be a few hundred more if "Swiss Made" were on the dial.

Brilliant watch - I probably wear this more than anything. Looks good on a black Rhino. You wonder how they do it for this money.

8)

Rod

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Brilliant watch - I probably wear this more than anything. Looks good on a black Rhino. You wonder how they do it for this money.

8)

Rod
    They use machines rather than have them individually crafted by hand in small villages in idyllic settings. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

So do Rolex, and they really do do it for the money! :)

Cheers,

Jim

Virtually all of the production of 007's come from Singapore now. The Japanese ones have a slightly different dial.

Really like that orange dial new model shown by Ippo. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Neil...would you say there's a substantial qualitative difference between the 007's manufactured in Singapore as opposed to Japan.....spending $200 US I'm not expecting a piece of craftsmanship on par with the Swiss....but still like to know its a well put together watch.

-Jason

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    They use machines rather than have them individually crafted by hand in small villages in idyllic settings. ;)
    Best wishes,
    Bob
    Personally I do trust more to a CNC machine than to a craftman's hand - by few exceptions.
    The whole "hand made" thing is a question of marketing. People like the imagination of genuine "idyllic" craftmanship. Moreover people think of machine made items as less valuable than hand made ones.
    Marketing simply gives to the people what they like to hear.

/ Hal

Quote Originally Posted by NEWSDUCK
    Neil...would you say there's a substantial qualitative difference between the 007's manufactured in Singapore as opposed to Japan.....spending $200 US I'm not expecting a piece of craftsmanship on par with the Swiss....but still like to know its a well put together watch.

-Jason
    I've owned both, and IMHO, there's bugger all difference, apart from the '21 Jewels' on the dial, and a Made in Japan somewhere. You'll feel no difference in owning and wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol

-Jason
    I've owned both, and IMHO, there's bugger all difference, apart from the '21 Jewels' on the dial, and a Made in Japan somewhere. You'll feel no difference in owning and wearing them.
    I agree 100% No difference at all apart from what is stated above. Quality same.

Cheers

Ewan

Craftsman
    Yep it's been a subject of much debate on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum... What is the difference between the J [Japan 21 Jewel Dial] & K [Singapore] versions??? The conclusion... The J version has a better resale value than the K version [but since it costs a bit more than the K version is should!!!!!! ] :lol: :lol:

Other than that it's made to the Seiko Specs in a Seiko factory... By Seiko trained staff... Same watch different dial... The same great quality!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

The explanation from Seiko is that the K version has a slightly different shipping route than the J version...

Mike

-Jason
    Everyone has already said it, no discernible difference in quality.

When I bought mine I went for a Japanese model as it is a Japanese watch, and collectors prefer Japanese made Seikos, no other reason.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Bugger!

You guys gave me that 007 itch again. :evil:

Had one, found it to large, sold it, regret it. :evil:

Bought my self a SKX032 and put it on Eddie black aviator strap. (Needless to say: really cool combo!)

There are now two Seikos on my short list: a black Ti Samurai, and now the itch made the 007 make the list again. :twisted:

rgds,
    /joakim+/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.st
    There are now two Seikos on my short list: a black Ti Samurai, and now the itch made the 007 make the list again. :twisted:
    Eddie!

I'll try to control the Ti Samurai itch until you have some news about the availability through your channels. :wink:

rgds,
    /joakim+/

and nobodys mentioned the amazing lume dial yet.the best by far of any watch i own.

Craftsman
    The BM's/OM's [SKX779/781] Seems to always get the Lume card...
    But you are dead right the Lume is one of the plus points of the SKX007/009's 8) 8)
    Mike

You chaps seen this one yet?

Fresh as a daisy, just released - a concoction of Diver, Monster and Samurai with the hands of a 6159 thrown in for good measure!!!

Cheers

Ewan