closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: do you have regrets ?

do you have regrets ?

Have you had any regrets parting with a particular watch/es and why?

Thanks

:)

Re: do you have regrets ?

Yep. My 911 Flightmaster which I picked up for about £800 in 2005. Sent it off to Omega for service/restoration at a cost of £360. Came back looking amazing - I knew I would never wear it for fear of damaging it. Sold it a few months later for £1100. What an idiot! Still hurts me to this day....

Grand Master

Almost every watch i've sold, being honest most of us here aren't rich, so we have to sell one to buy something else, but if we could i dare say almost everyone here would love to have kept every watch they've owned.

Off the top of my head, the watches i'd love to still have are: PAM 233, PAM 74, PAM 177, PAM 140, Rolex Sub LV, Rolex GMT IIC (Bimetal), IWC 3717 and a few others, but they had to go to fund the 'next' watch :(

My Sinn UX. I replied to a WTB for one in a moment of confusion, and before I knew it I was posting it off to it's new owner :(

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Almost every watch i've sold, being honest most of us here aren't rich, so we have to sell one to buy something else, but if we could i dare say almost everyone here would love to have kept every watch they've owned.
    +1, i bought a watch in the 1st place because i liked it and so i am always sad to see it move on although the one watch i miss having sold it to a friend (trying to get it back) was a Bell & Ross Acrylic Pilot on a bracelet, very hard to replace and one of the most comfy watches i have ever owned.

Only one I really regret selling is the JSAR.
    Not expense or anything like that but it was the first "real" watch I brought,cant even remember why I sold it now.

Just traded my Pam 114,regretted it as soon as I'd struck the deal :cry: no doubt there will be another one along soon though :)

Maybe a little my 2254. But as soon as the SD arrived I got over it.

I have regrets but they are mainly about girls not watches :-)

Master

Selling

I do have regrets on some offers to buy I turned down though. :x
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Not really. I have lost a fair amount of money overall despite trying to stick to secondhand bought on here, but on the positive side I have sampled most types of watch and as a result have a much stronger feeling now for what I like which is classic style chronographs and subs, 40mm wide and 12mm to 14mm thick, brushed or blasted SS. Fundamentally I need something to fiddle with like a bezel/chrono or winding crown, I keep trying plain watches but I always get bored of them. I hope I don't repeat this pattern again.

There are watches I have sold that I have missed but in every case I was happier with the replacement.

One thing I would say that works is that whenever I get the urge to flip a watch I stick in the draw for a week or so before getting it out again. My Tutima Nato is a case in point, I have come close to listing that watch a good 1/2 dozen times and then every time I start wearing it again I can't but help feel what fantastic tool like bit of kit it is. Over the last year it has ended up getting rather a lot of wrist time so I would say look at those you don't wear first rather than looking at the one on the wrist and thinking, this or that annoys me so its time to get flipped.

Banned

My biggest Regret was handing over 7000 euro to a con artist called "Phonetrader" on TURF for the AP I had. I would love to meet this bloke in the flesh again :evil:

Master

Selling watches at a loss because I have seen something else I wanted. Don't want to think how much money I have squandered.

I know some of the members here keep spreadsheet files of what has come and gone, price bought and sold for etc. I should be more organised myself. I have kept a list of all the watches I have owned in the last few years, that's a bit scary too!

My wife forbids me from selling my (3rd) Rolex as she know the money would only get frittered away on other stuff.

Dave

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    I do have regrets on some offers to buy I turned down though. :x
    Tell me about it!
    That 168000 (my birth year as well!) on SC a few weeks ago. I want that so much. :(
    Was offered a Sinn 144 GMT (the Lufthansa one) and a Glashutte M12 Flieger in the last 2/3 weeks.
    Moving house and having to buy stuff is a shitter. :(

Don't think I've regretted selling anything, but then I haven't sold much! :D

I should regret selling this for £70 but the person I sold it to knew how to care for it so I'm content.

No is the simple matter.. if I did it's too late anyway :lol:

Regret some offers to buy that I stupidly have declined. :sad1:

Master

yes let this 6306 go :(

Journeyman

Yep, for sure! I really regret parting with my PAM161. I pre-bought a 161 GMT at the Panerai launch having handled the original prototype (it was supposed to have a RED second time zone indicator hand but got changed in production due to some legal wrangling with Rolex) and absolutely loved the watch when I finally got mine - it was in the very first production build. I have a PAM88 GMT at the moment but the thing that makes the 161 so desirable for me is... a) The Titanium & Steel bracelet, and b) the clean lines of the dial (no minute markers). One day I'll replace it!

I too have more regrets about watches i didnt buy but one i do regret selling was my Tag F1 chrono in red, for the reason that i bought it new myself and really did love it. Gave it away in the end and wish i hadnt.

Actually I do regret losing this watch somewhere :( - it was a great beater and took more than a few dunkings whilst I was capsizing my dinghy off of Hove. I might have even thrown it when the battery died...

Happily I have just replaced it for less than £7 from Amazon :) :) :) :) :)

No regrets anymore, gave up on regrets years ago.

I approach things differently now, now that i realise its just a constant cycle of buying and flipping.

Regrets would just make the whole thing painful.

Just enjoy it :)

Quote Originally Posted by kiki-picasso
    No regrets anymore, gave up on regrets years ago.

I approach things differently now, now that i realise its just a constant cycle of buying and flipping.

Regrets would just make the whole thing painful.

Just enjoy it :)
    I agree , although I sold this for £40 on ebay several years ago and instantly regretted it ....

But it passed and I just moved on to different watches that I like just as much if not more.
    David

No major regrets, nothing that I couldn't buy again put it that way :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by smersh
    do you have regrets
    regrets . . . I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention . . .

W

Quote Originally Posted by williec
    Quote Originally Posted by smersh
    do you have regrets
    regrets . . . I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention . . .

W
    Too many to mention in my case, but only two that I just "had to" replace with the same again.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Only one watch I felt I should have sold is IWC3706. Still missing