closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HAPPY BIRTHDAY - ROLEX IN THE HOUSE!

Banned

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY - ROLEX IN THE HOUSE!

Thanks!

Master

This is the inside caseback of my 1966 5513 that I posted earlier in the thread to say hello. It is the weird Rolex VI.66 mark which shows the 6th quarter of the year (VI), this is commonly thought to have been a mistake at Rolex I think and is quite a normal feature. Your 5512 might also say 5513 in the caseback but that is normal as well, as they used the same parts for these. Fortunately for me I am not really bothered about the birth year thing as I predate this watch. I am almost tempted to say "fancy a swap"!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS
    This is the inside caseback of my 1966 5513 that I posted earlier in the thread to say hello. It is the weird Rolex VI.66 mark which shows the 6th quarter of the year (VI), this is commonly thought to have been a mistake at Rolex I think and is quite a normal feature. Your 5512 might also say 5513 in the caseback but that is normal as well, as they used the same parts for these. Fortunately for me I am not really bothered about the birth year thing as I predate this watch. I am almost tempted to say "fancy a swap"!
    Thanks BRGS, but forget that swap :wink:

There are a number of experts, but there are a number of anomalies too.

For instance, how can you have a 6th Quarter? I always thought there are only 4 :?

I could research forever more and just the meters/feet first debate will show a different result every time, never mind the other elements, (such as 'wrong' case backs) etc.

I have today heard from JD and together with some great help from members, I am satisfied with the results of my 'fishing' for information.

It's my first vintage Rolex and over the space of a few days I became a little obsessed - What's that all about? So it's time to let the post slip away and for me to enjoy the watch for the next forty odd years too :D

Rolex vintage never dies. I should not have looked at this thread's pictures. Very harmful for my pocket :D

Master

Love it the dial and hands are stunning, adding so much character to the piece.
    Love it.
    Simon

This is the inside caseback of my 1966 5513 that I posted earlier in the thread to say hello. It is the weird Rolex VI.66 mark which shows the 6th quarter of the year (VI), this is commonly thought to have been a mistake at Rolex I think and is quite a normal feature.
    That's a new one on me. :shock:

Were there always six "quarters" in Rolex years or were they perhaps subdivided into two monthly sections?

I've only had I to IV.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

No it only occurs in 1966, there are no casebacks marked IV or even V (or none seen in the wild anyway). Educated opinion on the VRF is that is is bad typesetting for IV, there are many 1966's with this in the caseback also including Explorer.

No it only occurs in 1966, there are no casebacks marked IV or even V (or none seen in the wild anyway). Educated opinion on the VRF is that is is bad typesetting for IV, there are many 1966's with this in the caseback also including Explorer.
    It becomes clear now, especially there being no V's.

Thanks Jim, very educational.
    Cheers,
    Neil.