closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anybody else love their job?

Threaded View

Master
    Blog Entries

Anybody else love their job?

I qualified as a dentist from Bristol University in December 1985.

I started my working career in Bristol on 17th February 1986 & have been at the same practice ever since. I've never owned the practice & have seen it as strictly a 9-5 job plus the occasional emergency....Dentists aren't usually cut out to be businessmen.

Consequently I have loads of patients that I've known & looked after for more than 3 decades.

Here's a recent photo of me & the first patient that I saw at 9 o'clock on my first day as a wet behind the ears dentist. He is now aged 81, I bet you won't find many dentists who are still seeing their first ever patient nearly 38 years later

I have a great rapport & laugh with a lot of these patients & view them as my friends. I had one recently who broke my loupes because she hugged me too hard! My poor assistant must be fed up hearing the same stories & rants over & over again.

Not surprisingly this captive audience always agrees with my favourite rants....for example....The Tories.....Brexit....The NHS. They know which side their bread is buttered on.....my probe is very sharp!

Of late I've had a lot asking me "I hope you're not retiring yet because I couldn't see anybody else”....I must be looking old!

One day a week I teach the final year dental students at Bristol Dental School. That is greatly rewarding, not in monetary terms so much, but from the angle of passing on the practical knowledge I have learnt from nearly 40 years in the job. The feedback that I receive from them makes it all worthwhile. It's like 'passing the baton' in a relay race.

Not least it's a reason to get out of bed in the morning & maintain my mental health.

Who else loves their job?.........& what watch am I wearing?????????
    Last edited by trident-7; 14th October 2023 at 12:38.