closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Zulu Alpha Strap

Threaded View

Review: Zulu Alpha Strap

Review: Zulu Alpha Strap

Having recently reviewed the ZuluDiver “OctoPod” deployant clasp and straps we stay down at the bottom of the alphabet with another “Z” – Zulu Alpha Straps.

These are a very different proposition to the OctoPod, though. Like your mum, these straps are knocked up by a couple of ex-sailors in a shed in Liverpool. And like your mum they are rough, tough, pretty damn ugly. But I love ’em.

Each strap is made to order and apart from the famous Phoenix NATOs these are the only company I know who use British webbing. The nylon fabric is noticeably thicker than usual for NATOs but supple.

If the Octopod is a Porsche Cayenne then the Zulu Alpha is a . . . what? A Humvee maybe? Something big that will take a beating, that’s for sure. (The Phoenix would be a classic Series Land Rover, ex-MoD of course.)

Some adjectives: functional, utilitarian, basic, primitive. But very very robust. Not a strap to pair with a dress watch, that’s for sure.

The one pictured is described as “admiralty grey” but it’s not a flat, slate grey; it’s much more silvery – perhaps a slightly lighter, brighter gunmetal colour. At first I wasn’t sure about it but it’s grown on me.

I usually prefer heat-welding to sewn but in this case the stitching isn’t going anywhere. The whole ensemble looks indestructible, like it’s part of some MOLLE kit (a bergen or body armour, maybe?) In fact it has a slightly marine vibe going on – which is appropriate given that it’s made by some former Royal Navy chaps. (I think of one them is a member here?) You really feel like you could moor a battleship with this stuff. Think climbing equipment or something holding down an HGV’s tarpaulin.

The tri-glide buckle is ace: simply loosen it off enough to slip over your hand without undoing the whole thing completely; once it’s on just pull on the tail and it tightens up nicely. The only trouble with this is that you do get a long piece of excess strap, but the keeper has space enough for you to double it up and tuck it away, classic NATO style.

That metalware looks bulky, though, right? Wrong. It sits pretty low once it’s in place, although it’s never going to be a flat or sleek as clasp or pin buckle. Again: think heavy duty rather than aesthetically pleasing. But while it’s a triumph of function over form the whole ensemble is surprisingly ergonomic and very comfortable.

It’s not for everyone and it’s certainly not for every watch but if you want something handmade in the UK from British material AND you like the look then I can strongly recommend these straps.

Full disclosure: I have two of them which I bought and paid for in the usual way. No freebies, no discount.

Apologies for the poor pics but there are many better ones online, as well as videos showing how to thread the buckle etc.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Rev-O; 13th February 2023 at 17:17.