In the last couple of years I've become more and more questionable about charities and their impact on good causes. The streets are full of charity shops in every town and city you visit, TV and media is awash with adverts for "donate £2/month" and the vast number of people employed in this so called 'third sector' is astonishing, I believe there are almost a million people in the UK alone employed in charities. It's becoming a monster and the only lasting improvements I see come from government funded schemes as opposed to local charitable efforts.

I'm working with youth sports at the moment (coaching and mentoring) and I'm putting about 5hours a week into that which involves interactions with disadvantaged young lads. I now believe my time is far far more valuable than any monies I put in.

I'm cancelling 2 standing orders (to two large health charities) and I'm going to withdraw from donations for a year or so, I think I'm funding an industry as opposed to funding any good cause so I need to reconsider this.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar thoughts and came to any interesting conclusions ?