I've previously got down to a two watch collection; a Rolex Explorer and a GMT II and have found during lockdown that I just don't wear them enough to justify automatic movements.

That led me to conclude that with 95% of my current requirement being met with an Apple Watch, a hand winder might be the best long term companion.

I'd like to try out the idea before I consider selling my current pair and wonder what could fit? Steel case, no date and a leather strap rather than a bracelet are the only firm conclusions so far.

As it is being bought as a keeper and, theoretically at least my last watch, I'd prefer to buy new. That is because anticipation of the immediate depreciation has always given me more focus on getting it right. Budget is up to £4000 but I'd hope to get away with half that. Nomos Metro and and the basic hesalite previous generation Speedmaster Pro are early ideas.

I'm under a bit of pressure because of the preference for the last generation Speedmaster, they seem to be getting harder to find new. Any other suggestions for a short list?