I'm in my mid 40s and I started noticing high pitched tinnitus creeping up on me in my late 30s. It seems to be very very slowly getting worse and I now have high pitched tinnitus and intermittent low humming tinnutus when I'm in a very silent room. So 2 different types.

I have been assessed by an audiologist and I'm really surprised to hear how common this is and also how little treatment options there appear to be out there.

I used to think this was an artefact from my early career in Merchant Navy engine rooms and Steam Turbines in power stations but my hearing seems pretty good. The audiologist says my hearing is about 95% as good as it should be for my age and cant see or detect any damage in my ears.

The biggest problem for me is the distraction this presents. I'm a keen reader so these days when I'm reading the tinnitus sort of creeps up on me and I become distracted by it.

Can I ask ?

Has anyone been where I am and found some simple ways to reduce this or even cope a bit better with it ?

The audiologist described a thing called 'Linire' where you sort of suck on an electrode but that looks like a distraction to me rather than a management. The audiologist was also not convinced by the thing so I didn't look into it.

Any input welcomed here.