Ever since I was a young chap, and first got interested in watches, I was always drawn to chronographs, back then I could only afford cheaper watches, and gravitated towards sekonda, Tissot and some spurious brands I’ve long forgotten.

As my interest and knowledge grew, I ended up with Sinn, Certina, Heuer and Omega.

Some time ago I was lucky enough to be able to get what was to me the ultimate chronograph, the Daytona. Following on from that I’ve added a Monaco, a Speedmaster and last but not least a Zenith El Primero.

To me these are the most iconic chronographs I’d like to own, so I’m saying my chronic Chrono addiction is satisfied for now...

So what is it about these watches I find so alluring?. I’m not actually sure, but I think it’s to do with two elements, firstly the Chronograph itself, although rarely if ever used, I like the idea that a watch can do something other than tell the time, a Chrono can freeze time, and measure speed, there is something appealing about that.

Secondly it’s the names and the association with speed and motorsport, Daytona, Monaco, Speedmaster, Monza, Silverstone and Carerra, all evocative names, associated with speed, glamour and danger.

So onto the watches. In no particular order, and please excuse the dust and fingerprints, these watches are all worn on a regular basis.

The Zenith El Primero. 38mm
The newest edition, and to me a true re edition of the original.
Some lovely details on this watch, such as the polished sides, and satin lugs,
I also really like the little red details on the Chrono hands, it’s a great size for a smaller wrist, although it is on the thick side.
The crocodile strap, and deployant turn it from a sport watch into more of a dressy style, and both the clasp and the bracelet are a very high quality. I particularly like the machine marks on the bracelet butterfly clasp.
On top of all this we have the display back showing that beautifully finished el Primero movement.
Pushing the pushers, and seeing them actuate the arms inside the movement is mesmerising.

Next up the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, not a lot to be said that’s not been said before, mine is the plexi glass version, and again I can wear it on the bracelet or brown leather strap or nato....I’m not that keen on the nato.
I like the fact that the bracelet is mostly brush finished and therefore should be more durable than the Daytona or the very polished Zenith bracelet which in all honesty is a bit on the blingy side...
Back to the Speedmaster, for a large watch it wears well. I love hand winding it, as it’s the only hand wind in my collection. Something very satisfying about having to wind it to make it go.

Onto the Monaco. This is the Steve McQueen re edition with the calibre 17 movement.
I know many people have a bit of a downer on Tag but not me. I like the Heuer branding, and the pure heft of this watch, considering it’s the only one here not with a bracelet, I’d be surprised if it’s not the heaviest. It’s a big in your face watch, and I can appreciate that for what it is. I can imagine that in the 70’s it was probably a bit of a shock to see a watch of this size. Most men’s watches back then were around 34mm or less, this thing must have looked like a clock.
I like the finishing on the Heuer, there’s polished surfaces, brushed and satin, it also has a very thick crystal that looks like it can take a bash and keep on going..
Ok the movement is nothing special, and if I’m honest I’m not keen on the display back, it’s unnecessary and the original looked better with a solid case back.
In saying that, although it’s not a chronometer it’s just as accurate as my Daytona. So all in all it’s a good addition to my collection

The Daytona, much like the speedy, I can’t say anything about it that’s not been said many times, but I can tell you how I feel about it. I love this watch. For me it’s the perfect size, and the perfect thickness, in other words just right.
The fact that it’s a chronometer, and has a 70 hour power reserve is proof enough that it’s a step above the others when it comes to the build of this watch.
It’s a very tactile watch, the curves on the case and the rounded sides just look like pure class to me, in fact a bit like the Datejust case which again is a shape I like.
It’s the only one in my collection that was bought used, and had just come back from a Rolex service so was like new.
I’m glad I bought it when I did, and even then I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but now 5 years on it turns out it was a bargain.
I would only ever sell this watch if I could replace it with a ceramic, and that won’t happen anytime soon so it’s a keeper for now.

So to the main reason for this thread which was to share my thoughts on my chronographs.
I’m not knowledgable enough to discuss all the technical details of these watches, and if I’m honest I’m not that interested. For me it’s more about aesthetics, history and how they make me feel.
So let’s sort them out in order of preference

Best watch Daytona. It just is.

Favourite watch. Zenith. I love the history of zenith, and the little touches that show real attention to the smallest detail. It’s just a beautiful thing to behold.

Most useful. Heuer. It’s the most legible and easy to tell the time with.

Most iconic Has to be the Speedmaster, it’s history speaks for itself, and the fact it’s hardly changed from the original shows that omega got it right first time

But just to finish off my little chronograph ditty, here’s a spanner in the works..

The Heuer Monza. As I said above I’m. A Heuer fan, and the Monza is a fine watch with a lot going for it. Titanium so very light, cushion case so very comfortable, same calibre 17 movement as the Monaco so very accurate,
Much thinner than the Monaco which aids the wearability, and PVD coating making it very durable.

So that’s it, that’s my chronograph addiction explained..!!!!!