Looking for advice here or experience of similar nature...

The wifes car went into the main dealer for a basic service (oil and filters). Car does very very low mileage, less than 25k miles in 6 years of ownership. I normally just pop it in for standard service every 18months.
I wanted to keep the logbook stamped by main dealer as I reckon the car will hold some value as a low miler with full main dealer service history.

Anyway, this time the car was given a 'courtesy wash' and low and behold when I got the car back to the house I notice theres about 12 patches after appearing on the front bumper and bonnet where the lacquer has flaked off. The patches are elongated, most are about 3inch long and about 1/2inch wide like little jagged strips.

It looks bad. I photographed each of these immediately when I got home and complained to the dealership. I am certain someone went gung-ho with a power washer and caused this damage. I am 100% certain this is new damage and the flaked off areas are very 'fresh' in appearance.

I wanted this repaired but the main dealer is now saying that it is standard stone chip damage, was present before service and they are muddying the waters by saying the car was subject to a previous non main dealer repair which is just something random they have made up.

If the dispute continues and it looks like it will I think I will just go to the small claims route.

I reckon the bumper and bonnet need to be sanded & resprayed and I assume this is about £500 to £750 in value ?

My worry is that if it goes to small claims it will be my word against theirs and I'm not sure what happens then.

Any thoughts or advice ?