closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What are the signs of bigger watches "going out of style"?

Threaded View

What are the signs of bigger watches "going out of style"?

Yeah the age old big vs. small debate. Flame on.

What do you think it's the main reason that small watches have gone out of style? Rolex two-tone 36mm DateJust was probably their best seller for decades. Now they're dirt cheap in the preowned market (if you can ever call Rolex "cheap"). That styling doesn't "speak" to our generation.

Look at the vintage Seamasters. If it's a small dress watch it costs a few hundred pounds/Euros... but if it's one of those bulkier ones, you can add one digit more to the asking price. Look at Air-King and Precision prices. They're the cheapest pre-owned Rolexes you can buy. Vintage ExpI's are the exception to the rule (for whatever reason). All 40mm 5-digits are increasing rapidly... except for 16570... because it wears much smaller than the others (that's my guess).

Gold is out of fashion too and it has been like that since the early 2000's. I appreciate gold watches and love them... but I feel uncomfortable wearing them, especially with casual clothing.

Are the small watches unwearable because a lot of men these days go to the gym and generally have thicker wrists than men of yesterday?

Let's take the old Zenith Flyback Rainbow for example. The old model is gorgeous but a bit too small for me... but the new one is just plain overboard (imho). I'm a 6'3 man with thick wrists but I'd never consider wearing that one.

Since 2005 everybody has said that the bigger watch trend is going out of style. Is it really? What are the signs of that? Even manufacturers like Zenith make XXL watches now.

Last edited by JPE; 20th January 2019 at 22:13.