March this year we saw a very suitable base for a dirt road car; the Volvo badged 340 cvt which was developed by DAF as their new 77 in 1971.

40K original kms and free of rust. Not as surprising as it seems: This 1986 one was originally sold in Gernany in a program with 8 years warranty against rusting through and soon shipped to the Costa del Sol where is largely lived in a dry garage.
All documentation with it.

First the current project and 2016 though.

Late Oktober, the big one behind us we pursued the one we saw earlier and, not surprisingly, yes it was still available.

A deal was struck and my son and I had great fun driving the car back from Sevilla and my son baptized it 'Jolly Jumper'.

Today was the first opportunity to 'work' on it.
We stripped it from odd gadgetery like all sorts of dead angle mirrors, door edge protectors, door open reflectors, a plethora of stickers and a vintage pine smell thingamy dangling from the mirror and ... it is a good thing they don't make glue like that anymore.
We swapped the curb magnets for the originals steel wheels and took it out for a spin. Again great fun but it needs WAY more ground clearance.