closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Landmaster and a tale of two quests

Threaded View

Seiko Landmaster and a tale of two quests

A long time ago, I owned a titanium Citizen Eco-Drive watch, with 200m water resistance, one-piece Duratect titanium case, and 24-hour GMT function. I used it and loved it. Took it diving in the Maldives on honeymoon. Climbed mountains in it. Wore it to work. It was my only watch.

Then, after some years, the capacitor or internal battery no longer held a charge. I took it back to the shop, where I was informed that Citizen could repair it for the cost of a full service, which was close to the purchase price of a new one.

A somewhat bitter conversation followed where I may have mentioned that it is hardly 'eco' if it needs an expensive service to replace the capacitor or battery after a few years - might as well just buy a standard battery-powered watch which is cheaper and much less time consuming to maintain.

Well recently I rather missed its simple ruggedness and also the 24 hour hand. I owned a decent GMT Master 16753 which I loved but replaced (after experiencing servicing issues with Rolex) with a simple Orient Excursionist. Little wrong with that model, a bit large for me though, so it went.

I have been GMT-less for some while.

Thinking I ought to be able to find something similar to my original from Seiko or Citizen, I took a look. Surprisingly, not much available. The closest I found was an Attessa model, Duratect Titanium in a simple design with 24 hour hand. I almost bought it, but I noticed the strap attachment design seemed to preclude using "normal" straps, which made me pause. Lots of other choices were eliminated for being too big, too full of features I don't need, too expensive or too, well, naff.

If anyone has any ideas in this area, I'm still open to suggestions. In the meantime, wondering around Ginza, I pop into one of the many watch shops for a browse. Among all the Pateks, IWCs and APs I find ...

A Seiko Landmaster SBCW009 "Transpolar" Mint, full-length titanium bracelet, double-boxed with papers, tags and sales receipt from 1999.

Seiko will not only still service these, they do it for a reasonable price. A little less than 20,000 yen (125 pounds at current exchange rate) for a full Seiko service. This includes upgrading the movement if necessary, to the later version with a longer power reserve.

The Seiko Landmaster has a long history, including design input from adventurers such as Ken Noguchi and others. It has a loyal following but is somewhat overshadowed by the Marinemaster series online. This particular model was issued to commemorate Mitsuro Ohba's trans-polar (Siberia to Canada, over the North Pole) expedition in 1997, which he undertook solo.

Three previous attempts had failed. Ohba subsequently commented he felt lucky to have merely lost toes and fingers.

He wore a Landmaster during the trip.

Later he traversed the South Pole solo, again wearing a Landmaster, modified to have the 24 hour hand rotating anti-clockwise. This allowed him to navigate the same way as he did in the northern hemisphere. This watch was released as the SBCW023.

The blue dial on this Transpolar version features a map of the Artic with the North Pole at the centre and the departure (Cape Arktichesky) and arrival (Ellesmere Island) points noted in small yellow text. From a distance, these look like dial imperfections. From the photo, you can see that the text and markings are in fact, superbly executed.

The entire watch is matt titanium. Case (including case-back - it is all one piece), bezel and bracelet. The movement is kinetic, a fairly noisy rotor charging the internal battery, which powers a Quartz movement. The hour hand is independently adjustable in one hour steps forward or backwards, and the date follows this, forwards or backwards.

The 24 hour hand is slaved to the minute hand. As is usual with Landmasters, the bezel is a compass one, bi-directional. On this model, there is no ratchet. The bezel moves with the assured smoothness of a Leica lens barrel. A button at 2 o'clock shows how much charge is left.

As a simple, tested, rugged and reliable watch I am very happy with it.

My quest is thus complete. I give the final words to Ohba:

Three times I was defeated by nature trying to reach the Pole. I went feeling too sure of myself, and going to the North Pole with the attitude that “I can take on anything” is dangerous. I was lucky to only lose some fingers and toes.

Others have died.

When you fail three times, no matter how stupid you are, you realize that fear, humility and gratitude are important. After finally figuring that out, I was able to successfully complete my solo trek on the fourth attempt.

If I were to express in a few words what adventure has given me, it would be the simple realization of how wonderful it is just to be alive.

I have learned how precious life is, and how fleeting. On my treks I felt like I was living in the ice age, having arrived from the present. If I had to decide which time is better I would choose this one.

Living with others in harmony and friendship, and at the end, dying at home surrounded by the ones you love - I think that’s a good way to live.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 19th June 2021 at 16:48. Reason: images recovered