I apologise if this is a bit of 'steam of consciousness' post, but I want to know what likely issues I'm likely to come up against.
We need a new laptop at home, for storage of music, photos, also for the children to do their school homework.
We crrently have an almost-useless 100gb XP laptop, (too slow, almost full) backed up with a Seagate external hard drive, and pretty-much-useless Lenovo laptop, also backed up to an external hard drive, plus an iPad Air and two iPhones.
I really really don't want to use any more Windows things any more. I want to go to Apple, and my wife is of the opinion that whatever it costs, if it stops me ranting at the crapness, do it. So it has to be Apple.
I need a DVD/CD drive, because the children keep getting given CDs, and they have their own stereo, so whatever they have, I rip.
I want central wireless storage, so it doesn't slow the machine down. We don't watch much tv, but we have a Humax freesat box connected to the web.
My thinking is a 13" Macbook pro (non retina display, as these are the ones that come with an optical drive) with 1tb storage, with a 2tb Airport Time Machine.
So... questions (and if all the above makes me sound like I know what I'm doing, don't be fooled):

Will the Macbook (FAT or HFS+) read the Seagate hard drives (NTFS), so that the stuff on them can then be stored on the Time Machine? I know the Time machine doesn't do NTFS at all. Once I've got all the stuff moved, I can then reformat the hard drives to attach to the Time Machine as extra wireless storage... apparently.
Will the Time Machine function as a big central storage hub, accessible by the phones and the iPad (when in range) as well?
The Time Machine doesn't talk to Apple TV, either, which might have been an option for video etc. I know I can still get Apple tv, and have the laptop wirelessly attached to it, but I'm not really sure we'd use it.

Also, the Time Machine is a router as well, so do I attach it to the phone line... ? is it that simple?

Will the Apple versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint be sufficient?

Is it worth spending £100 on Apple one-to-one?

all comments gratefully received.

Paddy