Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
Without knowing the skills of both parties it is easy to jump to conclusions.

Luke is obviously well skilled in aspects of watch-making, as I can see by his blog. Paul has done some fine work, which I have seen from posts.

For me, I have no real need for a watchmaker for 99.99% of the time. What I need is someone who is skilled at servicing and refurbing watches - this just so happens to be the same person for a lot of the time.

I'd have no hesitation in sending either of the above one of my Omegas for a service, and I have no need of a WR rating of more than 50m - so 6 bar is all good with me. As long as it is always clear that I may not be using branded replacement parts - or a part has had to made specifically by the watchmaker for me - then all is good. At the end of the day, all we want is for our watches to look good and perform as they should - simples.

Another distinction to bear in mind is that there are good and bad individuals in every profession - I have come across incompetence at every level over the years, from Doctors, Dentist, to watch salesmen ;) it really doesn't matter how qualified, or how many qualifications someone has, or even how experienced they are - if they are not proficient and professional in what they do.
+1 I work with a number of highly qualified (not in horology) but stupid people.