timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,750 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Let us know your thoughts

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Been a huge fan for years. The 12yo is a regular in my rotation, the 18yo is certainly something special.

Grand Master
    looking forward to trying this three x 20cl box over xmas, never bought a Penderyn before. thought it was too good to pass up at this price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Penderyn-Si...484134&sr=8-11
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 2nd December 2021 at 23:35.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    looking forward to trying this three x 20cl box over xmas, never bought a Penderyn before. thought it was too good to pass up at this price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Penderyn-Si...484134&sr=8-11
    Legend is the only one worth drinking out of those three IMHO. I've bought them and the Maderia in the past and wouldn't touch Myth or Celt again.

YPMV (your palette may vary)

Agree with Jon, the Legend is one of my favourites but the rest are not worth bothering with.

I am looking for a whiskey glass for a Christmas present, my Facebook is constantly promoting the Nolan glasses, can anyone recommend a nice glass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I am looking for a whiskey glass for a Christmas present, my Facebook is constantly promoting the Nolan glasses, can anyone recommend a nice glass.

Thanks
    It's hard to go wrong with a Glencairn glass, if you want it to be a bit more special go for the crystal version. I use them most times and they have a lovely weight to them.

Last edited by DamianM; 3rd December 2021 at 17:54.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Legend is the only one worth drinking out of those three IMHO. I've bought them and the Maderia in the past and wouldn't touch Myth or Celt again.

YPMV (your palette may vary)
    I’ll report back after Xmas, swmbo has squirrelled them away somewhere. I’m hoping my huge hints for a bottle of either Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A’Bunadh for Xmas haven’t fallen on deaf ears but I bet they have!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks
    Get a good few Glencairns so you can do taste comparisons.
    I find the standard glass ones fancy enough! They're between 4-6 quid each depending on how many you buy.

Master

Thanks
    I’ve got loads of lead Crystal whiskey glasses most from charity shops or eBay most of the good company’s have gone bust but I think Scott Crystal is still going,plan on paying £50 for one good lead Crystal glass

Thanks
    My missus got me a pair of those "Norlan" glasses last year. They look great but they are too delicate. Both of mine were broken within a year. The glass is very delicate

Thanks guys for the tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've both Glencairn and Nolan as well as a couple of heavy based tumblers, the Gelcairns are the traditional vessel of choice though increasingly I find I'm using the Nolans. They do feel quite delicate and they're lighter than you think because they're hollow though because of their size they're easier and more natural to hold than the much smaller Glencairn. The Nolans aren't cheap though, mine were a gift, I'm not sure if I'd spend my own money on them.

I’ll report back after Xmas, swmbo has squirrelled them away somewhere. I’m hoping my huge hints for a bottle of either Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A’Bunadh for Xmas haven’t fallen on deaf ears but I bet they have!
    Have you tried the 105 before? I bought a bottle a few months ago, it's the only high abv whisky I have that I *must* add a few drops of water to.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Have you tried the 105 before? I bought a bottle a few months ago, it's the only high abv whisky I have that I *must* add a few drops of water to.
    i haven't, it seems to review well though and A'bunadh has shot up to a silly price so i thought it might be a good alternative. i'm also waiting until Amazon have the Glenfarclas 15 on offer again as i gather that's the pick of their standard range. was tempted by the 25YO when it was on offer but i keep reading it's a bit underpowered and underwhelming.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    I can vouch for the Glenfarclas 105 which a mate brought round a couple of wks ago, and we compared it to the 15...the 105 was definitely more flavoursome and deeper sherry taste, albeit it takes a few sips to get the pallete warmed up to the high AbV. The 15 was equally good, but interestingly you can taste a bit more earthy/dirt in the water. I found both to be excellent value for money whiskies, can't go wrong with either and definitely enough space for both in a collection.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

I've only had 3, maybe 4 measures from my 105. I try to not cast early judgement on a new to me whisky though my initial thoughts are that it burns like it's 80%! By comparison my Octomore 9.3 is 62.9% (105 is 60 IIRC) and is more palatable yet still retains some punch. I'm certainly not writing it off, maybe i need to start with a lower abv before moving on to the 105 as on the 2-3 occasions I've opened the bottle it was before anything else.

The 105 does have a following hence me giving a bottle a go, I've had maybe two 15s and enjoyed those.

I've only had 3, maybe 4 measures from my 105. I try to not cast early judgement on a new to me whisky though my initial thoughts are that it burns like it's 80%!
    The very same reason why I poured mine down the sink... and it was also the 1 litre bottle!

Cruelly struck by a sore throat, headache and cough this morning, and a lateral flow test being negative, I'm trying to ease the symptoms . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Cruelly struck by a sore throat, headache and cough this morning, and a lateral flow test being negative, I'm trying to ease the symptoms . . .

Similar, cracked open a new Bunah blue label

Need to try more but think Aaron 10 is nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post

Keep at it, perseverance is all !
    F.T.F.A.

Much prefer this blend to their new iteration - worth it if you manage to find a bottle hiding somewhere.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post

Aaron 10 is one of the best at that price point

BenRiach The Twelve. Currently £35.70 on Amazon.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better whisky at that price point. And it’s vGTG time tomorrow night!

^^^ looked at that and then noticed Bunna 12 is only £33, I'm yet to try a Bunna that I'd repeat buy so hoping the 12 will make amends.

It'll be accompanied by Port Charlotte's Heavily Peated 10, I couldn't have it travelling all on it's own...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The very same reason why I poured mine down the sink... and it was also the 1 litre bottle!
    Sacrilege! Even bad whisky has a place in coffee!

Everyone's tastes are different but I think 105 is fantastic... needs a drop of water but then most whiskies up at that strength do!

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    Sacrilege! Even bad whisky has a place in coffee!

Everyone's tastes are different but I think 105 is fantastic... needs a drop of water but then most whiskies up at that strength do!
    I had about 30 open bottles at the time, and there were 29 open bottles that I prefered to it. I was gearing up to move house (country), so that was another reason behind binning it.

Finishing my Willett this evening. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Finishing my Willett this evening. Have a good one.
    Ah! I’ve just taken delivery of a bottle largely thanks to James Stacey’s recommendation on TGN. Looking forward to my first taste over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This is great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-59673351

The bottles were all unopened.

He said: "I don't like whisky, it's horrible."

Treated myself to a few bottles for xmas.

Craftsman
    Ok, I’ve bought my first bottle of whiskey today .

Lindores Lowland single malt.

I had a long chat with the sales man and after describing more what I didn’t like he suggested this a good starting point.
    I’ve given it to the wife to give to me as a Christmas present so let’s see what’s it’s like in a few days.

Grand Master
    Lagavulin 8 year old £38 with Clubcard in Tesco, just snaffled one
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Bravo Sir. Not many things will get me to Tesco at this time of the night but cheap decent whisky will!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Bravo Sir. Not many things will get me to Tesco at this time of the night but cheap decent whisky will!
    It would be interesting to hear both of your thoughts on this. I tried young Lags during a tasting at the distillery and they were really quite offensive! Not ones I could return to for a bottle.

I saw that deal as well and promptly looked up reviews on MoM (for what they're worth), after which I decided to skip it. To be honest I've bought a good number of bottles this year despite stating earlier in the thread that I was going to attempt a period of abstinence so it's no bad thing I left it on the shelf anyway. Still very, very curious though, especially so as I only got myself my first ever 16 only a month or so back.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It would be interesting to hear both of your thoughts on this. I tried young Lags during a tasting at the distillery and they were really quite offensive! Not ones I could return to for a bottle.
    I shall crack it open during Thursday’s vGTG and let you know!

(I’ve had it before but can’t remember it…a sign that I liked it too much?!)

Grand Master
    Got an Amazon voucher gifted today so a Laphroaig Sherry Oak 10 year old is incoming, I can’t wait! Huge fan of the standard 10 ( wish they would bottle it at 48%)and the Quarter Cask, so intrigued to see how this compares
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I got this for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Cracking drop that Dalwhinnie. It's very much to my taste. I like a rich whisky. I think the extra few years does it a lot of good.

Just got this Cigar Malt from Tamdhu from the wife for Christmas.

Fire is roaring and I'm about to pour myself a large glass... and I may report back if I don't fall asleep on the couch first!

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/...dhu-cigar-malt

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I agree with this and would also like to hear the verdict. On Lagavulin I think the premium is worth it for the age, and would rather drink a young Laphroig or Caol Ila instead for the same money. £37 for Caol Ila 12 is way better imo.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    I agree with this and would also like to hear the verdict. On Lagavulin I think the premium is worth it for the age, and would rather drink a young Laphroig or Caol Ila instead for the same money. £37 for Caol Ila 12 is way better imo.
    I always have a Caol Ila in the cupboard, alongside Laphroaig. Today I have been gifted a Chivas Regal blending set, a Woodsman and a Glen Keith, and been drinking a hugely phelonic Finlaggen cask strength islay, massive waves of smoke very Caol Ila like but also hnts of Ardbeg about it. Young I suspect but very powerful if smoky peat is your thing!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Finally got my drinks collection in one place!

56 bottles in all, 40 of which are whisky. I'll be looking to see if there's anything interesting in the sales tonight and fancy getting in a couple more Islays I'm yet to try.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

56 bottles in all, 40 of which are whisky. I'll be looking to see if there's anything interesting in the sales tonight and fancy getting in a couple more Islays I'm yet to try.

Big fan of islay!

Craftsman

Looks awesome, well done...Islay forward there!

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Delighted with this years gifts.

Now that is incredible.

Craftsman
    I just received a bottle of Redbreast 12 which I’m looking forward to sampling later

Thanks for the comments, guys

Yeah, there are a few Islays there and one or two other peat-smoked whiskies, which is why I've just ordered two complete contrasts to the typical Islay despite saying an hour or two ago I'd add a couple more... I can't remember ever having a port cask spirit in the collection so there are two on the way, Tomatin's 14 (my first ever Tomatin, I think) and a GlenDronach, the 10 rather than the NAS.

Looking forward to trying them