timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,500 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomRea View Post
    As much as I love whiskey, I just can’t get on with anything peated. Redbreast 12 yr old for me later ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am a big malt hand and i 100% agree, peat and even smoke are big no no for my palate, which used to concern me but learned to live with it

Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    I am a big malt hand and i 100% agree, peat and even smoke are big no no for my palate, which used to concern me but learned to live with it
    I've found my taste has changed over the years - about 10 years or so ago used to absolutely detest anything remotely peated (or even hinted at it), but now it's a significant part of my bottle stash. I cannot abide the rubbery peated ones that I've found in several Taliskers and Bowmore, but other forms that are more wood smoke or medicinal I do. One distillery's peated is not necessarily anything like another's.

I say this as in case you have a bottle of peated stuff around, don't throw it! It might be worth revisiting over the years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Yay - another Indian whisky fan. I had a bottle of the Amrut Fusion, now on to Paul John Edited. My dad has a bottle of the Bold which I hope to sample

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How peaty is on the scale

Love a standard Buna Peat but laphroig tastes like TCP to me

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    How peaty is on the scale

Love a standard Buna Peat but laphroig tastes like TCP to me
    I'm not the one you're asking about this, but that's an example of the different distillerys' character and peating methods, rather than peat level. If you're referring to phenol PPM then that is quantifiable, however that's only in the grain itself rather than the spirit off the still, let alone the spirit in the bottle you drink.

Higher PPM is therefore no real indication of what it'll taste like to you, let alone me as someone with a different palate. Laphroaig 10 at ~45 PPM 'feels' far more peated to me than my Octomores which are in the 100-200 PPM range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm not the one you're asking about this, but that's an example of the different distillerys' character and peating methods, rather than peat level. If you're referring to phenol PPM then that is quantifiable, however that's only in the grain itself rather than the spirit off the still, let alone the spirit in the bottle you drink.

Higher PPM is therefore no real indication of what it'll taste like to you, let alone me as someone with a different palate. Laphroaig 10 at ~45 PPM 'feels' far more peated to me than my Octomores which are in the 100-200 PPM range.
    U WOT M8?

In all seriousness…. Thanks for the detail…. I just need to decipher it

So different whiskies taste entirely different to different pallets

And the TCP hit is actual phenol ? So is that Indian stuff lowers phenol PPM? More akin to the standard Buna level of phenol?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    U WOT M8?

In all seriousness…. Thanks for the detail…. I just need to decipher it

So different whiskies taste entirely different to different pallets

And the TCP hit is actual phenol ? So is that Indian stuff lowers phenol PPM? More akin to the standard Buna level of phenol?

Quite alright!

Different whiskies, like anything, can taste different to different people - it's why there's not really ever a wrong answer when someone says they taste X in a whisky and you don't. You will also find some things pleasant or unpleasant, that I may find repulsive or gorgeous respectively! Therefore, each person's feelings about the notes in whisky can differ greatly. It was just a word of caution about seeking someone else's grading on the peat level of the Amrut - to you it might be very peaty, to others, much less so.

Different phenols smell differently, and PPM level is no guide for this. All PPM is, is a count of the phenols in the grain before it even starts producing the spirit. That will not provide an indication of the type of taste it produces, e.g. bonfire, TCP, rubber, burnt meat fat etc. as that depends entirely on the way the barley has been peated. Each distillery has its own method for this - lots of distilleries use Port Ellen Maltings to do the peating of their malt, but they all taste very different due to the precise process they instruct Port Ellen to undertake. This can include the type of peat, the temperature, the length of time the barley is exposed to the peat smoke for etc. not to mention the way that spirit is then dealt with by the distilleries, in terms of what 'makes the cut'.

Also, I don't think phenols are detected by our senses in a linear way - just because one thing has a PPM of 40 and another of 80, does not mean the latter will taste twice as phenolic.

Blog Entries
    Quite alright!

Different whiskies, like anything, can taste different to different people - it's why there's not really ever a wrong answer when someone says they taste X in a whisky and you don't. You will also find some things pleasant or unpleasant, that I may find repulsive or gorgeous respectively! Therefore, each person's feelings about the notes in whisky can differ greatly. It was just a word of caution about seeking someone else's grading on the peat level of the Amrut - to you it might be very peaty, to others, much less so.

Different phenols smell differently, and PPM level is no guide for this. All PPM is, is a count of the phenols in the grain before it even starts producing the spirit. That will not provide an indication of the type of taste it produces, e.g. bonfire, TCP, rubber, burnt meat fat etc. as that depends entirely on the way the barley has been peated. Each distillery has its own method for this - lots of distilleries use Port Ellen Maltings to do the peating of their malt, but they all taste very different due to the precise process they instruct Port Ellen to undertake. This can include the type of peat, the temperature, the length of time the barley is exposed to the peat smoke for etc. not to mention the way that spirit is then dealt with by the distilleries, in terms of what 'makes the cut'.

Also, I don't think phenols are detected by our senses in a linear way - just because one thing has a PPM of 40 and another of 80, does not mean the latter will taste twice as phenolic.
    Well…. Every days a school day

Thank you for educating me!

The only way to work out if the Indian stuff is too peaty/ TCP is to try it I guess :-)

It was a specific recommendation for me earlier so is on ‘the list’

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Current selection, mostly still unopened. Think I need to drink a few before buying again!

Aberlour 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Bowmore no 1
    Bowmore 12 X 2
    Bunnhabhain Struiddar X 2
    Caol Ila 10
    Finlaggen Islay Cask Strength
    Glen Grant majors reserve
    Glenlivet Caribbean reserve
    Highland Park 12
    Highland Park Viking Tribe
    Jura Superstition
    Laphroaig 10
    Laphroaig quarter cask
    Talisker 10 x 2
    Talisker Skye
    Teachers (70’s bottling rescued from the parents house when clearing it)
    Jack Daniels no7

Whu....??????????

Two nips tonight! Started with a Bunnahabhain 12 and finished with Glenfarclas 15.
    Bunna definitely gets better once poured and left for a while. Been trying to put my finger on the flavour I'm getting from the Farclas, but nailed it tonight and it takes me back to childhood and my dads version of sasparella (spelling??) and the main ingredient, licorice stick. We used to chew them and i loved em.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Whu....??????????
    Didn’t drink much during lockdown, wanted to make sure I didn’t start to fall back on alcohol whilst on furlough, but did buy a few on deals
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Willett bourbon for me tonight. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Willett bourbon for me tonight. Have a good one.

That bottle looks huge (or your Seamaster has shrunk!)

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    That bottle looks huge (or your Seamaster has shrunk!)
    Certainly is, almost 2 litres!

Can’t resist an offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Can’t resist an offer!
    Just picked the same bottle! Looks like I need some direction to the offer. Amazon?

^Sainsburys

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    ^Sainsburys
    Cheers.

Craftsman
    Certainly is, almost 2 litres!
    Love it!

These are going to be fun. Bruichladdich/Port Charlotte/Octomore Fčis Ěle set.

This has to be the first time since brexit, that actually living in NI was a bonus. I only had to email ardbeg to place an order for this one. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    This has to be the first time since brexit, that actually living in NI was a bonus. I only had to email ardbeg to place an order for this one. Looking forward to trying it tonight.
    Ooohhh let us know what it's like...I haven't had chance to open mine yet

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Ooohhh let us know what it's like...I haven't had chance to open mine yet

Will do

This is the first Ardbeg I've actually been impressed by. A truly wonderful nose of a damp dunnage warehouse, elements of soot from an old coal house and ripe tropical fruits. A rich oily mouth feel with favours of a thick meaty gravy, bbq burnt ends topped with grilled pineapple. Initially a slightly dry finish that strangely becomes mouthwatering again with hints of tar and bitter dark chocolate, that lingers on for some time.

This is without doubt my favourite ardbeg so far and probably my favourite peated whisky of all time, putting the connemara 22yr into 2nd place.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    This is the first Ardbeg I've actually been impressed by. A truly wonderful nose of a damp dunnage warehouse, elements of soot from an old coal house and ripe tropical fruits. A rich oily mouth feel with favours of a thick meaty gravy, bbq burnt ends topped with grilled pineapple. Initially a slightly dry finish that strangely becomes mouthwatering again with hints of tar and bitter dark chocolate, that lingers on for some time.

This is without doubt my favourite ardbeg so far and probably my favourite peated whisky of all time, putting the connemara 22yr into 2nd place.
    Have you had the Uigeadail? Nothing tops that from Ardbeg imo.

I quite enjoyed last years Blaaaaaack though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post

Agreed - nothing better than their Uig!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post

I have and still prefer the scorch to it.

Just checked my list of bottles I've tried and have the Uigeadail down as a maybe for re-purchase. The scorch for me would be a definite yes.

Have a good evening.

Craftsman
    Did a Douglas Laing "exceptional regional malts" tasting a couple of wks ago - you might have heard of the Epicurean, Timorous Beastie, Scallywag and Big Peat, etc...well they are bringing out some limited edition bottles, high strength and cask strength versions...they are all fantastic and in my opinion very high quality blends, where you are getting excellent value for money.

The Timorous Beastie "meet the beast" and Big Peat "peatrichor" are now out and I'd highly recommended them at Ł46-ish... if you can still get them! Keenly awaiting that release of the other two bottles - the Scallwag "chocolate" and Epicurean "ruby port cask"

Also got a "night with GlenAllachie" tasting coming up this week (from House of Malt). Only ever had their regular 12yrs, which I thought was very solid, and never had a Rioja or Sauternes cask finish whisky...so really looking forward to that.

Any other recommendations for weird and wonderful stuff, please do share!

Grand Master
    the wife left me unsupervised near a whisky shop....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Had enough confidence to book the ferry to Islay in July today. Just five days, and none of the distilleries are even open for tours yet, but keeping an eye open every day for when they allow bookings.

We were going to get a couple of rounds of golf in, but I've just seen the course has been refurbed since I last went, and it's now Ł130 a round! Hilarious. I've played the Belfry for less, including bed & breakfast!

Bought a bottle of Tobermory to take with - just to balance out all the heavily peated stuff we'll be sampling.

Looking forward to it - should be a nice relaxing lad's break.

Is it just the tours that aren't on yet or are the distillery bars closed as well? Should be a great break whatever, where on the island are you staying?

I may be back out there in a couple of years with a few friends to celebrate our respective 50th's, preliminary discussions have already started. Not sure yet if we'll go there with a day or two in Glasgow or visit some Speyside distilleries (just about the only part of mainland Scotland I haven't been to) with Edinburgh. Plenty of time to decide though I'm favouring Islay.

I thought I'd posted this before however it looks like I hadn't...

Had another virtual blind session a couple of weeks or so ago, same as before where we'd each supply two bottles to every other participant without them knowing what was in each bottle until it was drunk. They were all supposed to be whisky though someone slipped a bourbon in and it was the American Eagle 12 that was voted favourite of the night!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Had enough confidence to book the ferry to Islay in July today. Just five days, and none of the distilleries are even open for tours yet, but keeping an eye open every day for when they allow bookings.

We were going to get a couple of rounds of golf in, but I've just seen the course has been refurbed since I last went, and it's now Ł130 a round! Hilarious. I've played the Belfry for less, including bed & breakfast!

Bought a bottle of Tobermory to take with - just to balance out all the heavily peated stuff we'll be sampling.

Looking forward to it - should be a nice relaxing lad's break.
    Should be a good trip
    To be fair Machrie golf course is good but Ł130 is steep.
    The Machrie hotel is pretty upmarket now so not sure if you could tie in a stay there with golf included.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Is it just the tours that aren't on yet or are the distillery bars closed as well? Should be a great break whatever, where on the island are you staying?
    I think the bars are open (which is my brother's main concern), so that should be ok. I was hoping to tour some of the places I've not made it to yet - Bruichladdich and Bunnabhain being the main two.

We're staying in a cottage near Bowmore, so walkable to a couple of pubs, which should be nice.

Talisker 10 is now Ł30 on Amazon. Recommended (and with new branding).

Cheers all.

Prices for good malts plummeted due (to my mind) to pubs being closed and exports to USA attracting severe import tarrifs.

I thought the prices would have gone up by now (as I believe the tarrifs have been lifted and pub orders must be recommencing?)

Anyone know/got other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Prices for good malts plummeted due (to my mind) to pubs being closed and exports to USA attracting severe import tarrifs.

I thought the prices would have gone up by now (as I believe the tarrifs have been lifted and pub orders must be recommencing?)

Anyone know/got other thoughts?
    Everything I've bought has only increased in price over lockdown!

This tonight

Round 2

Round 2

Excellent choice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    This tonight

What’s that like?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Excellent choice!

- - - Updated - - -

What’s that like?
    Really appeals to my palate. Spicey,peppery sweet goodness. Very fruity, you can tell there has been a different cask used to the run of the mill. Funnily though didn't enjoy the sovereign one bit

These are going to be fun. Bruichladdich/Port Charlotte/Octomore Fčis Ěle set.

Fčis Ěle tasting now on, for anyone interested.

Interestingly, none of what is being tasted is being sold other than in the tasting sets. A shame, as I've found a gorgeous one, but it's just not for sale! Interesting approach by them, and also rather good as they're not just using these tastings to sell bottles sitting in stock.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 30th May 2021 at 15:17.

Fčis Ěle tasting now on, for anyone interested.

Interestingly, none of what is being tasted is being sold other than in the tasting sets. A shame, as I've found a gorgeous one, but it's just not for sale! Interesting approach by them, and also rather good as they're not just using these tastings to sell bottles sitting in stock.
    Which one? I have several bottles of Cask Strength Bruichladdich which was bottled at 8yrs old, and was I believe one of the final casks sold which were finished and bottled by Jim McEwan (the 'Malt Whisperer') last year. The bottles are shown earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Which one? I have several bottles of Cask Strength Bruichladdich which was bottled at 8yrs old, and was I believe one of the final casks sold which were finished and bottled by Jim McEwan (the 'Malt Whisperer') last year. The bottles are shown earlier in this thread.
    There were 6, all refill bourbon cask, cask strength Bruichladdich (I was told they'd include Port Charlotte and Octomore, but that wasn't the case)

1st 2003 17yr old organic barley 57.1%
    2nd 2004 16yr old organic Islay barley 58.4%
    3rd 2009 12yr old Orkney Bere barley 59.8%
    4th 2011 10yr old biodynamic Wiltshire barley 60.9%
    5th 2014 7yr old Black Isle barley 61.5%
    6th 2006 15yr old triple distilled 69.3%

Standouts were 5 and 6. 6 mainly because of the novelty of that strength in something so extremely approachable and delicious with such clean, distinct flavours. 5 because of how incredibly floral it was.

Blog Entries
    I like a rye - so I've just ordered this ...

Should be interesting...

z

Tonight's dram will be this rather lovely 18 yr old teeling.

nice. Never really been in to Irish whisky but only because there are to many Scotch to try
    Currently trying a "long" whisky. Glenmorangie, bitters, coke and ice. Not really my usual but when in Rome and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    nice. Never really been in to Irish whisky but only because there are to many Scotch to try
    Currently trying a "long" whisky. Glenmorangie, bitters, coke and ice. Not really my usual but when in Rome and all that?

Your missing out on a whole load of cracking ones, fair share of rubbish too but all regions have that.

The next one on the journey