closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 63 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Grand Master
    personally i think Laphroaig 10 has been toned down over the last few years, not quite the huge phenolic punch it used to have though it is still there. the Select however seems to lose the distillery character almost totally to me, small wonder it's often discounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Happy birthday Kirk??? (Balloons )

I got given a bottle of that from a mate who went tea total (not nearly as much fun as he used to be)…. I became accustomed to the TCP after taste after a while

Maybe my palate isn’t sophisticated enough?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Just taken delivery of a bottle of Talisker 10yr. Not had one for a couple of years and it’s as wonderful as I remember if not more so compared to the Skye and Storm versions I tried.
    Probably my favourite and a great price, £30 delivered from Amazon.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    personally i think Laphroaig 10 has been toned down over the last few years, not quite the huge phenolic punch it used to have though it is still there. the Select however seems to lose the distillery character almost totally to me, small wonder it's often discounted.
    The CS has more of a focus for them these days but the price difference for most people means it can't be a daily drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Just taken delivery of a bottle of Talisker 10yr. Not had one for a couple of years and it’s as wonderful as I remember if not more so compared to the Skye and Storm versions I tried.
    Probably my favourite and a great price, £30 delivered from Amazon.

Cheers
    Neil
    I reckon they've put out those NDEs just so we realise how good the 10YO actually is!

Journeyman
    I got this as a present from the Mrs for my Xmas this year.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-152903-152904

Selected myself, I wanted to try a whisky that has no artificial colourings added.

Looking forward to sipping this Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    I got this as a present from the Mrs for my Xmas this year.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-152903-152904

Selected myself, I wanted to try a whisky that has no artificial colourings added.

Looking forward to sipping this Christmas
    That's a nice tipple. I'm halfway down a bottle currently.
    A good first step to move gently away from Sherry aged Speysides.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    That's a nice tipple. I'm halfway down a bottle currently.
    A good first step to move gently away from Sherry aged Speysides.
    Can I ask you for your opinion on it?

I have the glenfiddich 12 and 15 yo from speyside, I also have some Arran bottles and a Laphoraig amongst others

Now this is an interesting experiment:

The verdict? Both are truly excellent for the price. The QC makes the 10 year old taste like a session whisky. That is not necessarily a bad thing!

I haven’t got my pipette out yet.

Master
    Santa brought me these two today.

Cheers
    Neil

Santa brought me these two today.
    What do you reckon to the Smokehead? I fancy it (peaty/smoky malts are my thing) but it's not properly aged and I've heard conflicting reviews of it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    What do you reckon to the Smokehead? I fancy it (peaty/smoky malts are my thing) but it's not properly aged and I've heard conflicting reviews of it.

Will let you know tomorrow when I open it .

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 25th December 2020 at 23:28.

I tried it before really going down the whisky rabbit hole, and on the nose got new rubber tyres, the bitter end of salted very burnt lamb fat and skin, and fermenting hay. Taste-wise, it was a little one dimensional as a rather peaty thin whisky, but it worked well accompanying a lager and burger! As you can tell, it therefore wasn't really a 'proper' tasting, and also was in a normal tumbler.

Rumor has it it's a young Ardbeg, but I wouldn't have known from tasting it.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th December 2020 at 01:48.

Santa has also been nice to me!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I tried it before really going down the whisky rabbit hole, and on the nose got new rubber tyres, the bitter end of salted very burnt lamb fat and skin, and fermenting hay. Taste-wise, it was a little one dimensional as a rather peaty thin whisky, but it worked well accompanying a lager and burger! As you can tell, it therefore wasn't really a 'proper' tasting, and also was in a normal tumbler.

Thanks! On that basis I think I'll give it a miss. Enjoyed a couple of drams of Laphroaig last night, for me that sets the bar for a smoky malt. Oban is also very nice and rounded if you get xhance to sample it.

Craftsman
    Attachment 18616

Didn’t realise Sweden made whiskey

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    Attachment 18616

Didn’t realise Sweden made whiskey

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Not a fan, awaits Kirks ‘pear drops’ comments :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Santa has also been nice to me!

Very nice indeed!

Two additions for me on Christmas Day.

Tomatin 12 - Tried last night, pretty decent if not a little sweet for my usual tastes.

Also, a Bourbon related gift from my best pal and forum member Kippax (Wes).

Willet Reserve - Unbelievable bottle, pouring it will be interesting!! Although my good lady has asked to to hurry up with this one, she wants to use it as a candle stand! At 1.75 ltrs and 47% ABV. It may take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Not a fan, awaits Kirks ‘pear drops’ comments :)
    It’s “The Mack” version that tastes like pear drops. Not nice (unless you like pear drops I suppose!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    It’s “The Mack” version that tastes like pear drops. Not nice (unless you like pear drops I suppose!)
    Not a fan either - I got a bottle from Stocholm airport a few years back, haven’t tried it in recent years, hopefully it will have improved!

Grand Master
    The cupboard has gained a Bushmills 16 and 21 but The Crockett Legacy failed to materialise!
    RIAC

Master
    Thanks! On that basis I think I'll give it a miss. Enjoyed a couple of drams of Laphroaig last night, for me that sets the bar for a smoky malt. Oban is also very nice and rounded if you get xhance to sample it.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Well I opened the Smokehead this afternoon whilst watching aptly the original classic film, Whisky Galore!
    Tastes great to my palette, large dollops of smoke and peat but with a very long satisfying sweet finish. Bought a bottle for my brother also for Christmas and his comment was “Like sticking my head in a bonfire and breathing in deeply.” He’s a big fan of Islay malts and loved it.

Cheers
    Neil

One of the roughest drops I have ever had! Like paint stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Like paint stripper.
    My dad would love this then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I opened the Smokehead this afternoon whilst watching aptly the original classic film, Whisky Galore!
    Tastes great to my palette, large dollops of smoke and peat but with a very long satisfying sweet finish. Bought a bottle for my brother also for Christmas and his comment was “Like sticking my head in a bonfire and breathing in deeply.” He’s a big fan of Islay malts and loved it.

Cheers
    Neil
    It's worth noting that the burnt meat fat smell was not a negative comment on my part! Some Port Charlotte and Octomore offerings feature it even more heavily, hence why I have a few of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Now this is an interesting experiment:

The verdict? Both are truly excellent for the price. The QC makes the 10 year old taste like a session whisky. That is not necessarily a bad thing!

I haven’t got my pipette out yet.
    The QC is truly excellent and a lesson I how to make peat work well. The 10 year old is like inhaling burning cow dung. No competition, I'm afraid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    The QC is truly excellent and a lesson I how to make peat work well. The 10 year old is like inhaling burning cow dung. No competition, I'm afraid.
    Is it that different from the 10 yr old ?
    I give Laphroaig away when I get given it as I can't go the medicinal taste.
    Interesting if the QC is so much different.

Odd that, I love the 10yr old Laphroaig! Can't get enough of that smokiness!

I used to like the 10 year old. I suspect my tastes may have softened

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Is it that different from the 10 yr old ?
    I give Laphroaig away when I get given it as I can't go the medicinal taste.
    Interesting if the QC is so much different.
    The QC is a belter. I’ve only had a miniature of the Lore but that was exceptional.

Master
    I rejoined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society for Christmas, with an offer to send a mystery bottle, which turned out to be this single cask Caol Ila. I don’t usually go for peaty, but this has changed my mind. It’s like diving into a rock pool and discovering a secret tunnel to Santa’s grotto, with candy canes, liquorice, butterscotch sweets and all things nice appearing after the initial peat and saltiness. The description makes it sound a bit challenging but I’m a convert, it’s superb.

(NB - I wouldn’t assume they’d send the same thing if you use the same offer)
    Last edited by Itsguy; 26th December 2020 at 19:44.

Blog Entries
    Buna Moine for Xmas…. The right side of peety- entirely delicious 🤤

Tried some Glenfarcas 21 yesterday- oh my word!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I rejoined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society for Christmas, with an offer to send a mystery bottle, which turned out to be this single cask Caol Ila. I don’t usually go for peaty, but this has changed my mind. It’s like diving into a rock pool and discovering a secret tunnel to Santa’s grotto, with candy canes, liquorice, butterscotch sweets and all things nice appearing after the initial peat and saltiness. The description makes it sound a bit challenging but I’m a convert, it’s superb.

(NB - I wouldn’t assume they’d send the same thing if you use the same offer)
    Caol Ila is my limit on the peat front and enjoy it when in the mood.
    Lagavulin and Laphroaig are beyond me.

When we're able the guys that I've been having virtual drinks with and I are going to hold a proper get together and we've already discussed the idea of having an Islay/smoked only theme. I've a Laph 10, QC and Triple Wood amongst other peat smoked whiskies though I have never back-to-backed all 3, only the 10 and QC of which both I and a friend of mine put the 10 marginally ahead - that was a couple of years ago so another b-2-b is due.

Not tonight though, and this is my first whisky of the festive period. It was an IPA, white wine and a couple of Cointreaus yesterday (the latter is a bit of a tradition for me on Xmas day) however for this evening it will be Benriach's 21.

Ben21

Buna Moine for Xmas…. The right side of peety- entirely delicious 襤

Tried some Glenfarcas 21 yesterday- oh my word!!!!
    I haven't opened my Moine yet though sampled the Glenfarclas 21 in Glasgow last year. If you like that, and I love it, then try GlenDronach's 18 - I think it's even better.

Glen21

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I haven't opened my Moine yet though sampled the Glenfarclas 21 in Glasgow last year. If you like that, and I love it, then try GlenDronach's 18 - I think it's even better.

Glen21
    Are you in The Pot Still?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Are you in The Pot Still?
    Right now? I wish!

Yup, that was taken at the Pot Still. I so desperately want to take a few drinking buddies up there!

Master
    My brother-in-law bought me a bottle of Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie for Christmas. Lovely!

Blog Entries

Glen21
    Top tip!

Noticed they had the 25 at Costco for £99….

I thought the 21 was stunning will research the 18 GlenDronach you suggest! What’s the 15 / 12 like by the way - there’s quite a price difference
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th December 2020 at 22:25.

Master
    Right now? I wish!

Yup, that was taken at the Pot Still. I so desperately want to take a few drinking buddies up there!
    A fantastic bar

This was an interesting experience; quite a few added to my wish list and one ordered already. Probably more than I’d usually drink in a month!

Out of them all there was only a few that I wasn’t keen on and I got some good learnings about what I do and don’t like.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I first tasted Caol Ila in the Hebridean on Skye, probably over 35yrs ago now. It's been my favourite over all others ever since, although I do of course enjoy many, many more! I've a couple of glasses of Laphroaig Quarter Cask left for this evening, then on to pastures new.
    F.T.F.A.

Top tip!

I thought the 21 was stunning will research the 18 GlenDronach you suggest! What’s the 15 / 12 like by the way - there’s quite a price difference
    I've never tried the 12 though I have had a couple of bottles of the 15 and find it pretty much as many on-line tasting notes have it, that's to say dried fruits, orange zest and Christmas spices. If you like sherried whiskies I'd recommend it for the price.

Top tip!

This was mis-priced in our local Majestic at £70 for about 2 days. I think my "bloody hell, that's cheap" gave the game away as a snatched one!

Currently enjoying another bottle of The Sexton. This one seems to have more of an apple overtone to it, might be my imagination. Alex Thomas is to be commended for this fine effort at a modest price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I first tasted Caol Ila in the Hebridean on Skye, probably over 35yrs ago now. It's been my favourite over all others ever since, although I do of course enjoy many, many more! I've a couple of glasses of Laphroaig Quarter Cask left for this evening, then on to pastures new.
    Excellent! It’s great to discover a new favourite, and to hear that it’s an old favourite too.

An exceptional dram:

About to crack this open

That Yamazaki is a corker! Had a bottle a while back.

Tonight I’m on the Aberlour 12. Much like the Seiko SRPC49K1 it’s cheap, good quality and just works.

Got a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 for Christmas. Very tasty.