closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 4127

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You know - 8 years is quite a long time, and back then - it seemed like a good idea to be in a private 6-person syndicate for some good whisky.....................

Now bottled and told: "Your 42 bottles are at my house, when you are ready to collect them"

The Dalmore gets bottled next year.
    Brilliant! Great fun!
    We had 3 casks a while back. ISTR we paid about £800 per cask?
    Surrendered 66% to distillery to cover excise, bottling and delivery.
    They were all bottled 5 years ago.
    We went to visit it every year on the bikes, stayed at Port Charlotte.
    Unfortunately Bruichladdich doesn't do whisky futures (casks) anymore.
    Enquired at Ardnahoe in March....they DO do them...but did the maths...£12k !!

Craftsman
    House of Malt have a sale on the Glenfarclas core range, including the older malts and the 105 cask strength...the 21yrs for £78, I thought must be of good value - can anyone vouch for it?

https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/produc...e-malt-whisky/

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

A new arrival today.

I'm in two minds about whether to post this - I need to let everyone know how unbelievably good this is, but I've also heard that it was a limited edition and therefore bottles will be hard to get hold of, and it's a few weeks until payday until I can buy any more:

For those who don't know, Bunnahabhain (pronounced approximately "Bune-ah-vain") is one of the milder Islay distilleries, whose normal output only hints at a tiny amount of smoke, thin maltiness and a touch of peat. This Moine expression just dials all of those up a tad - not to the level of a Laphraiog or Lagavulin, but just to bring a fabulously balanced palate. In a blind tasting I'd say it would have been over £100 a bottle. It's currently on Amazon for £35. Unbelievable value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Brilliant! Great fun!
    We had 3 casks a while back. ISTR we paid about £800 per cask?
    Surrendered 66% to distillery to cover excise, bottling and delivery.
    They were all bottled 5 years ago.
    We went to visit it every year on the bikes, stayed at Port Charlotte.
    Unfortunately Bruichladdich doesn't do whisky futures (casks) anymore.
    Enquired at Ardnahoe in March....they DO do them...but did the maths...£12k !!
    I believe ours was just about the last cask they sold at fill, and it is a fantastic bottling.

Will start selling bottles before Christmas.

Just done click and collect on a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 from House of malt. Looking forward to this and to comparing with the Benriach 12.
    Bottle appears to be brown??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Just done click and collect on a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 from House of malt. Looking forward to this and to comparing with the Benriach 12.

Had the same one arrive today also, look forward to trying it later in the week.

Need to get a bottle of the new BenRiach 12 also soon ..had the original several years ago and remember being very impressed! What do you make of it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post

Just finished a bottle of 25yo, how does this compare?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I'm in two minds about whether to post this - I need to let everyone know how unbelievably good this is, but I've also heard that it was a limited edition and therefore bottles will be hard to get hold of, and it's a few weeks until payday until I can buy any more:

For those who don't know, Bunnahabhain (pronounced approximately "Bune-ah-vain") is one of the milder Islay distilleries, whose normal output only hints at a tiny amount of smoke, thin maltiness and a touch of peat. This Moine expression just dials all of those up a tad - not to the level of a Laphraiog or Lagavulin, but just to bring a fabulously balanced palate. In a blind tasting I'd say it would have been over £100 a bottle. It's currently on Amazon for £35. Unbelievable value.
    Ta - ordered!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Just finished a bottle of 25yo, how does this compare?
    15 and 25 are the best of the core range, I don’t like the 21 at all

Master

Bunna is awesome. Pronunciation is a bit more “Boon-a-ha-vain” 😉 just bought the new 30 yo 🤩

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Ta - ordered!
    How do you like the Redbreast? I love that whisky, it’s almost like it’s brandy but not quite. Great for this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    How do you like the Redbreast? I love that whisky, it’s almost like it’s brandy but not quite. Great for this time of the year.

Do you mean, how did I like it? Hic.

Initially I wasn’t impressed, but it grew on me once I stopped comparing it to scotch. It was very fruity and quite a different drink. It was very pleasant for a change.

I finished off a Bunna yesterday when I poured the next bottles for another blind session Friday week, I've just ordered a bottle of Moine under the one in, one out ruling...

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Had the same one arrive today also, look forward to trying it later in the week.

Need to get a bottle of the new BenRiach 12 also soon ..had the original several years ago and remember being very impressed! What do you make of it?

The bottle I have is one of the last originals. Bloody love it, one of my all time favourites. Not tried the newer one but have heard good things.
    Never tried any Glenfarclas so going in on reccomendations but looking forward to trying!

Do you mean, how did I like it? Hic.

Initially I wasn’t impressed, but it grew on me once I stopped comparing it to scotch. It was very fruity and quite a different drink. It was very pleasant for a change.
    Ha!
    First time I tried it, it was after a glass of Ardbeg 10yo and it almost felt like a chaser. Very easy to drink and for me one of the nicest Irish whiskeys I’ve had.

Grand Master
    Just had a Redbreast 21 to end the day.

So smooth and wonderful
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just had a Redbreast 21 to end the day.

So smooth and wonderful
    Haven’t tried that. Is it as good as the 15?

Grand Master

Whiskey

Haven’t tried that. Is it as good as the 15?

I personally think its got quite an edge to it worth the additional cost. Bit like the Bushmills 21 thats just a treat and a half over the 16yr old
    RIAC

The redbreast 21 is my no1 currently available Irish Whiskey, the Bushmills 21 is a close 2nd.

The Bushmills 16 used to be fantastic and for me was probably 90% of the 21 but the recent bottle I opened is a shadow of its former self.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    The redbreast 21 is my no1 currently available Irish Whiskey, the Bushmills 21 is a close 2nd.

The Bushmills 16 used to be fantastic and for me was probably 90% of the 21 but the recent bottle I opened is a shadow of its former self.
    Interesting. I must try the Bushmills 21 then.

Interesting. I must try the Bushmills 21 then.

I finished a bottle of the bushmills 21 on Sunday evening and it tasted just as good as when I opened it on boxing day last yr.

Another decent deal from House of Malt

I tried this whisky at last night’s vGTG.

I think I love you.

I tried this whisky at last night’s vGTG.

I think I love you.
    Haha, glad to see someone agrees with me.

It was my brother who got me a bottle. He phoned me at about midnight a few weeks ago just to tell me he'd found his favourite whisky in the whole World, and he'd get me one for my birthday.

Haha, glad to see someone agrees with me.

It was my brother who got me a bottle. He phoned me at about midnight a few weeks ago just to tell me he'd found his favourite whisky in the whole World, and he'd get me one for my birthday.
    I've ordered a bottle now too; for £35 it would be rude not too! As a NAS I wouldn't expect this to be a limited edition, although some of the other Moine range do appear to be and I can only seem to find this on Amazon so perhaps it will be. Either way as long as it is good to drink, I'll be happy :) It'll join a repository of bottles waiting to be opened though. It's not often people have new years resolutions to drink more, but I may need to in order to catch up!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    ...It's not often people have new years resolutions to drink more, but I may need to in order to catch up!
    The most palatable resolution is to drink less but of greater quality and more frequently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Tamdhu12 or glengoyne 12 are both easy drinking, my preference of the 2 would be the tamdhu, very smooth

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the heads up on the Tamdhu - entirely delicious and entirely my taste!

If you have any other recommendations I am all ears!!!

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I've found this information online...

''Bunnahabhain is the only distillery on the island to use pure, spring water. ''

What does that mean? What do others use then?

Picked up a couple as well...thanks. Will be interested to compare this to the 12 YO.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    - - - Updated - - -

Ooooh! Just dropped a big hint to my wife for Xmas (pasted the link in a WhatsApp to be sure!!!)

Love Bunna!

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I've found this information online...

''Bunnahabhain is the only distillery on the island to use pure, spring water. ''

What does that mean? What do others use then?
    From memory - and it was a few years ago that I last did the tour, they use pure spring water for distilling and to bring the distillate down to "cask strength". Bottling is onshore - Deanston /Distell, and so will just use de-ionised water... probably. What I can't tell you is which part is unusual - I think it's the latter - i.e. there's some local spring water used to bring it down to 64% or whatever they are using.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    From memory - and it was a few years ago that I last did the tour, they use pure spring water for distilling and to bring the distillate down to "cask strength". Bottling is onshore - Deanston /Distell, and so will just use de-ionised water... probably. What I can't tell you is which part is unusual - I think it's the latter - i.e. there's some local spring water used to bring it down to 64% or whatever they are using.
    Water should only by used when the final spirit produced will be over 63.5%, which is the standard ABV used for filling casks (for historical cask trading purposes). You are legally allowed to add water before the cask is filled to bring it down to that strength. Not every distillery will do that. Either way water makes zero difference to the production process, it’s all marketing nonsense in my opinion!!!

However I believe they mature all casks on site which is unusual and will help provide consistency of flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I agree - it's woolily worded for marketing purposes.

I doubt it means it's 'just' spring water, but it could mean that. Though 'pure' could be taken to mean taken and used direct from the spring as is, or filtered/treated/whatevered (which I assume it is).

I have five or six Bunnahabhains sitting in my hoard after a visit a few months back. They're gorgeous, and incredibly packed full of flavours that it can be quite overwhelming in terms of trying to work out just what's going on. Really lovely and helpful staff too.

Bruichladdich might be the only one that uses spring water (since it is all distilled and bottled on Islay)

"The water that is so essential to the distillation of Bruichladdich whiskies comes from three different water sources and serves three different purposes at three different stages.
    The first is the water that we add to the grist that is soaked and stirred and steeped in our huge old cast iron mash tun. This is piped from ‘An Torran’, our own reservoir, located around a mile up the gentle hill that lies behind the distillery.
    The second point at which we use water, and lots of it, is as the coolant that runs through the condensers in the still house. Although essential for successful distillation, it is not added to the liquid that becomes our precious spirit at any point, and it is drawn from the burn which runs past the distillery and out to sea. The hills are the catchment for the burn, but like most Scottish burns its flow is vary variable. When we have plenty of rain there is no problem, but when we have no rain for a week or so, the burn can quickly reduce to a trickle. Even this is no problem however, because when that happens we can open a sluice up at An Torran to supplement the flow in the burn and keep those condensers running.
    How long would we last without rain? The truth is we don’t know at this point in time – but we are likely to find out sooner or later! We have never before attempted our current production levels where we are distilling 24/5 so we are not sure how long the reservoir will feed the burn for. Revelation lies ahead though – because contrary to popular opinion it can be quite dry here for long periods, particularly during the summer. And when that happens, we will just stop for a while. It happens to most distilleries at some point in their lives and we will be no different.

The third point where we need water is in the bottling. Unless the whisky is to be sold at cask strength, we need to ‘let it down’ to the required abv by adding water. For distilleries that bottle on the mainland that usually means the addition of de-ionised water, but at Bruichladdich we bottle on Islay using water from a natural spring on Octomore Farm. This last bubbles naturally out of the ground, is collected in tanks by farmer James Brown and transported to the distillery on a trailer pulled by his tractor.

This spring water has filtered down through the oldest rocks in the whisky world, ancient gneiss formed some 1.8 billion years ago. It was once the water supply for the village of Port Charlotte (the old folk knew what was good for them), but it was superseded in the name of modernity and chemical additives around fifty years ago. There is something truly spiritual about tasting uber-pure water straight from a natural spring. It is very Bruichladdich."

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Bruichladdich might be the only one that uses spring water (since it is all distilled and bottled on Islay)

"The water that is so essential to the distillation of Bruichladdich whiskies comes from three different water sources and serves three different purposes at three different stages.
    The first is the water that we add to the grist that is soaked and stirred and steeped in our huge old cast iron mash tun. This is piped from ‘An Torran’, our own reservoir, located around a mile up the gentle hill that lies behind the distillery.
    The second point at which we use water, and lots of it, is as the coolant that runs through the condensers in the still house. Although essential for successful distillation, it is not added to the liquid that becomes our precious spirit at any point, and it is drawn from the burn which runs past the distillery and out to sea. The hills are the catchment for the burn, but like most Scottish burns its flow is vary variable. When we have plenty of rain there is no problem, but when we have no rain for a week or so, the burn can quickly reduce to a trickle. Even this is no problem however, because when that happens we can open a sluice up at An Torran to supplement the flow in the burn and keep those condensers running.
    How long would we last without rain? The truth is we don’t know at this point in time – but we are likely to find out sooner or later! We have never before attempted our current production levels where we are distilling 24/5 so we are not sure how long the reservoir will feed the burn for. Revelation lies ahead though – because contrary to popular opinion it can be quite dry here for long periods, particularly during the summer. And when that happens, we will just stop for a while. It happens to most distilleries at some point in their lives and we will be no different.

The third point where we need water is in the bottling. Unless the whisky is to be sold at cask strength, we need to ‘let it down’ to the required abv by adding water. For distilleries that bottle on the mainland that usually means the addition of de-ionised water, but at Bruichladdich we bottle on Islay using water from a natural spring on Octomore Farm. This last bubbles naturally out of the ground, is collected in tanks by farmer James Brown and transported to the distillery on a trailer pulled by his tractor.

This spring water has filtered down through the oldest rocks in the whisky world, ancient gneiss formed some 1.8 billion years ago. It was once the water supply for the village of Port Charlotte (the old folk knew what was good for them), but it was superseded in the name of modernity and chemical additives around fifty years ago. There is something truly spiritual about tasting uber-pure water straight from a natural spring. It is very Bruichladdich."
    My sister is a musician and on some orchestral trip, stayed with the farmer whose river they used as their water source. Needless to say, he had 100s of bottles. All free of charge...LEs, very old malts. Must have been woth a fortune. And the distillery paid him too!!

Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    My sister is a musician and on some orchestral trip, stayed with the farmer whose river they used as their water source. Needless to say, he had 100s of bottles. All free of charge...LEs, very old malts. Must have been woth a fortune. And the distillery paid him too!!

The farmer James Brown they mention above: I've definitely got some whisky made from his barley - his name's on many Bruichladdich products!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Won't go wrong with arran 10 , bunna 12 or a glenfarclas 15 if you liked the tamdhu
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Tamdhu - entirely delicious and entirely my taste!

If you have any other recommendations I am all ears!!!

Blog Entries
    Won't go wrong with arran 10 , bunna 12 or a glenfarclas 15 if you liked the tamdhu

👍🏼

Fantastic!

Master

Arran 10 is delicious.

Laphroaig Quartet Cask £25 on Amazon. Yum yum!

Master
    Smokey or sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Smokey or sweet?
    I’ve not had it for years, but I remember it being more smokey. It’s full on flavour, and quite unique. You’ll love it (!).

I also bought a bottle of Jonny Walker Green, and a Jim Beam black. I expect the next vGTG to be quite tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Smokey or sweet?
    Both
    Better than the standard 10yr. Bargain at £25 nowadays

Master
    Anyone tried the Highland Park Cask Strength Release One ?
    I picked up a couple of bottles from reallygoodwhisky.com for just under £55 a bottle.
    Harvey Nicholls were selling it at £70.
    I've not opened it yet.

maseman

Ordered along with the Bunnahabhain Moine. I like a good bargain.

Seems like there are some good deals around just now.............

That Bunnahabhain sounds great, but I cannot be buying more whisky - I need to be drinking what I have.

Ardbegs, Bruichladdichs,
    Bunnahabhain, Clynlish etc

Laphroaig Select in Sainsbury's at 23 quid at the moment...I was tempted by its time spent in PX casks. But then saw it's 40% and really quite averagely reviewed.

Went for (yet more) of the QCs instead. It's a really fantastic whisky at any price, and especially so at £25. Reviewers place it far higher than the 10 too (but not the CS 10).

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Laphroaig Select in Sainsbury's at 23 quid at the moment...I was tempted by its time spent in PX casks. But then saw it's 40% and really quite averagely reviewed.

Went for (yet more) of the QCs instead. It's a really fantastic whisky at any price, and especially so at £25. Reviewers place it far higher than the 10 too (but not the CS 10).
    CS is fantastic, but so pricey now, I can remember you used to be able to get it is Asda and Makro for £25.
    I've avoided the select, it's apparently a toned down Laphroaig to appeal to the masses, Laphroaig for people who don't like Laphroaig, so not for me.

Laph Select isn't pleasant IMO, I tried a bottle some time back and would never bother again. I actually marginally prefer the 10 to the QC though it's by a fine margin and currently have bottles of both. When they're on sale they're a great buy.