closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Grand Master

Re: Whiskey

the cc bottling of caol has a distinct sherry note under the smoke, and seems slighty peatier too. yum! :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Anyone here who frequents the Royal Mile Whiskies in Edinburgh? If you do, say hello to the Finnish guy working there!

We missed the Whiskey Fringe last year (because they had double booked the venue) and got excellent service at the RMW. The Scotch Malt Whiskey Society was also a great visit.

My affordable recommendations lately:
    - Longrow CV
    - Bruichladdich Darach Ur

Journeyman

Laguvilan and Ardbeg for me, or in fact anything from Islay.

Highland Park, very rarely keep this but whenever I'm out and have one I always wonder why it's not inthe cupboard.

Got a nice Penderyn open at the moment (when in Wales)

I've also got a few from the whisky club I'm in including a 29 y.o. Glen Scotia which is totally sublime and possibly the finest thing I've ever drunk.

I'm off up to Edinburgh at the end of the month for the Rugby League weekend so I may have to force a few wee drams down.

My problem is I always want to try new drams before I finish my current ones, so I have an ever increasing selection of 1/2+ full bottles. After 30+ they become a pain to store :drunken:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by isntAnything
    My problem is I always want to try new drams before I finish my current ones, so I have an ever increasing selection of 1/2+ full bottles. After 30+ they become a pain to store :drunken:
    I try to keep opened ones under five. Once they reach the half empty to one third point, I try to finish them.

Another problem with large collection: They start appreciating and I cannot get myself to opening them anymore. I have a 3rd release Port Ellen that has over doubled in price since I bought it and also a numbered bottling of Bowmore Voyage that I can't see myself opening. Even Ardbeg Supernova makes me hesitate... :roll:

Craftsman

I quite like this malt Glenfarclas 105

And this. Glenfiddich Special Reserve

And this Burbon is great imho, Jim Beam Black Label

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen
    I still quite like this:

That is one acquired taste you have their ArcofZen, I don’t know if there is any another malt as peaty as laphroaig.

Craftsman

I am quite surprised that laphroaig and other peaty malts are so popular. Most whisky drinkers I know find the peatyness (not sure such a word as peatyness but you know what I mean) off-putting. maybe I need to try another peaty malt. When I drink single malt I dont use water, do you use water with the peaty malts?

Grand Master

try ardbeg, or lagavulin. ardbeg has more of a peat sting and lagavulin is smokier, laphroaig has a balance of both with an added iodine sting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangman
    I still quite like this:
    i drink peaty malts both with and without water, as i do all malts. even a few drops of water can bring out very different characters in a malt so it's always worth experimenting.

That is one acquired taste you have their ArcofZen, I don’t know if there is any another malt as peaty as laphroaig.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

Second on the Laphroaig, I tried the 18 year version recently and that is without a doubt "da bomb".

Also anything from the Ardbeg family is a winner in my book, look out for the "almost there" slightly younger malt, it's got a great edge :D

Grand Master

not bought any new bottles due to a funds crisis but just finishing up a 10yo aberlour tonight before bed.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

this is the place to be.......

http://www.smws.co.uk

sorry if this has already been mentioned - I haven't the strength to read all 18 pages of this post!!

Grand Master

just pour yourself a dram and 18 pages will whizz by! :drunken:
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg

sorry if this has already been mentioned - I haven't the strength to read all 18 pages of this post!!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by nickg

I'm a a member here as well, they do good tasting sessions and I've bought some nice rare (in the sense you can't get the brand in suprmarket) bottlings off them as well.

Any opinions on Strathisla from the experts? Really enjoyed the taste I had recently.

Master

Lagavulin 1993 double matured today.. I'm definitely an islay guy but this nectar should appeal to almost anyone, very smooth and rounded.

Grand Master

bought a 10yr glenmorangie for £10 :shock: (damaged packaging) in my local tescoes, just realised i have never actually bought a bottle of this before, and it's pretty nice, all cinder toffee and what i can only describe as sandy!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Long thread so I will have said my piece somewhere

However Glenmorangie my fave. Wasn't keen uon Laphroagh.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Grand Master

ocasionally, but usually :D
    Quote Originally Posted by sangman
    I am quite surprised that laphroaig and other peaty malts are so popular. Most whisky drinkers I know find the peatyness (not sure such a word as peatyness but you know what I mean) off-putting. maybe I need to try another peaty malt. When I drink single malt I dont use water, do you use water with the peaty malts?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Glenlivet my favourite
    Best for me not to buy though
    Too addictive

Journeyman

Nice thread...mmm like may different but at the moment i have to say Macallan 18 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    not bought any new bottles due to a funds crisis but just finishing up a 10yo aberlour tonight before bed.
    A good choice and one of my favourites, a very accessible whisky. I stocked up on this when it was on sale at £15 a bottle. The Aberlour 16 and 18yr olds are lovely. The a'bunadh is nice, just have to be careful with it. As it's cask strength every batch is a slightly different strength, mine is batch no. 20 and 60.5% abv. As I drink all my whisky the way it comes you really taste the strength in this.

Also keen on Oban 14yr, Longmorn 16yr, Mortlach 16yr and Johnnie Walker Gold Label. A bargain the last one, I picked this up in Gibraltar for £20 :D

There's too many others to mention :D

currently my favourite one is Laphroaig 18yo which I just complemeted by Aberlour a'bunadh batch 29. I am quite intrigued by Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Caribbean Rum Finish which I probably get next mmm.. rum.. :drunken:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Sadly only in production for a short period was the Dalmore Cigar Malt, a fantastic Whisky which really complemented a nice Cuban Cigar, or just plain nice if not a smoker.

How do you get into drinking whiskey? Do you keep drinking it until you like it, or did you like it from the start?

I've tried it a few times, some came recommended by a whiskey connoisseur friend of mine, but still it tasted like hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by andyroo
    How do you get into drinking whiskey? Do you keep drinking it until you like it, or did you like it from the start?

I've tried it a few times, some came recommended by a whiskey connoisseur friend of mine, but still it tasted like hurting.
    I never touched Whisky or Brandy until a couple of years ago, couldn't even stand the smell. I think that was mainly down to an incident many years ago when I was about 12 one new year. Then a couple of years ago at a friends enjoying a cigar I was offered a nice single malt, and he had quite a good collection, so tried several, and since then I've enjoyed trying a lot of single malts. I also enjoy a nice Cognac as well now.

I know some people aren't keen on single malts and prefer blends, just as some like adding water/ice/soda whatever, have what you like and how you like it. It's all a personal choice, I prefer single malts as they come.

I really feel my taste buds have grown over the last few years, now at the ripe old age of 32 I love things I hated as a kid with my newest love....Liver, Bacon, Onions and mash :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce

I really feel my taste buds have grown over the last few years, now at the ripe old age of 32 I love things I hated as a kid with my newest love....Liver, Bacon, Onions and mash :D
    Liver and onions, yum :thumbup:

Do you like wine? If so, there are some wine barrel finished scotches or sherried examples which you might enjoy. I don't think that they are the best, but you would recognize the flavor profiles. When you get used to them, you can get more adventurous.

Any experts out there tried glenmorangie Sonnalta XP??
    I've an opportunity to bag a couple of bottles as part of my 25 yrs sevice award, it's a choice between ardbeg 10 yr old (of which I've already got a few bottles) and the Sonnalta (which is completely new to me, but looks interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    I've an opportunity to bag a couple of bottles as part of my 25 yrs sevice award, it's a choice between ardbeg 10 yr old (of which I've already got a few bottles) and the Sonnalta (which is completely new to me, but looks interesting)
    I'd go for the Glenmorangie, it looks like it's something for export only, I'd never heard of it before, thought you might have meant the Lasanta. It looks like it comes in a very similar bottle, a bit stronger at 46% abv, looks interesting. The Ardberg you can pick up in a supermarket if you want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    I'd go for the Glenmorangie, it looks like it's something for export only, I'd never heard of it before, thought you might have meant the Lasanta. It looks like it comes in a very similar bottle, a bit stronger at 46% abv, looks interesting. The Ardberg you can pick up in a supermarket if you want to try it.
    thanks.
    I'll prolly get a couple of bottles to make up the points quota

i think you are right about this,i now like all kind of things that i used to dislike.
    i could never drink neat whiskey but i now love a slug of various single malts. :drunken:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad

i think you are right about this,i now like all kind of things that i used to dislike.
    i could never drink neat whiskey but i now love a slug of various single malts. :drunken:
    Yes things like Whisky, coffee, guinness etc are all acquired tastes aren't they. I like them all but for some reason I cannot stand wine, neither red nor white.... Tastes rancid to me, doubt I will ever learn to like it.

Ha ha blend 285, choice of the Thai working class! Brutal hangover guaranteed...

Latest addition to my collection is the Sheep Dip 1990, not opened yet so no taste notes

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian

Do you like wine? If so, there are some wine barrel finished scotches or sherried examples which you might enjoy. I don't think that they are the best, but you would recognize the flavor profiles. When you get used to them, you can get more adventurous.
    I can't stand wine :D

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplad

... for some reason I cannot stand wine, neither red nor white.... Tastes rancid to me, doubt I will ever learn to like it.
    Not even Champagne, Port, Madeira etc? I find there's nothing like a nice crisp white wine on a summers day.

Master

Champagne I can manage but one glass is more than enough... perhaps some day :)

Blog Entries

Just back from a conference in Edinburgh and one of the evening entertainments was a whiskey tasting :mrgreen:

Only 4 on offer

Caol Ila
    Dalwhinnie
    Balvenie - double wood
    Singleton

Normally make a beeline for the Islay, but was struck by the Singleton - very smooth.
    Something of a change from the Islays - in fact I bought a bottle (as you do), and since I was on the lookout for Speyside I succumbed & also bought a Cragganmore distillers edition which was down to £32 (from £42 at the Royal Mile Whiskies)

So I'm off for a dram now :drunken:

Craftsman

I'm hosting a whisky tasting tomorrow where we amongst others will be tasting Teerenpeli 6yr old single malt from Finland. Never tasted it before, but have heard good things about their 3,4 and 5 yr old. We will also be tasting Ardbeg Rollercoaster and Stranahan from Colorado :drunken:

I still quite like this:

I have a bottle of this too. Why does it smell of TCP, or am I missing something??

Grand Master

that would be the seaweed and peat, the famous laphroaig "medicinal" hit! if you don't like it, send it to me! :wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNC74
    I still quite like this:

I have a bottle of this too. Why does it smell of TCP, or am I missing something??
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

how did the tasting go? :drunken:
    Quote Originally Posted by SD
    I'm hosting a whisky tasting tomorrow where we amongst others will be tasting Teerenpeli 6yr old single malt from Finland. Never tasted it before, but have heard good things about their 3,4 and 5 yr old. We will also be tasting Ardbeg Rollercoaster and Stranahan from Colorado :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

that would be the seaweed and peat, the famous laphroaig "medicinal" hit! if you don't like it, send it to me! :wink:
    I still quite like this:

Not quite yet...I'm trying to "acquire" the taste for it :lol: Handy when you have people round..they tend not to want a glass due to the initial TCP hit...more for me!

I still quite like this:

Not quite yet...I'm trying to "acquire" the taste for it :lol: Handy when you have people round..they tend not to want a glass due to the initial TCP hit...more for me!
    I have a bottle of that too, unopened, I tried a miniature of it someone sent me :) I have plenty other whisky's to drink so I think I may just give it to my sister :) there's no mistaking that dram for anything else :D

Grand Master

tried a glenturret for the first time recently - impressive! almost toffeeish!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Laphroaig is matured in sea caves isn't it?

I think that's what gives tise to the very distictive Tri-chlorophenol odour.

Grand Master

a heads up
    laphroaig 10yo £20
    aberlour 10 yo £18

both in asda :D
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Just want to report back.. I finally picked up a bottle of 21 Year Old Caribbean Rum Finish Glenfiddich aka Old Havana Reserve which I was after for some time.. great dram, very smooth, complex, with hint of spices and exotic fruit notes, almost Cognac like..

Very impressed so far and have to do some more testing obviously :drunken: :D

Fas est ab hoste doceri

I've just received a bottle of Gordon & McPhail's Connoisseur's Choice distilled at Knockdhu in 1974 from a customer (thanks again). I'll be drinking this one in thimble-fulls :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".