closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 2654

Thread: Whiskey

  1. #2601
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Currently working my way through a bottle of buffalo trace.
    It's a bit early in the day for most, but I admire your enthusiasm.

    I'm deliberately running my stocks down - rediscovering things at the back of the shelf that I'd forgotten about. Last night I had an Ardmore Legacy, then a Kilkerran Heavily Peated.

    Hoping to end up with a decent amount of space to restock on an Islay/Cambeltown trip later in the year, or early next.

  2. #2602
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    It's a bit early in the day for most, but I admire your enthusiasm.

    I'm deliberately running my stocks down - rediscovering things at the back of the shelf that I'd forgotten about. Last night I had an Ardmore Legacy, then a Kilkerran Heavily Peated.

    Hoping to end up with a decent amount of space to restock on an Islay/Cambeltown trip later in the year, or early next.
    lol I like my whisky but couldn't have it before breakfast, unless your talking about Laphroaig bacon of course

    Just as your talking about Islay, my brother and myself stubbled across a ferry service that runs direct from ni to Islay. I had always assumed we would have to travel via Scotland which made things more awkward.

    We are planning to go when all this settles down, prob gonna be next summer but it will be something to look forward to.
    Last edited by DamianM; 6th May 2020 at 09:25.

  3. #2603
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ayrshire
    Posts
    1,271
    Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old £30 amazon be quick


  4. #2604
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old £30 amazon be quick
    Thanks for that just ordered a bottle.

  5. #2605
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    Thanks for that just ordered a bottle.
    Me also, that is a decent price

  6. #2606
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old £30 amazon be quick
    Thanks for the heads up... Incoming!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  7. #2607
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    £36 a bottle now. Sigh.

  8. #2608
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    32,604
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    This thread has been rather quiet lately, hope everyone is staying safe and enjoying a few drams.

    Shortly after the lockdown I decided to gas all my decent opened bottles and put them to sleep and just sip away on the everyday stuff.

    Currently working my way through a bottle of buffalo trace.
    Drink the good stuff first, you never know what's around the corner.

  9. #2609
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Drink the good stuff first, you never know what's around the corner.
    That is a very good point indeed.

  10. #2610
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ayrshire
    Posts
    1,271
    Can still be got for 30 as temp out of stock but will be honoured by amazon, hurry wont be there long
    Last edited by dek10000; 7th May 2020 at 14:26.

  11. #2611
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    Superstar Dek!

  12. #2612
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ayrshire
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Superstar Dek!

    glad you got a bottle

  13. #2613
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    This turned up from amazon today.

    I have tried them all before apart from the blue label. That will change tonight.

    A very impressive 5cl glass bottle sample set, delivered for less than 25 quid.


  14. #2614
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Can still be got for 30 as temp out of stock but will be honoured by amazon, hurry wont be there long
    Thanks, ordered. Never tried before but one to add to the burgeoning collection of Islays.
    Also, Eagle Rare is £30 for anyone who likes bourbon and hasn't tried or wants to stock up

  15. #2615
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    This turned up from amazon today.

    I have tried them all before apart from the blue label. That will change tonight.

    A very impressive 5cl glass bottle sample set, delivered for less than 25 quid.

    I was once on a flight to Pakistan with my Father and his colleague (both work for the airline, so we were flying 1st Class), where we decided to try every whisky they had on board as a taste test - Pakistan is a dry country, it's a long flight, they wanted to get pleasantly drunk and have a sleep. My Father absolutely hates any JW, but we managed to slip the Double Black past him. His verdict "It's not bad but it tastes like an artificially peated blend. Is it Black Grouse?"

    A couple of drams later we gave him the Blue, he literally spat it back into the glass. "Oh god, that's Johnnie Walker. Definitely. It tastes like someone's tried to disguise Red Label by mixing it with Macallan or Glenlivet, but it still has that horrid tang."

    So it seems you either love it or loath it, even at £150 a bottle!

  16. #2616
    This was actually last Saturday and is a 'photo I took before a virtual online meet-up. I managed to polish off the Dalmore 18, not that there was much left anyway, and the Kilkerran 12 is a staple.

    The black skull is an anejo tequila and didn't need the mixer next to it!

    Saturday Night In by CardSharkLotus, on Flickr

  17. #2617
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,032
    Glen 18s, now opened and not as full!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #2618
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Glen 18s, now opened and not as full!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lovely

    I had the Glen 18 and Signet in a tasting with a LVMH brand bloke a few years back.

    Both were lovely, but the 18 stood out as the nicer of the two

  19. #2619
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Drink the good stuff first, you never know what's around the corner.
    Also, if you drink your best stuff first, you’re always drinking your best stuff.

  20. #2620
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    Thanks, ordered. Never tried before but one to add to the burgeoning collection of Islays.
    Also, Eagle Rare is £30 for anyone who likes bourbon and hasn't tried or wants to stock up
    Thanks for the heads up, bottle of Eagle rare ordered.

  21. #2621
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I was once on a flight to Pakistan with my Father and his colleague (both work for the airline, so we were flying 1st Class), where we decided to try every whisky they had on board as a taste test - Pakistan is a dry country, it's a long flight, they wanted to get pleasantly drunk and have a sleep. My Father absolutely hates any JW, but we managed to slip the Double Black past him. His verdict "It's not bad but it tastes like an artificially peated blend. Is it Black Grouse?"

    A couple of drams later we gave him the Blue, he literally spat it back into the glass. "Oh god, that's Johnnie Walker. Definitely. It tastes like someone's tried to disguise Red Label by mixing it with Macallan or Glenlivet, but it still has that horrid tang."

    So it seems you either love it or loath it, even at £150 a bottle!
    I had set a very high expection bar for the blue label and it was not what I was expecting at all.

    I had imagined some powerful, smoky, explosion in your mouth type of whisky. Instead it was silky smooth, super refined, extremely well balanced with just a hint of smoke. It's night and day from the rest of the core range and imo a massive step up from the 18 yr old.

    It's certainly not cheap at about £135 a bootle atm but I have seen it around £100 on amazon from time to time and at that price I'd likely pick a bottle up.

  22. #2622
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Lovely

    I had the Glen 18 and Signet in a tasting with a LVMH brand bloke a few years back.

    Both were lovely, but the 18 stood out as the nicer of the two
    The Signet is def inferior to the Glenmo18, but it’s half a dozen six of the other between these two. I find it’s down to mood and how hungry I am!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #2623
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    Multitasking last night - whisky and a virtual GTG!


  24. #2624
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Glen 18s, now opened and not as full!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I share your taste in 18 year olds !


    The Glendronach 18 is just superb although the price now gone crazy. The Bowmore 18 is a bit different to the others and is my winters night dram



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #2625
    Master jimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    home of the "PARMO"
    Posts
    6,886
    Hi, my local Morrisons seems to be selling a lot of spirits off, shelf label says it's end of stock,
    Singleton dufftown single malt, reduced from £25 -£10, only 2 bottles left, well I had to.

  26. #2626
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Hi, my local Morrisons seems to be selling a lot of spirits off, shelf label says it's end of stock,
    Singleton dufftown single malt, reduced from £25 -£10, only 2 bottles left, well I had to.
    Hard to go wrong at £10 a bottle.

  27. #2627
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Thanks for the heads up... Incoming!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Arrived, time to try it

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  28. #2628
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    139
    I bought one on the recommendation here too. Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow.

  29. #2629
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I bought one on the recommendation here too. Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Can still be got for 30 as temp out of stock but will be honoured by amazon, hurry wont be there long
    Still available tonight at £30, can't wait to try...

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  30. #2630
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    947
    Just bought 2 bottles of glenfiddich 18 reduced from £67 to £35 a bottle from tesco might be worth a look if you are near my local one had one left

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  31. #2631
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Just bought 2 bottles of glenfiddich 18 reduced from £67 to £35 a bottle from tesco might be worth a look if you are near my local one had one left

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Bargain. My favourite Glenfiddich! Damn you SARS-CoV-2...I can’t just run into Tescos and buy a job lot!

    Edit: ok the temptation of £35 a bottle Glennfiddich 18 was too much... I bravely ventured to my local Tesco. It was reduced to £57, and also out of stock. Sigh. I bought some pickled eggs instead.

    Nice to see the supermarkets stocking toilet rolls again though!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    glad you got a bottle
    I did and it’s superb! Many thanks mate.
    Last edited by Kirk280; 14th May 2020 at 21:41.

  32. #2632
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Just bought 2 bottles of glenfiddich 18 reduced from £67 to £35 a bottle from tesco might be worth a look if you are near my local one had one left
    That's a super price for that!

    My local tesco doesn't really have anything at all over £40. Just all the general run of the mill stuff.

  33. #2633
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,845
    Doing the weekly shop yesterday at Morrison’s and came across Crabbie’s Yardhead single malt for £16 a bottle! Amazon do it at the same price I see but out if stock currently.

    Never heard of it or seen it there before and at that price wasn’t expecting much at all but it was lovely and easily drinkable “vanilla and biscuit with apple and caramel flavours”.

    It’s the cheapest single malt I’ve ever seen and will probably pick up another couple next week if they’re still there.

    Cheers
    Neil

  34. #2634
    Master Marios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    4,383

    Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Doing the weekly shop yesterday at Morrison’s and came across Crabbie’s Yardhead single malt for £16 a bottle! Amazon do it at the same price I see but out if stock currently.

    Never heard of it or seen it there before and at that price wasn’t expecting much at all but it was lovely and easily drinkable “vanilla and biscuit with apple and caramel flavours”.

    It’s the cheapest single malt I’ve ever seen and will probably pick up another couple next week if they’re still there.

    Cheers
    Neil
    Also tried it about two weeks ago. Very decent stuff indeed and excellent vfm. Very very young malt better suited for a highball IMO.

  35. #2635
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,199
    just opened the Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old recommended by dek10000. Thanks for the heads up, it's a very nice drop for £30 a bottle.

  36. #2636
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    not dan saf
    Posts
    2,453
    Blog Entries
    2
    This brought memories flooding back.

    Crabbies was a company that had their place in Leith (Edinburgh) and was more renowned for their ginger ales. This was where I was brought up and the adjacent street was Yardheads and a busy wee quarter in general.

    Nice to see the name living on in an appropriate way.

    Slainte!

    Jim


    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Doing the weekly shop yesterday at Morrison’s and came across Crabbie’s Yardhead single malt for £16 a bottle! Amazon do it at the same price I see but out if stock currently.

    Never heard of it or seen it there before and at that price wasn’t expecting much at all but it was lovely and easily drinkable “vanilla and biscuit with apple and caramel flavours”.

    It’s the cheapest single malt I’ve ever seen and will probably pick up another couple next week if they’re still there.

    Cheers
    Neil

  37. #2637
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    just opened the Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old recommended by dek10000. Thanks for the heads up, it's a very nice drop for £30 a bottle.
    It sure is, I've been enjoying it a little too much last couple of weeks

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  38. #2638
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    It sure is, I've been enjoying it a little too much last couple of weeks

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    +1

    Thanks Dek!

  39. #2639
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ayrshire
    Posts
    1,271
    The bunna 12 is a great malt wont be many better under £50 imo, so at £30 its a no brainer glad you all seemed to enjoy it

  40. #2640
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    The bunna 12 is a great malt wont be many better under £50 imo, so at £30 its a no brainer glad you all seemed to enjoy it
    In case anyone is wondering, as of tonight that deal is still live on Amazon - I've picked up a second bottle

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  41. #2641
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    7,397
    Blog Entries
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, as of tonight that deal is still live on Amazon - I've picked up a second bottle

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Excellent. I’ve just ordered ... & I had a £10 voucher - so it is indeed a bargain.

    z

  42. #2642
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, as of tonight that deal is still live on Amazon - I've picked up a second bottle

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks - I think - just ordered another bottle....hic!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Excellent. I’ve just ordered ... & I had a £10 voucher - so it is indeed a bargain.

    z
    We can have a whisky together at the next virtual GTG this Thursday!

  43. #2643

    Hello

    Anything more peaty than Laphroaig, recommendations please.

  44. #2644
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Anything more peaty than Laphroaig, recommendations please.
    I'm not a fan of laphroaig but sound like Lagavulin 16yrs would be up your street
    Cheaper buying TCP though

  45. #2645
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,199
    Lagavulin 16 is definitely the one to try and maybe Coal ila which is fairly peaty.

  46. #2646
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Loughton UK
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Anything more peaty than Laphroaig, recommendations please.
    Lagavullin
    Ardbeg

    Both peatier I’d argue (Lagavulin is my favourite single malt).

  47. #2647
    Bruichladdich's Octomore range is noted as being *the* peatiest on the planet though they're not cheap and not for the faint of heart, they're extremely powerful in flavour.

    Arbeg's Uigealdail is an Islay I enjoy, it's heavy on smoke without the medicinal kick you get from Laphroaig's offerings.

  48. #2648
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Bruichladdich's Octomore range is noted as being *the* peatiest on the planet though they're not cheap and not for the faint of heart, they're extremely powerful in flavour.

    Arbeg's Uigealdail is an Islay I enjoy, it's heavy on smoke without the medicinal kick you get from Laphroaig's offerings.
    Octomore doesn't use Islay peat though so it's less medicinal than other Islays. Ardbeg would be my choice too.

  49. #2649

    Hello

    Thanks, will check out Ardbeg!

  50. #2650
    anCnoc if you really want peaty. Check the phenol range ....


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information