closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,450 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    This is a genuine belter, and quite punchy with a drop of water. £36!

Don’t often purchase on single recommendations - but have bought a bottle as it does sound interesting. For Christmas guests. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Jon, that is one amazing collecting of whiskies - enjoy every dram, I know I would.

I tried a few drams of a 25yrs old Balblair at a whisky festival in the Spring and it was definitely the stand out of the event for me.
    Thank you.

I didn't try the 25yo but tried the 12 (not good), 15 (nice), 18 (very smooth) and the Hand bottled (beautiful). I couldn't justify buying a 25 at £500 a bottle when the festival release is 22yo and £205.

I visited the distillery with the distinct purpose of trying to aquire a 90 1st release. This is my all time favourite whisky. I've had two, but cannot get another. Balblair don't have any for sale either as they have now (since March) stop doing dated specials and will stick with the always on sale 12, 15, 18 and 25 and a couple of specials, which I bought that are only available from the distillery shop.

Fun fact#1 - Balblairs capacity is 1.5m litres per annum (1.8m max). They only use 10% and sell the other 90% of the distilled wash to other brands, notably Chivas

Fun fact#2 - Monkey Shoulder's name comes from the process of turning the malt every hour for 48 hours straight. The turners arm would flop down after doing so and resemble a monkey's swinging arm.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Don’t often purchase on single recommendations - but have bought a bottle as it does sound interesting. For Christmas guests. Cheers!
    Hope you enjoy it! Try it with and without a drop of water...this difference is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post

Fun fact#2 - Monkey Shoulder's name comes from the process of turning the malt every hour for 48 hours straight. The turners arm would flop down after doing so and resemble a monkey's swinging arm.
    The few distilleries that still malt their own barley now use a type of rake and/or a machine that turns it over, from memory the one used at Springbank when I visited a few weeks back looked similar to a lawnmower with plough-like attachments - I suppose that's health and safety for you! And while we're talking about Monkey Shoulder, the 3 monkeys on the bottle represent the 3 Speyside distilleries that form the blend: Balvenie, Kininvie and Glenfiddich.

Glendronach's 18y Allardice Edition for me tonight, a 100% oloroso matured drop of liquid luxury.

Allardice 18

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The few distilleries that still malt their own barley now use a...
    I was shocked and very disappointed when on visiting Isla I learned that Diageo malt most of the barley for the distilleries on the island. Even if the distilleries stay independent, they are still under the control of Diageo in some form.

The few distilleries that still malt their own barley now use a type of rake and/or a machine that turns it over, from memory the one used at Springbank when I visited a few weeks back looked similar to a lawnmower with plough-like attachments - I suppose that's health and safety for you! And while we're talking about Monkey Shoulder, the 3 monkeys on the bottle represent the 3 Speyside distilleries that form the blend: Balvenie, Kininvie and Glenfiddich.

Glendronach's 18y Allardice Edition for me tonight, a 100% oloroso matured drop of liquid luxury.

Allardice 18
    I was just talking to someone today about the Oloroso and saying how I need to try it. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I was shocked and very disappointed when on visiting Isla I learned that Diageo malt most of the barley for the distilleries on the island. Even if the distilleries stay independent, they are still under the control of Diageo in some form.
    Correct. Glenffidich still do a very small % on site to impress the tourists. One or two others do similar.

To be completely honest I didn't realise that the malt house on Islay was owned by Diageo though you can't help but notice the building itself, it's a bit of an ugly industrial monstrosity IMO. Laphroiag still malts a percentage of its own barley (I can't remember if it's 10% or 20%) and Bowmore a percentage as well, both Diageo brands... I think there's one other on Islay that either malts all or part of its barley, it's not Ardbeg or Lagavulin though I can't remember which one it is, though to be fair to each distillery I visited there no-one hid where they got their malt from with each distillery tour guide stating that all malts would be to their own specification.

I know what you mean about being disappointed when learning about the malting process being mostly completed out of house though I guess that it's a) financial economics at play and b) the square footage space may be put to better use doing something else within the distillery - if you go to the Oban distillery, for example, the current visitor centre and shop was once the malt house. It was also interesting to both hear about and see some distilleries with pagoda chimneys as an architectural feature rather than for actual practical use as a form of malt house ventilation, if you were erring on the sceptical side you may be thinking that the adding/retaining of such features would be to trick the casual observer into thinking that the malting was still taking place on site.

If you want to visit a distillery that does everything in house then go to Springbank, there you witness them malt 100% of their barley right through to casking and bottling it, the only thing that they don't do is keep 100% of their filled casks on site and that's only because of the relatively small size of it - of the 7 distilleries I visited last month that was my favourite by a country mile.
    Last edited by CardShark; 14th October 2019 at 23:01.

I was just talking to someone today about the Oloroso and saying how I need to try it. What are your thoughts?
    Firstly, I'm going to add the caveat that I'm not hugely experienced with 100% sherry (oloroso or otherwise) casked whiskies or even whiskies at this price point therefore I don't have much to draw upon however I will say that it knocked spots off the (lovely!) 100% oloroso Glenfarclas 21 I tried alongside it in a whisky bar. Comparing one with the other you'd think that the Glenfarclas wasn't a first-fill*, it was both lighter in colour and lacking in real depth of flavour and finish when alongside the Glendronach. There's no doubting that the Glendronach is a sherried whisky, both on the nose and palette, and compared to all other whiskies that I have tried it sits in my top 5 favourites without any hesitation. As i said in my post above; it's liquid luxury.

For the record, I'm a big fan of the Glenfarclas 15, however I just didn't think the 21 worth the extra coin over its younger sibling.

*I don't actually know whether either are first-fills or not, I'd presume they are given their age statements however I can't be sure.
    Last edited by CardShark; 15th October 2019 at 00:30.

Maker’s Mark Bourbon in Waitrose at the moment £23 (reduced from £32). Great for Old Fashioned’s 👍🏻

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...90-32673-32674
    Last edited by dougair; 15th October 2019 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Maker’s Mark Bourbon in Waitrose at the moment £23 (reduced from £32). Great for Old Fashioned’s 

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...90-32673-32674
    To be fair, it's £23 most of the year on Amazon anyway.

Firstly, I'm going to add the caveat that I'm not hugely experienced with 100% sherry (oloroso or otherwise) casked whiskies or even whiskies at this price point therefore I don't have much to draw upon however I will say that it knocked spots off the (lovely!) 100% oloroso Glenfarclas 21 I tried alongside it in a whisky bar. Comparing one with the other you'd think that the Glenfarclas wasn't a first-fill*, it was both lighter in colour and lacking in real depth of flavour and finish when alongside the Glendronach. There's no doubting that the Glendronach is a sherried whisky, both on the nose and palette, and compared to all other whiskies that I have tried it sits in my top 5 favourites without any hesitation. As i said in my post above; it's liquid luxury.

For the record, I'm a big fan of the Glenfarclas 15, however I just didn't think the 21 worth the extra coin over its younger sibling.

*I don't actually know whether either are first-fills or not, I'd presume they are given their age statements however I can't be sure.
    Cheers. I'll give it a go. It sounds right up my street.

Master
    I’ve tried tons of whisky over he years - including some very expensive options.

I still come back to the normal 10 YO Laphroaig nd the 16YO Lagavulin as my go to whiskies.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't drink myself but I seen this thread and wanted to say I was working in a fancy Whiskey distillery in south west wales yesterday.

There were various bottles for sale and shots available.

My eyes almost popped out of my head.

£4700 for a bottle and no change lol.

I think little shots of it were £175.

Total madness

Master
    To be completely honest I didn't realise that the malt house on Islay was owned by Diageo though you can't help but notice the building itself, it's a bit of an ugly industrial monstrosity IMO. Laphroiag still malts a percentage of its own barley (I can't remember if it's 10% or 20%) and Bowmore a percentage as well, both Diageo brands... I think there's one other on Islay that either malts all or part of its barley, it's not Ardbeg or Lagavulin though I can't remember which one it is, though to be fair to each distillery I visited there no-one hid where they got their malt from with each distillery tour guide stating that all malts would be to their own specification.

I know what you mean about being disappointed when learning about the malting process being mostly completed out of house though I guess that it's a) financial economics at play and b) the square footage space may be put to better use doing something else within the distillery - if you go to the Oban distillery, for example, the current visitor centre and shop was once the malt house. It was also interesting to both hear about and see some distilleries with pagoda chimneys as an architectural feature rather than for actual practical use as a form of malt house ventilation, if you were erring on the sceptical side you may be thinking that the adding/retaining of such features would be to trick the casual observer into thinking that the malting was still taking place on site.

If you want to visit a distillery that does everything in house then go to Springbank, there you witness them malt 100% of their barley right through to casking and bottling it, the only thing that they don't do is keep 100% of their filled casks on site and that's only because of the relatively small size of it - of the 7 distilleries I visited last month that was my favourite by a country mile.
    Lagavulin and Caol Ila are owned by Diageo
    I think Suntory own Bowmore and Laphroaig

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I don't drink myself but I seen this thread and wanted to say I was working in a fancy Whiskey distillery in south west wales yesterday.

There were various bottles for sale and shots available.

My eyes almost popped out of my head.

£4700 for a bottle and no change lol.

I think little shots of it were £175.

Total madness
    You're on a discussion forum where people will give their first born to an AD & buy a bunch of watches or jewelry they dont even want, just for the opportunity to be considered for a list where they may or may not get the chance to spend 10k on a watch in 3+ years time.

Madness is relative!

Allardice 18
    A man of great taste

It is one of my top 3 favourite whiskies. I was lucky enough to be given a generous sized glass of the Parliament Glendronach last night - 21 year old. But is still prefer the 18

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think Suntory own Bowmore and Laphroaig
    Indeed, I got it the wrong way round. I should have twigged as it was Laphroaig and Bowmore who were the most twitchy about taking photographs/using electronic equipment within the distillery due to their parent company (Beam Suntory) being involved in this - https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/ji...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    A man of great taste

Cheers. It's rather nice, isn't it!?

Craftsman
    As with many others on here Islay malts are a perennial favourite, shame about the "incorporation" of them, but that seems to be the way of the world.
    On another tack I dislike the standard Glenfiddich, however their "Solera" is a wonderful drop, feted by Ian Banks who wrote a great book about visiting most of the distilleries (The Whisky Road?) and Solera was the one he most favoured. It is also very affordable, especially at the moment as Sainsburys have it reduced from £40 to £32, it's in the Reddish container, not the brown one which is a 15 year old and has been shown the Solera casks! Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    As with many others on here Islay malts are a perennial favourite, shame about the "incorporation" of them, but that seems to be the way of the world.
    On another tack I dislike the standard Glenfiddich, however their "Solera" is a wonderful drop, feted by Ian Banks who wrote a great book about visiting most of the distilleries (The Whisky Road?) and Solera was the one he most favoured. It is also very affordable, especially at the moment as Sainsburys have it reduced from £40 to £32, it's in the Reddish container, not the brown one which is a 15 year old and has been shown the Solera casks! Cheers, John B4
    Be prepared to have to explain the Solera vat process to everyone you share it with, though!

You're on a discussion forum where people will give their first born to an AD & buy a bunch of watches or jewelry they dont even want, just for the opportunity to be considered for a list where they may or may not get the chance to spend 10k on a watch in 3+ years time.

Madness is relative!
    To be honest I think people who do that really have had a few too many Whiskeys in their life, it has destroyed all judgement and good logic.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    To be honest I think people who do that really have had a few too many Whiskeys in their life, it has destroyed all judgement and good logic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I’ve tried tons of whisky over he years - including some very expensive options.

I still come back to the normal 10 YO Laphroaig nd the 16YO Lagavulin as my go to whiskies.

yep same here

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    yep same here
    Yep, same. Story here. At one point I was trying a new bottle each month and most of it was unspectacular, and had me wishing I just got my Favs. I don't do so much expirementing now and have a handful of bottles that I like to have on hand.

Yellow spot
    Green spot lcb
    Redbreast 12 or 15(if on offer)
    Arran 14
    Lagavulin 16
    Ardbeg 10
    Black bush
    And regular old Jameson for Irish coffee.

If I see them on offer or if I'm feeling saucy, I would also get:

Caol illa
    Arran 10
    Nikka
    Bruichladdich island barley
    Bushmills 16 (Mrs Smyth likes it)

Outside of that, I don't really do random bottles anymore.

Journeyman
    Got a bottle from my sister . it is made near her. really very nice indeed

Tesco currently selling Glenfiddich 15 year old Solara Cask for £25. Bargain!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Tesco currently selling Glenfiddich 15 year old Solara Cask for £25. Bargain!
    Nothing showing on the website. Must be a local or an in store offer?

^^^ It was on sale a week or two back, so was Laphroaig 10 (from £38 down to £28). I know that the Laph has gone back up in store since then but I didn't notice the Glenfiddich price, will have to stop by my local Tesco on the way back from work tonight just in case... It does sound like a bargain and it's an interesting cask mix as well, got to be worth a shot for £32 and it doesn't read too bad for £40 either. Tesco do have some good whisky sales on now and again, that's how I keep my Laph 10 desires sated!
    Last edited by CardShark; 17th October 2019 at 16:27. Reason: wrong price...

Nothing showing on the website. Must be a local or an in store offer?
    Yes, in store.
    Best Regards - Peter

Yes, in store.
    Thanks, Peter. I'll nip in tomorrow

Thanks, Peter. I'll nip in tomorrow
    Tried 2 stores on the way home, looks like it's back up to £40 unless there are regional variances.

£40 in Leeds too :(.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Tried 2 stores on the way home, looks like it's back up to £40 unless there are regional variances.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Because of that, I've just cracked this open which I bought in Thurso last week.

Bourbon and Oloroso casks makes for a very smooth drink.

All their whisky is NAS as the distillery has only been reopened in the last five years. Nice story behing the reopening. Three Scots had a successful telecomms business in South Africa. They sold up, moved back and ploughed their own money into reopening Wolfburn.

https://wolfburn.com/
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 19th October 2019 at 07:57.

Slurp...

Talisker 10 year old was £30 in my local Tesco the other night....It makes working late a joy!!

Popped back myself today to get another one and yes, it's back up to £40 so I passed.

The Aberfeldy 12yo was down to £25 though, as was the Bowmore 12yo so I picked up one of each along with a very interesting Sicilian Blood Orange Gin for the same price and which I'm enjoying a nice glass of as I type - the Bowmore will be for later this evening.

I'm wondering if they change the prices every other day on certain bottles?
    Best Regards - Peter

Popped back myself today to get another one and yes, it's back up to £40 so I passed.

The Aberfeldy 12yo was down to £25 though, as was the Bowmore 12yo so I picked up one of each along with a very interesting Sicilian Blood Orange Gin for the same price and which I'm enjoying a nice glass of as I type - the Bowmore will be for later this evening.

I'm wondering if they change the prices every other day on certain bottles?
    Their whisky sales appear to be cyclical, if something isn't on sale now wait a month or two for it to come around again. Most (maybe all) of their range is discounted at one time or another.

I noticed the Bowmore myself, if I didn't have 5 different Islays on the go at the moment I'd have bought a bottle. I did pick up the Glenfiddich 15 though, I'm meeting up with a whisky loving friend of mine tonight which is all the excuse I need to justify my impatience waiting for it to drop down in price again...

Thanks for the heads up.

Because of that, I've just cracked this open which I bought in Thurso last week.

Bourbon and Oloroso casks makes for a very smooth drink.

All their whisky is NAS as the distillery has only been reopened in the last five years. Nice story behing the reopening. Three Scots had a successful telecomms business in South Africa. They sold up, moved back and ploughed their own money into reopening Wofburn.

https://wolfburn.com/
    Jeez! I lived up there for 16yrs and never heard of that distillery! I like Old Pultney, but wouldn’t put it in the ‘top shelf’ category.

Will look out for it in the pubs.

Craftsman
    I picked up a bottle of Balvenie New Wood a few years ago for £50 As my work found 30 bottles in the back of the warehouse, a good buy i think considering it was the very last ever bottles to be sold. I do get many other bargains working in the whisky industry but can be tough watching a few hundred bottles of 40 year old Balvenie being decanted and the lot being thrown out. Lol.

Craftsman
    Amazon Prime deal on Aberlour 12 yrs old, only £28 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009SS9C..._cbJRDbE3GC6EK

It's a great dram at that price, and it seems to go on sale on prime relatively frequently

A few good deals in my local sainsburys, not sure if it's nationwide

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    A few good deals in my local sainsburys, not sure if it's nationwide

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    A good time to stock up for Xmas. What's the Hudson like?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    I picked up a bottle of Balvenie New Wood a few years ago for £50 As my work found 30 bottles in the back of the warehouse, a good buy i think considering it was the very last ever bottles to be sold. I do get many other bargains working in the whisky industry but can be tough watching a few hundred bottles of 40 year old Balvenie being decanted and the lot being thrown out. Lol.
    Why do they do that though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Can be old stock, vat reasons or customer returns. Could be something as simple as a mark on a label etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    A good time to stock up for Xmas. What's the Hudson like?

It's really nice, a noticeable step up from the likes of wild turkey 81 and that's very decent in its own right. The 46% abv packs a decent punch as well. Normally this is over £30 from the likes of Master of Malt etc so an absolute bargain at under £15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    It's really nice, a noticeable step up from the likes of wild turkey 81 and that's very decent in its own right. The 46% abv packs a decent punch as well. Normally this is over £30 from the likes of Master of Malt etc so an absolute bargain at under £15.
    Thanks. I'll have a look after work, see if I can find some.

Master
    In Milroy's whisky bar in Soho last Saturday and tried Cotswolds whisky
    Very nice indeed-a big step up from the Norfolk stuff.

Journeyman
    Reviving this thread

I received a £25 Amazon voucher as a birthday present and was going to buy a nice single malt with it.

I don’t mind putting a few quid to it if need be.

Can anyone recommend something nice for me to try,maybe something on a good deal at the moment perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Reviving this thread

I received a £25 Amazon voucher as a birthday present and was going to buy a nice single malt with it.

I don’t mind putting a few quid to it if need be.

Can anyone recommend something nice for me to try,maybe something on a good deal at the moment perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Fraser
    Gonna need a little more than that to be able to offer advice.

What's your type?

Journeyman
    Gonna need a little more than that to be able to offer advice.

What's your type?
    To be honest I’ve not got a great deal of experience in drinking it, have been given a few bottles back and forth in the past but I’ve not drank enough to say what I like and don’t like.

I am drinking a bottle of 10 year old Isle of Arran single malt just now which is nice, I’ve also had the highland laddie single malt from Isla,which was nice as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    To be honest I’ve not got a great deal of experience in drinking it, have been given a few bottles back and forth in the past but I’ve not drank enough to say what I like and don’t like.

I am drinking a bottle of 10 year old Isle of Arran single malt just now which is nice, I’ve also had the highland laddie single malt from Isla,which was nice as well.
    Can I recommend Oban-14yr old-you will need to add about £15 quid or Highland Park which is about 35-40 I think.
    Both very palatable for the relative whisky novice.