closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    A trip to the distilleries is on my bucket list. I'd like to whizz up there in the Boxster but it's a hell of a mundane drive just to get to Scotland and back. Whatever happened to Motorail?

Anyhow, this is my drinks cupboard (whisky shelf). Gins and vodkas on the shelf above ;-)

Lagavulin 16yo is my favourite.

Nice selection!

I'm at Lagavulin on Tuesday, and I've driven just shy of 500 miles today in my Elise so you've no excuse not to get up here in a Boxster ;-)

Craftsman
    Enjoy islay man it a great place to visit and have a dram or two

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Image1567965459.328493.jpgmy next two bottles for drinkin

Was given this by a us friend
    Love it even though i rarely drink

Craftsman
    Nice one that

Was originally made as a whiskey to use in a blend but they now sell it a fine tipple I believe

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    A trip to the distilleries is on my bucket list. I'd like to whizz up there in the Boxster but it's a hell of a mundane drive just to get to Scotland and back. Whatever happened to Motorail?

Anyhow, this is my drinks cupboard (whisky shelf). Gins and vodkas on the shelf above ;-)

Lagavulin 16yo is my favourite.

Is there a Springbank 12 among that lot? What are your thoughts on the 10?

Any Glengoyne?

Craftsman
    Question for the whisky lovers. I'm not a whisky drinker but been offered a couple of the 2019 sherry oak McAllen for slightly below retail. Worth taking as an investment for a few years or nothing special?

Now the nights are chilling down and drawing in it's time to be visiting the cellar here at Caisteal magirus. Some are still here, some long gone, and some rum has entered the fray . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Question for the whisky lovers. I'm not a whisky drinker but been offered a couple of the 2019 sherry oak McAllen for slightly below retail. Worth taking as an investment for a few years or nothing special?
    How much?
    Friend bought 3 casks of Bruichladdich 15 years ago. He paid about £800 per cask.
    Will be a bit more today though.
    Great fun visiting it every year on the bikes...and he did ok out of the deal.
    Bear in mind you'll have to pay excise duty and bottling/labeling fees when the time comes. Furthermore, remember you can't actually sell it without a licence. If it's decent deal, you'll usually sell two-thirds of the cask contents back to the distillery to cover those costs...so end up with about a third? I visit Islay/Jura twice a year. Just returned, am sampling Jura 'The Road' at the mo...picked it up at Craighouse a few weeks back.
    I recon Kilchoman is the one to watch...it's grown from nothing (a farm) a few years back, to something quite special. One of the few distilleries to grow their own barley, process it through to the whisky AND bottle it, all on site. The majority of Islay bottling being done on the mainland. Their stuff is just properly coming on stream now. Will be huge in a few years time. Also registered an interest in buying an Ardnahoe whisky future should they come up. We'll see.

Go for it.

Away for a bite to eat and then away for a private whisky tasting.
    We have some french friends over and they love it, take it very seriously, taking notes etc on each one we try.

Son was with wife in Costco today. Son says ‘that’s one of dad’s favourites’ ..... not yet seen the receipt but she said £54 inc VAT. She got me two bottles. If the price is right that is a real bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Which Costco ? Never seen it in ours thurmaston the whiskey there seems to be the same boring selection month after month that's about a fiver less than the supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Which Costco ? Never seen it in ours thurmaston the whiskey there seems to be the same boring selection month after month that's about a fiver less than the supermarkets
    Chadderton, Manchester. And she just showed me the receipt. £54 includes the VAT ! Tempted to go back for a couple more. Can be £90 elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Chadderton, Manchester. And she just showed me the receipt. £54 includes the VAT ! Tempted to go back for a couple more. Can be £90 elsewhere

Total bargain...last time I was in Costco it was £80 (couple of months ago). Generally, they have Lagavulin 16 at a decent price...around £45.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

This is from the SMWS and is bloody awful.

Do not bother. I’m having to blend it with other malts to attempt to make it palatable, but feel I’m just wasting other malts.

At the other end of the spectrum...I just found Ben Bracken 8 year old single malt in Lidl for 9.99 euros, very, very easy/pleasant drinking speyside malt, not a world beater but at that price what can you expect/ you'd be mad not to try it, might be worth checking your local Lidl's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    This is from the SMWS and is bloody awful.

Do not bother. I’m having to blend it with other malts to attempt to make it palatable, but feel I’m just wasting other malts.
    I find that with every speyside whisky I've ever tried. Can't get past that underlying vinegar note.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Stocked up .... will see me through the winter

Giving this a whirl and rather enjoying it.

I'll update the thread with some more details when (feels like "if" at the moment!) I get the time however I'll say now that my little trip around Islay and parts of south west Scotland were incredible, I've learnt so much. I visited 7 distilleries and tried maybe 40 different expressions from maybe 20 distilleries in total, and for each of the 3 nights I was in Glasgow I stopped by this place for a dram or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I'll update the thread with some more details when (feels like "if" at the moment!) I get the time however I'll say now that my little trip around Islay and parts of south west Scotland were incredible, I've learnt so much. I visited 7 distilleries and tried maybe 40 different expressions from maybe 20 distilleries in total, and for each of the 3 nights I was in Glasgow I stopped by this place for a dram or 3.

The Pot Still. One of my most favourite places in the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    The Pot Still. One of my most favourite places in the World!
    Yup, that's the place, and it's now one of my favourites as well!

WIP shot of the current DIY project, should look cool once its finished :)

Still need to add led backlighting (or uplighting, undecided here) and to organise the regions/sectiona a bit better, plus sort the random tat thrown on the top to get it out the way.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    WIP shot of the current DIY project, should look cool once its finished :)

Still need to add led backlighting (or uplighting, undecided here) and to organise the regions/sectiona a bit better, plus sort the random tat thrown on the top to get it out the way.

Wow very impressive collection.

See your a big fan of ardbeg and smws

Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Wow very impressive collection.

See your a big fan of ardbeg and smws
    Thanks
    If i'm honest it shocked me at the number of bottles hidden about the house, (there were a lot of SMWS bottles still carrier bags hidden behind the sofa, clearly bought on nights out and forgotten)
    There's also a few not on display in the lower shelves, like the Yamazaki sherry cask (I really don't want to risk them being knocked off the shelves)

I Personally prefer Laphroig over Ardbeg, with the exception of the Committee release Kelpie which I think is a brilliant dram!
    Laphroig takes up two shelves though (alot of SMWS 29's, and random single cask bottlings of it), I seem to have alot of Longorn too, and alot less peated Buhna's than I thought I had.
    Last edited by endo; 24th September 2019 at 12:25.

I've only tried the ardbeg Uigeadail, An Oa and the regular ardbeg 10yr but I still prefer the Laphroaig 10yr to any of them myself. Not that it's better just prefer the flavour profile of it.

The Connemara 22 yr Peated is my favourite peated bottling to date. Just a shame it's so hard to get hold of now.

I've only tried the ardbeg Uigeadail, An Oa and the regular ardbeg 10yr but I still prefer the Laphroaig 10yr to any of them myself. Not that it's better just prefer the flavour profile of it.

The Connemara 22 yr Peated is my favourite peated bottling to date. Just a shame it's so hard to get hold of now.
    I think it's the same for me when it comes to Ardbeg, there's something about the Laphroig medicinal flavour that I prefer, its definately distinctive! (it's coming up to that time of year that sat indoors with a Laphroig is the best way to spend an evening)
    However that, reminds me need to buy some Ardbeg 10 at some point, wanted a dram of that on the weekend and found I was all out (had a peated Benromach instead)

I need to try a few more Irish whiskeys, I've had a few SMWS Cooleys which I liked so, but that's as far as my adventure has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I think it's the same for me when it comes to Ardbeg, there's something about the Laphroig medicinal flavour that I prefer, its definately distinctive! (it's coming up to that time of year that sat indoors with a Laphroig is the best way to spend an evening)
    However that, reminds me need to buy some Ardbeg 10 at some point, wanted a dram of that on the weekend and found I was all out (had a peated Benromach instead)

I need to try a few more Irish whiskeys, I've had a few SMWS Cooleys which I liked so, but that's as far as my adventure has gone.
    A lot of really good Irish whiskeys out there but a lot of swill too. A few of my favourites would be

Affordable:
    Blenders Dog
    Bushmills 12yr
    Dunvilles Three Crowns Peated
    Redbreast Lustau
    Roe & Co
    Special Occasions:
    Bushmills 16yr
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach
    Redbreast 21 yr
    Teeling 24 yr

Grand Master
    A lot of really good Irish whiskeys out there but a lot of swill too. A few of my favourites would be

Affordable:
    Blenders Dog
    Bushmills 12yr
    Redbreast Lustau
    Roe & Co
    Special Occasions:
    Bushmills 16yr
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach
    Redbreast 21 yr
    Teeling 24 yr
    My all time Favourite has to be Bushmills 21. Indulgent but so good. Always tastes better when someone buys you it too
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    My all time Favourite has to be Bushmills 21. Indulgent but so good. Always tastes better when someone buys you it too
    Nothing better than a whisky bought for you, even more so when it's a top shelf dram

I tried the 21yr side by side with 16yr last year at whisky live in Dublin and there wasn't a whole lot between them, a little more refined maybe but not enough in it for me to justify it being twice the price.

The 16yr was my go too Irish whisky and I always had a bottle in the cupboard when it was around £40 but 2 yrs later is now £80 or £90. A lot more options in that price bracket, unfortunately.

The 12yr distillery version is the sweet spot for me at the moment from the current range, kinda of a mini 16yr and around £40 a bottle reasonable vfm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Giving this a whirl and rather enjoying it.

I remember trying the Rye Malt when I went to the Adnams gin making course. It was a real toss up between that and the Southwold Single Malt in the gift shop but went with the latter in the end.

Enjoy!

Craftsman

Affordable:
    Blenders Dog
    Bushmills 12yr
    Redbreast Lustau
    Roe & Co
    Special Occasions:
    Bushmills 16yr
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach
    Redbreast 21 yr
    Teeling 24 yr

Yellowspot
    Greenspot/ LCB
    Powers John Lane
    Redbreast 12, 16, 21
    jameson 18

All outstanding and only a small selection, to add to your list.
    Redbreast Lustau was good, but Mano A Lamh was outstanding. had 2 bottles of that and drank them. They are going for a few hundred quid now.
    I still dont regret it, they were delicious.

If on a real budget, black bush is outstanding, punches way above its price category. can be had for 22 quid at times in Ireland and it is really quite fantastic.

I missed out on that Mano bottling, lustau is still pretty good. Highland Park dark origins is a similar taste to it but obviously peated. Rather delicious but harder to get hold of now

Complety agree with you, imo no matter the price they are all for opening and enjoying. Anything I buy will be opened at some point.

If anyone is into bourbons this is hard to beat. Absolutely nothing like regular JD no 7, thankfully

one of the darkest looking spirits I've had so far, and mind blowing at 64.5%. Stonking value for about £55 a bottle

Craftsman
    Anyone else managed to win an allocation for the latest Macallan Edition No. 5? Very excited to try it (provided I can bag a second bottle for long term keep)...

PS. If anyone is looking to sell their unopened bottle of Macallan Edition (any number) please let me know. Will put up a WTB also.

While walking round Sainsbury’s I noticed that they had reduced Balvenie 17 double wood is now reduced to £50 from their already cheap £72, considering it’s usually around £90+ online and rumours it’s being discontinued I picked up a couple to sip over the upcoming festive season with the family.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...70cl-7623941-p

This is a genuine belter, and quite punchy with a drop of water. £36!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    This is a genuine belter, and quite punchy with a drop of water. £36!

Sounds very intriguing from the description on the label, plus its non chilled filtered too. Can't go wrong at that price.

Sounds very intriguing from the description on the label, plus its non chilled filtered too. Can't go wrong at that price.
    It’s genuinely brilliant, and 46% which makes it unusual.

A drop of water makes it very ‘full on’ flavour wise; it’s actually nicer neat, in my opinion. (Personal taste, as always).

Just enjoying a wee dram of 15yo Glenfiddich Solera. Not bad at all for a mainstream, nicely sherried, quite smooth. Notes of apple, apricot and elderflower. Typical Glenfiddich flavours on the tongue only more pronounced and a little more complex. Long finish, slightly dry.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Just enjoying a wee dram of 15yo Glenfiddich Solera. Not bad at all for a mainstream, nicely sherried, quite smooth. Notes of apple, apricot and elderflower. Typical Glenfiddich flavours on the tongue only more pronounced and a little more complex. Long finish, slightly dry.
    Yes, also enjoyed a few drams of this...as you say, for it's mainstream nature and price point, I think it is an excellent smooth sherry cask finish tipple

Journeyman
    I’m currently drinking a nice bottle of Isle of Arran 10yo. Very nice

Incidentally has anyone else purchased a bottle of proper 12?!!!

Master
    Just sipping a glass of Hazelburn single malt 13yo, which is very nice. Always have a bottle of Monkey shoulder open too which is a well priced favorite of mine.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Just sipping a glass of Hazelburn single malt 13yo, which is very nice. Always have a bottle of Monkey shoulder open too which is a well priced favorite of mine.
    What’s the price point on those 2 bottles?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    The monkey shoulder is about £25 a bottle but it's usually in most supermarkets so can be cheaper on offer.
    Hazelburn was just over £50 I think which i got after a whisky tasting day out london. The most I've ever spent on a bottle.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    The monkey shoulder is about £25 a bottle but it's usually in most supermarkets so can be cheaper on offer.
    Hazelburn was just over £50 I think which i got after a whisky tasting day out london. The most I've ever spent on a bottle.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
    Nice. I’m not a huge whisky drinker, just a few half’s before bed on the occasional weekend.

I drink neat with a small ice cube added

I picked up the Balblairs (Festival edition, 22yo and Hand bottled edition 13yo) from the the distillery last week and then took a few snaps of what was at the back of the cupboard.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I picked up the Balblairs (Festival edition, 22yo and Hand bottled edition 13yo) from the the distillery last week and then took a few snaps of what was at the back of the cupboard.

Jon, that is one amazing collecting of whiskies - enjoy every dram, I know I would.

I tried a few drams of a 25yrs old Balblair at a whisky festival in the Spring and it was definitely the stand out of the event for me.

Craftsman
    Did anyone else invest in Whisky Hammer (an online auction house) via Crowdcube earlier today? I'm rather excited about having a (very small) share in this business...

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    What’s that....... like - the cost ?

Or something different?