TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Re: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    ice and mint?? are you in advertising?
    highland park should be drunk neat!
    Quote Originally Posted by SD81
    Laphroaig for those special moments. Lovely a peaty with a heavy smokey nose. Not always a good one for beginners, but can be watered down to taste so you can appreciate the depth of this very underrate beauty.

18 year old Highland Park for the rest. Very smooth, sweet but also slightly salty, very very clean tasting with a slight hint of orange. Serves very well with a single ice cube and a mint leaf. 12 year old is also very good.

Oh sod it, I'm going to pour one now..........

Advertising........... I am about as far from advertising as possible but thanks for the compliment. I usually take mine neat but some people often find it nice to experiment. Also, for a novice, it can be quite intimidating trying whiskies so a little water can often let people to look for some of the softer fragrances in the drink without the full power hitting them. I had seen friends of mine quite taken aback with a sip of Laphroaig as it is an enormous hit on their taste buds. After trying it with water they were able to appreciate it better

Grand Master

water is a different story, you SHOULD try all malts, esp cask strength with denatured or bottled water - even a few drops can change the flavour profile a lot. i have a glenlivet nadurra 16yr cask strength which is pretty vicious neat but adding 3 or 4 drops of water softens it and really brings out the subtleties. the original idea behind cask strength is to allow you to decide you own level of dilution. i still prefer the awsome power or laphroaig cask strength neat though! the wife says "why don't you drink dettol and be done with it ":D :?
    Laphroaig for those special moments. Lovely a peaty with a heavy smokey nose. Not always a good one for beginners, but can be watered down to taste so you can appreciate the depth of this very underrate beauty.

18 year old Highland Park for the rest. Very smooth, sweet but also slightly salty, very very clean tasting with a slight hint of orange. Serves very well with a single ice cube and a mint leaf. 12 year old is also very good.

Advertising........... I am about as far from advertising as possible but thanks for the compliment. I usually take mine neat but some people often find it nice to experiment. Also, for a novice, it can be quite intimidating trying whiskies so a little water can often let people to look for some of the softer fragrances in the drink without the full power hitting them. I had seen friends of mine quite taken aback with a sip of Laphroaig as it is an enormous hit on their taste buds. After trying it with water they were able to appreciate it better
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Somebody might want to correct me on this. I recently tried Lagavulin from a giftset my father in law had received, it was one of the small 50ml bottles and we had a dram each.

My god...the stuff was awful and reminded me of liquid tarmac. Is that a true reflection on its taste??

Cheers... but i'll stick to my Bushmills.

Quote Originally Posted by sjstrange
    Lagavulin

My god...the stuff was awful and reminded me of liquid tarmac. Is that a true reflection on its taste??
    That sounds about right. Stick to the Highland malts.

water is a different story, you SHOULD try all malts, esp cask strength with denatured or bottled water - even a few drops can change the flavour profile a lot. i have a glenlivet nadurra 16yr cask strength which is pretty vicious neat but adding 3 or 4 drops of water softens it and really brings out the subtleties. the original idea behind cask strength is to allow you to decide you own level of dilution. i still prefer the awsome power or laphroaig cask strength neat though! the wife says "why don't you drink dettol and be done with it ":D :?

Yep, completely agree with you on the water thing. Its amazing how it transforms a drink. I always get friends to smell the decanters or bottles and decide what they like the smell of and then pour a little in a glass and add a little water to just take the edge off so they can appreciate the gentler smells and tastes. Some people often find it very strange when other people talk about hints of almond, caramel, orange, wood, tea etc so they sometimes just say "its nice" so they dont feel daft. Giving them the water allows them to just delve deeper allowing a less sensitive nose to pick up on something, which is usually the heavier fragrance. When they get it, they start looking deeper and trying different things. Highland Park 18yo is a classic. By trying it with water, the slight salty nature of the whisky comes through which is often masked by not using water.
    Everytime I write this sort of stuff it makes me want to reach for a decanter and pour myself a wee dram. Thinking about it, I dont have to drive anywhere today........right, I'm off to grab a glass!!

Another vote for Talisker from me.

Journeyman

Taliskar is lovely but Laphroig is a favourite, very peaty and smoky, although not to everyones taste..

Yep, completely agree with you on the water thing. Its amazing how it transforms a drink. I always get friends to smell the decanters or bottles and decide what they like the smell of and then pour a little in a glass and add a little water to just take the edge off so they can appreciate the gentler smells and tastes. Some people often find it very strange when other people talk about hints of almond, caramel, orange, wood, tea etc so they sometimes just say "its nice" so they dont feel daft. Giving them the water allows them to just delve deeper allowing a less sensitive nose to pick up on something, which is usually the heavier fragrance. When they get it, they start looking deeper and trying different things. Highland Park 18yo is a classic. By trying it with water, the slight salty nature of the whisky comes through which is often masked by not using water.
    Everytime I write this sort of stuff it makes me want to reach for a decanter and pour myself a wee dram. Thinking about it, I dont have to drive anywhere today........right, I'm off to grab a glass!!
    OK, i've oft read about this add water to whisky to bring out the flavours but just how much do you have to add? A teaspoon's worth or 50/50?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avantgardaclue
    OK, i've oft read about this add water to whisky to bring out the flavours but just how much do you have to add? A teaspoon's worth or 50/50?

thanks
    From a strictly tasting point of view the trick is to start off adding as little as possible. When you add water there's a chemical reaction the happens between the water and the long chain phenol molecules in the whisky (which is what gives whisky its flavour).

If you start with a whisky that's 43-46% you want to add a tiny amount, and then taste to see what (if any) effect it's had. You want to be careful though to keep the alcohol content above 40%. With monster cask strength whiskys (60%+) you'll need to add a bit more.

In short, start off with a few drops, and then you can always add more! Every whisky is different, and you may find your preference also changes with your mood.

PS that's not to say that half and half is wrong. If you like it like that ( :shock: ) then fine.... :roll:

Master

thanks

On a tour of the Glengoyne distillery many years ago I asked the head distiller the very same question. He answered that it was very much down to personal choice but that his rule of thumb was to add as much water as the percentage proof. Therefore 40% proof would have 40% water added.

Over the years I have found that this method is a useful place to start when trying a new whisky.

Sean

Grand Master

don't use tapwater as the added chemicals can taint the whisky. i tend to prefer mine neat, even the cask strengths but with some a few drops really change it and bring out the aromas and gentler tastes that can be masked my the alcohol. glenlivet nadurra is a case in point, on its own its downright overpowering but a few drops of water and it mellows totally.

thanks
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned

i'm very much an islay fan. suggest the caol isla 18 year old - its like angels making love on your tongue.

Grand Master

its on my to try list - as soon as i find it at a decent price! :D next for me is probably a cask strength caol ila or bowmore tempest .
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    i'm very much an islay fan. suggest the caol isla 18 year old - its like angels making love on your tongue.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I tried this over xmas, really smooth and caramel notes, one for people that do not like the taste associated with strong whiskys.

http://www.springbankwhisky.com/hazelburn/

I also popped into this shop on the honeymoon

http://www.lfw.co.uk/

Master

I'm an unsophisticated so and so - I love a Black Label with ice - lovely, golden and caramel. I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtleties of a lot of single malts.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    I'm an unsophisticated so and so - I love a Black Label with ice - lovely, golden and caramel. I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtleties of a lot of single malts.
    That's nonsense. Black Label is actually one of the more sophisticated blends. Don't put yourself down! :)

You should enjoy whisky in the way you want to enjoy it, not in the way somebody who earns a living from their freakishly sensitive olifactory & gustatory senses says you ought to!!

D.

Master

Absolutely right. :D

As the man said, it's all down to personal taste.

Absolutely right, it is down to personal taste :D .

However, setting what you prefer aside, ice can limit the amount of flavour you get from a whisky. You know if you have a crap bottle of white wine. Tastes awful when warm, but if you chill it down to domestic fridge temp (c.4deg) it doesn't taste anywhere near as bad. This is due to the cold effectively 'closing up' the flavour of the wine. That added to the fact that your tongue doesn't particularly like the cold, which causes your taste buds to be dulled down.

So, there's no right answer (unless you want to be bookish - I am but that's because I work in the trade 8) ) and no-one can tell you you're wrong. There's also no such thing (almost) as a bad whisky. Although in my opinion Bell's is pretty awful :shock: .

PS Ardbeg fans out there. Did anyone taste the 1990 Airigh Nam Beist? I've tried it a few times and it's lovely stuff. Didn't realise at the time that it was a limited run, and now it's v. difficult to get :( ...

Master

Cheers Guys - learning a lot from this thread....and don't worry I would never consider adding ice to a single malt!

ho66es

As I receive or purchase whiskies I add them to a section on my gallery http://www.ho66es.org/zenphoto/0001/...0and%20Whisky/. I like both whiskey and whiskey though my heart lies forever in bushmills, but the scent of Islay is always a siren song that needs answered.

this christmas I had a rare treat and 'walked the walk' thanks to my daughter for the blue label to which I added the black green and gold. I loved the individual characters of the blends.

Just finished a botle of Quarter Cask Laphroig which was really nice, on to a bottle of Lagavoulin 16. Which is also great

I like my Islays, have always drunk them neat hough maybe the Quarter Cask could have handeled a few drops of water.

Quote Originally Posted by njr911
    <stuff> maybe the Quarter Cask could have handeled a few drops of water.
    Go on you know you want to :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen
    I still quite like this:

They do quite a nice cask strength as well check out the website

Grand Master

the cask strength is probably my favourite whisky. phenolic, tarry, seaweedy, peaty like being slapped with a bar of coaltar soap in a seamans sock - but in a good way! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen
    I still quite like this:

They do quite a nice cask strength as well check out the website
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

like being slapped with a bar of coaltar soap in a seamans sock - but in a good way! :D
    Brilliant - they should use this in their marketing! :lol:

It's been a long day today, relaxing with a Glenfiddich 21 year old havana reserve at the moment.

Grand Master

really want to try that! ever see it on offer anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    It's been a long day today, relaxing with a Glenfiddich 21 year old havana reserve at the moment.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

dalwhinnie 15yr tonite. gentle but with a deceptive heathery/peaty drift at the end...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

really want to try that! ever see it on offer anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    It's very, very good. Unfortunately just about to pour myself the last glass of the bottle :( . Not seen any offers on it but if anybody else has i'd like to know! Think it's been rebranded recently.

Master

dalwhinnie 15yr tonite. gentle but with a deceptive heathery/peaty drift at the end...
    Nooooo! Don't resurrect this topic - not now. I've just finished my last drop of Talisker and there is no more malt anywhere in the house :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grand Master

i have 14 bottles here....including talisker 18yr :drunken: :D
    Quote Originally Posted by andybee33
    Nooooo! Don't resurrect this topic - not now. I've just finished my last drop of Talisker and there is no more malt anywhere in the house :cry: :cry: :cry:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Lagavulin Distillers Edition for me. Simpley adore the stuff :drunken:

Got several bottles stashed away at the moment as well as a couple on the go. Got 3 of the previous 2 editions each and 1 open and 1 sealed of the latest batch. Also got a Talisker, Highland Park and Oban DE on the go at the moment.

I have given myself a policy, that everytime I buy a bottle, I buy 2. One to drink and one to put down. When the first is drunk, if its still available I buy 2 more, else save the 2nd for a special occasion. It seems to be working, but meens I shell out a little more than I should on booze.

Good job I dont have the same policy with watches!

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave
    Lagavulin Distillers Edition for me. Simpley adore the stuff :drunken:
    One of the best I think :D . I've got a few in the house, but the special one is an unopened Ardbeg 17yo 8). Saving it for a special occasion - birth of first child maybe...

Craftsman

Just got a bottle of Johnny Walker "Swing."

Not a whiskey drinker, but what do you guys think of that one-good place to start?

Chris

Master

Have just realised that this thread is really about the Irish stuff! No self respecting Scotsman would ever drink his whisky with an "e" :lol:

Has anyone tried the new english whisky being made in Norfolk yet?

I've just read this thread, how spooky that it should be bumped just as I post a thread asking for whisky advice. :lol:

I think I have a shortlist of 3 or 4 to look for in Tescos now. :)

Grand Master

it really depends on your tastebuds. if you like something mellow and heathery try a glenlivet 12yr old or if you can find it 15 yr old french oak reserve. for something that can be picked up pretty cheap and is more robust and sherryish try arbelour 10 y o , if you want to try something seaweedy and peatry bowmore legend is a gentle introduction. if you feel brave and and want to jump in a the deep end try laphroaig!
    Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    Just got a bottle of Johnny Walker "Swing."

Not a whiskey drinker, but what do you guys think of that one-good place to start?

Chris
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

This thread makes for very interesting reading. It took me a long time to appreciate Whiskey. I persevered because I hate the thought of not being able to appreciate things that others can (with the exception of ballet, I can live with not 'getting' that).

I got there in the end and fell Speysides and Tamnavullin 12 year old as my favourite tipple. Unfortunately, the distillery got mothballed in 1996, so prices will only ever increase, but for those of you who prefer the lighter, more floral style of Speysides, it's worth seeking out.

Speyside aside, The younger Arran Malts make for very easy drinking for those who are struggling to come to terms with Whiskey.

Gary

I've just been reminded while reading this again about Rosebank. I always thought the lowland whiskies were a bit 'tame' if you know what I mean. Good, but not particularly interesting (to my palate anyway). Then I tried Rosebank. It's stunning stuff, and for all you whisky drinkers out there I'd def. recommend you try it at some point. Triple distilled, which is unusual for Scotland (Auchentoshan being the only example still in production), but still with plenty of character. You can still find independent bottlings around for less than £50 but it closed in '93 so they'll only go up in price.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Holtom
    Has anyone tried the new english whisky being made in Norfolk yet?
    Is that one called "Norfolk and Good"? :D

Re: Whisky...

Bruichladdich Rocks at the moment. Quite mild to my palate,
    but then I do like an Ardbeg :lol: :lol: :lol:
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master

Re: Whisky...

had a very large sample of my mates ardbeg uigidiall or however you spell it the other night whilst watching leeds united v spurs. rounded off a good night quite nicely! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    Bruichladdich Rocks at the moment. Quite mild to my palate,
    but then I do like an Ardbeg :lol: :lol: :lol:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Shock as Taiwanese whisky defeats Scottish rivals to win single malt taste test

Jan 26 2010 By Keith McLeod

A WHISKY from Taiwan beat three different Scotch single malts in a blind taste test held by experts.

Kavalan, which has only been distilled since 2008, emerged as the winner to the astonishment of the judging panel in Edinburgh.

When the winner was announced, one judge, whisky connoisseur Charles MacLean, gasped: "Oh, God. Is this an April fool?"
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-21995756/

Grand Master

just been to waitrose and picked up bowmore 12yr £19.99 and glenlivet 15year french oak reserve £22.49 bargain! :D :bounce:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Have'nt tried water yet, but I'll give it a go this weekend when I come off call. The Glenfiddich is calling :drunken:

It's funny you mentioned The Glenlivet 15 year French Oak Reserve. I bought a bottle last week and just opened it tonight. Really smooth. I think it would be a great way to get started for a scotch newbie. Note that is very delicate and lacks a lot of smoke and peat. If you follow it up with a heavy hitter like Laphroaig, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. Dalwhinnie is a 15 introduces some more smoke and complexity, and lacks the iodine/phenol/peat punch of the Islays. Those two may be a good one-two intro to single malts.

Grand Master

tried an experiment last night, as a possible precursor to trying a bottle of a vatted malt called doublebarrel. i used a 50% measure or laphroaig 10yr and 50% macallan excelsior 12yr old, stuck them in a decanter to mingle for an hour or two, and then drannk. the result? smoky, oak, sherryish and sweet, and then a massive sweet treacle toffee kick with huge smoke in the finish. intruiging! :D
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries

Love the peaty, smokey stuff from Islay, so the usual suspects...

Laphraoig
    Talisker
    Lagavulin

Current fave...

ARDBEG
    Ardbeg Single Islay Malt stands alone as the most delicate and complex of all the Islay malts. Its strength is that it does not flaunt the peat; rather it gives way to the malt, the natural sweetness of which subtly intrudes and produces the perfect balance. And balance is the key. All Islay malts are special, but only Ardbeg has achieved such effortless harmony which sets it apart from the rest.
    Give it a try

Which one though? ;)

I've got a case or so of Renaissance and a few bottles of the Uigedal - not going to be opening those though, they're my 'safe queens' :)