closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Re: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands
    Recently I've been drinking Yamazaki 18 y/o. Really lovely stuff, their 12 y/o is also high recommended;

I fancy trying this-where can you get it from,do any high st. outlets sell it? Ideally id like to just go in a shop locally and buy it!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    After nearly 3 years off the booze, back with style :thumbup:

Given to me about 4/5 years ago, and just opened - wow, it's strong!
    that sir. is probably one of the best batches ever released!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Picked up some 18yr old Glennfiddich in Las Vegas last week, but haven't had a chance to break the seal yet :evil:

I sampled six rather special whiskeys last Saturday and bought two of them

Both are Sherry Gorda's, which imparts an unusual light strawberry colour to the whiskies; yet both are very different. The descriptions on the labels are interesting and quite accurate. I was worried about the 'matchboxes' on the 30.68 as I thought there may be a little sulphur in it; but when I sampled it there was no trace, fortunately - so I bought it. Limited out-turn of just over 500 bottles each IIRC.

Two to savour, slowly. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh!!!!!
    send me a glass pleeeeaaazzzzeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I sampled six rather special whiskeys last Saturday and bought two of them

Both are Sherry Gorda's, which imparts an unusual light strawberry colour to the whiskies; yet both are very different. The descriptions on the labels are interesting and quite accurate. I was worried about the 'matchboxes' on the 30.68 as I thought there may be a little sulphur in it; but when I sampled it there was no trace, fortunately - so I bought it. Limited out-turn of just over 500 bottles each IIRC.

Two to savour, slowly. :)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

On the whisky front, celebrated World Whisky Day with some of this:

World Whisky Day by Noodlefish, on Flickr

On the whiskey front, have been enjoying a couple of interesting tipples, pairing bourbons with bitters as a base for an Old Fashioned. Probably got 15-18 kinds of bitters now, from Bittercube through to Bokers. The Bittercube Blackstrap gives a delicious molasses note, for example, to a Woodford OF.

Anyway, we were talking about whiskey: Four Roses Single Barrel OBSO from the Binny's Handpicked range in Chicago. The OBSO reflects the recipe of the bourbon - O = produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY, B = The mashbill that is 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley, S = straight whiskey distillation, O = Yeast strain used to create flavor characteristics. It's fruity with some spice. I rather like it neat, but it does make an excellent - if extravagent Ol' Fashioned.

Also been trying one of the Buffalo Trace "Experimental Collection" range - the Oat Bourbon Whiskey. Interesting stuff - slightly smokey, quite sour on the palette with a slightly earthy finish. One blogger (John Hansell on Whisky Advocate) hated it - "Don't buy this whiskey!" was his headline... hey ho. It's certainly an interesting bourbon, with a certain greeness to it which is not unpleasant, just unusual.

Buffalo Trace Experimental by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Tried some Johnny Walker double black at the airport recently...& was very pleasantly surprised.

z

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands
    Recently I've been drinking Yamazaki 18 y/o. Really lovely stuff, their 12 y/o is also high recommended;

I fancy trying this-where can you get it from,do any high st. outlets sell it? Ideally id like to just go in a shop locally and buy it!
    I have ordered a Yamazaki 12y/o and am looking forward to it landing,I didn't want to chuck a ton at the 18y/o at the mo.so I will have to make do!
    Anyone here tried the 12y/o? Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad
    I have ordered a Yamazaki 12y/o and am looking forward to it landing,I didn't want to chuck a ton at the 18y/o at the mo.so I will have to make do!
    Anyone here tried the 12y/o? Thoughts anyone?
    One of my favourites :drunken: :drunken:

A past post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marios
    Japanese whiskeys are really hitting the spot for me lately. Having covered most of the Yamazaki offerings ( :drunken: :drunken: ), I've been indulging in whiskeys from another Suntory distillery, Hakushu. Tried the 10yo and the 12yo single malts so far. No complaints :)

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk

Indeed, I wish I had a manpower to keep a bottle :D

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    On the whisky front, celebrated World Whisky Day with some of this:

World Whisky Day by Noodlefish, on Flickr

On the whiskey front, have been enjoying a couple of interesting tipples, pairing bourbons with bitters as a base for an Old Fashioned. Probably got 15-18 kinds of bitters now, from Bittercube through to Bokers. The Bittercube Blackstrap gives a delicious molasses note, for example, to a Woodford OF.

Anyway, we were talking about whiskey: Four Roses Single Barrel OBSO from the Binny's Handpicked range in Chicago. The OBSO reflects the recipe of the bourbon - O = produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY, B = The mashbill that is 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley, S = straight whiskey distillation, O = Yeast strain used to create flavor characteristics. It's fruity with some spice. I rather like it neat, but it does make an excellent - if extravagent Ol' Fashioned.

Also been trying one of the Buffalo Trace "Experimental Collection" range - the Oat Bourbon Whiskey. Interesting stuff - slightly smokey, quite sour on the palette with a slightly earthy finish. One blogger (John Hansell on Whisky Advocate) hated it - "Don't buy this whiskey!" was his headline... hey ho. It's certainly an interesting bourbon, with a certain greeness to it which is not unpleasant, just unusual.

Buffalo Trace Experimental by Noodlefish, on Flickr
    Corry is my favourite atm, managed to pick up a bottle of Blasda in d/f, very drinkable but nowhere near the complexity of the Corryvreckan :drunken:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

im slowly figuring out what i like after a few years.

most recent bottles for me were an 18 yo glenfiddich as a leaving present from work, a 16 yo abelour as a moving in present to myself (which is blooming well delicious) and a bottle of the 10 yo jura.

also received some woodford reserve yesterday as a gift which as bourbon goes, is excellent.

Grand Master

tonight, when i get in from work at 4am :shock: my night cap will be a dram of Talisker 18 yo
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

bought a bootle of Glenlivet 18 for £30 inc vat in costco

Banned

Well I've just bought a bottle of Glenlivet Guardians Single Cask Edition, which is for investment! ;)

I've been going through some 10yr old Ardbeg :drunken:

Journeyman

Hail to the best whiskey on the block! Great Value for Money and one of the richest tasting whiskey out there!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses

Hail to the best whiskey on the block! Great Value for Money and one of the richest tasting whiskey out there!
    I actually use that one to slow the father in law down, the auld bollox drinks all me whiskey but after a few that blows the head clean off him. too strong to be honest.....much prefer a nice 14YO Inverarity Ancestral or an 18YO Glenlivet :wink:

Anyone tried this yet?

Ardbeg Day by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11839.aspx

was recently given a bottle of this baby for my 50th ,but unlike our freind rod in the reveiw won't be sharing it with anybody. :D
    the finish is something else it hit,s the stomch with a loverly warm feeling then again and again and again.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nutjob1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramses

I actually use that one to slow the father in law down, the auld bollox drinks all me whiskey but after a few that blows the head clean off him. too strong to be honest.....much prefer a nice 14YO Inverarity Ancestral or an 18YO Glenlivet :wink:
    wouldn't work with me, it's in my top three or four malts of all time! :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Found this down on Pg 12 :shock: Has everyone stopped drinking :?:

Anyway, last night I cracked open a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength - which was very rich but did something I've never done before, I cut it with some water, and it was delicious :drunken:

Also, treated myself to a bottle of Jack Daniels Select bottling which the buyer at my local liqour store selected - the company bought a barrel and had it bottled exclusively :drunken:

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    Found this down on Pg 12 :shock: Has everyone stopped drinking :?:

Anyway, last night I cracked open a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength - which was very rich but did something I've never done before, I cut it with some water, and it was delicious :drunken:

Also, treated myself to a bottle of Jack Daniels Select bottling which the buyer at my local liqour store selected - the company bought a barrel and had it bottled exclusively :drunken:
    Binny's by any chance? It's a shame that we don't seem to get anyone in the UK doing the same thing. I have some Single Barrel Four Roses from Binny's - but I see they do a lot of hand-picked stuff. Might just be marketing, but it's interesting to see. They also appear to have picked up some "proper" whisky from their trip to Scotland in the Spring.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Binny's by any chance? It's a shame that we don't seem to get anyone in the UK doing the same thing. I have some Single Barrel Four Roses from Binny's - but I see they do a lot of hand-picked stuff. Might just be marketing, but it's interesting to see. They also appear to have picked up some "proper" whisky from their trip to Scotland in the Spring.
    , my local liquor store is Crowfoot Liqour Store and their buyer went down and selected a barrel for the chain - they have numerous stores scattered around Calgary. Comes in a nice bottle with a pewter hang tag with the bottle number on 8)

The other really good whiskey supplier is the Co-Op. Both Crowfoot liqour and Co-Op have their signature stores in the Crowfoot area which is 5mins drive from my house :wink: and both have fabulous entertaining areas with regular tasting nights - beer, wine, spirits and food pairings :)

I know this is a whiskey thread but has any one tried HINE Cognac any pionters on taste etc I need to buy a gift for my brother in law when I got to visit him so I'm thinking of giving him this with a couple of cuban cigars to celebrate the birth of my second nephew

I was recently gifted some 'American Honey'.
    Interesting stuff.

Master
    I've literally drunk my last drop of whiskey tonight - which is a sad state of affairs as I had five different ones open last month.

My everyday choice is Laphroaig 10 and I love Lagavulin 16. Can someone recommend me something along either of those lines for a bit of a change?

Two of my favourites there. Laphroaig quarter cask is lovely and a change from the 10yr. Caol ila is another I love and I'm sure you will too. There's also the caol ila moch if you see it anywhere.

Caol Ila Moch tends to be found in waitrose... my other half bought me home a bottle when it was half price recently! Not too bad for a punt really... although 10 yo Jura still a favourite!

jimmyblade
    Im half way through a bottle of Glen Moray and im very impressed for the money, £17 from aldi.

Ive just ventured out and bagged a bottle of Ardbeg - highly recommended if you like your Islays
    Last edited by geordie; 10th August 2012 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I've literally drunk my last drop of whiskey tonight - which is a sad state of affairs as I had five different ones open last month.

My everyday choice is Laphroaig 10 and I love Lagavulin 16. Can someone recommend me something along either of those lines for a bit of a change?

I love the Islay's, but I can heartily recommend the current batch of Longrow CV as a reasonably priced Campbletown take on peated whisky ...... If you don't like it I'd be surprised!

Master
    Some good thoughts there. Thanks.

Grand Master
    Ardbeg 10 Y.O. here - 1litre bottle bought at Krakow airport for £27 - bargain!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I'm drinking Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 year old this evening and it's rather nice. Smooth, long lasting flavour that makes your mouth "water" but not in a rancid after taste sort of way ;-)

Master

Talisker - have tried many bit keep coming back to it as it has such a lovely and unusual flavour.

Craftsman
    Laphroaig was what originally got me into whiskey, and I do still enjoy that now and again. I must say though, on a regular night I don't think there's much better than settling down with a bit of Bruichladdich Rocks, very nice indeed!

Journeyman
    I was holding off posting on this thread, but I just have to offer thanks for the immense plethora of good ideas I've taken from it :)

Up until now I've been enjoying the various Ardbegs - Almost There, Aligator and the standard 10 year, but this thread has gotten me a great deal more excited about the many Japanese variants of Whisky.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    I love the Islay's, but I can heartily recommend the current batch of Longrow CV as a reasonably priced Campbletown take on peated whisky ...... If you don't like it I'd be surprised!
    Visited Springbank a few weeks ago. Most impressive. Came away with a bottle of Rundlets & Kilderkins and some of their Export Strength Old Raj gin.

Very much enjoyed the Glengyle / Kilkerran story too.

Springbank Distillery by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Glengyle Stills by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Two of my favourites there. Laphroaig quarter cask is lovely and a change from the 10yr. Caol ila is another I love and I'm sure you will too. There's also the caol ila moch if you see it anywhere.
    I'm a big fan of the quarter cask and Caol ila as well. Both lovely whiskeys.

Haven't tried caol ila moch - and don't remember having seen it either. Will be keeping my eye out - thanks for the tip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I'm drinking Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 year old this evening and it's rather nice. Smooth, long lasting flavour
    Well played, my favourite whiskey so far - but have lots more to try

Master
    Well I managed to pick up some Adelphi 18 year old Liddesdale and it is cracking.

The tasting notes describe it as freshly oiled deck chairs by the sea; homemade tablet laced with madeira and dried fruits with a smooth and sweet treacle-toffee finish. I don't get the deckchairs comment, but the rest sums it up nicely.

Craftsman
    I just recently picked up a small bottle of Glenlivet 12 y/o for a good price at Sainsbury..very easy to drink, almost a little fruity. Not bad for a regular drink this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCowley View Post
    I just recently picked up a small bottle of Glenlivet 12 y/o for a good price at Sainsbury..very easy to drink, almost a little fruity. Not bad for a regular drink this one.
    can't go wrong with Glenlivet

Try the 18 year old - really smooth and a favourite of mine.... every so often Tesco have it on offer at about £38. Picked a bottle up in Costo on Thursday night for £33 inc the VAT which is a serious bargain....so if you have a Costco card check it out

Asda this week have lagavulin 16 on offer for £35 which is frankly giving it away. Fabulous stuff, bag a bottle if you can.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    can't go wrong with Glenlivet

Try the 18 year old - really smooth and a favourite of mine.... every so often Tesco have it on offer at about £38. Picked a bottle up in Costo on Thursday night for £33 inc the VAT which is a serious bargain....so if you have a Costco card check it out
    A friend of mine also recommended the 15 and 18 .....will have to polish off this 12 and go hunting :)

I think alongside Bruchladdich its found a place as a favourite of mine

Grand Master
    My 43rd birthday yesterday, 12 yo highland park as a prezzie....I'd forgotten how nice this malt is!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Jura is currently my favourite that can be had from the local coop. I've also been enjoying the older Yamazaki, oddly enough. Lovely hint of vanilla an age after you take a sip. Japanese whisky - makes a change!

Craftsman
    Bruichladdich Rocks came top in a recent tasting, the bottles in the picture are in order of preference (it was an enjoyable afternoon's research). To be fair the only one we didn't like was Big Peat, which is almost undrinkable:

Not a bad effort

If I tasted a measure of each of mine I'd have drunk more than a bottle!