closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 83 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Grand Master

Re: Whiskey

have a good read through this thread but try Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Caol Ila for serious peat, Bowmore is slightly less peaty but most versions esp the 12 are well balanced, Bruichladdich do everything from totally unpeated to Octomore - the most peated whisky ever released! Bunahabbhain(?) is much much lighter than the others but still has a very light smoky drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by davey111
    Big fan of Laphroig, love the peaty taste. Would liek to try a few other similar ones though (would I be right in thinking Islay Malts have all have similar qualities), if anyone has any recomendations...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    have a good read through this thread but try Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Caol Ila for serious peat, Bowmore is slightly less peaty but most versions esp the 12 are well balanced, Bruichladdich do everything from totally unpeated to Octomore - the most peated whisky ever released! Bunahabbhain(?) is much much lighter than the others but still has a very light smoky drift.
    Big fan of Laphroig, love the peaty taste. Would liek to try a few other similar ones though (would I be right in thinking Islay Malts have all have similar qualities), if anyone has any recomendations...
    Ardmore Traditional Cask, Jura Prophecy, and Talisker are also fairly peaty, if you're looking to try something peaty that's not from Islay.
    Cheers!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Gethin
    Bruichladdich, one of the lighter Islay's. I like it that much I've got a barrel sat in their warehouse; it was nine years old last week. It will be quite a party this time next year :drunken:
    Good man!

Talisker remains my favourite.. and my whiskey stocks are low at the moment - Apart from talisker can anyone recommend something of the ilk I may enjoy more?

Gents,

I require some help and some suggestions. I have spent the last six weeks on bed rest in hospital. As someone who used to play several sports and spend a vast amount of time being active this has had me climbing the walls. At the ripe old age of 33 I have broken my hip, normally I would have been operated on within 24 hours but they found a whole load of tumours in my femur. Anyway after two weeks and two biopsy's these were found to be benign :D All told it has been fairly shite! I've been numbing the pain by preparing for the fact i can't play Rugby and Football and buying stuff for its replacements sports....Hello Mssrs Ping and Ribble! Anyway all this rambling has to lead somewhere and here it is, I love my Whisky and I want to order a special bottle for me to return to when I get out in a week! I want to really focus on the Islay region so has anyone had anything really special of late? I'm setting a two hundred quid limit.

Cheers, Ben.

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Ardbeg. They only recently announced some 'Specials' - which fall well within your £200 budget. Could buy a couple ;)

Uigeadail has quite a following

http://www.ardbeg.com/shop/product/whis ... adail.html

Hope you're on the mend soon

z

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    Ardmore Traditional Cask, Jura Prophecy, and Talisker are also fairly peaty, if you're looking to try something peaty that's not from Islay.
    Cheers!
    Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'm going to start trying to buy a bottle each month next year with the plan to organincally grow a collection rather than splashing out on loads of bottles that I then never try. It looks like I have the start of a great shopping list :)

Thanks Zelig had a quick look at your link and Uigeadail has been duly ordered, just the one bottle for the moment but we'll see how we go.

Blog Entries

I know the heading says whiskey - but I can't help adding some wisky to the recommendation list. After a recent holiday to west Scotland I can highly recommend all these pictured but my favourite is Dalmore. Very smooth and rich.

All the best
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman

Not quite a malt, but Jamesons is definately one for me with a little ice and water - cause Im cultured like that!!

Craftsman

Scapa

harder to find
    but Fantastic

I have developed a scientific approach to whisky selection,I simply buy what ever single malt is on offer at Asda!
    So having polished off the last of my Jura last night, todays new offering is- The Glenlivet 12 year old.
    On at £20 a bottle,not tried it yet I am looking forward to a drop in a bit! 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad
    I have developed a scientific approach to whisky selection,I simply buy what ever single malt is on offer at Asda!
    So having polished off the last of my Jura last night, todays new offering is- The Glenlivet 12 year old.
    On at £20 a bottle,not tried it yet I am looking forward to a drop in a bit! 8)
    :lol:

I used to do that as well when I was in the UK - nowadays though, it is what is recommended by the in-store whiskey expert at Co-Op :)

Here's a few recs for you guys at a few different price points.

Laphroaig Triple Wood. New, no age statement. I had not tried it before the other night and it did not disappoint. Well balanced peat with sweet smoke, oranges?, grass, sweet malt, and of course iodine and the briny finish. Tasted older and more balanced than it should for it's age. Nice.

Dalmore 18. It starts out as classic Dalmore, nice balance, a hint of tobacco smoke, orange peel, smooth, but a couple drops of water and the nose explodes. Great! Of note the Dalmore King Alexander III also exploded with a couple drops of water, but in a bad way, it got very winey and disappointing. The undiluted was far better. Not worth the extra money over the 18. The 18 is worth it for the nose alone.

Balvenie 17yr Peated Cask. I always like this one. Clean and tasty classic Balvenie profile with some light peat smoke and ash across the tongue and lingering in the finish, very subtle. If you don't like the heavy peat, but like some smoke, this is a good place to go. It was released in 2010, and is limited, so- now or never.

Laphroaig 25. Everything you want in Laphroaig at cask strength, but the peat heat is a bit mellowed and allows for subtle aromas and flavor to percolate through. Don't get me wrong, it's still a heavy medicine and peat, but there's a lot going on behind the scenes. This got some bad reviews, but I'm not sure why. It's excellent, complex, and still classic Laphroaig. It used to be 40% ABV, but at reformulated cask strength, it delivers.

Cheers!

Grand Master

thanks for the notes on the triple wood, it's on my xmas list! hoping waitrose will start to stock it soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
    Here's a few recs for you guys at a few different price points.

Laphroaig Triple Wood. New, no age statement. I had not tried it before the other night and it did not disappoint. Well balanced peat with sweet smoke, oranges?, grass, sweet malt, and of course iodine and the briny finish. Tasted older and more balanced than it should for it's age. Nice.

Dalmore 18. It starts out as classic Dalmore, nice balance, a hint of tobacco smoke, orange peel, smooth, but a couple drops of water and the nose explodes. Great! Of note the Dalmore King Alexander III also exploded with a couple drops of water, but in a bad way, it got very winey and disappointing. The undiluted was far better. Not worth the extra money over the 18. The 18 is worth it for the nose alone.

Balvenie 17yr Peated Cask. I always like this one. Clean and tasty classic Balvenie profile with some light peat smoke and ash across the tongue and lingering in the finish, very subtle. If you don't like the heavy peat, but like some smoke, this is a good place to go. It was released in 2010, and is limited, so- now or never.

Laphroaig 25. Everything you want in Laphroaig at cask strength, but the peat heat is a bit mellowed and allows for subtle aromas and flavor to percolate through. Don't get me wrong, it's still a heavy medicine and peat, but there's a lot going on behind the scenes. This got some bad reviews, but I'm not sure why. It's excellent, complex, and still classic Laphroaig. It used to be 40% ABV, but at reformulated cask strength, it delivers.

Cheers!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Lagavulin, if I can afford it, or Laphroaig, if I can't: both from Sainsbury's. Any age. Both with a good dash of water: bottled, if there's any in the kitchen; 'corporation pop', if there ain't.

And yes, like many Isla drinkers, I like Armagnac, too. Janneau is fine.

Laphroig for me, Ardbeg and Lagavulin are good, but a bit pricey for me. Laphroig quarter cask is better than the standard 10yr if you can find it cheap, currently on offer at Morrisons, but for me the best has to be Laphroig cask strength, makes the standard 10year task empty and hollow in comparison.

Brighty

Ardbeg is the way forward sooooooooooo smooth

Master

Quote Originally Posted by perpetualman
    Ardbeg is the way forward sooooooooooo smooth
    Very fond of Ardbeg myself having tried it for the first time recently.

If anyone's interested Asda have a decent sale on a lot of their whiskeys just now, I picked up Ardmore (which I'm also partial to) for £23 for the bottle as opposed to the £31 it usually is around here! Had quite a selection of nice malts at between £5 - £8 off per bottle

I noticed Waitrose have a £10 discount on the Aberlour A'bunadh, making it around £24ish which is superb value for this cask strength single malt.

Gary

Master

Quote Originally Posted by galewis
    I noticed Waitrose have a £10 discount on the Aberlour A'bunadh, making it around £24ish which is superb value for this cask strength single malt.

Gary
    Yep. Been that price a couple of weeks now. My bottle is steadily depleting as it is lovely. I find it has a real cognac sense to it.

Craftsman

It's a real shame that I can't stand the taste of Whisky as my wife works for Grants and is always coming home with bottles of all different ones, some are apparently rare etc :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws
    It's a real shame that I can't stand the taste of Whisky as my wife works for Grants and is always coming home with bottles of all different ones, some are apparently rare etc :roll:
    Perhaps, in due course, we'll see a few of these bottles on the SC?

Craftsman

Best give it to me then.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    Perhaps, in due course, we'll see a few of these bottles on the SC?
    At the rate I post on TZ they'll have gone off before I get onto SC :lol:

Master

Lagavulin 16 - best bang for your buck (or quid) IMHO.

Craftsman

Glenlivit 18yo
    Talisker 17yo ( I think.......it's finished!)
    inverarity
    Bushmills Malt (all of them)
    Black Bush
    Aberlour
    A'bunadh (60.5%)

Thaw about it ATM!

That's a real shame alright! All my wife brings home is the groceries, I have to go get (and pay for) the whisky myself!

Master

Does your wife like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti
    Does your wife like it?
    That's rather a personal question isn't it? :lol:

Craftsman

Does your wife like it?

She's actually coming round to it with all the tastings they do....but she wouldn't drink it over vodka

Heads Up for Aldi 24th November
    24 yr old highland single malt "Glen Marnoch" £29.99
    &
    Irish whiskey selection, 4x5cl @£9.99 = Connemara, Tyrconnel, Kilbeggan and Greenore.
    Should be worth a punt 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    Interesting, worth a punt if you can get your hands on a bottle of the 40yr old. I'll be making a note in my diary, thanks for the heads up.

I placed a order with these guys today http://www.masterofmalt.com/
    ordered some samples I am unlikely to ever buy bottles of.

Dalmore Mackenzie was cracked open on sunday to celebrate my boy's first birthday,absolutley superb dram :D

Master

Dads Christmas present sorted!!!

1x... 101 Whiskies to Try Before you Die (book)
    1x... Laphroaig (quarter cask)

Looking forward to tasting it too. :lol:

Picked up a bottle of JOHNNIE WALKER GREEN LABEL tonight in Tesco for £20.80, never tried it before...roll on Friday night. :drunken:

Grand Master

Lidl have an 18yr old speyside single malt in at £19.99 , american oak matured so probably bourbon casked, i'm guessing it'll be along the lines of Tamnavulin - they bought a lot of their stock when it was mothballed several years ago. i'll report back when i open it!
    they were also advertising the Maxwell 28 year old at £34.99 but my local branch was out. i tried this earlier in the year and whilst it wasn't earth shattering for the age, you would struggle to find anything close in age and quality for under £100. oaky, malty, toffeeish, i suspect it is was from one of the closed Highland distilleries.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries

Just paid over £13 for a shot of Lagavulin 16yo in Stockholm :(
    But it was nice :)
    z

Re: Whiskey Offers Galore!

Whiskey Offers Galore!

Saw this and just had to share, shamelessly borrowed from HotUKDeals:

ASDA
    Isle of Jura Single 10 Year Old Malt Whisky (700ml) £27.97 (£21.95) £20.00
    Singleton of Dufftown Single Malt (700ml) £32.57 (£27.95) £20.00
    Asda also has Old Pulteney at £20

SAINSBURYS
    Glenfiddich Rich Oak 14 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml) £34.31 (£32.75) £25.00
    Talisker Single Malt Whisky Aged 10 Years (700ml) £31.99 (£27.75) £20.00

TESCO
    Glenmorangie Single Highland Malt Whisky Aged 10 Years (1L) £42.29 (N/A) £28.00
    Glenmorangie Single Highland Malt Whisky Aged 10 Years (700ml) £27.00 (£25.95) £20.00
    Isle of Jura Single 10 Year Old Malt Whisky (700ml) £28.29 (£21.95) £20.00
    Isle of Jura Single Malt Whisky Superstition (700ml) £30.99 (£26.95) £20.00
    The Glenlivet Single Malt Whisky Aged 12 Years (700ml) £29.29 (£25.25) £20.00
    Tesco had Johnny Walker Green Label reduced to £20.80

Morrisons also have 70cl of Jack Daniels for £15 if that helps anyone

Also don't forget the Aldi 40 year old for £50 deal coming up next Thursday if you can get one:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...et-whisky-wars

Hope that this helps and we don't all end up alcoholics after reading :drunken: :drunken:

Grand Master

if anyone can get to an aldi next thursday morning (i'm working 6am-6pm) please pm me!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Yeah. I picked up a Botttle of Talisker at Sainsbury yesterday - £20. Fantastic!

Slainte

Master

It's been a whiskey afternoon for me. Yamazaki 12 followed by Hibiki 17 year old.

Hibiki's lovely!

Grand Master

So if I was going to try one and one only and I have a sweet tooth! What should it be?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    So if I was going to try one and one only and I have a sweet tooth! What should it be?
    The Cock O' The North is quite nice.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    The Cock O' The North is quite nice.
    Id rather have a whiskey though
    RIAC

Master

But you'd consider a cock? :D

:lol: :lol: if you like Isley variety apparently Argbeg Blasda is quite sweet.. Considering it myself atm.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

In terms of "proper" whiskey for a sweet(ish) tooth on a budget, a Glenmorangie 10 with a drop of water is not a bad starting point in my humble opinion.

In terms of "proper" whiskey for a sweet(ish) tooth on a budget, a Glenmorangie 10 with a drop of water is not a bad starting point in my humble opinion.
    I agree 100% :thumbleft: