closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Grand Master

Re: Whiskey

tescoes has 18 year old glenlivet at £31!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

arbelour 10 year old!

Craftsman

This is just soooooo smmmooooooth and drinkable....too much 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2589.aspx

It all depends on what cigar I'm smoking :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Latest: a rather nice Lagavulin 12yo, 30yo Linlithgow (St Magdalene) bottled in '73 and a Coal Ila 8yo bottled at 59.4% earlier this year...

Get down to the show at the Whisky Exchange in October if you can...
    How you finding the Lagavulin 12? Easily my favourite distiller, but there prices seem to be rising as fast as Omega and Rolex. Wish I had bought some of the 30 year old, my birth year whiskey :), when it was first released as its tripled in price over the last few years!

Currently got lots on the go, but finished off the Glenlivet Nadurra last night. Thankfully got another sitting there for the future, as it was a lovely tipple.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Latest: a rather nice Lagavulin 12yo, 30yo Linlithgow (St Magdalene) bottled in '73 and a Coal Ila 8yo bottled at 59.4% earlier this year...

Get down to the show at the Whisky Exchange in October if you can...
    How you finding the Lagavulin 12? Easily my favourite distiller, but there prices seem to be rising as fast as Omega and Rolex. Wish I had bought some of the 30 year old, my birth year whiskey :), when it was first released as its tripled in price over the last few years!

Currently got lots on the go, but finished off the Glenlivet Nadurra last night. Thankfully got another sitting there for the future, as it was a lovely tipple.
    Tried these at a tasting the other week with Colin Dunn- was tempted by the Magdalene, I must admit. The Caol Ila was bonkers - he'd nicked it straight from the barrel... if you can get to the show next weekend, do. The Dream Drams will be incredible. Probably the only change to drink from the £1000-£3000+ per bottle range...

I do like the Nadurra, but currently finding that a rotation of Alligator, Nikka Black and Lagavulin 16 is getting us through most days.

Obviously, the Chase, Smoked and Marmalade Vodka all help. As does the 60% ABV Blackwoods. Oh, and the homemade (home infused) rhubarb gin. Plus the Sacred gin. Homemade licorice and chilli vodka and all that other stuff I keep experimenting with... then there's the homemade damson gin, vodka and our own brand of Sloe gin. All in all. A house in full spirits...

Journeyman

Re: Whiskey (Welsh Malt)

Has any one tried Penderyn? It's made in Wales........bought some from Sainsbury's (£32) couple of weeks ago and have to say it's not bad! Tast totally different from my fav "Ardmore" but still worth a punt :wink:

Grand Master

Re: Whiskey (Welsh Malt)

had the madeira finish, pretty good!
    Quote Originally Posted by trundle
    Has any one tried Penderyn? It's made in Wales........bought some from Sainsbury's (£32) couple of weeks ago and have to say it's not bad! Tast totally different from my fav "Ardmore" but still worth a punt :wink:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Just bought a botte of glenlivdt nadurra, tried a small glass, felt sick, peed off. I wanna like my whisky why does it mke me ercch

Grand Master

try adding approx 10% of distilled water, remember nadurra is cask strength so you can decide the dilution rather than the distillery or the taxman, thats the original idea behind it, rather than sensory oblivion! me? i always try all my malts both with and without water, it really changes the flavour profile! experiment with more and less water, even a drop or two changes the structure of the malt and releases phenols etc:drunken:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesaint
    Just bought a botte of glenlivdt nadurra, tried a small glass, felt sick, peed off. I wanna like my whisky why does it mke me ercch
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    try adding approx 10% of distilled water, remember nadurra is cask strength so you can decide the dilution rather than the distillery or the taxman, thats the original idea behind it, rather than sensory oblivion! me? i always try all my malts both with and without water, it really changes the flavour profile! experiment with more and less water, even a drop or two changes the structure of the malt and releases phenols etc:drunken:

Top tip! Thanks. I'm not one for adding water, but might try it after reading this!

Grand Master

remember to use bottled water, not tap water, the chlorine taints it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff

Top tip! Thanks. I'm not one for adding water, but might try it after reading this!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
    Four Roses, Maker's Mark 46, and Woodford. Try the George T. Stagg as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions :thumbup:
    Another vote for Woodford Reserve from me. Wild Turkey is also worth a dabble.
    Recently picked up some Red Stag (Jim Beam with a hint of black cherry) and have to say it's very nice! Sweeter than usual, as you would expect but for a less formal option it's lovely.

I must get around to buying some George Dickel, hard to find but well worth the money.

hopefully some of this is winging its way to me from my sister as a birthday present

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... il-whisky/

need to do a bigger "dram run" soon im thinking of picking up these for the upcoming winter months

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/mo ... ld-whisky/

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/gl ... ld-whisky/

and im undecided between one of these two

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... sk-whisky/

or

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... iple-wood/

Grand Master

quarter cask is a superb laphroaig, but i must admit that triple wood tempts me!
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp
    hopefully some of this is winging its way to me from my sister as a birthday present

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... il-whisky/

need to do a bigger "dram run" soon im thinking of picking up these for the upcoming winter months

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/mo ... ld-whisky/

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/gl ... ld-whisky/

and im undecided between one of these two

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... sk-whisky/

or

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... iple-wood/
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Balvenie but its got to be 15yr!!!

Its awesome!!!

Master

Just been given a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label from 2008. Might have to give it a taste this evening.

Any of the Islay Malts but this is what I want to try next:

Talisker 57' North
    70cl / 57%
    Island Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    Distillery Bottling
    A distillery-bottled cask strength Talisker, 57' North is deceptively smooth for a whisky at this strength, but still a muscular presence on the palate, with the pepper and chilli Talisker hallmarks very much in evidence. Picked up the top prize in its category at the World Whisky Awards 2010.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear
    this is what I want to try next:

Talisker 57' North
    70cl / 57%
    Can't go wrong with Talisker--remarkably consistent and high quality. My problem is that their 10 y.o. is so good that I don't see the point in trading up. That's after trying two of the more expensive bottlings--but not this one.

Master

Talisker 57' North
    70cl / 57%
    Distillery Bottling
    A distillery-bottled cask strength Talisker, 57' North is deceptively smooth for a whisky at this strength, but still a muscular presence on the palate, with the pepper and chilli Talisker hallmarks very much in evidence. Picked up the top prize in its category at the World Whisky Awards 2010.
    That sounds really good :) Might be on the Christmas list :wink:

Yes, I said the "C" word :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond

Talisker 57' North
    70cl / 57%
    Distillery Bottling
    That sounds really good :) Might be on the Christmas list :wink:

Yes, I said the "C" word :lol:
    mmm, time to start getting some whisky in for Christmas - love the sound of that Talisker

Grand Master

it's my birthday this week and recieved as pressies so far are a bottle of glen moray and the 12yo glenlivet :)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

yesterday i attemted the Pot still festival in amersfoort and had a few zipps..... :) House of Arran is very good and the Highland park 1989 was pretty nice.

but nothing beats the Ardbeg Almost there, imho the best islay whishey ever!!

bst,

vncnt

Just tried some Whyte & Mackay last night, I don't normally drink blends, but this is very smooth and drinkable, excellent. Try some if you haven't.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Just tried some Whyte & Mackay last night, I don't normally drink blends, but this is very smooth and drinkable, excellent. Try some if you haven't.
    Yes, Robbie Patterson knows how to blend. It tends toward the rich and the sherried. Their 13 y.o. is excellent, makes Chivas look like p*$$.

Grand Master

going to buy myself a bottle for my birthday, anyone seen any good offers recently as i'm on a budget! preferably islay or peated.....
    my current stock - i'd like to avoid these but would make an exception for laphroaig!
    laphroaig - 10yo
    caol ila - 12 yo
    arbelour -16 yo
    glenlivet - 12 yo
    glenlivet 16 yo nadurra (nearly gone!)
    glenmorangie - 10 yo
    glen moray - traditional
    ardmore - fully peated
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

going to buy myself a bottle for my birthday, anyone seen any good offers recently as i'm on a budget! preferably islay or peated.....
    my current stock - i'd like to avoid these but would make an exception for laphroaig!
    laphroaig - 10yo
    caol ila - 12 yo
    arbelour -16 yo
    glenlivet - 12 yo
    glenmorangie - 10 yo
    glen moray - traditional
    ardmore - fully peated
    Ardbeg Uigeadail is a must probably the best readily available Islay under £50, you could also try Bladnoch Lightly peated direct from them very good for the money as well

im tempted to try an independant bottling any one have any tips on what to get? wemyss? Douglas Laing?

Grand Master

i've had a couple of douglas laings, also try connoisseurs choice, or have a look at the wee dram too
    laphroaig - 10yo
    caol ila - 12 yo
    arbelour -16 yo
    glenlivet - 12 yo
    glenmorangie - 10 yo
    glen moray - traditional
    ardmore - fully peated
    Ardbeg Uigeadail is a must probably the best readily available Islay under £50, you could also try Bladnoch Lightly peated direct from them very good for the money as well

im tempted to try an independant bottling any one have any tips on what to get? wemyss? Douglas Laing?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

decided to go irish,
    went to waitrose today and they had Redbreast and Connemara both for under £20 a bottle, it would have been rude not to!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I love Islay whiskeys, particularly Lagavulin 16 year old. Real quality at a fair price. Previously my favourite whiskey.

But I was in the Whiskey Shop on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh a few weeks back and bought a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh based on their recommendation. Cask Strength and at 60.1% abv its reasonably strong and takes a wee drop of water well, in fact the water brings out the best in it.

Wonderfully spicy and fruity nose and if you like Christmas Pudding and Brandy Butter you'll love the taste and finish of this one. I could still taste it the morning after. My bottle is from Batch 36, (they release it in batches which I'm told do vary in taste). It's now my absolute favourite. :)

And if Ian Buxton lists in in his '101 Whiskeys To Try Before You Die' book then you know it can't be bad. Try it, it's superb. :D
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I love Islay whiskeys, particularly Lagavulin 16 year old. Real quality at a fair price. Previously my favourite whiskey.

But I was in the Whiskey Shop on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh a few weeks back and bought a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh based on their recommendation. Cask Strength and at 60.1% abv its reasonably strong and takes a wee drop of water well, in fact the water brings out the best in it.

Wonderfully spicy and fruity nose and if you like Christmas Pudding and Brandy Butter you'll love the taste and finish of this one. I could still taste it the morning after. My bottle is from Batch 36, (they release it in batches which I'm told do vary in taste). It's now my absolute favourite. :)

And if Ian Buxton lists in in his '101 Whiskeys To Try Before You Die' book then you know it can't be bad. Try it, it's superb. :D
    Lovely stuff, my bottle is from batch 20.

Master

The A'Bunadh is great stuff if you want a hit of young, sherried cask-strength whisky.

And it's regularly on offer at Waitrose :)

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    The A'Bunadh is great stuff if you want a hit of young, sherried cask-strength whisky.

i agree its firmly on my favorties list.

for the price every one should have a bottle of old pultney as well around £25 a pop it punches well above its price range.

Master

for the price every one should have a bottle of old pultney as well around £25 a pop it punches well above its price range.
    Hmm. On offer at TEE. Might want to try this...

Master

Hmm. On offer at TEE. Might want to try this...
    I like Old Pultney very much :drunken: have not had any for a while now, but here in Canada it is considerably more expensive than back in the UK :evil: Last time I looked IIFC it was around $60 a bottle (45 GBP) :evil:

Grand Master

well the birthday haul totalled five....
    last addition was a glenmorangie 12yo lasanta..., non chill filtered, 46% and finished in sherry casks, should be interesting...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Woodford reserve is great.Here at home in Cork we have plenty to choose from but lately I have been getting back into
    Jameson while in the pub.Midleton rare for a treat every now and then.

the Mrs managed to hunt down a bottle of this as an early birthday gift

thing is im hankering after somthing really different, from left feild to add to the ever growing stock pile perhaps a Japanese dram just finished a bottle of Talisker so that needs replacing :drunken:

Grand Master

try Ardmore fully peated - a peated non chill filtered quarter casked speyside at iirc 46%. interesting dram! smoky, spicy, sweet, and sherryish...
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... al-whisky/
    or here are a few other i can highly recommend...
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ab ... 36-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/be ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... sk-whisky/ (probably my favourite malt and Islay personified)
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ca ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... da-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... se-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bl ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/gl ... ta-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ya ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/re ... d-whiskey/ (if you have a waitrose near this was under £20 the other day!)
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/am ... on-whisky/

enjoy whatever you buy and if its any of the above i have tried and can recommend them all - let me know what you think! :drunken:
    the Mrs managed to hunt down a bottle of this as an early birthday gift

thing is im hankering after somthing really different, from left feild to add to the ever growing stock pile perhaps a Japanese dram just finished a bottle of Talisker so that needs replacing :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

with an "e" tonight,
    Redbreast 12 yo pure pot still irish whiskey
    sweet, resin, almost honeyed nose, rich fruitcakey oily palate and a long peppery oily finish - superb!
    i can see why this has been winning a lot of awards...under £20 at waitrose currently too!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Yep, currently£10 off at £24.15 8)

Also for some reason 15yr old Bowmore "Darkest" is at £13 off at £32.99 :drunken:

try Ardmore fully peated - a peated non chill filtered quarter casked speyside at iirc 46%. interesting dram! smoky, spicy, sweet, and sherryish...
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... al-whisky/
    or here are a few other i can highly recommend...
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ab ... 36-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/be ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... sk-whisky/ (probably my favourite malt and Islay personified)
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ca ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ar ... da-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... se-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bl ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/gl ... ta-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ya ... ld-whisky/
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/re ... d-whiskey/ (if you have a waitrose near this was under £20 the other day!)
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/am ... on-whisky/

enjoy whatever you buy and if its any of the above i have tried and can recommend them all - let me know what you think! :drunken:
    Good list Jon 8) . Glad to see you enjoyed the Benriach :)

Interesting choice for your favourite - I agree it's a cracker, and in fact I'm digging young whisky in general. The Resurrection Dram (7yo) from Bruichladdich was awesome. On the subject of Laphroaig, I had a bottle of the 10yo and actually decided it was a bit one-dimensional (dare I say dull), but both the QC and the Cask Strength are great.

PS I saw Scapa 16yo on offer in the supermarket the other day for €34 :shock: :shock: Is it to early for a Christmas present to myself? :roll:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101

Interesting choice for your favourite - I agree it's a cracker, and in fact I'm digging young whisky in general. The Resurrection Dram (7yo) from Bruichladdich was awesome. On the subject of Laphroaig, I had a bottle of the 10yo and actually decided it was a bit one-dimensional (dare I say dull), but both the QC and the Cask Strength are great.
    actually, to a certain extent i agree there, i wonder if it's because quarter cask has spoiled us! i've often wondered whether the standard 10 would be more of a beast if it wasn't chill filtered.
    have you tried the triple wood yet? looking forward to trying that one! i've often thought laphroaig could take a sherry casking.....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

actually, to a certain extent i agree there, i wonder if it's because quarter cask has spoiled us! i've often wondered whether the standard 10 would be more of a beast if it wasn't chill filtered.
    have you tried the triple wood yet? looking forward to trying that one! i've often thought laphroaig could take a sherry casking.....
    Sounds tempting - I haven't heard of it before I've only been gone a year and I'm already falling behind :(

Must try harder :lol: :drunken:

<EDIT>just had a look. 48% so strong enough at least. Whisky Exchange says it's like a sherried Quarter Cask, and originally only available in duty free - I'll be going through a duty free in the next couple of weeks :roll:

Grand Master

if you find one before i do keep me informed! not hit the local shops yet......
    have you tried any of the french malts yet? distillerie des manhirs "eddu gold" scores massively according to jim murray....

Sounds tempting - I haven't heard of it before I've only been gone a year and I'm already falling behind :(

<EDIT>just had a look. 48% so strong enough at least. Whisky Exchange says it's like a sherried Quarter Cask, and originally only available in duty free - I'll be going through a duty free in the next couple of weeks :roll:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Will do, same to you!

Not tried anything French yet, I've been concentrating on wine. Will keep an eye out for Eddu Gold - shame the distillery's in Brittany, as that's a bit far for a visit.

have you tried any of the french malts yet? distillerie des manhirs "eddu gold" scores massively according to jim murray....

Grand Master

might be trying something from Tasmania in the next month, a musician friend is coming to stay while he plays a date for us and he has promised me a bottle from his local distillery, Tasmanian Old Hobart..should be interesting....
    this is his last video and tribute to the music fest i'm involved in, i'm in it hiding on the sofa (drinking glenfiddich!) and wearing a rolex expii (not mine sadly!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvYgLGhqHg
    Will do, same to you!

Not tried anything French yet, I've been concentrating on wine. Will keep an eye out for Eddu Gold - shame the distillery's in Brittany, as that's a bit far for a visit.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

I really like QC. Sadly I'm now down to very little of that particular bottle. I woke up this am thinking I had to go into town for something and couldn't remember what. Luckily some more posts in this thread alerted me to the fact that it was Waitrose lol

Craftsman

I keep meaning to try many of the whiskys mentioned here...but are unable to get past the Islay malts... :lol: