closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Re: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    Yamazaki - believe it was mentioned somewhere in this thread? Tried it recently at the Arcadia bar in Leeds the other night, and wasn't let down.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/D-478.aspx

Was probably the 10 year old.

Suntory's Yamazaki is outstanding. I have the 12 and 18. I recommend them to anyone that is not interested in a heavily peated whisky. The 12 is very Speyside in character and the 18 adds some complexity and a hint of smoke.
    They made a peated whisky a few years ago, now no longer available. I'm ready to buy a case if they offer it again.
    Nikka is supposed to be making excellent whisky as well, but it's not available in the US at this time.
    I have a couple bottles of Suntory's Hibiki on order. It's a great blend that I had a chance to sample a few months ago.
    Cheers!

Are these fake, hommage or copy? :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea
    Quote Originally Posted by James Burton
    Is this stuff any good :?:

It's been in the cupboard for a few years now .......... :bounce:
    That stuff is great. Islay malts are my favourite. Caol Isla in particular. This is a bit controversial in my family as the family home is a 20 minute walk from Talisker distillery.
    Caol Ila is also my favourite malt. The area around Talisker is also one of my favourite places, although I haven't been there for a while due to the intrusion of children into my life. I must get my tent up to Sligachan sometime soon.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus

That stuff is great. Islay malts are my favourite. Caol Isla in particular. This is a bit controversial in my family as the family home is a 20 minute walk from Talisker distillery.
    Caol Ila is also my favourite malt. The area around Talisker is also one of my favourite places, although I haven't been there for a while due to the intrusion of children into my life. I must get my tent up to Sligachan sometime soon.
    Good luck campingin Slig. Midgie hell if you get the weater conditions/date wrong.

I have never been eaten so much as a trip there with mates about 15 years ago. God knows why were were camping since I have a warm bed 15 minutes away...

My home is in Portnalong, just down the road from Carbost where the distillery is.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Yamazaki - believe it was mentioned somewhere in this thread? Tried it recently at the Arcadia bar in Leeds the other night, and wasn't let down.

Suntory's Yamazaki is outstanding. I have the 12 and 18. I recommend them to anyone that is not interested in a heavily peated whisky. The 12 is very Speyside in character and the 18 adds some complexity and a hint of smoke.
    They made a peated whisky a few years ago, now no longer available. I'm ready to buy a case if they offer it again.
    Nikka is supposed to be making excellent whisky as well, but it's not available in the US at this time.
    I have a couple bottles of Suntory's Hibiki on order. It's a great blend that I had a chance to sample a few months ago.
    Cheers!

Are these fake, hommage or copy? :wink:
    Homage. :lol:
    Suntory's been distilling whisky since 1924!

When in Japan last year I had a few nice drops, but at the airport was shocked how expensive the duty free was, so I found a local supplier who has some very interesting bottles, it'll never replace Scotch for me, but every so often it hits the spot.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cheers!
    One of my favourite supermarket whiskys...

It seems to vary in price ...£40 for 75cl or £199 for the litre as its a collectors bottle ...

I think i'll sell it ........ :D

thank you to all the people who offered up there adive on what dram to get

but as per usual i strayed off the path and ended up with a bottle of

cannot wait to crack it open.

Master

Bought a bottle of Yamazaki myself a couple of years ago - loved it. Would undoubtedly have bought a few more since then but I find that I've switched to vodka martinis these days .. probably buy a bottle of whisky for every 15 or so bottles of vodka, and usually the Glenlivet.

Just finishing a very nice bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt. Next up is a bottle of Bushmills 10 year old single. And then..... :drunken:

Quote Originally Posted by degsey
    Just finishing a very nice bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt. Next up is a bottle of Bushmills 10 year old single. And then..... :drunken:
    Heads up!
    Waitrose are doing Glenfiddich 12yr old at a third off, that's £19.87p...fill yer boots :drunken:

Grand Master

now normally a i'n absolutely not a blend type of guy but after reading jim murrays whisky bible 2011 i though i'd give a bottle of the famous grouse another go and i'll tell you what it's a darn sight nicer than last time i tried it a few years ago, distinct "custardy" hint and a very light drift of smoke....it's no highland park or laphroaig but if you see it on offer it's worth a punt!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    now normally a i'n absolutely not a blend type of guy but after reading jim murrays whisky bible 2011 i though i'd give a bottle of the famous grouse another go and i'll tell you what it's a darn sight nicer than last time i tried it a few years ago, distinct "custardy" hint and a very light drift of smoke....it's no highland park or laphroaig but if you see it on offer it's worth a punt!
    Same here, but I do like a bit of Black Grouse - have a try of that sometime :)

Grand Master

ardmore fully peated quarter cask tonight- excellent! like a sweeter silkier islay
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

ardmore fully peated quarter cask tonight- excellent! like a sweeter silkier islay
    excellent choice. I went with some Cask Strength Macallan myself tonight.

Blog Entries

Not a whiskey, but a whisky
    Last time I visited the US I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve
    (http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1251.aspx)
    I thought it was pretty good, but whilst sitting at the airport bar the bartender recommended Maker's Mark :shock:
    So on this trip I bought a bottle of this duty free on my way back this week...

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1168.aspx

Will be opening it when the Penderyn is finished :drunken: Anyone else tried it ?

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    I thought it was pretty good, but whilst sitting at the airport bar the bartender recommended Maker's Mark :shock:

Will be opening it when the Penderyn is finished :drunken: Anyone else tried it ?

z
    I'm a fan of Bourbon, and Makers Mark is a fine example...you will need a sharp knife to cut through all that red wax to get at it. 8)

Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old single malt for £23 in Marks and Spencer's yesterday...just cracking the seal now :)

z
    Maker's Mark is good stuff (Woodford Reserve is pretty good too though). It sounds like you're knocking off the good ones :) . Bulleit Bourbon is also very definitely worth a try :drunken:

Edited to add Whiskey is Bourbon, Irish, and anything (pretty much) not from Scotland. Whisky is from Scotland (or Canada) :thumbright:

Damn this thread - I'm now drinking Laphroaig :blackeye: :drunken:

Grand Master

the bass? :drunken:
    Quote Originally Posted by twhp101

z
    Maker's Mark is good stuff (Woodford Reserve is pretty good too though). It sounds like you're knocking off the good ones :) . Bulleit Bourbon is also very definitely worth a try :drunken:

Edited to add Whiskey is Bourbon, Irish, and anything (pretty much) not from Scotland. Whisky is from Scotland (or Canada) :thumbright:

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

z

Not the bass sadly :( (thanks for reminding me though :lol: ). Standard boggo 10yo. When I left the shop I decided to take a punt on a couple of Octomores instead (I'm a closet collector - well not really a collector, I just used to pick up the odd things here and there that were limited release). I got the 2.1 and the Orpheus. They'll never be worth a fortune but it's a bit of fun to drink stuff that's getting thin on the ground :)

Have you got any of the bass left?

Talking of Grouse I've had this in the cupboard for quite a few years. No idea where it came from, and I think it's just the standard tipple with a different label. Either way though, Grouse I reckon is the best widely available blend, and I quite enjoy it every now and again. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd rather drink Grouse than rubbish single malt (Glen Moray springs to mind :lol: :shock: )

ok so my brother in law came through like a wirlwind whilst over here on holiday, he went through about 4 bottles in as many weeks!

so im down to just a sole bottle of a'bundah so any one recommend anything good waitrose normaly stock

also is the laga 16 worth the extra over the laphroaig quarter cask ?

thank

Grand Master

the bass has all gone sadly, fantastic malt though! on the standard 10 myself now.

z

Not the bass sadly :( (thanks for reminding me though :lol: ). Standard boggo 10yo. When I left the shop I decided to take a punt on a couple of Octomores instead (I'm a closet collector - well not really a collector, I just used to pick up the odd things here and there that were limited release). I got the 2.1 and the Orpheus. They'll never be worth a fortune but it's a bit of fun to drink stuff that's getting thin on the ground :)

Have you got any of the bass left?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

In the past Lagavuline but now I settled on Dalwhinne - smooth and perfect :)

Does Whiskey get better with age? The thing is, i have a bottle of 8 year old but it was bottled in 1992. It was a Limited Edition for the formation of the Royal Air Force Regiment 50th Anniversary bottled (and blended?) by McPhail of Elgin. Bearing in mind that next year it will have been bottled for 20 years, would it now be 28 years old or does it only age in the cask?

Just wondered if there was a market for a such an example really. I've also got a bottle of port from the Special Air service Sgt's mess at Hereford but i think i'll be keeping that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee
    Does Whiskey get better with age? The thing is, i have a bottle of 8 year old but it was bottled in 1992. It was a Limited Edition for the formation of the Royal Air Force Regiment 50th Anniversary bottled (and blended?) by McPhail of Elgin. Bearing in mind that next year it will have been bottled for 20 years, would it now be 28 years old or does it only age in the cask?

Just wondered if there was a market for a such an example really. I've also got a bottle of port from the Special Air service Sgt's mess at Hereford but i think i'll be keeping that. :)
    Correct, it only ages in the cask, once it is in the bottle the maturation process stops. I would imagine there would be a market for it, but I don't think it would make a great deal of money. I take it that it is a blend rather than a single malt?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee
    Does Whiskey get better with age? The thing is, i have a bottle of 8 year old but it was bottled in 1992. It was a Limited Edition for the formation of the Royal Air Force Regiment 50th Anniversary bottled (and blended?) by McPhail of Elgin.
    McPhails do some really good bottlings. They're Independant Bottlers (for example, standard Glenfiddich with the normal label is a distillery bottling and is a blend of hundreds/thousands of casks blended for a consistant brand flavour - independant bottlings can be the contents of one particularly (good) cask and can therefore be much more characterful as blending casks loses character) like the Chivas Brothers were when they started and they buy odd casks here and there from different distillers and this means they can cherry pick some of the best casks.

I'd drink it if I were you as I wouldn't have thought it'll be worth an awful lot :) :drunken:

Grand Master

did anybody ever find out definitively what the 28yr old single highland malt Lidl marketed under the name Maxwell was?
    some speculation it was Teanininch but not heard anything else. good stuff for £29 a bottle!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

did anybody ever find out definitively what the 28yr old single highland malt Lidl marketed under the name Maxwell was?
    some speculation it was Teanininch but not heard anything else. good stuff for £29 a bottle!
    Hello Jon,

Still not opened mine but over on the Bladnoch Forum some reckon it may be Brora but I've not seen a definitive answer anywhere.

Cheers,
    Carl

What are peoples thoughts on glenfiddich snow phoenix? I'm itching to have a taste but being new to the world of whiskey I'm hesitant to spend £50 + on a bottle

Oh yeah any one got a review on old pulteney for me also

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp
    What are peoples thoughts on glenfiddich snow phoenix? I'm itching to have a taste but being new to the world of whiskey I'm hesitant to spend £50 + on a bottle

Oh yeah any one got a review on old pulteney for me also
    The trouble is finding any Snow Phoenix for £50 now. Some Waitrose still have them and SingleMaltsDirect.com had them back in stock for £60 otherwise they are going for silly money over on eBay. Personally I though it was a great whiskey with a wonderful layering of rich flavours and long lasting aftertaste. Very tasty :drunken:

I've not tried Old Pulteney but here are some reviews:

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/old-pulteney/
    http://www.forpeatsake.com/Old+Pulteney/

Had some Macallan yesterday for the royal wedding and Snow Phoenix last week to celebrate my birthday.

Has anyone tried the Naked Grouse? Saw his recently in Asda.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

28yr old :shock:

Still available?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

Still available?
    Afraid not as it was around Christmas. Worth keeping an eye out if you are in Lidl just on the off chance. In general around Christmas Lidl have some good whiskeys.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

Still available?
    Afraid not as it was around Christmas. Worth keeping an eye out if you are in Lidl just on the off chance. In general around Christmas Lidl have some good whiskeys.
    Mmmmm thanks :D
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talisker.

Anyone tried the English Whisky? Just seen it in my local offy - £45 for a bottle, choice of peated or non..

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked
    Anyone tried the English Whisky? Just seen it in my local offy - £45 for a bottle, choice of peated or non..
    Tried Chapter 6 (3 yo not peated) when it first came out. Worst whisky (for more than £10 at least) I have ever tried. I managed one glass and threw the rest out. YMMV.

Just spent a weekend in Edinburgh, sampled a few whiskies whilst there obviously; very pleasant. Ardbeg was the standout for me, so smokey.

Master

Ardberg's lovely.

The great thing with whiskey/whisky though is the variety. Something for almost everyone.

Trying Black Grouse tonight for the first time, first impressions are its dangerously drinkable, moderate hints of smoke and peat but very smooth. Normally only drink singles but this blend is nicely balanced...just about spot on for me. :drunken:

IMO you cannot beat a 10 year old Glenmorangie !!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard
    Trying Black Grouse tonight for the first time, first impressions are its dangerously drinkable, moderate hints of smoke and peat but very smooth. Normally only drink singles but this blend is nicely balanced...just about spot on for me. :drunken:
    I have recently indulged in this one too, based on the recommend recieved from "101 Whiskies to try before you die" by Ian Buxton. I previously couldn't justify the cost from UK dealers (around £20 for 70cl) as this was comparable to a good single malt like Laphroaig, but when I saw them in duty free at £15 for a litre (2 for £22) I thought it was worth a try.

A nice tipple, as you say very drinkable, but lacking complexity, and it was slightly disappointing in terms of smoke and peat, but I guess Ardbeg hasspolit me!

Grand Master

i must admit i am pretty partial to Glenmorangie, supremely complex at the price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    IMO you cannot beat a 10 year old Glenmorangie !!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I like the Islay malts, and I tried Bunnahabhain for the first time last month in Glasgow (in the wonderful Bon Accord, for all you locals). It was only the entry level 12yo single malt, but it doesn't half have a kick... and I loved it! Well worth a try, if you can find it.

They produce one heck of a range - have a look:

http://www.bunnahabhain.com/

Banned

Bought a Nadurra yesterday, very nice and drinkable! Have also been given a Glen Moray and GlenKinchir for me birthday. When l was up at St Andrews this week also tried a whisky that was finished by a winemaker in France and was surprisingly nice.

Grand Master

isn't glen moray finished in chardonnay casks to appeal to the girlies?
    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Bought a Nadurra yesterday, very nice and drinkable! Have also been given a Glen Moray and GlenKinchir for me birthday. When l was up at St Andrews this week also tried a whisky that was finished by a winemaker in France and was surprisingly nice.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries

I'm about to take a plunge on a another bottle of Edradour from my local specialist whisky seller over the weekend.

Scotland's smallest distiller, but a great drink all round. Nice.

Finished an Ardbeg last week, and just opened a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. An experience once described as like inhaling a box of bandaids. I think it's a belter, IF you are into the peat, damp wood, tar, wet basset hound and last night's ashtray thing.

Just about to have some more.

Paul

Just taken my delivery of two bottles of 'Committee release' Ardbeg Alligator.

Really really tempted to crack one open, but given they're worth £70+ on the bay of theives alreadyI'm tempted to sit tight!

Anyone tried it yet?