closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 4127

Thread: Whiskey

I was about to get the Green Spot at £30, but I managed to not! I've learnt I really need to try things before buying entire bottles; it's only money 'saved' if I actually want to have an entire bottle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I was about to get the Green Spot at £30, but I managed to not! I've learnt I really need to try things before buying entire bottles; it's only money 'saved' if I actually want to have an entire bottle of it.
    The green spot at £30 was great, I had it in my cart and after some.more shopping around it was sold out.

I get your other point about saving money, but usually I can finish a bottle... it's very rarely that it is too disgusting to drink!

Just bought a 2nd Lakes no.5. Have not opened the first one yet.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

A cheap and cheerful Glen Keith, tonight. To my unsophisticated tastes, a very pleasant NAS Speyside single malt. A sweet and fruity palate I think.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    Nothing quite like Amazon prime day to allow me to try a few new things I would have otherwise never purchased.

If I don't end up liking them, I wasn't too much of a mistake at these prices.

Anybody else get anything good lately?
    So sorta unsurprisingly the tamnavulin turned out to taste more or less like water! Would not recommend

Master

Cracked open a bottle of the good stuff when back from the restaurant last night
    Tastes like nectar .

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Cracked open a bottle of the good stuff when back from the restaurant last night
    Tastes like nectar .
    Always loved Springbank.

The 12 year old is extremely complex for it's age and i can only imagine what the 24yr old is like.

I often enter the ballots from Master of Malt, The Whisky Exchange etc and this is the first time I’ve won.

Reviews for these are consistently good so look forward to opening it.

Although this has got me thinking of drinking vs reselling as the auction prices of previous batches are high.

I don’t think I could break with my principles of whisky for drinking and sharing, not investments. It’s only a few hundred potential though so not a massive amount, maybe it would be different if it was a couple of thousand!

Anyone here buy to resell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The wife and I went for a day out with the dog on Saturday. On our travels I decided to pop in to Aberfeldy and see the family grave and pay respects to the old grandpa (he made it to 103yrs… some going, but I digress).

It turned out to be a rather more expensive stop than I’d anticipated. I couldn’t resist nipping over the road to the distillery and picking up a Dewars… but whilst there I spotted a limited edition 2002 cask, which you hand pour for yourself. I tried to come up with some reason as to why I needed it… and then remembered that my youngest lad was born 2002… so that was good enough for me.

Man maths said that it made more sense to get this at £120 than spend £150 on the 21yr old (I’m not convinced the 21yo is worth almost £100 more than the 16yo either… the 16 is a very lovely dram).

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    The wife and I went for a day out with the dog on Saturday. On our travels I decided to pop in to Aberfeldy and see the family grave and pay respects to the old grandpa (he made it to 103yrs… some going, but I digress).

It turned out to be a rather more expensive stop than I’d anticipated. I couldn’t resist nipping over the road to the distillery and picking up a Dewars… but whilst there I spotted a limited edition 2002 cask, which you hand pour for yourself. I tried to come up with some reason as to why I needed it… and then remembered that my youngest lad was born 2002… so that was good enough for me.

Man maths said that it made more sense to get this at £120 than spend £150 on the 21yr old (I’m not convinced the 21yo is worth almost £100 more than the 16yo either… the 16 is a very lovely dram).

Andy.
    Definitely a good enough excuse if you ask me!

Master
    Wife and I did the Johnnie Walker Journey of Flavour tour in Edinburgh today. JW is not normally my bag, but the 90min tour was actually very good… some seriously impressive technology on show for their presentations I’ve got to say.

More impressive however was that after many many years it was the breakthrough to get the wife accepting any sort of whisky based drink without looking like she was about to break in to a fit !!
    She struggled with the first drink (green label and soda with some rose petals as garnish)… but persevered through it.
    Then had an Old Fashioned with Black Label which she found a bit easier.. although still a struggle. We then each had a Highball… again black label, mine was with barley, cream soda and cold brew coffee… hers with ginger ale and some crystalized ginger…. She loved both of them !!

I bought her a bottle of Black Label as a treat .. lol.

We went on to a few bars afterwards and by the end she was happily necking Monkey Shoulder & Lemonade. I might have to start marking the levels on my bottles !

Andy.

One of the nicest recent SMWS bottlings for tonight:

Journeyman
    Wife and I did the Johnnie Walker Journey of Flavour tour in Edinburgh today. JW is not normally my bag, but the 90min tour was actually very good… some seriously impressive technology on show for their presentations I’ve got to say.

More impressive however was that after many many years it was the breakthrough to get the wife accepting any sort of whisky based drink without looking like she was about to break in to a fit !!
    She struggled with the first drink (green label and soda with some rose petals as garnish)… but persevered through it.
    Then had an Old Fashioned with Black Label which she found a bit easier.. although still a struggle. We then each had a Highball… again black label, mine was with barley, cream soda and cold brew coffee… hers with ginger ale and some crystalized ginger…. She loved both of them !!

I bought her a bottle of Black Label as a treat .. lol.

We went on to a few bars afterwards and by the end she was happily necking Monkey Shoulder & Lemonade. I might have to start marking the levels on my bottles !

Andy.
    That cream soda one may be the ticket to help develop some palettes for my crew, any idea on the ratios?....and barley as in just raw grain or toasted? milled or whole kernels floating lol

Love a bottle of Lagavulin but the price is creeping up and up. Saw this on the Master of Malt website. Then found that Amazon stock it. As my much better half is an Amazon Prime member I ordered a bottle which worked out at £36 delivered.

Maybe it's my advancing years but after the customary three pints, I find it hard to taste the difference between the two whiskeys. I'm inclined to order three bottles before the price goes up (as it no doubt will).

Full write up review here:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluther2 View Post
    That cream soda one may be the ticket to help develop some palettes for my crew, any idea on the ratios?....and barley as in just raw grain or toasted? milled or whole kernels floating lol
    Afraid I’m no help on the ratios. It was just raw grain.. but your toasted idea sounds better !

Another excellent bottling from the chaps at SMWS.

Can anyone recommend me a single malt whiskey? My boss likes Talisker so something with a similar taste. I don't want to spend huge amounts say up to £40.

Thanks in advance

Been after trying the Macallan Gold. Is it worth grabbing a bottle?

Grand Master
    Caol Ila 12 year old is £38 on Amazon. Nice smoky drop but a bit gentler than Laphroaig and Ardbeg.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Can anyone recommend me a single malt whiskey? My boss likes Talisker so something with a similar taste. I don't want to spend huge amounts say up to £40.

Thanks in advance
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Recents in for me
    Glenfarclas 12 yo exclusive to 300 bottles 49%

Lagavulin 8 yo

And a couple to take me out of my comfort zone:
    Rittenhouse Rye Bottled In Bond
    Eagle Rare 10 yo Bourbon

Not really tried anything from across the pond apart from JD and JB so looking forward to it!

All sat looking at me but unopened as I’m suffering a bout of sciatica and necking painkillers this week.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Smokehead is £23.50 on Amazon at the mo.

Smokey, heavily peated single malt, and at the money, it's superb.

Grand Master
    Did an inventory today, I need to drink more!
    Aberlour 10
    Aberlour Cask Anamh
    Aerolite Lindsay 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength
    Caol Ila 12
    Deanston 18
    Glenfarclas 12 limited to 300 bottles sbs
    Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve
    Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill
    Highland Park 12
    Highland Park Viking Tribe
    Ileach Cask Strength
    Lagavulin 8
    Laphroaig 10
    Laphroaig 10 Sherry Cask
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Lismore 21
    Old Pulteney 12
    Penderyn Legend
    Port Askaig 100 Proof
    Speyburn 10
    Talisker Skye
    Talisker 10
    Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask Cabernet Sauvignon edition

Berry Bros & Rudd Classic range peated blended malt
    Berry Bros & Rudd Classic range Islay blended malt
    Johnnie Walker Green Label 15 blended malt

Makers Mark Bourbon
    Eagle Rare 10 Bourbon
    Rittenhouse Bottled In Bond straight rye

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Been after trying the Macallan Gold. Is it worth grabbing a bottle?
    In a word… no.
    Really disappointing.

In a word… no.
    Really disappointing.
    Thanks. Saves me £60 to spend on something better.

Master
    You’re welcome.. but £60?? Are you talking about the 12yo or the Gold? No way is the Gold £60 a bottle these days surely?

I ended up using mine in cocktails or with lemonade. Was really not interesting enough to have it as a nip. I’d say it’s a £20-£25 bottle at best…. even at that I can think of better bottles to spend £25 on.
    Last edited by gorrie; 17th September 2022 at 16:18.

You’re welcome.. but £60?? Are you talking about the 12yo or the Gold? No way is the Gold £60 a bottle these days surely?

I ended up using mine in cocktails or with lemonade. Was really not interesting enough to have it as a nip. I’d say it’s a £20-£25 bottle at best…. even at that I can think of better bottles to spend £25 on.
    It was the 12yo. It was in Waitrose to be fair but definitely £60!

Master
    Ah, I was talking about the Gold. That’s a different bottle then. I was going to say that you can get the 12yo for that price.

Ah, I was talking about the Gold. That’s a different bottle then. I was going to say that you can get the 12yo for that price.
    Even so, it seems that the Gold is around the £50 mark at plenty of retailers.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Even so, it seems that the Gold is around the £50 mark at plenty of retailers.
    Most reviewers say MacAllan has been coasting on its past reputation for years, many expressions at 40% with added caramel and chill filtered. Those expressions with a bit more integrity are hugely expensive for what they are. They are a brand that needs a change of ethos.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Damning indeed. Think I'll stick to the Highlands stuff.

MacAllan has lost the plot and anything vaguely affordable is IMHO crap.

For £60/65 price range try Glenallachie 15 for a really great whisky at not to stupid a price

Favourites of mine such as Glendronach 18 and Bowmore 18 just now silly prices

If you want something very different and like a cigar try Ardberg Wee Beastie. Only 5 years old and circa £40.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    In that price range, generally I don’t tend to look beyond Aberfeldy 16.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Did an inventory today, I need to drink more!
    Aberlour 10
    Aberlour Cask Anamh
    Aerolite Lindsay 10
    Ardbeg 10
    Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength
    Caol Ila 12
    Deanston 18
    Glenfarclas 12 limited to 300 bottles sbs
    Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve
    Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill
    Highland Park 12
    Highland Park Viking Tribe
    Ileach Cask Strength
    Lagavulin 8
    Laphroaig 10
    Laphroaig 10 Sherry Cask
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Lismore 21
    Old Pulteney 12
    Penderyn Legend
    Port Askaig 100 Proof
    Speyburn 10
    Talisker Skye
    Talisker 10
    Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask Cabernet Sauvignon edition

Berry Bros & Rudd Classic range peated blended malt
    Berry Bros & Rudd Classic range Islay blended malt
    Johnnie Walker Green Label 15 blended malt

Makers Mark Bourbon
    Eagle Rare 10 Bourbon
    Rittenhouse Bottled In Bond straight rye
    Sounds like you need to adopt my New Year’s Resolution to drink more. Not sure it’s worked yet as I have a cupboard full of whisky and seem to still buy more!

A very generous fellow TZ-er gave me this as a gift. Will be saved for a very special occasion.

Craftsman
    Anyone here excited or disgusted with the Macallan bond 007 collection?

Piss take I think...

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Anyone here excited or disgusted with the Macallan bond 007 collection?

Piss take I think...

100% disgusted, but it is Macallan so expect nothing less than overpriced tat. People say they are the Rolex of whisky, but that would be like Rolex doubling prices and reducing quality to that of a Timex simultaneously

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    100% disgusted, but it is Macallan so expect nothing less than overpriced tat. People say they are the Rolex of whisky, but that would be like Rolex doubling prices and reducing quality to that of a Timex simultaneously

And selling everything by ballot just to fuel an insane secondary market....
    ...take it you entered the ballot for each decade also then?

Sláinte.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Local business to me. Might order a bottle today

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quite lovely

Craftsman
    Wee drop of Redbreast 12 tonight, simply lovely

Tonight, from the infinity bottle... A house blend, if you will

Thought I'd give this a whirl as a festive tipple.

Due for delivery on Wednesday. I'll put an update on in due course.

Blog Entries
    Any views on this…?. I love a Buna

Deal: Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie, Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl https://amzn.eu/d/g5MJnY1

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Any views on this…?. I love a Buna

Deal: Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie, Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl https://amzn.eu/d/g5MJnY1
    I've a bottle of this, and I find the opaque bottle really annoying! But aside from that...

It's one that definitely, for me, benefits with some water added. It has the nice Bruichladdich fresh grassy note, quite some biscuity sweetness, and honestly suggests some peat (even though it's unpeated!) but I find the overall drink somewhat harsher than their Port Charlotte and Octomore releases I've tried. It's also much cheaper!

I won't buy another bottle once mine's finished, but I think it's worth a try at that price.

I got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and it is just crazy smokey. You can feel the richness and one glass is more then enough. To be honest, I am enjoying bourbon more, currently Four roses single barrell. That sweetness, caramel and vanilla are more appealing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I've a bottle of this, and I find the opaque bottle really annoying! But aside from that...

It's one that definitely, for me, benefits with some water added. It has the nice Bruichladdich fresh grassy note, quite some biscuity sweetness, and honestly suggests some peat (even though it's unpeated!) but I find the overall drink somewhat harsher than their Port Charlotte and Octomore releases I've tried. It's also much cheaper!

I won't buy another bottle once mine's finished, but I think it's worth a try at that price.
    Thanks…. Maybe a swerve then…

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Sláinte.

If I could only drink one whiskey for the rest of my life, this would be it.

So my order arrived from Master of Malt.

2 x Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire 10 Year Old

2 x Christmas Cake & Dark Chocolate & Medjool Dates & Cinnamon 8 Year Old

For research purposes I tried the latter. It is exactly as described on the tin (or bottle). I would have preferred to taste more of the dates but that's a minor criticism.

A few years ago, I bought a bottle of limited edition Inchmurrin. Described as liquid Christmas in a glass, it was a delicious blend of cake, cinnamon, fruit and sherry flavours. Sadly when I went to buy another, it had all gone and I've never seen it since.

I think that once word gets around about the great value that this Christmas Cake & Dark Chocolate & Medjool Dates & Cinnamon presents, it will either a) go up in price or b) sell out and be discontinued. To prevent either of those disasters befalling me (and to prevent a repeat of the Inchmurrin) I have just bought another four bottles of the Christmas Cake whisky. Better to be safe than sorry!

^^^ There's zip all wrong with getting a few in of what you like. From memory the most "Christmas" of all the whiskies I've tried would be Glenfarclas' 15 and possibly Dalmore's 18 though the latter was some time back.

Tonight's tipple is Aran's 10. Light honey sweetness, green tea, heather, desiccated coconut and pencil shaving goodness.

I'd post a 'photo though Tapatalk isn't playing ball...