Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Dalwhinnie is a favourite of mine - very smooth

Grand Master
    Arberlour 10 y.o. is £16 in Tescoes
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

being a scotman, i am ashamed to admit....really cannot drink whisky.
    dates back to a bad experience i had at a ceilidh when i was 17.
    however, i have recently discovered i like chivas regal...blended i know!
    i can also manage a wee dram of laphroaig and i like japanese malts.
    although what i really love is the american stuff...just bought a couple of bottle of woodford reserve and gentleman jack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    being a scotman, i am ashamed to admit....really cannot drink whisky.
    dates back to a bad experience i had at a ceilidh when i was 17.
    however, i have recently discovered i like chivas regal...blended i know!
    i can also manage a wee dram of laphroaig and i like japanese malts.
    although what i really love is the american stuff...just bought a couple of bottle of woodford reserve and gentleman jack.
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with a decent blended Whisky ; some are every bit as nice as a single malt, but just in a slightly different way. Don't forget that a blend is simply a collection of single malts contained in one bottle!

I have some very nice blends amongst my modest collection of single malts.

This is one of my favourites for when I want a really nice smooth Whisky.

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/jsp/pro...questid=144837

Glenfarclas was actually the first ever single malt I tried, in the Lovat Arms in fort Augustus with the in-laws very early on. I can't quote the vintage, but it was served with a little jug of water and much ceremony, I suspect it cost more than a couple of quid. It was rich and complex, like a Xmas pud of a whiskey. Not my usual Islay fare, but by god it was nice. Still taste it to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    On a recent trip to Glentress/Peebles I discovered Glenfarclas and Bunahabin (can't spell it!!). Easily the 2 nicest whiskeys I've drunk. Then last weekend I tried a Yamazaki single malt and it was very similar in taste. I think these 3 whiskeys will be on my Christmas list!

Craftsman

Whisky

Feeling a bit under the weather, so I went for something Medicinal. Ardberg 10YO.

Master
    Noticed Old Putney 12 yo is down from £30 to £20 (over here at least) in Tesco – what's it like?
    Back of the outer packaging reads well.
    Last edited by PJ S; 17th December 2013 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Noticed Old Putney 12 yo is down from £30 to £20 (over here at least) in Tesco – what's it like?
    Back of the outer packaging reads well.
    I really like it, twenty pounds is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Yup a very good drop and a steal at that price, good fiver cheaper than I can find it round my way atm. Am thinking of getting the rum cask edition for my brother for Xmas in fact as the 12yo is one of his favourites.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with a decent blended Whisky ; some are every bit as nice as a single malt, but just in a slightly different way. Don't forget that a blend is simply a collection of single malts contained in one bottle!
    Whilst that is true of blends labelled 'pure malt', it isn't true of 95% of blends. Most contain at least 75% grain whisky, and often it's even higher than that. One of my favourite blends if you can find it is Hankey Bannister. It was Winston Churchills favourite blend and it isn't that expensive at about £19 a bottle. Even this which is renowned for having a high malt content is still only 35% or so malt whisky. Lidl do a palatable pure malt blend called Glen Orchy 8 year old which is pretty good at the price.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post
    Yup a very good drop and a steal at that price, good fiver cheaper than I can find it round my way atm. Am thinking of getting the rum cask edition for my brother for Xmas in fact as the 12yo is one of his favourites.
    Cheers chaps, for the feedback – think I'll give it a try.
    Just noticed the post above, from a few days back, that Aberlour was on offer at £16 – online shows it's over or is/was localised, as it's now at £23. That's one I keep meaning to try as well, after hearing good things about it.

Journeyman
    Jura Superstition, Ardbeg and Caol Isla are all open in my cabinest at the moment. Enjoy them all.

Journeyman
    Has Springbank been mentioned yet?

Early Christmas present from the GF this evening, a bottle of Yamazaki 18yr.

I think she's a keeper

Master
    Indeed, but what about the GF?
    Sounds like a good'un and might be worth hanging onto, as well.
    Last edited by PJ S; 21st December 2013 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Indeed, but what about the GF?
    Sounds like a good'un and might be worth hang on to, as well.

It'll (the bottle ) get drunk eventually, I can't see myself keeping it as an investment. One for special occasions, methinks.

Master
    Any recommendations here for Macallan 10 Year Old Fine Oak and/or Macallan 12 Year Old Sherry Oak for a newbie like me?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Any recommendations here for Macallan 10 Year Old Fine Oak and/or Macallan 12 Year Old Sherry Oak for a newbie like me?
    Both good whiskies and I'm sure you'd be happy with either but I find Macallan a bit expensive compared to some of the competition. Can generally buy older whisky from distilleries for similar prices.
    Glenfarclas 15 usually sells for a similar price to the Macallan 10 and for me is a better whisky for example. I'd also look at Glenrothes for speysiders around the same price range.

Macallan is one of those brands that I rarely buy myself these days but am more than happy to receive as a gift.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Macallan is one of those brands that I rarely buy myself these days but am more than happy to receive as a gift.
    Love this

Master
    Just been given a 16 yr. old bottle of SCAPA, never had this before, has anybody had any experience of it?
    Last edited by bobdog; 22nd December 2013 at 17:21.

Craftsman
    After braving Oxford Street this morning for some last minute shopping (and a bit of watch oggling in the Wonder Room and Omega boutique) I bought myself something.

Never had it before but enjoying a 13 year old BenRiach. A peated Speyside finished in madeira barrels. It's not overly smooth but it's very tasty with a nice sweetness combining with the initial salty hit.

Had 3 cheeky little snifters of Ardbeg 10 yr old this evening. Very pleasurable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Just been given a 16 yr. old bottle of SCAPA, never had this before, has anybody had any experience of it?
    Good whisky - I like it. Pretty easy drinking. Bourbon cask aged I think.

This years festive bottles are a Springbank 15 yo, and a Yamaziki 18 yo, both bought on the basis of younger versions tried earlier. Really enjoy cracking a new Whisky over Christmas.

Craftsman
    I have just opened a bottle of Talisker 10 - I haven't had one on the go for months and I've missed it. Simple pleasures!

Quote Originally Posted by Loddonite View Post
    I have just opened a bottle of Talisker 10 - I haven't had one on the go for months and I've missed it. Simple pleasures!
    My favourite, I always return to it.

I bought my friend (who's Scottish) a bottle of Suntory Whiskey - 12yr old Hibiki(?) for Xmas. It's a blend but so nice I bought myself a bottle too. I hope he likes it

Was partial to a 10yr old Wild Turkey a while back too

I haven't followed the whole thread but I used to always have a malt or two on the go in the house. About 9 months ago I was introduced to a new one that I hadn't come across before. The man who taught me was from a family who owned a croft on the northernmost part of Scotland. His local distillery was Old Pulteney. It's a bit special.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Go for that one! Good choice!

Have a bottle of the same Macallan waiting for me... can't wait to start!
    ... gotta love the holidays...
    Last edited by Arch_m; 24th December 2013 at 11:31.

Craftsman
    Try Springbank - it's fantastic and still family owned. The best of the mass market blends is Johnnie Walker Black Label, really good quality for the price. White Horse is the best of the cheapest blends - the main malt in it is from Lagavulin.

Master
    Wow - what a great Christmas for presents I'll actually enjoy! A Glenlivet 12 (not my favourite as I typically like a smokey one, but not a bad whisky for the right mood), Ileach which appears to be my sort of malt, and Finlaggan which I've never heard of but again, I look forward to opening.

Did anyone else get a new whisky for Chrimbo?

Craftsman
    Just opened my Christmas pressie - The Old Malt Cask, a 15 year aged Bowmore, a gentle peaty, smokey flavour. With three sons I have some educating to do, so I'm trying hard...

Master
    Balvenie 30 cracked.
    Excellent stuff.

Jura origin and bushmills blackbush. Happy days. :)

Master
    I'm just finishing the day with a nice Balvenie Caribbean cask.

How did I get to almost 60 without trying Tullamore D.E.W.?
    It's the best blend I've ever tasted!

Well, I've got to 44 and never drunk any whiskey! But, this year, whilst out for dinner a friend got his Balvenie 12 out and it was gorgeous. Luckily, swmbo noticed and I got a bottle this year. Very much enjoyed a few glasses of it last night. How did I miss this for so long?

Craftsman

Nightcap

Talisker 18yo to round off yesterday's conspicuous consumption of alcohol. Gives the Lagavulin 16 a run for it's money!

Ps Got some of those Whisky stones in addition to a bottle of Ledaig, has anyone used them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Well, I've got to 44 and never drunk any whiskey! But, this year, whilst out for dinner a friend got his Balvenie 12 out and it was gorgeous. Luckily, swmbo noticed and I got a bottle this year. Very much enjoyed a few glasses of it last night. How did I miss this for so long?
    I was "lucky" in that my dad's always been into malts so my education started in my mid teens. Plenty of time to make up for the missed years

Absolutely! And will make sure my kids get a decent education too!

Some Bowmore here as well.

Got some Highland Park, Jura and Old Pulteney for Christmas. As you can imagine, I am rather merry!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    How did I get to almost 60 without trying Tullamore D.E.W.?
    It's the best blend I've ever tasted!
    I agree it is fantastic stuff, kind of wish I picked up a bottle too the other day.

Craftsman
    So, Boxing Day and another bottle cracked open, this time a 12 year old Dalmore, and rather pleasant way to end the evening.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Got some Highland Park, Jura and Old Pulteney for Christmas. As you can imagine, I am rather merry!
    Just supping some 12yo Highland Park right now. It's rather fine.

Craftsman

First foot bottle?

I went for The Glenlivet 12yo, not likely to offend non Whisky drinkers as the Islay malts sometimes do and I don't love it enough to want to strangle those who put cola in it. Had to dismiss the Irish and Welsh contenders as it is Hogmanay :-) Slàinte

Ps Have there been any attempts to have a Whisky forum as opposed to this overseas stuff?
    Last edited by Neil T; 31st December 2013 at 02:06.

My regular whiskey for the past few years has been Talisker 10yo, a nice smooth pleasant drink which goes down easy.

This years xmas haul consisted of;

Glenfiddich 12yo
    Glenmorangie 10yo
    Talisker 'Storm' (age unknown)

And for my birthday yesterday, Dalwhinnie 15yo

Looking forward to the Dalwhinnie and the Talisker most!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just picked up a bottle of this...

Tasting Notes

On the eye light barley straw.
    Breathe in peat smoke, light zesty fruits and a hint of fresh sea air.
    Sip warm smoke, oak and delicious sweetness, balanced with a hint of zesty lime.
    Savour the robust and warm finish.

...Should be a bit of a change from the Ardbeg

z
    Quick update...

This is depleting at a frightening rate :)
    Might need to look for another bottle.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post

I have some very nice blends amongst my modest collection of single malts.

This is one of my favourites for when I want a really nice smooth Whisky.

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/jsp/pro...questid=144837
    I think I may have a slight issue with this: do not most blends contain grain whisky as well? As I understand it, grain whisky is much cheaper to produce but contains little of the subtleties and nuances of the malts.
    Also; do I recall that there is at least one single grain whisky on the market?
    I hesitate to post this in the presence of so many Whiskerati, but at least my education will be enlarged, albeit by withering comments.
    I can stand withering comments; I have been married for 41 years.

Master
    Yes, blends contain grain whisky unless they are described as blended malt in which cases they were a mix of malts.
    And there are as number of single grain bottling but they are harder to find.