closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    CS is fantastic, but so pricey now, I can remember you used to be able to get it is Asda and Makro for £25.
    I've avoided the select, it's apparently a toned down Laphroaig to appeal to the masses, Laphroaig for people who don't like Laphroaig, so not for me.

While not being a fan of any Laphroaig - that "Select" might be the same (in principle) as a bottle of Bowmore "Legend" which both I and my father bought around the same time, years back (without each other knowing)

Both of us admitted to pouring it down the sink after a couple of tries.

Master of Malt have Glenfarclas 21 Year Old on sale for £74.95 this morning.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Master of Malt have Glenfarclas 21 Year Old on sale for £74.95 this morning.
    Ordered. Good shout
    RIAC

Oh oh, here comes trouble...

Two more bottles than 4 weeks ago and a much greater variance in colour a well. Should be an entertaining evening...

Pt.2

Time to buy shares in aspirin

Not a massive Jura fan but this one has been pretty good. Finishing off tonight for sure!

That Bunna Moine is amazing. Everything you’d expect on the nose, but as soon as it goes down... Very nice surprise there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I tried this whisky at last night’s vGTG.

I think I love you.

Getting expensive this scotch habit, need a few nights to get these bottles started.

Let the competition begin. FIGHT

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Let the competition begin. FIGHT

Glenfarclas 15 is the best of the core range IMO, much as I love BenRiach I imagine the GF would come out top!

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Glenfarclas 15 is the best of the core range IMO, much as I love BenRiach I imagine the GF would come out top!
    Me too but as it happens i much prefer the Benriach. The overall flavour profile is much more dried fruit/raisiny which is right up my street. The Glenfarclas tated much more of alcohol. Still nice but not quite there.

Master
    Okay can someone help me out...without going through 62 pages i am about to get back drinking whiskey not having bought any for a number of years.

Obviously lots of ideas but one question...do you have a favourite whiskey glass that helps with the flavour/taste or should i just pour it into my old £5 whiskey tumblers.

If you have a favourite a picture would be nice to help me.

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Okay can someone help me out...without going through 62 pages i am about to get back drinking whiskey not having bought any for a number of years.

Obviously lots of ideas but one question...do you have a favourite whiskey glass that helps with the flavour/taste or should i just pour it into my old £5 whiskey tumblers.

If you have a favourite a picture would be nice to help me.

Thanks

Mark
    I've got some lovely heavy based tumblers however all my whisky is drunk from either the glass I posted in #3054 or the same type on the left in #3059.

The idea behind using these types of glasses is so that the "nose" concentrates within the glass due to its shape, this promotes the enjoyment of the spirit. Nothing much wrong in using a tumbler though if that's what you enjoy, the weight of the glass can psychologically impart an increased perception of quality in the same way that a hefty watch can feel more robust than a lighter one regardless as to any other metric.

Edit to add - as others have posted below, get yourself a Glencairn glass - I couldn't remember the name. I picked up a few when I visited some distilleries last year, if they're good enough for the distilleries when they do their tastings then they should be good enough for everyone else.
    Last edited by CardShark; 29th November 2020 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Time to buy shares in aspirin
    Paracetamol was my weapon of choice

A mixed bag of spirits that night, excuse the list format as I've C & P'd it from elsewhere -

Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine
    Penderyn Legend
    Balvenie DoubleWood 17 Year Old
    Adnams Triple Malt Whisky
    Ben Bracken Speyside
    Powers John's Lane Release 12 Year Old Single Pot Still
    Old Forester Statesman
    Glencadam Origin 1825
    The GlenDronach 18 Year Old Allardice
    Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair

The above was drunk in the order as listed, a list that was drawn randomly out of a hat. I provided the first Bunna and the GD18 (a 25 going by the bottling date, it's the darkest of the 10 in my previous 'photo) and each spirit was declared after we'd discussed and scored it - my two did quite well though someone did score the GD18 in last place...! There were some horrors amongst them, at least to my taste buds, and there was a lone bourbon thrown into the mix that was very enjoyable.

On the 11th Dec we're doing it again, though it'll be free choice of spirit so not just whiskies.
    Last edited by CardShark; 29th November 2020 at 21:07.

Glencair glasses can be bought for a fiver. They're real value adders to whisky - you smell and taste things that just waft straight past you when in a tumbler.

Journeyman
    it depends on my mood.
    A Glencairn tasting glass is great to really get to grips with taste
    Love my tullamore dew ceramic “glass”
    Lastly, the America Shot glass reminds me of the westerns i grew up with and keeps me in check - 30ml only
    F125F466-2142-436D-8338-BABB81757CA6 by joker70, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've got some lovely heavy based tumblers however all my whisky is drunk from either the glass I posted in #3054 or the same type on the left in #3059.

The idea behind using these types of glasses is so that the "nose" concentrates within the glass due to its shape, this promotes the enjoyment of the spirit. Nothing much wrong in using a tumbler though if that's what you enjoy, the weight of the glass can psychologically impart an increased perception of quality in the same way that a hefty watch can feel more robust than a lighter one regardless as to any other metric.

Edit to add - as others have posted below, get yourself a Glencairn glass - I couldn't remember the name. I picked up a few when I visited some distilleries last year, if they're good enough for the distilleries when they do their tastings then they should be good enough for everyone else.
    Thank you for your quick reply...i shall look at buying a Glencairn glass.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply...i shall look at buying a Glencairn glass.
    Which are great but delicate so also consider treating yourself to a Norlan glass. The feel of a tumbler with the function of a nosing glass
    RIAC

Craftsman
    This is a longshot, but if you don't ask... does anyone know where I could find a bottle of Midleton Very rare 2020? I'd love to get a bottle for a friend of mine!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I'm in two minds about whether to post this - I need to let everyone know how unbelievably good this is, but I've also heard that it was a limited edition and therefore bottles will be hard to get hold of, and it's a few weeks until payday until I can buy any more:

For those who don't know, Bunnahabhain (pronounced approximately "Bune-ah-vain") is one of the milder Islay distilleries, whose normal output only hints at a tiny amount of smoke, thin maltiness and a touch of peat. This Moine expression just dials all of those up a tad - not to the level of a Laphraiog or Lagavulin, but just to bring a fabulously balanced palate. In a blind tasting I'd say it would have been over £100 a bottle. It's currently on Amazon for £35. Unbelievable value.

Mine arrived this afternoon

Blog Entries
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask arrived earlier this week thanks to a heads up from Kirk280.

Tonight (in the interests of market research) I will compare ...

• Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    • Ardbeg 10
    • Ardbeg Uigeadail

All served with a drop of water ...

Results at vGTG tomorrow.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask arrived earlier this week thanks to a heads up from Kirk280.

Tonight (in the interests of market research) I will compare ...

• Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    • Ardbeg 10
    • Ardbeg Uigeadail

All served with a drop of water ...

Results at vGTG tomorrow.

z
    Surely you need to try them with and without water? Might be a tiring night!

Blog Entries
    Surely you need to try them with and without water? Might be a tiring night!
    Small portions for research, not (solely) for pleasure.
    Sampled initially without water - then with.

I’d forgotten how good Uigeadail is...

z

The QC is far more mellow than I remember it. I’ve never tried the uglygooglywoogy

Oog-a-dal, you say?

Been a long day and I'm not working tomorrow, hence a late nightcap.

Oog-a-dal

Oog-a-dal, you say?

Been a long day and I'm not working tomorrow, hence a late nightcap.

Oog-a-dal
    The whisky that got me into whisky

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Laphroaig Select for £23 at local Sainsburys. Never tried it, what do you guys reckon? Seems like the cheapest Laphroaig ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Laphroaig Select for £23 at local Sainsburys. Never tried it, what do you guys reckon? Seems like the cheapest Laphroaig ever.

See below quotes! I asked similar last week, didn't buy it after the pointers from the good folk here.

Laphroaig Select in Sainsbury's at 23 quid at the moment...I was tempted by its time spent in PX casks. But then saw it's 40% and really quite averagely reviewed.

Went for (yet more) of the QCs instead. It's a really fantastic whisky at any price, and especially so at £25. Reviewers place it far higher than the 10 too (but not the CS 10).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    CS is fantastic, but so pricey now, I can remember you used to be able to get it is Asda and Makro for £25.
    I've avoided the select, it's apparently a toned down Laphroaig to appeal to the masses, Laphroaig for people who don't like Laphroaig, so not for me.
    Laph Select isn't pleasant IMO, I tried a bottle some time back and would never bother again. I actually marginally prefer the 10 to the QC though it's by a fine margin and currently have bottles of both. When they're on sale they're a great buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    While not being a fan of any Laphroaig - that "Select" might be the same (in principle) as a bottle of Bowmore "Legend" which both I and my father bought around the same time, years back (without each other knowing)

Both of us admitted to pouring it down the sink after a couple of tries.

See below quotes! I asked similar last week, didn't buy it after the pointers from the good folk here.
    Thanks. I got the QC too, I bought the Select as I’ve never tried it and can’t really pass on a good bargain... will report back tonight maybe.

Yeah, it's not often I'd describe a whisky as rough however that's pretty much exactly what Select is.

The 10 yr is down to £26 in tesco atm with your club card. I'll have to pop in tomorrow and pick a bottle up.

Grand Master
    This week ive ordered the following

Redbreast 15 - Superb daily and less indulgent than the 21

Glenfarclas 21 - Was reduced on black friday and always well received

Midleton Method and Madness Single Pot - Looks interesting and reviews well.

Green Spot Single Pot - Again untried but think it will be a welcome addition to the cupboard of love.

RIAC

Craftsman

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    This week ive ordered the following

Redbreast 15 - Superb daily and less indulgent than the 21

Glenfarclas 21 - Was reduced on black friday and always well received

Midleton Method and Madness Single Pot - Looks interesting and reviews well.

Green Spot Single Pot - Again untried but think it will be a welcome addition to the cupboard of love.

Is that your tribute to “”Scotch Corner” Kerry?”

I quite like the Laphroaig Select. A lot sweeter than I was expecting but still some hints of smoke and tobacco. Not bad at all at that price.

Craftsman
    Just wanted to share my (whisky) pride and joy...probably the most exciting mini-project of the home redevelopment - it really is great having an old man who's an engineer...thanks, Dad - Lagavulin 16 coming your way

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Just wanted to share my (whisky) pride and joy...probably the most exciting mini-project of the home redevelopment - it really is great having an old man who's an engineer...thanks, Dad - Lagavulin 16 coming your way

And better get stocking!

Very swish job indeed, nice work

Some good deals on Amazon tonight.

Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZSFY..._Hj-ZFbYQQH8A2

Bowmore No. 1 Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70 cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XS1CW..._Pm-ZFbXFEXE37

Auchentoshan American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081NMQ8..._wo-ZFb880GYW5

Aberlour 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl (Double oak cask) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009SS9C..._Qp-ZFbE49RHCG

Cheers. I like Bowmore and that’s a great price

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    The 10 yr is down to £26 in tesco atm with your club card. I'll have to pop in tomorrow and pick a bottle up.
    Great price I got the last one in my local

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    And better get stocking!

Wow. Looks great! Well done. Iv heard of a bookcase but never a whiskycase!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Some good deals on Amazon tonight.

Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZSFY..._Hj-ZFbYQQH8A2

Bowmore No. 1 Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70 cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XS1CW..._Pm-ZFbXFEXE37

Auchentoshan American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081NMQ8..._wo-ZFb880GYW5

Aberlour 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl (Double oak cask) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009SS9C..._Qp-ZFbE49RHCG
    Good spots. Bought a couple of those. Thanks.

Re-visited Old Pulteney 17 last night. Forgot what a special sweet dram it is!

I missed the bargain basement Laphroaig Lore at £46 from Tyndrum - added to cart, had breakfast, then proceeded to check-out which showed they'd all sold out

Not surprised at that price

I missed the bargain basement Laphroaig Lore at £46 from Tyndrum - added to cart, had breakfast, then proceeded to check-out which showed they'd all sold out

Not surprised at that price
    I have not heard of the Tyndrum whisky website, but I know the Green Welly Stop well. One to watch then! The Lore is lovely stuff.

I have not heard of the Tyndrum whisky website, but I know the Green Welly Stop well. One to watch then! The Lore is lovely stuff.
    They're doing an advent calendar-type run of discounts and specials, so worth getting on their newsletter for it.

It’s a long time since I’ve had this. It’s far smoother than I remember; actually quite easy drinking.

I can think of no finer way to spend £26!

Grand Master
    Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair £26 at morrisons....early xmas pressie for me!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    It’s a long time since I’ve had this. It’s far smoother than I remember; actually quite easy drinking.

I can think of no finer way to spend £26!
    Happy birthday Kirk??? (Balloons )

I got given a bottle of that from a mate who went tea total (not nearly as much fun as he used to be)…. I became accustomed to the TCP after taste after a while

Maybe my palate isn’t sophisticated enough?

Christmas balloons mate.

No, I don’t understand it either.