closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 2535

Thread: Whiskey

  1. #2451
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I was shocked and very disappointed when on visiting Isla I learned that Diageo malt most of the barley for the distilleries on the island. Even if the distilleries stay independent, they are still under the control of Diageo in some form.
    Almost all the decent sized whisky companies trade grain to each other, even to close competitors, thereís a lot of money to be made in this field ( so to speak).

  2. #2452
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    There is not many single malts I'd recommend at your budget. You could possibly try one of these to expand your tasting experience, all current prices from amazon.

    Highland Park 12 £25 - Peated 40% abv

    Roe & Co £29.49 - Irish 45% abv

    Wild turkey 101 £28.90 - Bourbon 50.5% abv
    Last edited by DamianM; 1st November 2019 at 07:13.

  3. #2453
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    There is not many single malts I'd recommend at your budget. You could possibly try one of these to expand your tasting experience, all current prices from amazon.

    Highland Park 12 £25 - Peated 40% abv

    Roe & Co £29.49 - Irish 45% abv

    Wild turkey 101 £28.90 - Bourbon 50.5% abv

    It could be just me, but Roe & Co is not great. Its quite harsh & tastes more like a liqueur or something else than a whiskey.
    I think it could make a great ingredient for cocktails with its strong pear influence, but as a whiskey to sip and enjoy, it just isnt that, at least to my pallet.

  4. #2454
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    It could be just me, but Roe & Co is not great. Its quite harsh & tastes more like a liqueur or something else than a whiskey.
    I think it could make a great ingredient for cocktails with its strong pear influence, but as a whiskey to sip and enjoy, it just isnt that, at least to my pallet.
    What would you recommend?

  5. #2455
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    7,094
    Blog Entries
    69
    Just back from the USA with a couple of Rye Whiskies (which I like on the rocks)
    Our US office is in NC so I thought I’d try the local Rye...
    ...& while I was away the Tullibardine 20 arrived.

    Happy days.



    z
    Last edited by zelig; 1st November 2019 at 15:34.

  6. #2456
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    160
    Any recommendations for Ardmore single malt, itís £20 in Asda £31.50 in co-op.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  7. #2457
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    It could be just me, but Roe & Co is not great. Its quite harsh & tastes more like a liqueur or something else than a whiskey.
    I think it could make a great ingredient for cocktails with its strong pear influence, but as a whiskey to sip and enjoy, it just isnt that, at least to my pallet.
    Everybody's palette is different, for me it's one of the best buys at that sort of money.

    Imo it leagues above any of the watered down swill that most distilleries are throwing out at £20 odd quid a bottle. This is only £24 in tesco atm, I'll pick up another one of it pover the weekend for sure.

    The whisky game has moved on a lot even since I began my journey 4 yrs ago. The price of the good stuff has nearly doubled and we are left with just run of the mill NAS bottling to fill the void at the cheaper end of the price scale.

    Laphroaig 10 is superb if you can get accustomed to the taste. Apart from Bushmills 12 which is a distillery exclusive, you need to go £50+ to get something really nice to sip over, Imo of course

  8. #2458
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    What would you recommend?
    For that money, bushmills black bush. OK so it's technically not a single malt, it's a blend but it has a very high percentage of malt, with a lot of biscuity goodness and its quite sherried.

    Its my go to whiskey and I'd drink more of this than anything else, because it's as good as others at twice the price, and it's also super affordable. Yes there are better whiskeys but they are 3 times the cost and that doesn't mean this is bad, it's still really really good.

    Value for money, it can't be beat.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushmills-B...ck+bush&sr=8-3

  9. #2459
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Everybody's palette is different, for me it's one of the best buys at that sort of money.

    Imo it leagues above any of the watered down swill that most distilleries are throwing out at £20 odd quid a bottle. This is only £24 in tesco atm, I'll pick up another one of it pover the weekend for sure.

    The whisky game has moved on a lot even since I began my journey 4 yrs ago. The price of the good stuff has nearly doubled and we are left with just run of the mill NAS bottling to fill the void at the cheaper end of the price scale.

    Laphroaig 10 is superb if you can get accustomed to the taste. Apart from Bushmills 12 which is a distillery exclusive, you need to go £50+ to get something really nice to sip over, Imo of course
    Depends on the distillery, famous grouse, sure it beats that junk without trying, but your standard Jameson at 20 quid or cheaper is, IMHO far more drinkable. A little boring perhaps but still tasty.

  10. #2460
    Old Perth

    For the money and less than £30 a bottle it's one of the best blends out there. I know, a blend but if you like sherried tipples it's good stuff.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  11. #2461
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    9,575
    After enjoying the first so much I've picked up 2 bottles of the Ben Bracken from Lidl

    https://whiskeybon.com/scotch/lidl-b...eyside-review/

    At an astonishing 9.99 euro a bottle, I thought it rude not to.

  12. #2462
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Depends on the distillery, famous grouse, sure it beats that junk without trying, but your standard Jameson at 20 quid or cheaper is, IMHO far more drinkable. A little boring perhaps but still tasty.
    If you like std jameson you might like mcgregors proper 12, quite similar in taste. A few quid more about £26 locally with me.

  13. #2463
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    I think this packaging sums up Laphroaig 10


    Going to buy this for a Xmas gift for my brother

  14. #2464
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    If you like std jameson you might like mcgregors proper 12, quite similar in taste. A few quid more about £26 locally with me.
    I've tried proper 12 and I'm not a fan. The only quality it shares with Jameson is its ability to function well with different mixers, it's not overpowering. But where Jameson still has a character of its own when drank neat, proper 12 seems lacking, like it needs a mixer to be of any value. Jameson is subtle, which is why it is so good in cocktails but also why good neat, it's still a good whiskey in its own right with character and depth, even if it's subtle. One sit quietly with neat std jameaon and enjoy it, explore it, but that can't be said for proper 12

  15. #2465
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I've tried proper 12 and I'm not a fan. The only quality it shares with Jameson is its ability to function well with different mixers, it's not overpowering. But where Jameson still has a character of its own when drank neat, proper 12 seems lacking, like it needs a mixer to be of any value. Jameson is subtle, which is why it is so good in cocktails but also why good neat, it's still a good whiskey in its own right with character and depth, even if it's subtle. One sit quietly with neat std jameaon and enjoy it, explore it, but that can't be said for proper 12
    I'd probably steer more towards the P12 myself as I'm more of a fan of the Bushmills style than Jameson. Blenders dog is probably the only one from their core range that I buy.

    They are what they are, run of the mill drinking whiskeys for the masses to be paired with your favorite mixer. They have their uses and I always have a bottle in the cupboard.

    Luckily for us there's plenty of offerings to please everyones diverse preferences.

  16. #2466
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Sunday evening dram

  17. #2467
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .se
    Posts
    368
    Question for you ppl in the know.
    I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, only take one when I feel the sniffles coming on.
    About 10 years ago I visited Yoichi and bought a small 50cl bottling that might only have been available there. 12yo single cask.
    I understand some whiskeys shoot up in price and get sought after and just want to make sure I don't waste something 'rare' or 'good' on sniffles-whiskey.
    Think I have a gifted Mackmyra somewhere that would do me as good..

  18. #2468
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,472


    Nice to be appreciated.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  19. #2469
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post


    Nice to be appreciated.
    Superb whiskey

  20. #2470
    Craftsman Integrale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    404
    Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #2471
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    That seems to be the going rate for it even online, but you would have to prob pay delivery charge on top. if you have a waitrose local to you then you should just pick it up there.

  22. #2472
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Costco always used to have it for around 38 quid a bottle - however it has been a couple of years since I've been UK based so may no longer be the case!

  23. #2473
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Costco always used to have it for around 38 quid a bottle - however it has been a couple of years since I've been UK based so may no longer be the case!
    You are correct, Costco is still the place to get it

  24. #2474
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Fancied something Peated tonight.

  25. #2475
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    N Ireland
    Posts
    29
    Currently enjoying a glass of Jameson's Cask Mates Stout Edition. Easy drinking and incredibly good value. 👌

  26. #2476
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Costco always used to have it for around 38 quid a bottle - however it has been a couple of years since I've been UK based so may no longer be the case!
    I was in Costco today and it's £46 with vat

  27. #2477



    Just had this delivered may have a few doubles tonight, see what it’s like!!
    Last edited by Hooshabak; 15th November 2019 at 18:49.

  28. #2478
    Master endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post



    Just had this delivered may have a few doubles tonight, see what itís like!!
    Snap!


    Although technically ours is the Post office as they couldnt deliver today :(

  29. #2479
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post


    Nice to be appreciated.
    Been toying with trying Irish whisky as the Scottish just doesn't agree with me. Be interested to hear what you think of it

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  30. #2480
    Journeyman TomRea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    105
    I much prefer Irish but then Iím biased 🥃


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  31. #2481
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you don't need it immediately, Amazon. I have a price alert set up with Camel Camel Camel and it comes up now and again at £43.xx.

    Pretty much all whiskey on Amazon will show up heavily discounted sooner or later.

  32. #2482
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,072
    Another one picked up from the post office today.




  33. #2483
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Another one picked up from the post office today.



    Drinker or investment?

  34. #2484
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Posts
    195
    Off to Irish, Japanese and Taiwanese...


  35. #2485
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Question?
    Cheapest or most predictable place to buy 16 yr Laguvulin.
    Cheapest I can find at the mo is £50 in Waitrose?
    Help
    More a note for the future. If you get a Waitrose card you periodically get vouchers through. We just got £8 off £40 spend, £10 off £50 and £12 off £60 through. Given they normally have a decent range and good amounts off bottles in turn it can be a handy way to get a decent deal.

  36. #2486
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Been toying with trying Irish whisky as the Scottish just doesn't agree with me. Be interested to hear what you think of it

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    This is ver very nice. The 15 year is great value too.

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  37. #2487
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,635
    Two sherry casks arrived today. Will report back when I crack them.


  38. #2488
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Two sherry casks arrived today. Will report back when I crack them.

    My number 1 and 2 distilleries. Glendronach 18 is magnificent and if you have a 2019 bottle is actually 24 years old. Bunna is awesome although I prefer their cask finishes and special editions.

  39. #2489
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Glendronach 18 is magnificent and if you have a 2019 bottle is actually 24 years old.
    Interesting. Why is that?

    Is there anyway to identify if the bottle is 2019?

  40. #2490
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Interesting. Why is that?

    Is there anyway to identify if the bottle is 2019?
    There should be a printed batch date in black near the bottom at the back - you may need to hold the bottle up to light for it to be more obvious.

    The distillery was closed from 1996 to 2002... and legally the every drop of the whisky cannot be younger than the stated age. The distillery re-opened in May 2002, which is 17 1/2 years ago so the liquid must be from 1996 or earlier. And of course the average price of a 24yo whisky is more like £250 so you've just scooped up a massive bargain.

  41. #2491
    Journeyman DamianM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    162
    Last edited by DamianM; 19th November 2019 at 16:53.

  42. #2492
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    There should be a printed batch date in black near the bottom at the back - you may need to hold the bottle up to light for it to be more obvious.

    The distillery was closed from 1996 to 2002... and legally the every drop of the whisky cannot be younger than the stated age. The distillery re-opened in May 2002, which is 17 1/2 years ago so the liquid must be from 1996 or earlier. And of course the average price of a 24yo whisky is more like £250 so you've just scooped up a massive bargain.
    Well there you go. I couldn't see it for looking! 25/06/2019.

    Thanks for the info.

  43. #2493
    I'm going to guess that it had something to do with the mothballing of the distillery for a six year period in 1995, might be wrong though and would also be interested to hear how you identify the bottle as I've the 18 as well.

    Edit - just read IanBear's response!

  44. #2494
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Well there you go. I couldn't see it for looking! 25/06/2019.

    Thanks for the info.
    The 2019 vatting is exceptional. Rachel Barrie has done wonders with it.

    PS I do loads of whisky stuff on Instagram - @poshscotch for a shameless plug. And if anyone else is interested we have a few watch and whisky people at the London Whisky Club - if anyone wants details PM me.

  45. #2495
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    There should be a printed batch date in black near the bottom at the back - you may need to hold the bottle up to light for it to be more obvious.

    The distillery was closed from 1996 to 2002... and legally the every drop of the whisky cannot be younger than the stated age. The distillery re-opened in May 2002, which is 17 1/2 years ago so the liquid must be from 1996 or earlier. And of course the average price of a 24yo whisky is more like £250 so you've just scooped up a massive bargain.
    I'll have to wait until I check my bottle however, if mine is a 2019, it may go some way to explain why what's inside it is much darker than Glenfarclas' 18, another 100% sherry cask maturation.

    Edit - I meant the 21 Glenfarclas, not 18.
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th November 2019 at 17:22.

  46. #2496
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    The 2019 vatting is exceptional. Rachel Barrie has done wonders with it.

    PS I do loads of whisky stuff on Instagram - @poshscotch for a shameless plug. And if anyone else is interested we have a few watch and whisky people at the London Whisky Club - if anyone wants details PM me.
    Gonna have to buy another now. Drink one, save one. You never know?

    Just started to follow you on IG, but it's not something I use very often.

  47. #2497
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I'll have to wait until I check my bottle however, if mine is a 2019, it may go some way to explain why what's inside it is much darker than Glenfarclas' 18, another 100% sherry cask maturation.

    Edit - I meant the 21 Glenfarclas, not 18.
    Glendronach only use 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks. Glenfarclas have a different house style and will use some 3 or 4 times. They may also be buying less active casks that had sherry in for less time or lighter sherries. All kinds of reasons!

  48. #2498

    Whiskey


    Ready for a few pals who are coming round .... Suspect there wonít be much of the Glendronach left later ...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #2499
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

    Ready for a few pals who are coming round .... Suspect there wonít be much of the Glendronach left later ...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's by far the best of those althoug none are bad!

  50. #2500
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Glendronach only use 1st and 2nd fill sherry casks. Glenfarclas have a different house style and will use some 3 or 4 times. They may also be buying less active casks that had sherry in for less time or lighter sherries. All kinds of reasons!
    Thanks for that, I'm not sure why however I was of the understanding that Glenfarclas was only 1st and 2nd fill.

    I've checked the bottling date of my Glendronach and it's the same date as the bottle above - 25/06/19! Just need to decide on getting another...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information