closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

At this rate you’ll soon be educating me on whisky!

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered for the cupboard stock

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

and duly tried and tested against these

Master
    How’s it compare - two arrived yesterday?
    Finished the Glenlivet last night.
    Arran10 arrived today.

Had my 6 monthly dip into he 1962 Tamdhu last night. Modern whisky is great in its own way and i love much of what the industry is doing but this stuff has the power to transport me to another world. Barley grown in the summer i was born and old sherry casks. The casks were so well lived in before the spirit touched them that there isn't a hint of young oak just a cloak of sherry around still vibrant energetic liquor.

At my age there are few experiences that delight as completely as this stuff does. If you ever get the chance to taste a completely mature sherry monster like this i'd heartily recommend it.
    Last edited by raysablade; 28th August 2020 at 00:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Arran10 arrived today.

Very nice - going to sleep well tonight!!

Seems quite popular on here and I know why.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Has anyone tried this yet? I’m out of ‘drinking whisky’

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Yes. A nice whiskey with a bit of spice. I picked one up last night for £17! Thanks to Darren for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Me too…. Big thanks to Zelig

Eminently quaffable… a sweetish smooth speyside with a sherry hit…. What’s not to like.? Was a billy bargain at £17…. Would have brought more of them had I known it was so pleasant…

I’d buy two or three if that deal reappeared - gifts etc obvs 🙄

Thanks all...ordered!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolute sublime big bit jealous enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Had my 6 monthly dip into he 1962 Tamdhu last night. Modern whisky is great in its own way and i love much of what the industry is doing but this stuff has the power to transport me to another world. Barley grown in the summer i was born and old sherry casks. The casks were so well lived in before the spirit touched them that there isn't a hint of young oak just a cloak of sherry around still vibrant energetic liquor.

At my age there are few experiences that delight as completely as this stuff does. If you ever get the chance to taste a completely mature sherry monster like this i'd heartily recommend it.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Arran10 arrived today.
    Well, i know it's only 5pm but not doing anything of note tonight so in an attempt to answer, here goes with my not very knowledgeable palate.

Cardhu- nose is very vanilla like, maybe butterscotch. Someone i know gets ginger, not me.
    Palate- biscuity and to me lingers longer on the palate than the other two.

Tamnavulin- nose is stewed fruits, don't ask me which ones, don't have enough experience.
    Palate- slightly spicy at the backend and i get nuts late on also.

Glen moray- nose is more musty almost like hay smells??
    Palate- can't pin anything down with this, maybe raisins.

When i first tasted all 3 together i liked the Cardhu least but not today. Think the order in which you taste makes a difference.

I know a bit about beer flavours having been in the business but malt is a whole different, complex and beguiling game.

Journeyman
    Nikka is cracking everyday whisky and the perfect introduction to Japanese whisky I think. I've seen enough posts about it on here that I think I am going to need to have a dram or two tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Seems quite popular on here and I know why.

The Tamnavulin was a bit of a bargain for £17! A nice straightforward drinking whisky.

Edit: one drop of water kills it.

Perhaps some Swedish whisky? 4 samples plus a free glass for £16.90 with the checkout code NEWSUBSCRIBER

https://mackmyra.co.uk/products/online-tasting-set

Just booked some days on Islay. Cannot. Wait.

Though Bunnahabhain is closed...alas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

The shop is open at least

Master
    Perhaps some Swedish whisky? 4 samples plus a free glass for £16.90 with the checkout code NEWSUBSCRIBER

Cheers, free glass, nice been looking for proper whiskey glass.

Just got back from a good break in Scotland.

• Saw the new Lagg distillery on Arran it looks very impressive on top of a cliff looking out to sea. Not sure about their ambition to out peat Islay but time will tell. They were offering samples of an Arran Souwester that i thought would be a good value introduction for anyone starting out on Islay whisky. Peat, I'm guessing Laphroaig, attempted to dominate but held in check by a good dose of standard Arran malt
    • Tasting of some special editions at the Arran distillery, all were good and interesting but the absolute star was this sherry monster expensive but worth a lot more in my view, less that 300 bottled and well worth putting away for a particularly cold and dismal winter night. I also managed to buy their last bottle of the 14 which has been phased out, more's the pity.
    • Next Aberfeldy which a was a bit of an odd tour and one that well over an hour without seeing inside the distillery operation is one that I would avoid until after the current restrictions are over. Was interesting for them to explain what a tiny proportion of Aberfeldy is bottled. 99% iirc goes into the various Dewars brands. The tasting they put on illustrated that and reminded me that Aberfeldy 16 is a fine easy drinking mass market single malt.
    • Dalwhinnie was interesting they explained their place in the Diageo brand and bravely served their standard 15 single malt first. I've long liked this one and found that none of the three that followed, a couple at over twice the price, stood comparison.
    • Bair Athol in Pitlochry is another Diageo operation and they extended the work that had been started at Dalwhinnie, particularly good insight into how their product is a big part of the base for the Bells blends. Really enjoyed their standard product and an Auchroisk from nearby.

All in all a good break, we did a lot more than visit distilleries, and a decent haul.

PS: This amused me.

Last edited by raysablade; 7th September 2020 at 11:52.

I spent a few days there last September - enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Just got back from a good break in Scotland.

• Next Aberfeldy which a was a bit of an odd tour and one that well over an hour without seeing inside the distillery operation is one that I would avoid until after the current restrictions are over. Was interesting for them to explain what a tiny proportion of Aberfeldy is bottled. 99% iirc goes into the various Dewars brands. The tasting they put on illustrated that and reminded me that Aberfeldy 16 is a fine easy drinking mass market single malt.

I did that tour ten years ago, and it was just as crap then.

My favourite part was where the video at the beginning kept affirming the importance of the distillery's location in the highland mountain air, helping the whisky to age with a beautiful clear flavour...

...then on the tour they showed us the tiny warehouse, where a lorry was loading up barrels to be taken elsewhere as there wasn't enough space to age it all onsite. I asked where that was. Turns out it's an industrial estate in a suburb of Glasgow. And not a nice one.

Master
    Little delivery today for me!

Master

Arrived today.

Arrived today.
    Seems like a good deal for 50ml bottles!

A birthday treat from my mate Kippax (Wes). Looking forward to testing it out. Attachment 18305

Recent Islay trip shows which tasting won between Ardbeg and Lagavulin...not at all what I expected given my memory of Lagavlin and my previous tucking into Ardbeg 10!

Ardbeg have recently focussed on the younger bottlings, making a much stronger and more heavily peated whisky. As I can see from your choices there, you've gone for the older Lagavulins, which will mellow the flavours, and allow the malt to develop into a more rounded dram.

I like both approaches, depending on the mood. I've recently bought the new Ardbeg "Wee Beastie" after enjoying their "Very Young" and "Still Young" years ago, but when I was last on Islay (we actually stayed in a hut on the beach at Lagavulin) I left with some very old Lagavulins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Ardbeg have recently focussed on the younger bottlings, making a much stronger and more heavily peated whisky. As I can see from your choices there, you've gone for the older Lagavulins, which will mellow the flavours, and allow the malt to develop into a more rounded dram.

I like both approaches, depending on the mood. I've recently bought the new Ardbeg "Wee Beastie" after enjoying their "Very Young" and "Still Young" years ago, but when I was last on Islay (we actually stayed in a hut on the beach at Lagavulin) I left with some very old Lagavulins as well.
    You're entirely correct. I'm also not a fan of Lagavulin's 8. The only currently available one they confirmed being older than the 10 was the 19 year old Traigh Bhan. Presumably there are some oldies in some of the NAS ones though.

I imagine Ardbeg's creations will return to my tastes after a while. Whilst the Ard 10 was my top spot before I visited there, the Lagavulin 16 distiller's edition (PX sherry finish) is my current go-to.

I did rather enjoy Octomore 9.1 (5 year old), which reminded me of a much more interesting Ardbeg 10. It changed hugely over time in the glass and was far more approachable than I expected. I'm hoping maybe the 10 year old from the series 11 releasing in a couple of days will be actually purchasable.

Tullibardine Sauternes 225 in Sainsbury's for £30. Would have been rude not to

Some Bunnahabhain 7/8 year old moine oloroso for this evening. Tastes very promising, but need to see what water does to it (59.2%)

Just placed an order with Master of Malt. Luckily it will arrive after Thursday’s vGTG!

A couple of the latest releases from Octomore have just arrived. 11.3 for starters.

A couple of the latest releases from Octomore have just arrived. 11.3 for starters.

Beautiful bottle and packaging!

Beautiful bottle and packaging!
    Indeed, they know how to make it look rather alluring. They may have taken things a little too far though, as I would like more blurb on the tin/bottle - a shame to have to head to the website to read about this brew.

Indeed, they know how to make it look rather alluring. They may have taken things a little too far though, as I would like more blurb on the tin/bottle - a shame to have to head to the website to read about this brew.
    From reading online reviews it sounds amazing, what’s your opinion of it?

Blog Entries
    in the brief interlude between lockdowns I have amassed enough hotel points for this...

After spending eighteen years in refill oak,
    this Tomatin is married in Oloroso sherry casks
    to round it out and add a layer of sweet dried fruit flavours.
    World Whiskies Awards 2014: Best Highland Single Malt 13-20yo 46% ABV.
    Should be here in a few weeks

z
    Last edited by zelig; 7th October 2020 at 15:29.

From reading online reviews it sounds amazing, what’s your opinion of it?
    I've only tried two of their releases - this 11.3 and the 9.1 (the 11.2 I've yet to open). They all differ quite substantially in their treatment, especially in terms of amount of peating, so I don't know how representative mine have been of their overall releases. I expect the 10 year old to be really quite different, for example (the two I've tried are 5).

A ~15 mL dram of the 11.3 194 PPM filled the sitting room with a smoked pork frankfurter scent after about 30 minutes. It's really quite potent at a distance. However, in the glass it's remarkably approachable, with definite campfire/charcoal scent but also a little medicinal. I'd suggest on the phenolic front, it sits closer to Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg's campfire phenols than Laphroaig's medicinal. Heavy on the paprika nose too.

It's the freshest spirit I can recall tasting, it reminded me of a newly damp field of wheat with it being so fresh and sweet, with an extremely rich and (good) oily mouthfeel.

I'll be revisiting it today, as I suspect it to be one that changes enormously with more time in the glass, plus some differing amounts of water.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 7th October 2020 at 14:18.

Journeyman

Teeling Small Batch

Teeling Small Batch "Small Batch Irish whiskey is made with a blend of malt and grain whiskeys, initially aged in ex-Bourbon barrels"
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...batch-whiskey/

Really lovely

I had a friend round a few weeks ago and we wound up on the whiskey (in the garden, socially distanced, in the dark, watching bats and utterly hammered).

Having finished the Talisker, I reached into the back of the cupboard and pulled out my favourite; the Distillers ed. Lagavullin, a 1997. Haven't had any for a while and I'd forgotten how smooth it is. Friend was new to the Dist. Ed. & was very impressed by the stuff. As a thankyou for the watch strap I'd just made for him for his 50th he drunkenly promised to buy a replacement bottle for me.

Next morning I looked up the cost of a '97. They didn't have it as apparently it's the most popular 'recent' vintage. But they did have a '98 & I had no idea they were quite that expensive.

True to his word, my mate did order a replacement bottle of the latest distiller's vintage. Just need to find an excuse to open it now.
    I'm thinking: "because the '97 should be saved for special occasions."

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I had a friend round a few weeks ago and we wound up on the whiskey (in the garden, socially distanced, in the dark, watching bats and utterly hammered).

Having finished the Talisker, I reached into the back of the cupboard and pulled out my favourite; the Distillers ed. Lagavullin, a 1997. Haven't had any for a while and I'd forgotten how smooth it is. Friend was new to the Dist. Ed. & was very impressed by the stuff. As a thankyou for the watch strap I'd just made for him for his 50th he drunkenly promised to buy a replacement bottle for me.

Next morning I looked up the cost of a '97. They didn't have it as apparently it's the most popular 'recent' vintage. But they did have a '98 & I had no idea they were quite that expensive.

True to his word, my mate did order a replacement bottle of the latest distiller's vintage. Just need to find an excuse to open it now.
    I'm thinking: "because the '97 should be saved for special occasions."

Any other suggestions?
    I've only tried the most recent release of it, and it's possibly my favourite current whisky. It's extremely moreish.

I am liking this.

Craftsman
    I've been working through a bottle of Green Spot.

A fantastic, easy drinking, yet deeply enjoyable dram. Gooseberry, apples and more

Highly recommended

Master
    For crying out loud - if it's scotch then it's whisky not whiskey !!!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    For crying out loud - if it's scotch then it's whisky not whiskey !!!

maseman
    Put a sock in it, Jaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I am liking this.
    Some good stuff coming out of Ledaig (and Tobermory and the rest of the Distell stable).
    Just a shame the latest releases have been priced so high; I appreciate that the owners need to recoup the not-insubstantial investment in the distillery (last year they replaced *everything* which might make post-19 spirit a bit of a Trigger's Broom) but those prices are toppy...
    Last edited by Broussard; 11th October 2020 at 16:11.

Blog Entries
    Seem to be some cracking deals at Tesco currently if you have a club card

Picked up some Jura journey for £22…. Had plenty of other stuff with similar discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Seem to be some cracking deals at Tesco currently if you have a club card

Picked up some Jura journey for £22…. Had plenty of other stuff with similar discounts
    Jura is swill though. You couldn't pay me £22 to drink a bottle of the stuff.

How they can keep getting it so consistently wrong is beyond me. It must be on purpose.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Was very kindly gifted the below last week. Its a lovely drop.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...xoC_WQQAvD_BwE

Craftsman
    Nothing much wrong with Jura Journey, decent enough dram and great value at current prices.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app