closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,800 of 4128

Thread: Whiskey

Friend of mine sent me this link - his friend started this. Looks really interesting. Not sure if this is old news but I didn't know them at all. https://kilchomandistillery.com/our-...v=79cba1185463

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Friend of mine sent me this link - his friend started this. Looks really interesting. Not sure if this is old news but I didn't know them at all. https://kilchomandistillery.com/our-...v=79cba1185463
    So far I've only tried the 100% Islay 7th edition and the Sanaig, really liked both of them.

Yep. It was a good night.

I’ve even found some pickled eggs to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Nothing better than a box full of drams

I'm working tomorrow, so plan on starting into mine tomorrow night.
    I will hold off commenting on them until you’ve tried them all, then we should compare notes.

I battered through all of them last night on a virtual whisky session. We aimed to drink them in a light to strong flavour order.

There was some surprises! (The hangover today is unsurprising...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I will hold off commenting on them until you’ve tried them all, then we should compare notes.

I battered through all of them last night on a virtual whisky session. We aimed to drink them in a light to strong flavour order.

There was some surprises! (The hangover today is unsurprising...)
    Thats an A + for effort for sure.

I'll forgo the hangover and probably break them down into maybe 4's or 6's over a few different nights. I will take a few notes too and we can compare them when I'm finished.

The peated ones will be first as I'm very keen to try the Laphroaig lore.

We saved the peaty ones for last, with the Lore being the final one.

We saved the peaty ones for last, with the Lore being the final one.
    First batch done. The lore sample is what attracted me to the sample set.

Have to say I was very underwhelmed by the lore. Imo it's high abv is hiding a rather lack lustre bottling. Rather subdued peat with no stand out individual components. Just an OK dram but way overpriced.

I would choose the 10 over it any day of the week. For the price of the lore, I'd go for the 10 CS, it would blow the socks of the lore in comparison.

The Oban was just OK, the Glen scotia was pure rubbing alcohol. Would make a good hand sanitiser and nothing else.

I did like the talisker porte ruighe, would put it on the to buy list.
    Last edited by DamianM; 23rd June 2020 at 21:58.

Ha ha tastes are so personal. Out of the 12, my top two were 1. Lore and 2. Glen Scotia!

(3. Auchentoshan, 4. Talisker).

And no the Lore wasn’t the best just because it was last! It’s like a more rounded Laphroaig. All three of us on the virtual tasting session liked those 4 the best, in different orders.

Any more you didn’t like? I’ll add them onto my ‘to purchase’ list!

Ha ha tastes are so personal. Out of the 12, my top two were 1. Lore and 2. Glen Scotia!

And no the Lore wasn’t the best just because it was last! It’s like a more rounded Laphroaig. All three of us on the virtual tasting session liked those 4 the best, in different orders.

If you thought they where the best of the bunch I'm not holding out much hope for the rest of the samples lol!

Your right the lore is rounded and that's why I don't really like It. I prefer the rawness of the 10. It has everything I want in a peated whisky, a decent amount of smoke without going overboard, a rich mouth feel and tiny bit of sweetness in the finish.

I don't rate the lore any more than the select or quarter cask. None of them offer anything that make them stand out amongst the crowd. Imo they are just run of the mill nas offerings, and in the case of the lore way overpriced. Others may love them but they just aren't for me.

I haven't gotten round to the others yet, but I will in due course and update on them. I don't expect to find any stand out drams among them but it's alway nice to try a few new flavours to expand the whisky pallette.

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan of the regular 10 and it's my go too, always in the cupboard Peated offering.
    Thoughts on the 10m CS

Craftsman
    Arranged a zoom whisky tasting session with some friends this week - we thought the Whisky on the Year 2020 nominees on Whisky Exchange were a good idea...some really interesting drams and a thoroughly enjoyable evening (of course)!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Thoughts on the 10m CS

Wow that's quite the collection of CS 10 yr old I've tried a few different yrs and have liked them all, with a few drops of water.

Usually they are hard to get hold of as they normally sell out within minutes of going on sale. But this is the first yr I've see bottles hanging about and even discounted on the likes of the whisky shop atm. Perhaps it's not as good this yr or maybe with what's going on less people have been in a spending mood. Have you a favourite among them?

Craftsman
    Wow that's quite the collection of CS 10 yr old I've tried a few different yrs and have liked them all, with a few drops of water.

Usually they are hard to get hold of as they normally sell out within minutes of going on sale. But this is the first yr I've see bottles hanging about and even discounted on the likes of the whisky shop atm. Perhaps it's not as good this yr or maybe with what's going on less people have been in a spending mood. Have you a favourite among them?
    Batch 001 & 004 for me, I'd like to get a couple more bottles of the 004 but they are hard to track down & the price keeps

Batch 012 just got released at the start of June, not tried it yet I'll compare once I've opened to the bottle. Interesting to see batch 012 discounted already I'm guessing it's to do with global spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batch 001 & 004 for me, I'd like to get a couple more bottles of the 004 but they are hard to track down & the price keeps

Batch 012 just got released at the start of June, not tried it yet I'll compare once I've opened to the bottle. Interesting to see batch 012 discounted already I'm guessing it's to do with global spending.

I haven't tried any of those earlier bottling's, but I'm not surprised that they are better than the more recent offerings. Seems to be a recurring trend lately amongst a lot of distilleries.

I don't know if you've seen one of ralfy's recent videos on youtube about miniatures. He cracks open a 20cl of walker red label from the 60's, and the expression on his face says it all really. Shows how quality of the spirits has dropped over the years as demand has increased.

Birthday boy with two prezzies

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Birthday boy with two prezzies

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu this week too. Happy birthday.

Cheers

Craftsman

Just opened this last night. It’s really nice, with a bit of sweetness and bitter like a typical Old Fashioned.

Are there any other SMWS members on the forum?

A package arrived from Arran today.

Whilst the tin contained the main event, these metal “posters“ are something of a bargain at £5 each.

Nice gift - never had Deanston before ....

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Nice gift - never had Deanston before ....
    It's good stuff. I've done the tour there, very nice. Decent facility down by the Teith. They've been making whisky for blending for years, only recently started producing more of their own branded stuff.

The whisky shop has some cracking deals on bushmills 16yr and 21yr if anyone wants to stock up.

Picked up a bottle of this earlier in the week. Full of dust and on the reduced shelf. £25!! Bargain and pretty decent tipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Picked up a bottle of this earlier in the week. Full of dust and on the reduced shelf. £25!! Bargain and pretty decent tipple.

I seen this in my local tesco last night and it was £55, so you done well there!

I was getting low on bourbon so picked this one up.

A triple, triple distilled delivery today from the whisky shop.

I've heard very good things on this thread about the 21, I can't believe that I'm sticking to my guns in finishing a bottle or three before buying any more else I'd have a bottle for myself. At that discounted price, I hope I don't look back with regret.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've heard very good things on this thread about the 21, I can't believe that I'm sticking to my guns in finishing a bottle or three before buying any more else I'd have a bottle for myself. At that discounted price, I hope I don't look back with regret.
    The rumours are true, it is a rather special dram. Just seen that they dropped the price a little more to tempt you lol!

Had these ones last weekend and a much better selection of samples.

Jura 18 was the least favourite, just ok nose and pallette but a very bitter aftertaste which spoilt it for me.

Bowmore 18 was decent enough, but nothing really stood out. Just an average dram overall.

It was a close one between the BenRiach 21 temporis and the Loch lomand 18 for the favourite of the night. The nose on the BenRiach was superb but I thought the peat was just a little over powering, almost masking all the other flavours.The Loch lomand was a little less vibrant on the noise but just delicious on the palette. I wish I could have had a few more of this one.

The nose of the BenRiach combined with the palette of the Loch lomand would be an awesome dram.

I'd really like to try a non peated BenRiach 21, I think it would be fantastic.

Craftsman
    Moved my collection from one cupboard to another and thought I'd catalogue in photo's while I was at it. So here's my whisky SOTC based on purchases and gifts over the years.
    Not all to my personal taste but I don't drink it all myself.

Love the Cs, my favourite Laphroaig, in fact my favourite Islay just ahead of Lagavulin. Used to buy it regularly about 10-12 years ago, you could pick it up in Makro and occasionally Asda for £25, if I only knew the prices it would go for now, I'd have cleared the shelves instead of getting just the one.
    Got a bottle of Smokehead being delivered from amazon today.

I’ve recently been converted to Lagaluvin 16 year old. Didn’t think I would like it having a sweeter palate but was blown away by its complexity.
    Funny thing is it reminds me of the proper smokehouse smoked bacon I had from Fortunes of Whitby (obviously not the bacon itself but the wonderful smokey after taste).
    Any other fans?

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    Moved my collection from one cupboard to another and thought I'd catalogue in photo's while I was at it. So here's my whisky SOTC based on purchases and gifts over the years.
    Not all to my personal taste but I don't drink it all myself.
    You have plenty of choice there, something for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve recently been converted to Lagaluvin 16 year old. Didn’t think I would like it having a sweeter palate but was blown away by its complexity.
    Funny thing is it reminds me of the proper smokehouse smoked bacon I had from Fortunes of Whitby (obviously not the bacon itself but the wonderful smokey after taste).
    Any other fans?
    Someone bought me a bottle of the 12 yr 2017 special release, was tasty stuff. Haven't gotten around to trying anymore of the range. Just too many whiskies to chose from.

Journeyman
    Big Macallan fan and have tended to keep to Scotch whiskys so far but fancy something different... anyone got a decent recommendation for a Japanese whisky?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    Big Macallan fan and have tended to keep to Scotch whiskys so far but fancy something different... anyone got a decent recommendation for a Japanese whisky?
    I'd say Suntory Hibiki Harmony as the most rounded introduction to Japanese whisky...although if the budget allows, Yamazaki 12 is the reference point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I'd say Suntory Hibiki Harmony as the most rounded introduction to Japanese whisky...although if the budget allows, Yamazaki 12 is the reference point for me.

I would suggest Taketsuru Malt and Mars Maltage Cosmo as good entries to Japanese whiskies.

Master
    Yamazaki is nice but for sherried whisky Scotch is better value. Hakushu is different in a good way, Hibiki 17 and 21 are excellent too.

Nikka from the barrel is one of my favourites, I recommend it to everyone I can!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Nikka from the barrel is one of my favourites, I recommend it to everyone I can!
    +1 excellent suggestion. Splash of water and your away. Lovely!

+2. One drop of water though, not a spash!

+2. One drop of water though, not a spash!
    Time to get the pipettes out!

Time to get the pipettes out!
    ^^^ You must know me Sir!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    did you know that tesco own brand islay malt 10yr is a caol ila? £17 too! :D

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Hibiki 17 and 21 are excellent too.
    They should be at c175£ and c450£ respectively...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Edit - those were the Sold Out MoM prices. TWE has Hibiki 17 for 550£ (limited to six bottles per person).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    cheaper at auction than current shop prices, but they are both mad. Should have bought caseloads 3-4 years ago, the % price increases make sports Rolex look pathetic.

Decided to join the club.

What are we drinking tonight then?

My week has definitely been a Redbreast 21 kind of week! Best nose I’ve come across.

What are we drinking tonight then?

My week has definitely been a Redbreast 21 kind of week! Best nose I’ve come across.

That's one of my favourite Irish Whiskey's.

Tonight it's a dram or 2 from its northern cousin.

That's one of my favourite Irish Whiskey's.

Tonight it's a dram or 2 from its northern cousin.
    Good shout, I’ve not tried it yet but it’s on the list.